HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tomas Plekanec Value...

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Tomas Plekanec Value...

I like Pleks but I can't see how he could become a part of the Habs with Higgins and Perezhogin in front of him in the depht chart so what could we receive for Plekanec?

Old
06-22-2005, 02:14 PM
MasterD

Not much, unfortunately... I really like him, but he has not dominated the AHL, and has barely played the NHL....

At VERY best he could become a 2nd line player on a weaker team, but I see him becoming a 3rd line center....

now, 3rd line center is an important position, but if you,re gonna trade for an unrpven prospect to play there, you'Re not gonna pay much

Old
06-22-2005, 02:22 PM

I don't get why people always say there's no room for Plekanec?

Why is that

Perezhogin and Higgins haven't made the team yet, if you're putting them ahead of Plekanec on the depth chart, it's only your opinion...

Who says Plekanec doesn't come to camp and outplays both of them, I really like Plekanec's chances of making the team, he's a little more experienced than Higgins and he's more versatile than Perezhogin, doesn't mean I think he's better than those two or that he'll have more success, but i'm sure if he's traded he's a player we'll regret giving up on so soon

Old
06-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Dragon

Am I the only one who see Plekanec taking over No.2 centre spot from Ribs in coming 2 years?

Old
06-22-2005, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
Am I the only one who see Plekanec taking over No.2 centre spot from Ribs in coming 2 years?

Who knows what the future holds, alot of things can happen...

Ribeiro can come in this year and completely implode, or he can come in this year play his *** off and force the departure of Koivu, either one of Koivu, Ribeiro and Bonk could get injured thus forcing Plekanec to step in...

i could go on and on...and we can speculate over and over again, training camp is where we'll get the real answers until then, all the "rookies" (Plekanec, Higgins, Hossa, Perezhogin) are all in the same boat, and you can even throw Dagenais name in there too....

Old
06-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
Not on this board...

But I really don't get it...Ribeiro is slowly becoming our #1 center. He's a great player and nobody can denied that...

As for Pleks being in front of Higgins and Perezhogin, well, it can be true but we would have the same problem the year after...we would have to make some room for them and you could add Kostitsyn in that group...Who would you raither have between all these players. I can't see Pleks having an awesome first season in the NHL.

Old
06-22-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Not on this board...

But I really don't get it...Ribeiro is slowly becoming our #1 center. He's a great player and nobody can denied that...

As for Pleks being in front of Higgins and Perezhogin, well, it can be true but we would have the same problem the year after...we would have to make some room for them and you could add Kostitsyn in that group...Who would you raither have between all these players. I can't see Pleks having an awesome first season in the NHL.
That's a pretty blanket statement...

Old
06-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Empireshark

unless we get the number one draft pick I say we trade him to move up in the draft as far as we can. we have too many players like him in the system and I for one think that perezhogin and higgins have more upside from what I've seen over the last two years.

Old
06-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Right now, I doubt you'd get anything in a trade for Plekanec. Maybe a 7th round draft pick. Okay, maybe a 3rd rounder if there is some GM out there who has a buddy he trusts leaning on him telling him how fabulous he thinks Plekanec is. But that's the absolute most. Heck, depending on what is done with the waivers system in the new CBA, Plekanec would be available to all the teams for free if he can't crack the Habs.

So basically, if he can crack the lineup: he's worth more to us than the weak market value he might have. (middle-late round draft pick?). If he can't crack the lineup, he's worth nothing, and we'd lose him for nothing.

Under circumstances like that, I don't think there's any question whatsoever of trading Plekanec. We have to play him, even in a spare part capacity, and see what he can do.

Old
06-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
With the nuber of players goin back to Russia and retiring player everywhere in the league with some team ready to give a shot to cheap talent on the lesser lines under the new cap you can bet Plekanec value rise up a notch .

But hes more valuable to us than whatever we could get for him imo so lets keep him and give him his shot at training camp . (edit: like blid guardian say )

Old
06-22-2005, 04:13 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I think that we shouldn't trade him... He's got decent speed, he can bring some energy and offensive output. But his main asset is that he kills penalities really well. I'd say that he's going to be a role player with the habs. 4th line duties + PK. Plekanec is a quality player to fill this role. Why would we try to get rid of him? It's a plus to have guys like that in the system.

Old
06-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Habbadasher

Plecs might surprise us all, then again, he might not be able to have am impact. I agree with the above, it's up to Perez, Higs, and Plecs to prove themselves.

Old
06-22-2005, 04:47 PM
eddy

I wouldn't want to trade Pleks. We wouldn't get a whole lot to begin with because of the fact that he has minimal NHL experience though he could become as much as a second liner but a pretty much can't miss for a 3/4 liner, I'd say he truns out to be a good 3rd liner so it'd definetly be more worth while just to keep him. I think next year with alot of forwards he won't play a full season but he'll be in and out of the line-up and injuries happen he'll get in there no matter what. As for his value i'd say a 3rd pick maybe a 2nd at most, he'd be useful in a package deal I don't see any use in trading him straight up for another pick or prospect.

