HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#38: Flyers @ Ducks - Friday, Dec. 31, 2010 - 8:00 PM (ET)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2011, 02:42 AM
  #276
Mike2000z28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philly, now montreal
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
Was at my friends house so i didn't get to watch the game, but i see we pulled yet another Eric Lindros take the night off syndrome again. I just love how people on here flame me when i say they are very disinterested/lazy, but how many times do we have to lose to crappy ass teams again with zero effort. When Pronger went down, i knew we would lose a few, but the effort has been ridiculously lousy. Pronger blocks many shots and just brings a calm on the backend the guys obviously feed off of and without him you get this excuse of a team. Im just tired of these taking nights off. A couple more losses and we are looking at like 6th in the conference. Tampa Bay, Atlanta are coming on strong. I can easily see us fighting for a playoff spot by the end of the season.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:08 AM
  #277
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Garbage Goal, I have one question for you: Who would you have signed instead?

Ellis, the guy who is completely falling apart in Tampa? Turco, who is having a pretty bad season in Chicago himself? Niemi, who is having identical stats to Turco on in my opinion a better team? Nabokov, who was impossible to be signed on the teams budget because he's a greedy son of a *****?

Who exactly would you have brought in the system? You seem to think that you can fix any problem overnight and seem to believe that you are a better general manager than Holmgren is, so who exactly would you have signed?



Do you know why nobody would have wanted to discuss it when we weren't having goalie troubles? Because they weren't having goalie troubles! Tautological, I know, because it's the ****ing truth. We didn't have ****ing goalie problems all year and in fact our goaltending was pretty outstanding all season long. At one point, both Bob and Boosh where in the top 10 of SV% and GAA.

I would also argue that there isn't a goaltending problem right now (except trying to explore which of the three we're going to cut, and yes, it does seem like Leighton is the odd man out, though he deserves a few more games for that to be established). The key difference between the last couple of games and the games we've played before is simple to point out: Pronger. A lot of the goals we've given up as of recent have come out of defensive errors and the D-core needs to learn to get their **** together and function without Pronger.

It also doesn't help that the team has only scored 11 goals in 4 games either, 7 of which came in one game. Winning a hockey game takes more than a single player. It takes the whole team. Conversely, it is usually false to blame a single player for a loss. If you are going "Oh, we've been losing, it's the goaltending's fault, the goaltending's I tell you" you only show that you have no clue and have been drinking the Kool-Aid from other fans.

I also have no clue what you expect from Bobrovsky. He's inexperienced yes, but when are we going to bring up a young player into a franchise goaltender that everybody wants us to have without him ever being inexperienced at first? He needs to get experience somehow. I also find your listing of lack of experience also somewhat humorous. Brodeur played a total of 32 AHL games. Price played 12. So ****ing what? "AHL seasoning" is something that can be helpful and can be desirable, but it isn't a necessity and it isn't what makes a goaltender great.


But since you have all the answers, tell me, what would you have done if you were in Holmgren's position?


Last edited by chaosof99*: 01-01-2011 at 06:03 AM.
chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 05:37 AM
  #278
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Not saying "I told you so". Just bringing back up a topic that no one seemed willing to discuss or admit to back when we weren't having goalie troubles.

Sorry for bringing up a topic of conversation about hockey on a hockey forum though. How rude of me.



Yes, banking on a unknown rookie with little pro experience, no goalie coaching experience, and no NA experience to bring us to the promise land is the definition of smart.

Also, he talked to Nabokov and Turco before free agency even started and gave them what was, at the time, low-ball offers (at least for them). Then he signed Michael ****ing Leighton to be our starter before free agency even started. Any person with brains and common sense can tell that that isn't a serious attempt at fixing the goalie problem, especially considering that it was an oversaturated goalie market that summer.

He didn't explore the free agent market at all and obviously wasn't interested in trading for a goalie. Thus there was no legitimate attempt at fixing the goalie situation.

