HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Part 2) #37: Flyers @ Kings - Thursday, Dec. 30, 2010

Old
12-31-2010, 10:10 AM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Timonen is like the Dos Equis guy.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 10:19 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Winna winna chicken dinna

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:08 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Leighton still sucks. good thing Bernier played like ****.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:29 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Really? Did you even watch the game?
Did you? He didn't have a great game, but it wasn't like watching it was terrifying. He made some good saves and had some slip ups. He played well enough to stop 32 shots. Two goals he should have had, but he is shaking off the cobwebs and the D played pretty awful. I don't think anyone expected him to dominate out there and I also don't think anyone said he did. He played well enough to get the W and that is 100% all that matters. He didn't earn the starting job back by any means, but he also didn't write himself off.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Did you? He didn't have a great game, but it wasn't like watching it was terrifying. He made some good saves and had some slip ups. He played well enough to stop 32 shots. Two goals he should have had, but he is shaking off the cobwebs and the D played pretty awful. I don't think anyone expected him to dominate out there and I also don't think anyone said he did. He played well enough to get the W and that is 100% all that matters. He didn't earn the starting job back by any means, but he also didn't write himself off.
It was HORRIBLY terrifying. Every time LA wound up to take a shot, my heart stopped, because all they had to do was miss his body and it would go in. He had about...what, two athletic saves not related to his size?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:52 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It was HORRIBLY terrifying. Every time LA wound up to take a shot, my heart stopped, because all they had to do was miss his body and it would go in. He had about...what, two athletic saves not related to his size?
Yeah he had one great pad save and one blocker save that were great. But they were overruled by 2 plays where he was way out of his crease and got bailed out

Old
12-31-2010, 11:56 AM
Ryker

Quote:
I don't want to defend Leighton, because I did think he let in some really soft goals, was slow in general, and didn't play a good game in general. That said, why would he need to make athletic saves? As long as he gets saves, that's enough. If he positions himself well enough to take advantage of his size, then that's better than being out of position and having to rely on those highlight reel athletic saves some goalies make. Because good positioning is there every time, whereas those tough saves are, well, tough to make, and you don't get them every time.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:00 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

I'm sorry, but Leighton was awful. Aw. Ful.
He started playing good after that crease cluster**** early in the 3rd, but before that he was horrible.

I remember one good save before that. In the second on Handzus, where JMFJ scored 10 seconds later.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:07 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I don't want to defend Leighton, because I did think he let in some really soft goals, was slow in general, and didn't play a good game in general. That said, why would he need to make athletic saves? As long as he gets saves, that's enough. If he positions himself well enough to take advantage of his size, then that's better than being out of position and having to rely on those highlight reel athletic saves some goalies make. Because good positioning is there every time, whereas those tough saves are, well, tough to make, and you don't get them every time.
As long as he's making that first save, I'm generally pretty forgiving of MFL. But we're paying him way too much for a "first save only" goalie.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Ryker

Yeah, don't get me wrong, we need a better goalie than him if we're to go all the way. I'm just saying it isn't as clear-cut as some posters make it out to be. How much is he getting anyway? And how much are Boosh and Bob getting? I know I saw some numbers somewhere, but I can't recall where that was and what they were.

Old
12-31-2010, 12:36 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

If any goalie is going to score with their rebound, it will be Leighton, since Esche is no longer in the NHL

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:44 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Yeah, don't get me wrong, we need a better goalie than him if we're to go all the way. I'm just saying it isn't as clear-cut as some posters make it out to be. How much is he getting anyway? And how much are Boosh and Bob getting? I know I saw some numbers somewhere, but I can't recall where that was and what they were.
Leighton- 1.55 million per year
Boucher 925k
Bob- 900k + Potential rookie bonuses up to 1,750,00 max

Old
12-31-2010, 01:13 PM
Ryker

Thanks for the numbres. I guess it's a weird situation with goalies in Philly, and it has been for years. It's tough finding that number one, especially with so much cap space already given out to Carter, Briere, Richards, Giroux, Pronger and Timonen. So I can kind of understand the management in that they're trying to just make the best out of the situation, where none of the three goalies has proven he can be that first pick every game. Bob shows promise, but a lot of goales do and did. Also, he's been up and down in a couple of games from what I hear, so I don't think it's as easy as saying just go with him and **** the rest.

