HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rejean Tremblay's interview with Patrice Brisebois

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Joe Malone

vCash: 500
Rejean Tremblay's interview with Patrice Brisebois

I just finished reading this post on another board. Is there anybody here who has read the same article and can shed a little more light on what was said?

From Habfans.com:

"I've just finished reading Rejean's interview with Brisebois in today's LA PRESSE, and let me tell you, it's one of the best article on the subject I've ever read. Now, I'm not a Tremblay fan at all : altough we share the same last name, I often disagree with him. But that interview is a beauty. Nothing new, basically everything we've been hearing for so many years, but it's all there. It shows well what's the biggest issue about all this story : we are destroying a human being because we don't like his way of... PLAYING HOCKEY!

I don't want to make a summary of the article because it wouldn't capture the mood of the interview, and I don't want to translate it because it's rather long and I'm too lazy, but I highly suggest you to buy La Presse (at least, if you live in MTL and you speak french). If someone wants to translate it and post it here, I think that would be the best...

Anyways, in that article, we have Brisebois' opinion about the Zednikgate, the Francegate and the Tverdovskygate. He also talks about how his parents won't go to the games anymore to see him play because it hurts them so much to hear the booing.

Well, read it, it's worth it."

Old
10-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Price is the Future

Anyone have a link or a copy of the article? It would be greatly apprecialted !!!

Thank You in advance

Old
10-07-2003, 03:48 PM
rocketlives

[QUOTE=Joe Malone]I just finished reading this post on another board. Is there anybody here who has read the same article and can shed a little more light on what was said?

I read the article and I think it's not among Réjean Tremblay's best articles. He presents Brisebois as a martyr, and then says he's the only Habs' player wearing a Stanley Cup ring.

Réjean says the Habs GMs over the years are to be blamed for giving Brisebois too much money.

Brisebois says why me? why me? why this constant harassment? Why did my bosses keep me for 13 years if I'm that bad? Is it because I don't like violence and fighting?

Fans think Brisebois is a coward because he didn't fight with McLaren when he attacked Zednik in 2002, but what about the other players who were on the ice ?

Brisebois then talks about the time last year when a 5'9" 170 lbs player collided with Theo and he did nothing. Brisebois said he was satisfied that player didn't do it on purpose and he didn't want to look yellow in attacking a player much smaller than him.

And the whining goes on and on for 2 full pages of La Presse. Réjean even mentions that Patrice's parents never come to the Bell Center because they just can't stand the booing. He also mentions that Patrice's relations with his father have not always been easy (les rapports du gamin avec son père n'ont pas été faciles).

Personally I think it's a very long and boring article on a player who is making $4 million US per year and has not been fully earning it the past few years. Brisebois should look at the credit balance going up in his bank book and bite the bullet. He should pick himself up by the bootstraps and stop whining. As far as his relations with his father are concerned, I'm told by people in St Donat that Patrice's father is a tough trucker who just doesn't appreciate his son's soft way of playing hockey.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:07 AM
skidboot

Poor ol Breezy.

He should wipe the tears away with the 100 Dollar Bills he earns.

If he is sick and tired of all the booing why doesn't he accept a trade and be rid of the so-called unwarranted harrassment.

He is a thinskinned little baby.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:19 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot

If he is sick and tired of all the booing why doesn't he accept a trade and be rid of the so-called unwarranted harrassment.
He declined the trade because they asked him to reduce his salary considerably.

Maybe you could collect 5-6 millions from all you haters and pay a team to get him at his real salary

Also he'd prefer to stay with the team he love, he only ask to get the same chance as the other players.

To me he's like a politician who his in power since too long. People only remember the mistakes and forget the very good year he had 2 years ago (and many before...)
As far as i know he was the best D of the habs in 8-9 of the last 10 ea sports hockey game so i'm not the only one who see good things in his game

very good article btw.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:24 AM
Corey

Réjean Tremblay would like nothing better than an all-Québecois team that represents the nation of Québec.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:27 AM
Joe Cole

I will start by saying that I have always disliked Brisebois' defensive game. Offensively, he has a good shot, passes well and has great hand eye coordination.

Brisebois is a victim of a few things, number 1-he ain't that bright. Every year he says something that is bound to get him in trouble "check moi ben aller cet annee". #2-local media- I think it is part of being catholic to critize one of your own that is monitarily successful (the Irish and the Italians to the sam thing). #3-best D of a bad team (except malakohov) .

and he is overpaid.

But...the guys that are booing him are just stupid. They do not help the team. They boo no matter what happens, good or bad. They are just stupid sheep, following the retarded herd. Can't they figure out a way to express themselves that is more intelligent then "boooooo". It's like a bunch of intellectual midgets. Grow up.

Yes, he is soft. Yes he is out muslced by players half his size. Yes he makes rookie mistakes in his own end.

But booing....come on. Graduate from 6th grade.

The fact that his life (and his parents) has suffered is terrible. Then again, why did he not wave his no-trade clause. If I was him, I would say "get me on the first train outta here, suckers!"

Do the right thing, Patrice. They have race tracks all over the US. Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca, VIR. oh yeah...and they have hockey rinks too.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:27 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Im so sick of this... I have nothing against him, and the real cowards are the idiots that boo him. You don`t like the way he plays, well tough! It`s not the end of the world, and he certainly is not are worst D. He loves this team and that should be all that matters. If the fans loved this team, they wouldnt boo him. The management gave him a big contract, and anybody would`ve taken it. I`m so sick of this Brisebois bashing. So what if he doesnt hit a lot, last year I didnt see Rivet, Traverse or Dykhuis hit.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:52 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Réjean Tremblay would like nothing better than an all-Québecois team that represents the nation of Québec.
Too bad you couldn't come up with something intelligent to say for your 100th post.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:14 AM
mcphee

I guess Patrice should have said, thanks for asking Rejean, but after all that has gone on, I'd be better to concentrate on my performance. Whether you sympathize with him or not, the situation, has been discussed to death. There really isn't much for him to say.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:32 AM
Corey

I'll try to think of something intelligent for my 102nd. I sense that my admirer resents my pointing out Tremblay's chauvinism. Tremblay may be intelligent and incisive but IMO he's being partial to Brisebois for reasons other than his humanity. My having a bone to pick with Tremblay should not imply that I am prejudiced against the majority population of the province.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
I'll try to think of something intelligent for my 102nd. I sense that my admirer resents my pointing out Tremblay's chauvinism. Tremblay may be intelligent and incisive but IMO he's being partial to Brisebois for reasons other than his humanity. My having a bone to pick with Tremblay should not imply that I am prejudiced against the majority population of the province.
Actually, that was your 101st post, and I understand your point. I personally do not like Réjean Tremblay's writing style, which I find better suited to low-level soap operas, nor do I appreciate his "chauvinism", as you put it. It just seemed to me that your earlier post implied that his paper on Brisebois was worthless because of his (Tremblay's)political orientation. That orientation does not mean that everything he writes isn't true, you know.

Sorry if I misinterpreted what you wrote and sorrier still for what I responded.

Old
10-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Corey

Gros Bill, I, too, am sorry about any misunderstanding. Yes, Tremblay is undeniably a good writer and he has provided quite a bit of good analysis over the years, but he can get carried away. It shows that you can be analytical up to a point and then fall off the cliff of emotion.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:13 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Gros Bill, I, too, am sorry about any misunderstanding. Yes, Tremblay is undeniably a good writer and he has provided quite a bit of good analysis over the years, but he can get carried away. It shows that you can be analytical up to a point and then fall off the cliff of emotion.
Why not call things the way they are? Tremblay is a racist, period. Every single position he takes glorifies the francophone position and slams "les maudits anglais". And if one of you is going to say otherwise, please refer to one single article that he has written to the contrary. I do not consider him a sports writer or columnist, just another separatist social commentator with a chip on his shoulder!

Old
10-08-2003, 10:35 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot
Why not call things the way they are? Tremblay is a racist, period. Every single position he takes glorifies the francophone position and slams "les maudits anglais". And if one of you is going to say otherwise, please refer to one single article that he has written to the contrary. I do not consider him a sports writer or columnist, just another separatist social commentator with a chip on his shoulder!
I would suggest that you back up your assertion, instead. Calling him "racist" is going way too far : prove it.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:36 AM
Corey

Well, I prefer to term Tremblay a chauvinist or jingoist rather than a racist. There's too much shared blood among the inhabitants of northwest Europe and even among the English (and Irish and Scottish)and French settlers of Québec. It's a cultural or linguistic thing and it's also a historical thing. After 1763 the English treated the French rather shabbily.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:50 AM
Gros Bill

From Meriam-Webster on-line dictionary :

Main Entry: rac·ism
Function: noun
Date: 1936
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Main Entry: jin·go·ism
Date: 1878
: extreme chauvinism or nationalism marked especially by a belligerent foreign policy

Main Entry: chau·vin·ism
Date: 1851
1 : excessive or blind patriotism -- compare JINGOISM
2 : undue partiality or attachment to a group or place to which one belongs or has belonged
3 : an attitude of superiority toward members of the opposite sex; also : behavior expressive of such an attitude

I think you're referring to definition no. 2 of chauvinism: undue partiality or attachment to a group or place to which one belongs or has belonged.

'Tis hardly a capital crime ... and is far from racism.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:53 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot
Smug, self-important,arrogant, sure, but racist ? that's a pretty harsh thing to call someone. If I understand the word properly, chauvinist is pretty apt. I'd be curious to see some examples of racism. I don't read him on a regular basis, but I assume he writes about more than his political beliefs.

Old
10-08-2003, 12:36 PM
Corey

I'll go along with what Gros Bill states. It reminds me of black nationalism in the United States, a resentment of past injustice and the desire of a minority to be independent. Tremblay's jingoism would come into play only after l' état de Québec was admitted to the United Nations with its fleur-de-lys flag and an exchange of ambassadeurs with Canada and les États-Unis.

Old
10-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Erngueva

A better example of racism is Don Cherry...

Old
10-08-2003, 01:43 PM
Corey

I think Tremblay should bite off the end of Cherry's necktie and hand it to him (or vice versa). Faire un scandale!

Closed Thread