Old
06-22-2005, 05:02 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
4 good lines

Lets not be like the boys at Habfans and believe that the Habs only need 2 good lines. Having quality on 4th line and having a good PK is important. Plek may be a futur Selke winner. The HABS NEED 4 GOOD LINES

Old
06-23-2005, 12:02 AM
nilan1

well if plexs was a canadian or french he might get more respect.Plexs is around 200lbs works hard is atwo way forward can skate and hanle the puck and has alot of grit. He will be on the team unless he is traded beause he would have to clear waivers to be sent down I do not see Montreal loosing him for nothing.I also see his trad value higher than a third rounder. He can also play wing but my guess is he will be the fourth centre with Begin on l wing. As for plex not dominating the AHL neither has Higgins or Pery and everyone is kissing their butts aswell ass Bowmeester who was what a -33 this yr and not much better in the nhl. Plex will be just fine and he will help the habs, as forhis future with team who knows all sorts of things can happen with team.

Old
06-23-2005, 01:50 AM
Buumbaclat22

Pleks could be important in the long run... who knows
But contrarely to some others guys here, i dont see Ribeiro taking the #1 centre job...
He's a #2 guy for sure, but not #1.
He will never have Koivu's drive, nor passion. Yes Ribeiro has amazing hands, and good passing skills, but he lacks scoring skills, lacks a lot of strength and isnt dominant whatsoever on the boards or in front of the net... u will never see him scoring a goal while paying the price in front of the net.

Old
06-23-2005, 06:34 AM
Fozz

Pleks can't be sent back to the AHL without clearing waiver and I think he's worth more to the team than a 2nd or 3rd round draft choice. I don't think he'll ever take Ribs' spot on the 2nd line but I do think he can be a good 3rd or 4th line center.

In terms of ceiling, I can see him become a Kris Draper type with good defensive skills, great penalty killer and great speed that will, in time, bring some offense to the mix but it going to take some time.

Old
06-23-2005, 06:36 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buumbaclat22
But contrarely to some others guys here, i dont see Ribeiro taking the #1 centre job...
He will never have Koivu's drive, nor passion. Yes Ribeiro has amazing hands, and good passing skills, but he lacks scoring skills, lacks a lot of strength and isnt dominant whatsoever on the boards or in front of the net... u will never see him scoring a goal while paying the price in front of the net.
Of course you won't, that not his game. Put a power forward on his line to do just that and you'll see Ribiero flourish into a number 1 center, garanteed.

Old
06-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Alone, Plekanec won't fetch much. In a package, maybe with a veterant player, he's much more interesting. A lot of team would be tempted by a good, young two-way forward. He may never become a good NHLer but on the other hand, he could end up a potent second line center. And that's nothing to be ashame about.

He may not have "dominated" the AHL, but he still ended up being the best Bulldogs forward this season as well as being nominated all-start MVP... not too bad in my book.

Old
06-23-2005, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buumbaclat22
Interesting username BTW

Old
06-23-2005, 08:44 AM
mcphee

If 1 dimensional tough guys become obsolete, I see Plekanec between Ward and Begin. If a tough guy is necessary, Pleks will have a hard time seeing the ice. Not the nicest of realities, but there ya go. I see Higgins and Perez. making it on the wing unless Hossa has a big camp. Neither Plekanec nor Hossa has as serious value outside of Montreal without doing something at the NHL level.

Old
06-23-2005, 10:13 AM
Habruti!

I think there was some pretty good comments on that thread that kind of made me change my mind about Plekanek. I never denied is qualities and I actually think he is a great player to have in our system. My original view was that if we sign a UFA forward then Plek would be likely traded but....

Re-thinking about it, this guys is our most experienced AHLer in the system, he can play just about any position. I do not think he will be a star but could fill any holes imo. If Either Ribs our Koivu ( or both) would get injurred, Bonk would probably need to move to center one of the top line and Plekanek would likekly need to take is spot.

I never saw him as a real option on the fourth line but thinking about it he migth complement Begin very well....

Old
06-23-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti!
I think there was some pretty good comments on that thread that kind of made me change my mind about Plekanek. I never denied is qualities and I actually think he is a great player to have in our system. My original view was that if we sign a UFA forward then Plek would be likely traded but....

Re-thinking about it, this guys is our most experienced AHLer in the system, he can play just about any position. I do not think he will be a star but could fill any holes imo. If Either Ribs our Koivu ( or both) would get injurred, Bonk would probably need to move to center one of the top line and Plekanek would likekly need to take is spot.

I never saw him as a real option on the fourth line but thinking about it he migth complement Begin very well....
He's got as good a chance as Perezhogin and Higgins do of making the team, Bégin is more effective on the wing IMO, so a center for the 4th line will be needed, even if we do decide to dress a fridge on wheels (enforcer) he won't play every game, Koivu's injury history isin't exactly stellar, Ribeiro still has alot to prove...

Closed Thread