This is even without getting into the fact that he signed an NHL scrub in Leighton to be our starter and then, on top of that, he ended up being injured. He's lucky he fell ass backwards into Bobrovsky being ready enough to play this year.
I like contradictions.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:10 AM
  #279
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Hiller played well and stopped a few real good chances, but Flyers breakdowns cost them dearly. This team in general has a problem getting caught flat footed and it becomes much more noticeable when there's no Pronger to bail them out. I'm on pins and needles every time Bartulis is on the ice and have zero faith in special teams at the moment.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:33 AM
  #280
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,469
vCash: 500
we can't keep rotating three goalies

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:05 AM
  #281
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
I saw only a part of the game, maybe about half of the game.

We were outplayed on D and we were outplayed in goal. It was NOT about effort, Flyers put 35 SOG. Also, did someone suggest that we are outplayed by crappy teams on regular basis? Ducks are crappy? Van crappy? We had 3 really bad games this year, against Columbus, Florida and Van. That someone needs to ****. We have 10 loses. 3rd best in the NHL.

Anyway, Homer must make a trade for a goalie. I want Roloson. Seems like NYI are dealing already. I do not think we will win SC with Leighton, Bobrovsky or Boucher as #1. Homer needs to get it done.

Bobrovsky to AHL, Leighton waived, seems like Boucher is on his game this year unlike last year so give him a chance (can't believe I am saying it) if Boucher ****s up bring Bobrovsky.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:34 AM
  #282
DenverBoone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
How was matt carle +/- 0 tonight, i swear he was at fault for at least two goals, maybe three, i used to love the guy, and thought it was amazing when we got him, but the start of this year and the last half of last he's been abysmal defensively, i duno if he's trying to do to much offensively to get things going and gets caught out, or just isnt as good as he's supposed to be (what i think), i duno whats going on, but when summat goes wrong on D it seems number 25 is always on the ice, and the only reason for his decent plus minus is that he can start a breakout and is on one of the highest scoring teams in the league. I really thought that he would develop into a damn good d-man, and while he is competant-ish he just frustrates me constantly on D, moreso than anyone else. I mean, coburn can play D and clear the puck from the zone, check and clear the front of the net out, as well as being damn deceptively fast, mez is offensively good, lays out people and has a strong stick (usually), and decent in own zone, prongs and kimo are obviously gods, and o'donnell is a good dman, even though hes slow and sometimes pisses me of with his whiffed clearences. This year carle just seems to be the guy other offences target, without prongs he seems lost, i know his stats suggest otherwise, but he just seems to be unable to understand how to play D when you analyse it play by play. Please call me out on this if im being too harsh, i just really am beginning to dislike the guy when i used to think he was the third best dman after prongs and kimmo (which is a massive compliment imo, but that now seems to be mez imo.) Bad start to a new year , though we (the english!) have defo claimed the ashes in style!

And happy new year! Its been the teenies for 4 hours here, and still it feels the same, maybe even worse, the flyers lost, and my brother walked dog **** into the house when he let the new year in!
How old are you???

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:35 AM
  #283
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I saw only a part of the game, maybe about half of the game.

We were outplayed on D and we were outplayed in goal. It was NOT about effort, Flyers put 35 SOG. Also, did someone suggest that we are outplayed by crappy teams on regular basis? Ducks are crappy? Van crappy? We had 3 really bad games this year, against Columbus, Florida and Van. That someone needs to ****. We have 10 loses. 3rd best in the NHL.

Anyway, Homer must make a trade for a goalie. I want Roloson. Seems like NYI are dealing already. I do not think we will win SC with Leighton, Bobrovsky or Boucher as #1. Homer needs to get it done.

Bobrovsky to AHL, Leighton waived, seems like Boucher is on his game this year unlike last year so give him a chance (can't believe I am saying it) if Boucher ****s up bring Bobrovsky.
leighton and boucher agree 100%. The rushkie probably 90% but he is the best option right now, or is he? Is he still the stud goalie so many were convinced he was only a month ago? Either way they need to ride him now and find out. no more rotating. If they do go into the playoffs with 2 of these 3 they will likely have the same end result since 75. Having a solid rock in goal would do wonders for this team. You have to move some depth so what as it will still make the team better overall, depending who is moved of course. You cant convince me these players like the goalies they have and deep down know they are not good enough to get it done.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:38 AM
  #284
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Also, did someone suggest that we are outplayed by crappy teams on regular basis? Ducks are crappy? Van crappy?
I agree, I think Anaheim showed they are really good even without Getzlaf. Granted, Perry and Ryan didn't show that much without him, but the other lines were buzzing, and even though they seemed beatable, they still proved they are a good team, with some of their D playing really good. Plus, I couldn't help but notice their speed was way above ours, at least last game.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 10:22 AM
  #285
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 29,103
vCash: 673
does it really matter what place this team finishes in, we have seen before that they can beat teams who have better records. just make sure they qualify for the playoffs and are healthy.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 10:25 AM
  #286
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
We need one of our goalies to steal a game for once

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 10:42 AM
  #287
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Garbage Goal, I have one question for you: Who would you have signed instead?

Ellis, the guy who is completely falling apart in Tampa? Turco, who is having a pretty bad season in Chicago himself? Niemi, who is having identical stats to Turco on in my opinion a better team? Nabokov, who was impossible to be signed on the teams budget because he's a greedy son of a *****?

Who exactly would you have brought in the system? You seem to think that you can fix any problem overnight and seem to believe that you are a better general manager than Holmgren is, so who exactly would you have signed?
Apparently you missed my entire post where I said this:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It's not that he didn't go after a specific goalie, it's that he literally didn't try at all and went with the worst goalie(s) possible. With the over-saturation of the market and knowing how much all those goalies signed for in retrospect, there's no reason why Homer couldn't have gotten one or even two goalies.

If he makes a decent free agent signing and it fails, fine, people will recognize that he did his best and there was nothing else he could do. As it is, he didn't even try and took the worst route possible. That's quite a feat of fail right there.



No one says we need "a super goalie". We're just asking for our GM to try and get an acceptable one. With acceptable meaning decent.
Also, a goalie posting stats somewhere else doesn't mean he's going to post the same stats here. Leighton, of all people, should have proven that to you by now.

I also never said that I would be a better GM then Paul Holmgren. So apparently you can't read and you're stuffing words in my mouth.

Quote:
Do you know why nobody would have wanted to discuss it when we weren't having goalie troubles? Because they weren't having goalie troubles! Tautological, I know, because it's the ****ing truth. We didn't have ****ing goalie problems all year and in fact our goaltending was pretty outstanding all season long. At one point, both Bob and Boosh where in the top 10 of SV% and GAA.
Just because the problem is masked doesn't mean you can't acknowledge or discuss the possibility of it.

Then again, I'm sure Boosh is the type of goalie that can carry a team to a Cup and I'm sure rookies don't tend to flair out and get weaker as the season progresses. Leighton posted pretty stats last year too, but we knew he was a weakness anyways and look how that turned out in the end.

Quote:
I would also argue that there isn't a goaltending problem right now (except trying to explore which of the three we're going to cut, and yes, it does seem like Leighton is the odd man out, though he deserves a few more games for that to be established). The key difference between the last couple of games and the games we've played before is simple to point out: Pronger. A lot of the goals we've given up as of recent have come out of defensive errors and the D-core needs to learn to get their **** together and function without Pronger.
It's a mix of our defense playing like crap and our goalies giving up weak goals and/or playing average. Our defense hasn't been good this road trip, but neither has our goaltending.

Goaltending could potentially work out for us in the end. I already acknowledged that. It's possible we could win the Cup, but just look at what I posted earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I'm not saying we don't have what it takes to win the Cup, far from that, but relying on shaky goaltending isn't smart and last year showed that it isn't a safe bet. Granted, this team is better then last year's (at least on paper) and Bobrovsky is more talented then Leighton, but the point still stands.

I mean, these are the two guys we're relying on to be starters for a cup contender:

Bobrovsky
-22 years old
-No North American hockey experience prior to this season
-No goalie coaching experience prior to this season
-A career high of 35 games played in a season
-A total of 76 games played in his career prior to this season
-An NHL rookie with no AHL seasoning

Leighton
-Shouldn't even have to explain why...but he's a career scrub that shows barely enough talent to even play in the NHL
-He also gave up quite possibly the worst Cup winning goal ever in the history of the NHL last year that lost us the Cup

I mean...why am I the only one who seems actively concerned about this?
If you don't see a problem there...then I have no clue what to tell you. We're relying on an extremely raw rookie that's looked average himself for quite a while now. If Bobrovsky doesn't work out then we're back to the same exact goalie duo as last year. It could work out in the end, but I doubt it.