Old
12-31-2010, 02:11 PM
HoverCarle*

I am fine with giving Boucher and Leighton games, but at this point I think Leighton needs a lot more practice before getting anymore starts

Old
01-01-2011, 11:18 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Isn't that all anyone has to do to score a goal?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:25 PM
reverend duder

i was at the game and here is my two cents:

leighton was awful. i shat a brick every time the kings took a shot. he was often out of position and let in soft goals not too mention another one that almost went in from another improbable angle. i was not happy when i heard leighton would be in net as this was my one chance to see the flyers live this year. it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

some poor defensive positioning and poor zone clearing. inconsistent forechecking. some nice goals and pretty shots. not enough hitting by the flyers. i love lavi more every game, hes not afraid to make changes to get results. lavi is also the best timeout caller i have ever seen, fwiw. not the best game i have seen but watching a win is always good. i expect to see a well oiled machine come playoff time.

plenty of flyers fans in the house. kings fans are weak. their favorite come back is go get a cheese steak. last year i responded with atleast we have something thats ours what do you guys have? the kings fan answer "we have SUSHI"...after i was done laughing i explained to the poor ignorant soul that sushi is japanese....that sums up king fans. lots of flyer families in the house which is nice to see, start them off young. there was a family sitting next to me and it was the one kids first flyers game. there was another family a few rows back and after some yappin by a stupid kings fans this nine year old flyers girl told him "you smell like dirty feet". i was dying with laughter!!! a nine year old girl flyers fan telling off a grown kings fan! awesome, just awesome.

reverend duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Isn't that all anyone has to do to score a goal?
Provided the goalie is unable to effectively move his body and or limbs to stop a shot, yes.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend duder View Post
i was at the game and here is my two cents:

leighton was awful. i shat a brick every time the kings took a shot. he was often out of position and let in soft goals not too mention another one that almost went in from another improbable angle. i was not happy when i heard leighton would be in net as this was my one chance to see the flyers live this year. it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

some poor defensive positioning and poor zone clearing. inconsistent forechecking. some nice goals and pretty shots. not enough hitting by the flyers. i love lavi more every game, hes not afraid to make changes to get results. lavi is also the best timeout caller i have ever seen, fwiw. not the best game i have seen but watching a win is always good. i expect to see a well oiled machine come playoff time.

plenty of flyers fans in the house. kings fans are weak. their favorite come back is go get a cheese steak. last year i responded with atleast we have something thats ours what do you guys have? the kings fan answer "we have SUSHI"...after i was done laughing i explained to the poor ignorant soul that sushi is japanese....that sums up king fans. lots of flyer families in the house which is nice to see, start them off young. there was a family sitting next to me and it was the one kids first flyers game. there was another family a few rows back and after some yappin by a stupid kings fans this nine year old flyers girl told him "you smell like dirty feet". i was dying with laughter!!! a nine year old girl flyers fan telling off a grown kings fan! awesome, just awesome.
This works brilliantly on two levels given the amount of former Flyers that seem to make their way to or through the Kings organization.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Leighton's goaltending philosophy is to just shuffle his size into an angle where it's likely the puck will hit him. If there's more to making a save than kicking out a pad, there's a scary good chance it will go in. If someone gets off a great shot that is going to sneak into the net without hitting his chest, and he needs to use his hands, it seems to be a 50/50 shot of going in. That's what I was referring to...if the puck is going someplace where his body is currently located, he isn't terribly good at moving a body part to get in the way. Yet, he makes more money than Boosh and Turco.

edit: hell, it doesn't need to even be a great shot. It just needs to be high enough to make him use his arms. Miss Leighton's center mass, and it's more likely you will score a goal on him than on any other NHL goalie...especially a starter, which Leighton supposedly is.

Old
01-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Ryker

Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm getting this right, but you seem to be saying Leighton is a whizard when it comes to positioning and shifting his body around into the proper direction. Taking into account he is unable to use his arms to stop pucks 50% of the time and looking at his stats, he then seems to be the best goalie in the league by far as far as positioning is concerned. To play the chances to his advantage that way, he must also be a probability mastermind. You seem to be giving a lot of credit to a guy you supposedly hate

Old
01-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm getting this right, but you seem to be saying Leighton is a whizard when it comes to positioning and shifting his body around into the proper direction. Taking into account he is unable to use his arms to stop pucks 50% of the time and looking at his stats, he then seems to be the best goalie in the league by far as far as positioning is concerned. To play the chances to his advantage that way, he must also be a probability mastermind. You seem to be giving a lot of credit to a guy you supposedly hate
I don't hate him. And yeah. He has good size, and his positioning on first shots is generally good. When it isn't, though...ugh.