HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Beauchemin drawing interest

Old
12-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Bobo Fett*

vCash: 500
lol@doing great.

Yes thank god for his elite level of defensive play. He sure is helping ward off all those goals and chances!

Leafs defence is one of the worst in the league and so is the goaltending

Bobo Fett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:44 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
I thought Schenn goes up against the elites night after night and was already a "top pairing" dman.
Just more of Wilson being Wilson. Schenn has been without a shadow of a doubt the Leafs best defenseman this season, but he's playing the second pairing. Beauchemin and Phaneuf are the top tandem and top shutdown unit for Toronto.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:51 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Beauchemin really bothered me last year with a horrible first impression (bad pinches, trying to do too much, consistent turnovers), but this year he's been a lot better IMO. Some Leaf fans either like what he brings, others just don't like him. Personally, I think he's a good second-pairing defender that would be ideal on a lot of contenders, paired with a solid skating defender. Reason why I think he's been a lot better is because I haven't noticed him as much - which is good in his case.

I'd certainly rid the Maple Leafs of a few other defenders (i.e. Mike Komisarek and Brett Lebda) before Beauchemin, but he seems to be the one of the few who would bring some value back that we can move.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:51 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
But thats only 15(?) games. 20 minutes a night is not top pairing minutes, its mid pairing minutes.
I never said he was getting top pairing minutes now, but hes getting quite a bit. He had 22:47 minutes last night, which is basically a number 3 d man's minutes, hes playing behind Phaneuf and Beauch.

Luke's great play has helped make a guy like Beauch expendable. He isn't the only reason, but I'm sure hes helped.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:52 PM
EternallyLeafs
doris

Quote:
But thats only 15(?) games. 20 minutes a night is not top pairing minutes, its mid pairing minutes.
I think what he's getting at is, Schenn does have a lot of responsibilities for the Blue & White. He might not play huge minutes, but on a personal level he has gone head to head with the stars of this league and he has handled himself on the PK.

You really have to watch him in the corners and along the sideboards to truly appreciate what he brings to the table and how he can definitely be a "Foote" clone in a couple years. He shouldn't take nearly as much **** as he does by fans of other teams who desperately want to see him fail because of their Leaf hate. Leaf fans love him because like Kulemin, he does a lot of the little things very well. This in-turn, leads me to believe that he is more than capable of becoming a top pairing shutdown defenseman in the following years.

EternallyLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:53 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Beauchemin really bothered me last year with a horrible first impression (bad pinches, trying to do too much, consistent turnovers), but this year he's been a lot better IMO. Some Leaf fans either like what he brings, others just don't like him. Personally, I think he's a good second-pairing defender that would be ideal on a lot of contenders, paired with a solid skating defender. Reason why I think he's been a lot better is because I haven't noticed him as much - which is good in his case.

I'd certainly rid the Maple Leafs of a few other defenders (i.e. Mike Komisarek and Brett Lebda) before Beauchemin, but he seems to be the one of the few who would bring some value back that we can move.
Exactly, agree 100%

GoLeafsGo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Leafs fans made Beauchemin their whipping boy the first week of his contract. He's quite a good defenseman, but what Leafs Nation ignores is that he's a second pairing defender being paid second pairing money going up against the absolute elite of the NHL night after night. He's a guy who plays better as the number three (look how well he did in Anaheim), but he's being asked to play above his talent level. That's not his fault.
That had more to do with being protected by Pronger and Neidermeyer, but I agree Beauch is a descent #3 slightly overpaid, but a #3 on half the teams in the league so that's were he fits.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:58 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
That had more to do with being protected by Pronger and Neidermeyer.
You're just repeating what I said. He played well when he wasn't relied upon to be the number one guy, and was Anaheim's best defender in their cup run.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyLeafs View Post
Just more of Wilson being Wilson. Schenn has been without a shadow of a doubt the Leafs best defenseman this season, but he's playing the second pairing. Beauchemin and Phaneuf are the top tandem and top shutdown unit for Toronto.
That sounds about right.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...12+13+14+15+16

Looks like Beauchemin is taking most of the quality competition even strength, and then Phanuef, with Schenn and Kaberle getting the other team's 2nd/3rd lines.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:06 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Beauchemin has been playing very well as of late, so if we do trade him, i hope it's for a first, or for a young player with top definite top 6 upside.
I don't see the Leafs getting a first at best a 2nd with maybe a prospect but I see it more like a 3rd. IMO I think Bieska who may be available is currently the better player so teams have options.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:08 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Beauchemin is regularily the Leafs top minute guy, and it increased from about 23/night to 25/night when Phaneuf went down. When healthy, they have for the most part had the ice time pretty even amongst the top 4 with each ranging between 22:30 and 24:00 in a non-overtime game. Beauchemin-Phaneuf usually draws the top defensive matchup when they do line-match; which isn't every night.