Quote:
It also doesn't help that the team has only scored 11 goals in 4 games either, 7 of which came in one game. Winning a hockey game takes more than a single player. It takes the whole team.
Depends on the game. Can't really make blanket statements like this because every game is different.

They've also given up 23 goals in the last four games. So scoring itself isn't the only problem. I can't remember as far back as the Florida game. There was only two goals blamable on the defense in the Vancouver game and Boosh did as well as I expect a backup to. The goaltending was extremely weak in the LA game and almost lost it for us despite scoring seven goals for. The goaltending in the last game was pretty mediocre to below average. That fifth goal against was slightly weak and two of the other four I would describe as "stoppable".

Your offense isn't gonna put up great numbers every night. Just like your defense isn't gonna put up a great performance every night or like your goalie won't either. Sometimes you need one of those three areas to shine to mask the deficiency of the others. Which is why two goals for should be good enough to win as long as the defense and goaltending play up to par.

Quote:
Conversely, it is usually false to blame a single player for a loss. If you are going "Oh, we've been losing, it's the goaltending's fault, the goaltending's I tell you" you only show that you have no clue and have been drinking the Kool-Aid from other fans.
Again, blanket statements aren't a good way to go about things. Depends on the game. If the offense only scores five goals in the LA game then it's definitely Michael Leighton that lost us the game. Just like how he lost us the last game of the SCF.

I never said that goaltending is the reason we've been losing. It's been a reason, but the defense and offense haven't been doing well either. I'm discussing goaltending concerns, not our goaltending for the last three or so games.

Quote:
I also have no clue what you expect from Bobrovsky. He's inexperienced yes, but when are we going to bring up a young player into a franchise goaltender that everybody wants us to have without him ever being inexperienced at first? He needs to get experience somehow.
Aside from the fact that you don't have to be in the NHL to get NA experience in, I never complained about Bobrovsky being in the NHL. So you're just making up stuff again or have really bad reading comprehension.

Quote:
I also find your listing of lack of experience also somewhat humorous. Brodeur played a total of 32 AHL games. Price played 12. So ****ing what? "AHL seasoning" is something that can be helpful and can be desirable, but it isn't a necessity and it isn't what makes a goaltender great.
What a crappy comparison. Ignoring the fact that you just compared a raw rookie that has yet to prove anything to Brodeur and Price, the comparison makes no sense.

Brodeur had around 200 games of NA experience before his first serious stint in the NHL and Price has over 200 games of NA experience in the WHL and AHL in his career. They also have both had goalie coaches throughout the majority of their careers, had many more career games played in pro leagues then Bobrovsky had coming into this season, and probably also had bigger career highs in games played then Bobrovsky had coming into this seaosn.

Even besides all that, you're missing the point. I never said Bobrovsky needed to be in the AHL. So, again, you have really bad reading comprehension or you're making stuff up.

Quote:
But since you have all the answers, tell me, what would you have done if you were in Holmgren's position?
Yeah, never said I have all the answer. So thanks for making **** up again for about the fourth or fifth time.

As for the goalie situation, I would have at least made an attempt to sign a good free agent in the summer. That and not overpay Michael ****ing Leighton, of all people, to be our starter. Or at least dump Boosh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
I like contradictions.
You need to learn the definition of what the word contradiction means.

Before free agency began isn't free agency. It's before it. Just like before Winter isn't Winter.


Last edited by Garbage Goal: 01-01-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:29 AM
  #288
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Brodeur had around 200 games of NA experience before his first serious stint in the NHL and Price has over 200 games of NA experience in the WHL and AHL in his career. They also have both had goalie coaches throughout the majority of their careers, had many more career games played in pro leagues then Bobrovsky had coming into this season, and probably also had bigger career highs in games played then Bobrovsky had coming into this seaosn.
Whoa, hold on now. Bobrovsky had 100 games of professional hockey under his belt prior to coming to the Flyers at age 21 (turning 22). You say price has over 200 games of NA experience, and you include WHL in that, as well. Well, if you do that, you need to take into account Bobrovsky's games in the Russian youth system, too. Looking at, say, Price's career record prior to his stint with the Canadiens, Bobrovsky's actually looks more impressive to me by a long shot. The level of play in the Russian league is way above WHL, and Price's 200 games you allude consisted mostly of WHL experience and a paltry 12 games in the AHL (which is not at the level of KHL, either, the only thing that gets it closer to the NHL is the similarity in the style of play). Same goes for Brodeur. I don't know where you found 200 games, but all I see is a couple of seasons in the QMJHL. So you may argue that we got a cat in the bag with Bobrovsky, but you can't say that is because of his lack of experience, because he clearly has more than most of the goalies coming into the NHL.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:33 AM
  #289
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Whoa, hold on now. Bobrovsky had 100 games of professional hockey under his belt prior to coming to the Flyers at age 21 (turning 22). You say price has over 200 games of NA experience, and you include WHL in that, as well. Well, if you do that, you need to take into account Bobrovsky's games in the Russian youth system, too. Looking at, say, Price's career record prior to his stint with the Canadiens, Bobrovsky's actually looks more impressive to me by a long shot. The level of play in the Russian league is way above WHL, and Price's 200 games you allude consisted mostly of WHL experience and a paltry 12 games in the AHL (which is not at the level of KHL, either, the only thing that gets it closer to the NHL is the similarity in the style of play). Same goes for Brodeur. I don't know where you found 200 games, but all I see is a couple of seasons in the QMJHL. So you may argue that we got a cat in the bag with Bobrovsky, but you can't say that is because of his lack of experience, because he clearly has more than most of the goalies coming into the NHL.
The KHL really isn't all that much better then the Q or AHL from what I understand. Anyways, I just looked up all their stats and included all the major pro leagues in the totals.

Regardless, this is all besides the point though so I don't really care.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:38 AM
  #290
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
We need one of our goalies to steal a game for once
I agree

However, I believe a problem with Bob right now is his confidence level.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 12:00 PM
  #291
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I agree

However, I believe a problem with Bob right now is his confidence level.
we need to get his gf over state side pronto

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 12:02 PM
  #292
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
So, apparently Garbage Goal doesn't have any answers himself, but he knows how to criticize everything someone else does. Color me surprised. However, he would have dumped someone that so far this season posted a 2.36 GAA and a .916 SV% for a very reasonable $925k cap hit.

Garbage Goal, you said "Homer could have gotten one or two goalies" and I ask you who that should have been. No answer. Instead you point back at your own dumb post including that very statement.

I point the problems with your list showcasing the lack of experience by Bobrovsky by comparing them with other goaltenders that also didn't have the "seasoning" you fault Bobrovsky for not having and turned out great, and you make up garbage about games played from Juniors and before but you don't include the number of games played by Bob before he turned pro (probably because you don't know them).

When I tell you that you faulting him for having no AHL experience or North American experience is a stupid thing to include in your little list, you are telling me I'm making things up.

I'm pointing out that the goaltenders have been playing plenty well this season so far. You come up with a weasel phrase in "masked problem".

But best of all, apparently you can't remember that LA only scored 4 goals, or add up the goals allowed in the last 4 games. Oh yeah, and looking more in depth, the numbers you've posted for Bobrovsky in your list are also pretty badly sourced if at all. Where do you get "76 career games" from when he's played 100 professional career games for Metallurg Novokuznetsk in the last 4 seasons including playoffs?

Is this really the discussion we need to have here, Garbage Goal?


Last edited by chaosof99*: 01-01-2011 at 12:08 PM.
chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 12:08 PM
  #293
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
I am not concerned about the goalies (obviously that word doesn't apply to Leighton who merely happens to play one on TV) but I am concerned about the lackluster play by the skaters as of late.

The team will still pick up points, this won't be a freefall, but I am willing to bet that things are shaky until Pronger comes back.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 12:24 PM
  #294
Mike2000z28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philly, now montreal
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
Obviously it starts with good D which we don't have right now and effort. After our loss to Detroit tommorow, we will be 1-4 without pronger in the last 5 games. So we beat a tired LA kings team and still played a crappy game on D with subpar goaltending. Our losses are piling up at an alarming rate, but i guess its time for our big losing streak.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:03 PM
  #295
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
So, apparently Garbage Goal doesn't have any answers himself, but he knows how to criticize everything someone else does.
Being concerned about the goaltending and thinking that our GM should have at least tried to grab a goalie in free agency equals criticizing everything someone else does in your mind.

