HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Around Hockey VI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
I have to say, his point streak was beyond unbelievable. Somebody doing it in today's league... I never thought that would be possible. I watched the majority of these games and really, really enjoyed watching the streak happen.

For Pittsburgh as a team I'd think the end of the streak is a good thing, since there's no more talk about the streak but more about the team itself. And as a team they haven't been playing good hockey.
It is a feat to be sure. Gretzky has the longest streak at 51.

Longest consecutive point-scoring streak: Wayne Gretzky, 51 games (1983–84)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Fpoint_streaks

Old
12-30-2010, 07:43 AM
BluejacketNut

51 will never be touched, much like Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak. Its funny watching some of the highlights from the early 80's, nothing funnier then watching a pure stand up goalie try and make a kick save, the 5 hole is a canyon

Old
12-30-2010, 07:53 AM
blahblah

My irrational dislike of Crosby still remains strong. And the fact that he plays for a Pittsland team makes it even more so....

His streak was certainly impressive and I applaud anyone who can do that in this era.

I still wouldn't cheer for him if he was a Jacket though.. :p

Old
12-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Would Langenbrunner help us at all???

Old
12-30-2010, 10:47 AM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
I'd prefer him over Moraeu or Clark,but since we got both of them, its not an option

Old
12-30-2010, 12:02 PM
CBJNut

Send a message via ICQ to CBJNut Send a message via AIM to CBJNut Send a message via MSN to CBJNut Send a message via Yahoo to CBJNut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Crosby's point streak is over at 26 games.
Good. Now he can shave that pedo mustache.

Old
12-30-2010, 12:30 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJNut View Post
Good. Now he can shave that pedo mustache.
LOL I have noticed that most players play better with some scruff. We need to hide the razors at Nationwide.

Old
12-30-2010, 12:40 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that he's done at 35, although I admit I haven't watched him in two years.

Having said that, at 75% of what he was two years ago he's a top six player on this team.

He's one of those players I usually feel confident saying I want, even sight unseen.

Old
12-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I find it hard to believe that he's done at 35, although I admit I haven't watched him in two years.

Having said that, at 75% of what he was two years ago he's a top six player on this team.

He's one of those players I usually feel confident saying I want, even sight unseen.
yeah...just not sure where he'd fit in and what we could do with him...or how we would acquire him...just a thought though

Old
12-30-2010, 01:00 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
LOL Gawd, you guys are BRUTAL!!

Ok, so I, for one, will NOT be rooting for Sid during the Winter Classic just because the perfection is so glaringly vanilla and boring and envious. Instead I will cheer my heart out for Mr. Showboat himself, Ovie!! Just cause down and dirty and win at all costs excites me much more!! plus, I don't think I'd have to worry about Ovie stealing my shampoo and moisturizer.
I get that people don't like Crosby because he has been overmarketed, but what I will never understand is the Ovie love that seems to spring forth from this well of hatrded for Sid.

It is amazing to me that a guy who is an egomaniac, who is a selfish/incomplete player, who seems to attempt to hurt other players on a regular basis somehow is considered a better alternative than Mr. Squeaky Clean. I appreciate Ovechkin's skill, but as far as I'm concerned, he should get the same dose of hate from opposing fans that Chris Pronger does instead of being one of the most popular players in the league.

Quote:

This reminds me of the Mark Recchi debate a few years back. And, I still think we should have taken a chance on Mark back then. Our power play might be better for it.

Old
12-30-2010, 01:06 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
This reminds me of the Mark Recchi debate a few years back. And, I still think we should have taken a chance on Mark back then. Our power play might be better for it.
Still don't know why we didn't.

The two that really tork me off are Bryzgalov, which I had to defend at the time by saying it wouldn't hurt to challenge and have a backup option for Leclaire. And the other is still Jussi Jokinen. I remember begging Hash to tell Scott to get him when was exposed on waivers.

We have missed many opportunities to help this team over the years.

Honestly, when I found Guerin on a training camp invite this year I kind of wanted us to sign him for a year instead of our awesome pickup. Not sure if he was done or not, but another 20 goal scorer on this team would be a benefit right now.

Old
12-30-2010, 01:12 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
I get that people don't like Crosby because he has been overmarketed, but what I will never understand is the Ovie love that seems to spring forth from this well of hatrded for Sid.

It is amazing to me that a guy who is an egomaniac, who is a selfish/incomplete player, who seems to attempt to hurt other players on a regular basis somehow is considered a better alternative than Mr. Squeaky Clean. I appreciate Ovechkin's skill, but as far as I'm concerned, he should get the same dose of hate from opposing fans that Chris Pronger does instead of being one of the most popular players in the league.
I really don't 'hate' Sid. Just a little jealous.

As for Alex, I am drawn to his passion. Of course, he's an ass. But he has incredible passion. It overtakes him and makes him blind to everything except winning. It's drive, maybe over-drive, but it's there and it takes him where talent stops. And he has fun doing it. That's why I watch him. He is fascinating. (And I want to go on record with saying he ain't pretty.)

Sid has talent. He is, perhaps, the best the league has at the moment, yet Ovie challenges him with that passion. I LOVE it!

Old
12-30-2010, 01:15 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
And I want to go on record with saying he ain't pretty.
Uglier--Malkin or Ovechkin?

Discuss.

Old
12-30-2010, 01:20 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:

Discuss.
LMAO!! I happen to adore both, would love to have either or both wearing Blue Jackets. See, I DO look deeper than the surface.

Old
12-30-2010, 01:27 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Found this on a thread on the mains.

Old
12-30-2010, 01:30 PM
blahblah

Quote:
yeah...just not sure where he'd fit in and what we could do with him...or how we would acquire him...just a thought though
I like the thought. Appears NJ is attempting to shed payroll, probably wouldn't be an expensive pickup from a pick perspective. It's a modest salary as well. Not sure I see a downside and we'd find room easy enough for him.

Old
12-30-2010, 01:32 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
Found this on a thread on the mains.
That is.. frankly.. awesome.

Old
12-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:

Discuss.
Ovechkin is waaaaaay uglier. Malkin gets a pass because he has that oversized-Frankenstien thing happening.

Look at Chara, Malkin, Jurchina, etc... anyone that freakishly large can't be faulted for not being Ludqvist pretty.

Malkin has been the guy I want on our team. Big n fast.

Old
12-30-2010, 02:25 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Ovechkin is waaaaaay uglier. Malkin gets a pass because he has that oversized-Frankenstien thing happening.

Look at Chara, Malkin, Jurchina, etc... anyone that freakishly large can't be faulted for not being Ludqvist pretty.

Malkin has been the guy I want on our team. Big n fast.
Still laughing over that. In Gino's defense, he does clean up well. We certainly have worse on our own bench...

Old
12-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
I like the thought. Appears NJ is attempting to shed payroll, probably wouldn't be an expensive pickup from a pick perspective. It's a modest salary as well. Not sure I see a downside and we'd find room easy enough for him.
well i'm just in a mood to think outside the box from the normal kvetching that's going on around here....trying to think of ways to improve the team...I still stick to my two defensive trades i thru out there on the pens thread earlier today....this would improve the offense....

I think those three trades, adding minimal salary turned us into a much better team...

plus Langenbrunner, Roszival, Pikkannin

minus hejda, tyutin, goulobef, picks...and whoever we waive or else needed in the carolina trade

Old
01-01-2011, 12:24 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

NYI 4 DET 3 F-OT.

How in the...?

Old
01-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Handyy

These guys are awesome.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
I really don't 'hate' Sid. Just a little jealous.

As for Alex, I am drawn to his passion. Of course, he's an ass. But he has incredible passion. It overtakes him and makes him blind to everything except winning. It's drive, maybe over-drive, but it's there and it takes him where talent stops. And he has fun doing it. That's why I watch him. He is fascinating. (And I want to go on record with saying he ain't pretty.)

Sid has talent. He is, perhaps, the best the league has at the moment, yet Ovie challenges him with that passion. I LOVE it!
Ridiculous. The implication here is that Crosby is not driven or somehow less so. I call bunk. What you're calling passion is abandon, and it's part of why Ovy is less of a player than Sid.

Here's the difference - with Ovy, you never know what you might see - good or bad. I get the desire to witness this and why it generates appreciation. With Sid, you know what you're going to get (which is not to say he isn't capable of the superlative - quite the opposite in fact). It's not dissimilar to comparing the play Mike Vick and Peyton Manning - although that's not a perfect comparison.

What I don't get, going back to jump off a little of what Capn posted, is that you have to somehow choose between the two. You must fan-love on and hate the other.

Old
01-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Handyy

I love them both, but I have to say that in my opinion Crosby has the more passion for the game than Ovechkin. While Ovechkin concentrates on getting flame-painted skates or creates new ways to celebrate goals, Crosby concentrates on the actual game and is finding ways to get better in it. Right now it's so clear to see which approach is getting better results. It's interesting to see, if Ovechkin can raise his game back to where it was earlier... And most importantly, can he get his team to have the chance of touching the Stanley Cup.

Old
01-01-2011, 12:17 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Ridiculous. The implication here is that Crosby is not driven or somehow less so. I call bunk. What you're calling passion is abandon, and it's part of why Ovy is less of a player than Sid.

Here's the difference - with Ovy, you never know what you might see - good or bad. I get the desire to witness this and why it generates appreciation. With Sid, you know what you're going to get (which is not to say he isn't capable of the superlative - quite the opposite in fact). It's not dissimilar to comparing the play Mike Vick and Peyton Manning - although that's not a perfect comparison.

What I don't get, going back to jump off a little of what Capn posted, is that you have to somehow choose between the two. You must fan-love on and hate the other.
The whole conversation was ridiculous, meant to be that way, just a little fun. See the above comments about who is uglier. As for the choosing between one or the other, that was the gist of the convo. (Which one do you like better) Of course Sid has the hardware to prove he's better. We all know that DSL. There isn't a day that goes by, especially lately, that we haven't been spoon fed Sid's greatness. As for passion including some abandon, sure. Whatever words you want to describe it, I like it. It brings excitement and that is why I watch. If I wanted to watch Disney on Ice, I would. But I don't. I watch hockey. And being a Jackets fan hints that I am going to cheer for the underdog. Go Caps!

Not sure where you were going with the Manning/Vick comparison unless to say that although Manning has more hardware, Vick may be the better athlete because he's faster but Manning is the better Quarterback cause he can stand in the pocket and make better throws, whereas Vick can get chased from the pocket and still make good plays because he runs. BUT being an athlete in QB will never work is because doing so will get you hurt. The great SB champions of the past, Montana, Brady, Brees, Manning, are all pocket passers. How many scramblers can you say have won the SB? AND in that I will choose Manning every time because of his personality.

Last edited by CBJCougar: 01-01-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Football comparison
Closed Thread