HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs have an offer for Versteeg

Old
01-01-2011, 08:30 PM
dm1371

vCash: 500
I'd love to have Versteeg on the Habs, but i don't think that they have the cap space for him.

dm1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Hemsky4PM

My guess would be that the offer came from a potential cup contender in the West.

Vancouver
San Jose
Los Angeles
Colorado

I would imagine a top end prospect and 2nd round pick.

Something like:

Oscar Moller and a 2nd
or
Linden Vey and a 2nd

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:33 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
This is smell's like the habs are in on it. Wouldn't be a bit surprised.
That's pretty much what I thought as well, and I'd be an extremely surprised guy if THAT offer wasn't about Yannick Weber going the other way.

This said, Max Pacioretty is doing quite good lately and is absolutely NOT to blame for the recent skid -- not saying he's better or worst than Versteeg, just saying he deserves at prolonged stint on the Top-6 at the very least.

If Weber is gone, and wonder who could be our depth option on D. As it stands now, Picard is 7th, and our 8th would be either Brandon Nash or Alex Henry...

EDIT : Weber would indeed make a very good 6th D on the Leafs, and the Leafs might want to move one of their high salaries on D (not Phaneuf...) anyways.

Last edited by MXD: 01-01-2011 at 08:39 PM.
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:33 PM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
My guess would be that the offer came from a potential cup contender in the West.

Vancouver
San Jose
Los Angeles
Colorado

Something like:

Oscar Moller and a 2nd
or
Linden Vey and a 2nd
Versteeg on Vancouver would just be ridiculous. They're already a very deep squad.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Jesus H, do you have to there? No, he can't. No, he won't. Don't turn this into a Jordan Staal thread that ends in people laughing at you, please.
Just a suggestion and it's just speculation. Pens are also playing quite well without Staal and Versteeg would be excellent playing beside Geno. It's not like Versteeg is some 28 year old vet, he is only 24 and he can still develop into a 60+ 2-way winger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Um yea actually. You guys picked up Versteeg with what idea? For him to play on the top line. Because like many, you saw him as a top line player being played on the 2nd/3rd on the cup winning Blackhawks.

We can go back to the threads when he was picked up. Most Leaf fans sure as hell weren't hoping he'd be a 55 point player.

Hes 3rd line on one of the worst teams in the league. So no, his value has gone down. Not up.
We weren't expecting him to play on the top line, more like 2nd line. I expected the top line to be Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel but Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur is a line with tremendous chemistry and they stuck together. Kessel line is without a winger and they tried using Versteeg there but it didn't work well because it's 3 small guys and there was no board play so Versteeg ended up being on the 3rd line but I believe he plays more than any other forwards and play all situation. He's moved to the point on PP and the PP has been pretty good after that. PK sucks but goaltending and defense has been pretty poor.

He should be playing on the 2nd line but he can't because RW won't break up Grabo line.

Quote:
This is smell's like the habs are in on it. Wouldn't be a bit surprised.
I think he would fit in well with the Habs. Who knows, without Markov, he could be a good replacement at the point.

What would you guys offer?

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:36 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1371 View Post
I'd love to have Versteeg on the Habs, but i don't think that they have the cap space for him.
They do, and they'd still have some 1.2M room. And that's not counting a potential player going the other way.

Old
01-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Umm if we send Weber the other way or another prospect and work a little cap magic , we have space . And it makes sense for the habs to get him because we have been pretty bad offensively and he could add go scoring ability.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

I really hope Howson didnt offer Filatov for Versteeg.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Just a suggestion and it's just speculation. Pens are also playing quite well without Staal and Versteeg would be excellent playing beside Geno. It's not like Versteeg is some 28 year old vet, he is only 24 and he can still develop into a 60+ 2-way winger.

We weren't expecting him to play on the top line, more like 2nd line. I expected the top line to be Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel but Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur is a line with tremendous chemistry and they stuck together. Kessel line is without a winger and they tried using Versteeg there but it didn't work well because it's 3 small guys and there was no board play so Versteeg ended up being on the 3rd line but I believe he plays more than any other forwards and play all situation. He's moved to the point on PP and the PP has been pretty good after that. PK sucks but goaltending and defense has been pretty poor.

He should be playing on the 2nd line but he can't because RW won't break up Grabo line.

I think he would fit in well with the Habs. Who knows, without Markov, he could be a good replacement at the point.

What would you guys offer?
Weber And some picks ?