This is why he's averaged 23:59 over the season while Kaberle is at 23:01, Phaneuf at 23:00, and Schenn at 22:22.

Last edited by seanlinden: 12-31-2010 at 02:14 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:11 PM
bobbyflex

Beauchemin could possibly fetch a 2nd. Kaberle a 1st. That will help the rebuild immensely

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:13 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I don't see the Leafs getting a first at best a 2nd with maybe a prospect but I see it more like a 3rd. IMO I think Bieska who may be available is currently the better player so teams have options.
Yeah a first is hopeful, but not out of the realm of possibility (but i do expect a 2nd).

A third is definitely too low, and there is no way i would give Beauch away for that.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:14 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Beauchemin could possibly fetch a 2nd. Kaberle a 1st. That will help the rebuild immensely
Those are probably accurate...kabs won't get you a non-playoff pick but should get you in the 20-30 from a team like Boston

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:16 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
lol no it wouldn't... at least not "immensely"

Maybe if the pick was top 5-10

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:17 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Those are probably accurate...kabs won't get you a non-playoff pick but should get you in the 20-30 from a team like Boston
It's a shame the Leafs wouldn't just go into rebuild mode, because i hardly see Burke just trading Kaberle for a pick. He will want a roster player in return and will probably receive a fringe 2nd liner for Kaberle (which won't help us at all).

With that said, i don't expect Kaberle to be traded at all, and Beauchemin is the only defenseman on the team that we can actually trade for value.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Ryan English
@ryanenglish_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
He's been passable getting 25 minutes a night. I suspect he'd be excellent with 20 minutes a night.

I'd offer Phoenix's 2nd, David Schlemko(a young bottom-pairing type with a little upside left) and Nick Ross(Brad's Brother, former first rounder, long-shot prospect, desperately in need of a change of scenery).
i think thats good for both teams, beauch would fit in well with the yotes but i think the value leans a little bit towards toronto.

i like it though

Ryan English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:18 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
teams will have to pay more for Bieska IMO

plus he's pretty injury prone.....don't get me wrong,,,he's way better than Beauchemin....but he always seems to be banged up.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:20 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
my ideal trade for kabs would be to the rangers for their 1st and maybe throw in a prospect like Werek or Thomas (both Toronto kids)

kaberle would definitely take a borderline playoff team to the next level

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:20 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
Very ideal assumption, I concur with you on this one. Nj needs the depth and we need offense. Rolston is not my ideal pick but... anyone else works
Step away from the thesaurus.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:22 PM
leafsfuture

I have said this since Jan 31st, Phaneuf and Gunnarsson have made Beauchemin and Komisarek expendable. Get rid of those two and our D looks something like this:

Kaberle -- Schenn
Phaneuf -- Gunnarsson
Aulie -- Lebda

Then next season, extend Kaberle, waive Lebda, sign a guy like Ian White and go with this:

Kaberle (5) -- Schenn (3)
Phaneuf (6.5) -- White (3)
Aulie (650k)-- Gunnarsson (1.2)
Holzer (500k)

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:25 PM
LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Gerard View Post
i think thats good for both teams, beauch would fit in well with the yotes but i think the value leans a little bit towards toronto.

i like it though
A 2nd round pick + garbage would be overpaying for PHX? We traded somebody who probably won't even make the NHL for a 2nd round pick last summer in Jimmy Hayes.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:32 PM
leafsfan2903

Beauchemin has been pretty bad this year. He played well with Neidermeyer, but I would love for Burke to get rid of him for some decent return, maybe like a 2nd round pick. Then maybe Aulie could get some more play time, as he looked good within his limited play time. Anything right now needs to be changed right now.

leafsfan2903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:34 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Dreger is Dave Nonis' brother in law. I trust his word more then any other media guy.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:35 PM
leafsfan2903

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
I have said this since Jan 31st, Phaneuf and Gunnarsson have made Beauchemin and Komisarek expendable. Get rid of those two and our D looks something like this:

Kaberle -- Schenn
Phaneuf -- Gunnarsson
Aulie -- Lebda

Then next season, extend Kaberle, waive Lebda, sign a guy like Ian White and go with this:

Kaberle (5) -- Schenn (3)
Phaneuf (6.5) -- White (3)
Aulie (650k)-- Gunnarsson (1.2)
Holzer (500k)
I like this idea. It frees up money from the blue line so that maybe Burke can get some talent from the free agent pool for next year. It also allows for Aulie and Gunnarsson to play for a full year, and all three lines seem like they have shut down capabilities. Maybe, Burke can pull some magic like he did last year and pull off getting rid of bad contracts like he did last year.

leafsfan2903 is offline   Reply With Quote