You just keep on making **** up.

Quote:
Color me surprised. However, he would have dumped someone that so far this season posted a 2.36 GAA and a .916 SV% for a very reasonable $925k cap hit.
If it meant getting a better free agent option, sure.

Then again, Brian Boucher is supposed to lead us to the promise land in your mind I guess?

Quote:
Garbage Goal, you said "Homer could have gotten one or two goalies" and I ask you who that should have been. No answer. Instead you point back at your own dumb post including that very statement.
Directing you to a multiple paragraph post that I made earlier also equates to not answering in your mind.

You also called a post dumb without even quoting it or pointing out what is dumb.

Until you learn to read I'm not sure why I should be reading your dumb posts.

Quote:
I point the problems with your list showcasing the lack of experience by Bobrovsky by comparing them with other goaltenders that also didn't have the "seasoning" you fault Bobrovsky for not having and turned out great, and you make up garbage about games played from Juniors and before but you don't include the number of games played by Bob before he turned pro (probably because you don't know them).
Or because they're not pro games and they weren't played in the North American style I"m assuming?

Nah, that can't be it.

Quote:
When I tell you that you faulting him for having no AHL experience or North American experience is a stupid thing to include in your little list, you are telling me I'm making things up.
Yes, lacking experience is a stupid thing in your mind. Experience is irrelevant. There is nothing wrong with relying on Sergei Bobrovsky as our only hope this season.

Quote:
I'm pointing out that the goaltenders have been playing plenty well this season so far. You come up with a weasel phrase in "masked problem".
How's that a weasel phrase? The problem was masked last year as well and look how well that turned out for us.

[QUOTE]But best of all, apparently you can't remember that LA only scored 4 goals, or add up the goals allowed in the last 4 games. Oh yeah, and looking more in depth, the numbers you've posted for Bobrovsky in your list are also pretty badly sourced if at all. Where do you get "76 career games" from when he's played 100 professional career games for Metallurg Novokuznetsk in the last 4 seasons including playoffs?


http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=98874

Quote:
really the discussion we need to have here, Garbage Goal?
You tell me. You're the one who started this and you're the one who's throwing around insults with nothing to back them up.

Also, bravo at avoiding every single thing I said in my previous post by not quoting one single thing and by throwing out insulting words like "dumb" without providing any reasons why.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:07 PM
  #296
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
Obviously it starts with good D which we don't have right now and effort. After our loss to Detroit tommorow, we will be 1-4 without pronger in the last 5 games. So we beat a tired LA kings team and still played a crappy game on D with subpar goaltending. Our losses are piling up at an alarming rate, but i guess its time for our big losing streak.
Oh so you know the future now too.

We didn't lose last night on effort. Where are you people getting this from. We got carved up defensivley. We were actually butchered. But the offense was there. It's hard to score goals when you are letting them up at the other end.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:15 PM
  #297
Cinerary
The Inexorable
 
Cinerary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Chester, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I am not concerned about the goalies (obviously that word doesn't apply to Leighton who merely happens to play one on TV) but I am concerned about the lackluster play by the skaters as of late.

The team will still pick up points, this won't be a freefall, but I am willing to bet that things are shaky until Pronger comes back.
Exactly, and it's embarrassing that in the last 4 games now, we've given up 5 goals, 6 goals, 4 goals, and 5 goals respectively. This defense has looked flat out awful without Pronger, because some of these guys need to be babysat.

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:17 PM
  #298
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
The KHL really isn't all that much better then the Q or AHL from what I understand. Anyways, I just looked up all their stats and included all the major pro leagues in the totals.

Regardless, this is all besides the point though so I don't really care.
The KHL and AHL are probably somewhat close, but the KHL is absolutely on a much higher level than the junior leagues. Those are kids leagues.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:19 PM
  #299
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Well, this database is faulty. For proper numbers, look here or here (doesn't include the 09/10 season).

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:20 PM
  #300
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,076
vCash: 500
It's not totally to blame, but a definite contributing factor has to be this awful scheduling.

The team was clearly flat after not playing for a week against VAN and the Anaheim game was a 3rd game in 4 nights situation. That's pretty rough when going out west and playing late.

The defense played OK as a whole last night but you can't make that many mistakes and win on a regular basis

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.