HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much can we afford on FA market?

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Why do we have to buy out Bridebois??? I think he would be willing to renegotiated his contract...

Old
06-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Traitor8

exactly..Brisebois loved and still loves Montreal and he played well so what's the problem?

Old
06-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
exactly..Brisebois loved and still loves Montreal and he played well so what's the problem?
he's overpaid !!!

Old
06-20-2005, 09:25 PM
Traitor8

well if re-does his contract ..he won't be anymore

Old
06-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I wonder if there isn't room to do a whole lot more buying out. Now, we aren't the Leafs or Flyers... those teams have enough money to throw around on buyouts that they can really clean house if they choose.

But might we want to consider stepping a bit beyond just Brisebois here? He's a given, because it's an option in his contract already. He'll be bought out, and he could be re-signed lower (although I wouldn't bother, personally).

But what about others... Rivet, Zednik, Bonk... Sundstrom, Souray...??? Arguably, if the league and other teams really do go heavy on the buyouts, you might be able to replace any and all of them cheaper, with better players. Rivet is probably the leader in this category, while perhaps Z and Souray aren't very good choices. Bonk is somewhere in the middle. But if the new CBA does come in with a one-time 2/3rds buyout option for all players, should we look beyond just Brisebois?

I happen to be a big Rivet fan, but one could imagine signing two players of his calibre for the same salary. Ditto Bonk.

Old
06-21-2005, 10:54 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Free agents

If Kovalev isnt the second coming who should be on the list? Is Neidermeyer actually available? Neider and Murray would be great

Old
06-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF
What's your beef on Zednik? Alright, he's inconsistant from time to time, but we sorely lack scorers on this team, and he's one of the only we have...
he can't finish a play, he always trie's to deke a D using the boards, rarely with good results, his aim ain't the best, without Koivu he doesn't produce, i just think we could use his spot with someone younger or with more talent "Kovalev", I'd like a Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev line a lot more than a Kovalev-Koivu-Zednick line

Old
06-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Traitor8

LOL replace Zednik for cheaper??!?!

I think he's making like 1.8 ...how much cheaper can u get for a 30 Goal scorer.

Old
06-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
If Kovalev isnt the second coming who should be on the list? Is Neidermeyer actually available? Neider and Murray would be great
Who isn't on the list might be a more answerable question.
If Tkachuk or Nolan or somebody like that is available as a PF, that's worth thinking about IMHO. John LeClair looks like he's pretty much finished, but if he's cheap enough, I'd like to repatriate him too. Only the young stars and a few core vets aren't on the list. Practically everybody else could be considered. Niedermayer, Pronger, Blake even... why not?

Old
06-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
FA list:

http://www.geocities.com/floridapant.../free2005.html

It's not a perfect list as some players like Hamrlik are 31 but yet listed as Group II players (i.e. RFA's) when they should be UFA's. Plus they have guys like Ragnarsson retired when they haven't.

I count at least 15 D's who would be improvements on Brisebois. That's why we need to free up his cap hold (is that the first ''cap hold'' reference in hockey message board history?) and take a chance at getting one of those guys.

Old
06-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
LOL replace Zednik for cheaper??!?!

I think he's making like 1.8 ...how much cheaper can u get for a 30 Goal scorer.
if you were talking about me i said younger not cheaper and i dont think Kovalev will come much cheaper do you?
2nd he just signed a 9 million dollar contract for 3 years
3rd Koivu can make any winger a 30 goal scorer, he was useful in the past, ijust wish to put this team in a new level

Old
06-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Who isn't on the list might be a more answerable question.
If Tkachuk or Nolan or somebody like that is available as a PF, that's worth thinking about IMHO. John LeClair looks like he's pretty much finished, but if he's cheap enough, I'd like to repatriate him too. Only the young stars and a few core vets aren't on the list. Practically everybody else could be considered. Niedermayer, Pronger, Blake even... why not?
Tkachuk or Nolan? No thanks! Tkachuk is too selfish and Nolan is done with his wonky-80 year old back.

Old
06-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz
Tkachuk or Nolan? No thanks! Tkachuk is too selfish and Nolan is done with his wonky-80 year old back.
I'd take either of them over Kovalev, though.
But never mind them, what about Forsberg, Naslund, Modano, Sakic, Jagr, etc? There are lots of directions to look before settling back to Kovalev, that's all.

Old
06-21-2005, 09:51 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Thomas made some calculations over at 2m4b and he estimated this:

(04-05 salary)

C - Saku Koivu - $3,420,000* (4,500,000)
C - Mike Ribeiro - $1,250,000* (1,550,000)
C - Radek Bonk - $2,394,000
C - Steve Begin - $608,000

LW - Richard Zednik - $1,824,000
LW - Chris Higgins - $845,880
LW - Jan Bulis - $1,140,000* (1,500,000)
LW - Tomas Plekanec - $750,000*

RW - Michael Ryder - $1,250,000* (Same as Ribeiro)
RW - Alexander Perezhogin - $845,880
RW - Niklas Sundstrom - $988,000
RW - Jason Ward - $608,000* (Same as Begin)

D - Andrei Markov - 1,750,000* (2,300,000)
D -
D - Sheldon Souray - $2,128,000
D - Mike Komisarek - $1,000,000*
D - Craig Rivet - $2,660,000
D - Ron Hainsey - $575,000

G - Jose Theodore - $4,180,000* (5,500,000)
G - Cristobal Huet - $450,000

Total = $28,666,760

* are estimates.

Basically, we'd have 7-8 million $ to add missing pieces (D and/or winger) assuming the cap is 36 mil and GG wants to pay some of the rumored luxury tax.

I'd be VERY surprised if the Habs pay some of these players that much. Including Theo. The game has changed. The salaries will be much, much lower than that. I expect Theo to make around 3.5, not more.

Old
06-21-2005, 10:01 PM
deandebean

Kovalev? Wouldn't touch him. As for Z, for 1.6 or 1.7, I'd take him. He scores, but unfortunately, he's a unidimensional player. I'm still not convinced...Reminds me of Steph Richer: has the talent, but does not use it to its fullest. He doesn't drive the net as much as he should. He did it against Boston a couple of years ago. And he was plain dominant. But he's stopped doing so.

Not more than 1.6.

Besides, there are a lot of free agents on the market. I'm sure Bob will get some for his team.

Old
06-22-2005, 06:39 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I'd take either of them over Kovalev, though.
But never mind them, what about Forsberg, Naslund, Modano, Sakic, Jagr, etc? There are lots of directions to look before settling back to Kovalev, that's all.
Yes, there are a lot of players we can get and it doesn't have to be Kovalev. What we need is top 2 line winger and there are many other options. A guy like Murray would fit in perfectly IMO because of the size and goal scoring. Kovalev would also fit the bill and even Forsberg since he's played LW quite a bit in the last few seasons (hey! I can dream too you know).

Old
06-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
I'd be VERY surprised if the Habs pay some of these players that much. Including Theo. The game has changed. The salaries will be much, much lower than that. I expect Theo to make around 3.5, not more.
Dean, these numbers are projections based on 76% of what they were gonna make in 04-05 if there was a season or figures close to that. I agree that there's a strong chance some of those salaries will be lower, but I think it's best to expect those salaries now and hope Bob can work his magic so we can get a couple of those players for less.

Old
06-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Hab at it

Quote:
Kovalev? Wouldn't touch him. As for Z, for 1.6 or 1.7, I'd take him. He scores, but unfortunately, he's a unidimensional player. I'm still not convinced...Reminds me of Steph Richer: has the talent, but does not use it to its fullest. He doesn't drive the net as much as he should. He did it against Boston a couple of years ago. And he was plain dominant. But he's stopped doing so.

Not more than 1.6.

Besides, there are a lot of free agents on the market. I'm sure Bob will get some for his team.
While I agree with the fact that Zed doesn't seem to give 110% all the time the same as Richer would slack off, I totally disagree about the talent level. When Richer wanted to he could deke out the whole team and pot a highlight reel goal or he could blast one of the hardest slapshots I've ever seen past the goalie. Zednik has neither the moves or shot that Richer possessed IMO.

Old
06-23-2005, 10:36 AM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
That depends on what the new qualifying/restricted free agency rules are going to be. If the RFA rules stay more or less the same, the Habs will have to qualify Theodore at around $4.5 million, or turn him into an UFA. If he's an UFA, who knows where he'll end up. Teams like Minnesota may actually have to raise their payrolls, and its not like there isn't a pretty good Montreal connection over there. Look how well Dwayne Roloson and Manny Fernandez play under Jacques Lemaire, now imagine Theodore. I'm sure they'd be quite happy to bid more than $3.5 million for Theodore.

Also, buyouts cost money. They may not appear in the salary cap number, but if Gillett has to give Brisebois $1 million to go away, and another $2-3 million to whoever else, and THEN sign more players, I'm not sure he'll be all that interested. He claimed to have lost $5-10 million with a $42 million cap, and he no longer has that ESPN money coming in ($3 million), and who knows what affect the lockout will have on other numbers (advertising, radio, TV rights etc.), or if he will be forced to lower ticket prices (yeah, right). He may even have to share revenue, as one of the higher revenue teams in the league.

His revenue is down a minimum $3 million already, and you guys want him to spend like $36 million just on salaries, another $3-6 million on luxury taxes, and another say $3 million on buyouts?? He'll lose more money than he did on the old system...

Closed Thread