Old
01-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Dylbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
He was always seen as a guy who was being held back on a very deep Hawks roster. If hes just a 55 point guy, you won't see anyone giving up anything jaw dropping to get his services.
He's only 24, so unless it IS a jaw dropping offer there's no point in dealing him, or even pausing to consider it.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

Quote:
Umm if we send Weber the other way or another prospect and work a little cap magic , we have space . And it makes sense for the habs to get him because we have been pretty bad offensively and he could add go scoring ability.
I don't think we're interested in a deal revolving around Weber. You guys likely won't give up Leblanc, and besides, Burke has always been adamant about getting better right away. As much as I don't agree with that philosophy, (sigh) it is the truth.

01-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:

Vancouver
San Jose
Los Angeles
Colorado

Something like:

Oscar Moller and a 2nd
or
Linden Vey and a 2nd
Highly unlikely he'd end up in L.A.
Where's he going to play?

Sturm, Smyth, Clifford, Richardson. And that's with Ponikarovsky hurt.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:40 PM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
He's only 24, so unless it IS a jaw dropping offer there's no point in dealing him, or even pausing to consider it.
I don't buy the whole "Pause to consider it" thing. Burke is always trying to drum up fake noise and Toronto media is always more than happy to oblige him. Everyone knows that. I find it hard to believe this is anything different.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:41 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Fuss View Post
I don't think we're interested in a deal revolving around Weber. You guys likely won't give up Leblanc, and besides, Burke has always been adamant about getting better right away. As much as I don't agree with that philosophy, but its the truth.
Weber would be an improvement on Gunnarson (at least, as far as offence from the blueline is concerned), hence getting SLIGHTLY better right away.

Leblanc for Versteeg? Man, I HOPE you weren't serious...

Old
01-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Fuss View Post
I don't think we're interested in a deal revolving around Weber. You guys likely won't give up Leblanc, and besides, Burke has always been adamant about getting better right away. As much as I don't agree with that philosophy, but its the truth.
How about Kristo ?

Old
01-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Weber would be an improvement on Gunnarson (at least, as far as offence from the blueline is concerned), hence getting SLIGHTLY better right away.

Leblanc for Versteeg? Man, I HOPE you weren't serious...
I said you guys likely won't give up Leblanc, and no, Gunnarson is doing okay, to be honest.

Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:43 PM
leoleo3535

Versteeg is on pace for 56 pts this year prorated over the full sched.

He had 56 points prorated in 80/09 for the Hawks.

He is receiving 15% more ice time with the Leafs and his powerplay time is 4:10 per game vs 2:25 with Chicago that year.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

I honestly like the guy, and he has put up some points, but Burke says 'He plays in all situations...', and not how well he plays in all situations.

He's definitely worth a 1st, not a high 1st, maybe a 20-30th overall pick, but I wouldn't trade a 24-year old guy good for 50 points for a guy who may be able to match his production in five years. Add a good but not great prospect (a guy like Taylor Doherty, Quinton Howden or Danny Kristo) and maybe I consider.

Allow me to plug an old thread of mine that shows that HFboards perception of the value of 1st round picks is viciously skewed.

The only picks, in the last nine years, where more than half of the players ended up better than Versteeg are:

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 11th.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:45 PM
SteenMachine

Oh boy more media attention about things Burke isn't doing. How far away from a headline about him missing a bowel movement even though he really needed to go before he dropped his pants?

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:48 PM
dm1371

If Habs get Versteeg.. Does he play in the top 6 instead of MaxPac ? how should the roster look ?

dm1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:49 PM
JKG33
Richards & Carter

I dont think the offer includes another dman, so that rules out weber. And im pretty sure its not bergfors. I have a feeling its a 1st or a 2nd and a prospect

JKG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
If Habs get Versteeg.. Does he play in the top 6 instead of MaxPac ? how should the roster look ?
Well, I have the feeling AK is going to get traded so he would probably take his spot.

Old
01-01-2011, 08:51 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
Oh boy more media attention about things Burke isn't doing. How far away from a headline about him missing a bowel movement even though he really needed to go before he dropped his pants?
Real original and super clever there...

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinjosh View Post
Real original and super clever there...
I wasn't going to say anything about this but thank you for voicing my thoughts

Old
01-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:

Vancouver
San Jose
Los Angeles
Colorado

Something like:

Oscar Moller and a 2nd
or
Linden Vey and a 2nd
The Sharks did have scouts at a Leafs/Jackets game this week.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote