HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#38: Flyers @ Ducks - Friday, Dec. 31, 2010 - 8:00 PM (ET)

Old
01-01-2011, 01:28 PM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
Garbage Goal, I'm simply sick of this "quote-response-quote-response" BS because that just chops up the narrative of a post and leads nowhere.

The simple matter of fact is you said that Homer could have gotten "one or two goalies" on the free agent market. When I ask you who those should be, I get no answer. I simply pointed out the options that were available and rumored for Holmgren to be on top of, and none of them seem too exciting by how they turned out for the teams that got them.

As for Boucher: We've gotten through the playoffs with him last year and he had great numbers there until he got hurt. We also made it to the Finals with Leighton who you hate so much. What is to say Boucher couldn't have done at least as well, if not better than Leighton or do so this year? He's having a really good season and that is a matter of fact. Meanwhile you openly admit that you would have simply discarded him and deprived the team of that good play he's been showing so far in an effort to sign a free agent you won't specify. You are literally making an argument along the lines of "two birds in the bush are better than one in hand".

Also, you seem to think that Russian professional hockey isn't actually professional hockey which is outright ********. You also seem to think that the RSL, or simply "Russia" as HockeyDB put it, wasn't a league at all since you didn't add up the 9 games it shows there. The HockeyDB table is incomplete anyway. Bob played another 24 games in 07-08 that aren't listed. His total career games in russian pro hockey is 100 if playoffs are included. Source. On the other hand, you seem to believe that the QMJHL is a professional league on equal footing to other professional men's hockey leagues, which it is not. The biggest reason for that circumstance is of course the age restriction in the Q.

"Masked Problem" is a weasel phrase because there isn't a problem and there is no evidence of a problem. You are simply asserting that there is a problem and then assert that the problem can't be perceived. So what is the difference between a problem that doesn't exist and a problem that can't be observed? "Masked Problem" is a weasel phrase because it's sole purpose is to tint a statement in a certain light, without providing any useful information or substantiate a claim. Further, you ask "how well did it turn out for us last year" and the answer is that we've played in the ****ing finals! One big problem that was...

As for your post, it was dumb with statements coloring the team as if it didn't have at least two decent goaltenders (Bob and Boucher) which is just an ignorant statement, and in your statement that Holmgren didn't even try to improve the goaltending via free agency. He clearly did with trying to go after Turco and Nabokov. And hell, he ****ing signed a free agent and improved the goaltending situation in the organization, didn't he?

However, your post just becomes even more dumber with your "he could have gotten one or two goalies" statement which you simply can not or do not want to substantiate despite multiple inquiries. Again, if Holmgren "could have gotten one or two goalies", who should that have been?!

But great that you take so much umbrage of me saying that your post was dumb. I guess declaring someone else illiterate is such a better plan and not hypocritical at all.

Last edited by chaosof99*: 01-01-2011 at 01:40 PM.
chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:57 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Was Bob REALLY that bad last night?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Mike2000z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Oh so you know the future now too.

We didn't lose last night on effort. Where are you people getting this from. We got carved up defensivley. We were actually butchered. But the offense was there. It's hard to score goals when you are letting them up at the other end.
My feelings are unfortunately more right than wrong when it comes to the flyers. Obviously they aren't the same group of guys without Pronger and that much is obvious and that also exposes are goalies as well. We haven't won in Detroit since when? i think it was 89 if im not mistaken. Obviously our D is lost without the big man.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
I missed most of this as it turned out, and then couldn't find the replay later in the night. Probably a good thing.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
His angles definitely were. I didn't see all the goals against, but on the ones I did see, he had his glove or blocker in position, but he was about a foot too far in either direction.

Edit: He also had one Leightonesque WTF moment. I think. Maybe I'm thinking of the game before.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-01-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:31 PM
RoDu

Quote:
wasn't great, but I felt we were also out worked in our own end to often, those two don't go well together

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Maybe Im the only one confident that with a fully healthy defense, that Boosh is solid enough to win a cup.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:56 PM
MiD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
wasn't great, but I felt we were also out worked in our own end to often, those two don't go well together
Ducks had way too much time and space in front of the net... almost every NHLer can pick up corner left for soo long time alone...

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Maybe Im the only one confident that with a fully healthy defense, that Boosh is solid enough to win a cup.
If Boosh is on his game, absolutely. If he isn't, I'd rather watch 60 minutes of ugly people puking.

Old
01-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
His angles definitely were. I didn't see all the goals against, but on the ones I did see, he had his glove or blocker in position, but he was about a foot too far in either direction.

Edit: He also had one Leightonesque WTF moment. I think. Maybe I'm thinking of the game before.
I think ur refering to the time he came way out to stop a almost break away out by almost center ice...

luckily between the ducks player our defenseman and bobo the puck never got behind the goal line

was def a flub on Bobos part trying to control the situation, he must have been confused wether he should skate forward faster or turn and go back

but really the whole game was almost as bad as the Canucks game

we really do need Pronger back asap, cuz teams are having no trouble getting shots on net right now

Last edited by Flyerfan4life: 01-01-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Yeah, nothing really makes you appreciate what Pronger can do like his absence.

Old
01-01-2011, 04:40 PM
SolidSnakeUS

So Bob wasn't as bad as it seemed, considering how ****** the team was defensively?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:48 PM
The Flin Flon Bomber

Quote:
So Bob wasn't as bad as it seemed, considering how ****** the team was defensively?
Any goalie could have been lit up for 5 goals, but a goalie on top of his game could have stopped a few of them. If that makes sense.

He was hung out to dry a lot, but at the same time, he could/should have stopped a few of those shots.

The Flin Flon Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 06:47 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
You need to learn the definition of what the word contradiction means.

Before free agency began isn't free agency. It's before it. Just like before Winter isn't Winter.
"Free agent market" isn't the same as "Free agency". Nabokov and Turco were part of the "free agent market", and Homer explored what it would take to sign them, i.e. checking prices/shopping/going to "the market". Either way, none of this matters since nothing will get done until the Flyers hire you as the GM, then it's an automatic Cup, right?

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Quote:
If Boosh is on his game, absolutely. If he isn't, I'd rather watch 60 minutes of ugly people puking.
It seems like Boosh tends to play his best in big spots. Im not saying he will win a series, he just wont lose one.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 07:34 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

It's odd that the coach gets no blame here.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 08:33 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Lol... here we go again

The guy doesn't say a peep until the team loses a few games. Anything to backup his asinine arguments years ago in favor of Stevens

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Did the coach personally break Pronger's foot?

Old
01-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:

huh ???

how do you figure any of this is Lavi's fault ?

the man has been the one ray of sunshine this team has game in and game out regardless of win or loss..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:31 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Did the coach personally break Pronger's foot?
He put Pronger out for the shift where he broke his foot. Clearly his fault.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
He put Pronger out for the shift where he broke his foot. Clearly his fault.
Yeah, I'm not seeing a coaching problem. When Stevens was coach, there were problems.

Old
01-01-2011, 09:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Classic.

Old
01-01-2011, 09:45 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not seeing a coaching problem. When Stevens was coach, there were problems.
There were certainly problems when Stevens was around, but I will never agree that it was all Stevens' fault. He obviously lost the confidence of the players and had to go.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 10:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
There were certainly problems when Stevens was around, but I will never agree that it was all Stevens' fault. He obviously lost the confidence of the players and had to go.
Any coach being fired is never completely their fault. Stevens was fired because the team lacked the structure needed to win in the playoffs, and the rumors of in-fighting and lack of focus day-to-day was very real. Probably not to the point we and the media discussed, but enough.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:29 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Umm what? Nice to see you're still alive. By the way the Flyers smoked Stevens and the Kings a few days ago. I'm pretty sure it was due to Stevens awful coaching and not baking a cake.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote