HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Should we lobby for the Que Govt to make taxes exempt for Habs players?

Old
12-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Melvin Udall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
The way things are in the US, taxes could suddenly become a big problem for pro athletes. There's not much else left for Obama to tax. A better idea might be to lobby for getting paid in C$ instead of US$.

Times are changing.
Good one...........I like your train of thought!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 08:57 PM
wedge

no way...

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Fanpuck33

Give me a break. Anyone would chooses not to play for the Habs because of the slighty higher tax rates obviously doesn't want to be a Hab in the first place.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:05 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
If Quebec City and Nordique fans can lobby the govt to put up money for an arena, why can we not lobby the government to allow Habs players to play tax free? We're not talking about a lot of money in the long run here.

Since we are never at the bottom of the pile and never will have a chance to pick a superstar, unless we find a Zetterberg or Datsyuk (which nobody ever does), the only other way is to get UFA's here.

There seems to be a misconception that Quebec taxes are higher than taxes in that bracket elsewhere. They aren't from what I understand, except for states that don't collect income tax like FLorida and Texas, etc. Just a thought.
The situation was made clear by Mike Farber I believe on the Sports illustrated page.

The NHL should have a variable cap. End of story. High tax cities should have a higher cap. It's intelligent and fair. It would be quite simple to vary the cap based on income tax rates.

Yet another example of how Bettman and his NBA basketball hollywood bull-**** management screws Canadian teams, especially the Habs.

Problem solved.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:49 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Weird, weird, weird idea. You are actually arguing that we should subsidize NHL players who play in Montreal. Seriously I love hockey, but we have many, many other more important priorities.

It doesn't make any sense anyway. We won't attract more talented players this way since there will still be a salary cap.

On another topic, am I the only one who doesn't care about paying high taxes, if the money if well spent? What infuriates me is bad spending, money lost into corruption or into bureaucracy. But high taxes? Not at all. A coherent society needs to have taxes to be efficient and fair. And as part of the middle class, I don't lose my cool everytime I look at my paycheck to see how much goes to the governement. Am I just... not normal?

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:18 AM
Vineon

That would spell doom for whichever unfortunate government would believe that's a good idea, especially considering taxes are being raised for everyone else at the moment.

Vineon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Masao

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
I don't think that taxes are really such a factor for players.
What about for their agents?

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Bacchus1

Your focus is wrong. To exempt players from taxes is to amend our laws. The onus should be on the NHL to put something in the collective agreement that takes taxes in to consideration when discussing cap. It should be take home pay: that would level the playing field, as it were.

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
If Quebec City and Nordique fans can lobby the govt to put up money for an arena, why can we not lobby the government to allow Habs players to play tax free? We're not talking about a lot of money in the long run here.

Since we are never at the bottom of the pile and never will have a chance to pick a superstar, unless we find a Zetterberg or Datsyuk (which nobody ever does), the only other way is to get UFA's here.

There seems to be a misconception that Quebec taxes are higher than taxes in that bracket elsewhere. They aren't from what I understand, except for states that don't collect income tax like FLorida and Texas, etc. Just a thought.
i hope you were kidding with this post...

more tax breaks for millionaires on the basis of wanting to attract better hockey players?

come on...

have you driven on the roads in "la belle province"? have you strolled around the neighborhoods of montreal north? have you seen the state of most schools, public sports facilities, libraries etc across the city and province?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Magnum Crackoff

What does Quebec City and Nordique fans have to do with anything, of course they will try their luck. They got provincial help but no federal, what does it prove? Why don't you bring G8-G20 investments instead, those are far far far more scandalous.

The Habs are able to get a good team and revenues without begging for the governement to cut down their taxes. They are an exemplary citizen in the province and I bet they want to keep this image.

Magnum Crackoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:42 AM
stanley25

Personaly I dont see what the problem is I think this would be a great idea, these guys most probably do not use or medicare system which is a major portion of the tax. Most players also don't even live here in the offseason so this is just basicly there home for working. Im also pretty sure if they have children they send them to private school meaning they dont take advantage of the public school system and I also highly doubt any of these players will be collecting unemploymentanytime soon. At the end of the day these players are paying there taxes for clean streets and waste disposal( I know theres probably a lot more) but seriously should they even be paying high taxes for things they'll never even take advantage of.

stanley25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Pascal

Quote:

This has to be a joke. You want to give millionaires tax exemptions? Do you pay taxes? Cuz I don't want to pay Mr. Gomez's share because he makes 10000x more than I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
have you driven on the roads in "la belle province"?
Two days ago I went to Toronto and on the way back it was so funny to see that as soon as I crossed the Quebec border the roads got progressively worse. It's like night and day. The roads in Toronto are actually smooth and without holes everywhere!

We don't need better roads as much as hockey players need a new car, though. Let's not go crazy here.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:03 AM
angelo74

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley25 View Post
Personaly I dont see what the problem is I think this would be a great idea, these guys most probably do not use or medicare system which is a major portion of the tax. Most players also don't even live here in the offseason so this is just basicly there home for working. Im also pretty sure if they have children they send them to private school meaning they dont take advantage of the public school system and I also highly doubt any of these players will be collecting unemploymentanytime soon. At the end of the day these players are paying there taxes for clean streets and waste disposal( I know theres probably a lot more) but seriously should they even be paying high taxes for things they'll never even take advantage of.
I can choose to go to private clinics, send my kids to private schools and live somewhere else for half the year.
This is one of the dumbest ideas i've ever seen in my life. You collect a salary in Quebec you pay the taxes for the salary you make just like everyone else.
If hockey players of all people are exempt from paying taxes then I would rather montreal not have an NHL team.

angelo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Kriss E

No. I want to be exempt from taxes.
I couldn't care less for the millionaires.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:45 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Govt gives with one hand takes with the other. The other is us. So no thanks

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 11:58 AM
LastRide

Maybe the NHL should adjust the Salary Cap according to the taxes each Country/City pays. Montreal's Cap would be a little higher to make up for the higher taxes deducted from a players Salary. All the teams would be equal that way. You don't have to be Enrico Fermi to figure a way around it.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Habs Junkie

This is not a bad idea and one that the province should actually study. I thought of the same thing a year ago but was shut down pretty quickly when I approached a friend of mine who is a politician (will remain nameless). He says no way would the government ever do anything like that. The doctor argument is the best example of why. But in all fairness the government does fund sports in this country and hockey is our national pass time and should get most of the attention when it comes to entertainment funding. It's not a bad thing when government gets involved with our entertainment. Just look at the Olympics and what they did for our economy.
Best case scenario would be a net cap in the NHL. Salary caps would be calculated according to net amounts a player makes and not the gross. But I don't think Bettman would ever do that.
Another option would be tax equality rules were the players are taxed based on the lowest tax bracket you would find in any other NHL city. For example Nashville is at 35%, the lowest in the NHL, then we should tax our players at 35% too. That's what we should study. The money we'll lose in taxes might not be that much at the end of it.
And on the other hand, our team will be more competitive, make it further in the playoffs every year, and generate more money for the city of Montreal in other ways like bars and restaurants and the downtown area being jammed pack for an extra 10 days a year. I think the revenue of that will, by far, out way the revenue made on income taxes of 23 people who will be taxed in a lower bracket.
Obviously this is not a fact but my opinion, and thatís why we should actually study this idea.

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:39 PM
lxzred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
i hope you were kidding with this post...

more tax breaks for millionaires on the basis of wanting to attract better hockey players?

come on...

have you driven on the roads in "la belle province"? have you strolled around the neighborhoods of montreal north? have you seen the state of most schools, public sports facilities, libraries etc across the city and province?

Isn't the state of roads in Quebec due to the fact they reward contracts to the lowest bidder, ala contractor who uses the cheapest materials and cuts the most corners?

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:46 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
havent been in a hospital in like 5 years... think govt should refund me ??

also, dont remember last time I collected "unemployment", think they should refund me for that too ???

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:56 PM
RC51

First the NHL has to have a level playing field if they don't act NOW then I say habs get free taxes both income and all other types of taxes like school taxes and MTL taxes of all kinds. Free snow removal and free Grass cutting every year. There kids get FREE bus and train passes 24/7. Free family passes to Place des Art for all shows, Free poutine anywhere in Quebec 24/7. That ought to do it Wait I forgot, Quebec Government loans at 0% interest. Ok that's it

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote