HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Dwayne Roloson Traded To Tampa Bay

Old
01-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Law

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Dwayne Roloson Traded To Tampa Bay

For D prospect Ty Wishart.

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...for-islanders/

Last edited by Law: 01-01-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:35 PM
CodeE

Wow, can't help but feel happy for Rolo, the Lightning seem like a perfect fit of a talented team who need a goaltender.

Quote:
Talent Analysis

Wishart has excellent size, is mobile and has the hockey sense to be a dominant defenseman. He possesses good offensive tools with a heavy shot and good vision in the offensive zone. Does not play the punishing game expected of a player his size but is a skilled defender who knows how to use positioning and angles to his advantage. Wishart has continued to improve in two seasons at the AHL level and is on the cusp of being NHL-ready.
Future

A former first round pick, Wishart will challenge for a spot with the Lightning this season. The Lightning defense corps currently features four players 30-years-old or older so he may once again be returned to Norfolk rather than see limited ice time at the NHL level. Long-term, Wishart projects as a top pairing defenseman who plays a lot of minutes and who contributes at both ends of the ice.
Hockey's Future also had Wishart listed as the Lightning's #1 defensive prospect. I wonder if he's ready for the Islanders now, or will he be kept with the Sound Tigers?

CodeE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Trots19

vCash: 50
anybody know anything of this kid? looks like good size, former first rounder

Trots19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
and to think if Garth waited we could of gotten Semin

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

vCash: 169
Send a message via MSN to Bish please
Put up so-so numbers for Norfolk but having a somewhat breakout season this year a long with the rest of the Admirals, very big, good skater, probably needed a change of scenery as he was being passed up for callups by the likes of Mathieu Roy and Mike Vernace and couldn't beat out Matt Smaby or Randy Jones for a job. Very nice guy and does a lot for the community. I'd say his value is about that of a late 2nd rounder which both fanbases seemed to like.

Just wish we could have done this trade before Roloson turned into Patrick Roy that last game against us.

Bish please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:47 PM
4Isles4*

By By Bruno....wow Young and good size....better than a 2nd round pick.....

Rolie will forever be one of my favorites to ever dawn the Isles sweater.....he gave it his all and never gave excuses...he will be missed but its all about the future....since the isles will not make the Playoffs...I will be rotting for tampa to win the cup.....

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Macch

This takes care of the log jam in the AHL

Macch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:48 PM
4cups*

Good trade for both teams. The Isles needed a defensive prospect just like Wishart, while Rolo at 41 needed a chance to play for the Cup!

4cups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:51 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
This takes care of the log jam in the AHL
That was the second thing I thought of. The first....good for Roloson to have a shot at winning now.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:52 PM
GOLFWANG

bye bye rolie

and are we close to the cap?

GOLFWANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:52 PM
hgo

I'm not the biggest fan of this trade. Again, why are we dumping guys now when we could get teams to panic at the trade deadline?

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:53 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Great for rollie. He was the ULTIMATE professional here. Busted his arse daily for this team & stole a ton of points...hope the boys in tb can supply him with a ton more offense so he doesn't need to stop 43 of 44 just to take em to OT. Thanks rollie.

Wishart is a pretty good return. Thought wed have to take on some salary when dumping roughly 5.5 mil in these trades

isles31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:55 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

I like this trade. Very happy with the return, and very happy for Roloson.

EDIT: My guess is Tampa is going to waive Mike Smith, we might pick him up if that's the case.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Aucoin3

i hate losing Roloson but at least it isnt a 2nd round pick

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
I'm not the biggest fan of this trade. Again, why are we dumping guys now when we could get teams to panic at the trade deadline?
Because teams may not panic at the deadline. Remember last year, everyone expected Philly and Chicago to get into a bidding war for goalies and they both stood pat.

TB was the only obvious team to need a goalie this year. If they grabbed one elsewhere the Isles could have found themselves without a market for Roli at the deadline..

As for the value, we will see. If he can be a second pairing dman with size, it will be at great trade. If he is a career AHL player...

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
4cups*

Wishart is now NHL ready, I wonder if he plays with the big club already.

Old
01-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Law

Good luck, one of my favs even though he wasn't here long.

We have to be at or near the floor now, no? Or do we have one more salary dump to go?

Old
01-01-2011, 09:58 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
We thought the same thing the last two trade deadlines and the best we got was in the Sutton deal. If this kid pans out then this may be our best deal yet. Hopefully this will be like e Aucoin deal where we got a stud D man from Tampa.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 10:00 PM
4cups*

Can't really argue the return. Wishart is Tampa's #1 D prospect & its what the Isles needed a big mobile defenseman.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Again View Post
We thought the same thing the last two trade deadlines and the best we got was in the Sutton deal. If this kid pans out then this may be our best deal yet. Hopefully this will be like e Aucoin deal where we got a stud D man from Tampa.
Wasn't the Campoli deal (for the 1st that we turned into deHaan) close to the deadline? In Feb as I recall.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Antidote

DP's knee has already started to swell!

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 10:04 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

As others have said, interesting Wishart never came up to play. Smaby and Vernace made the opening day roster before Wishart did. I'm suprised the Isles didn't get more out of this deal.

I'm also suprised the Bolts wanted another goalie. Smith was playing pretty damn good before his injury. I don't see them getting rid of Smith. And now the new guy Dejardins has had two really good games.

Not sure what Tampa will do next.

Weird seeing my two favorite teams trade amongst themselves. The Lightning now have Thompson, Bergenheim, and Roloson lol.

I was ready and ok with Roloson leaving. Just kinda upset that Tampa got him, because I don't want Smith to go. I'm glad the Isles got rid of him though, with DP playing well and being our #1 guy with no question.

So does this bring Lawson up? Or is this some scheme to try and pick up Nabakov? I realize the Nabby pickup is highly improbable giving his waivers situation and our unlikely chance of throwing alot of money at him.

I think that would be a sweet 1-2 punch with DP and Nabby.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
John TavArt Ross

Good for Roli. We finally got a player and not a pick! The rebuild has ended!

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Wasn't the Campoli deal (for the 1st that we turned into deHaan) close to the deadline? In Feb as I recall.
Yes I believe it was, but that DeHaan pick cost us several additional picks as well. I think it was like five picks traded.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar R Jones View Post
Put up so-so numbers for Norfolk but having a somewhat breakout season this year a long with the rest of the Admirals, very big, good skater, probably needed a change of scenery as he was being passed up for callups by the likes of Mathieu Roy and Mike Vernace and couldn't beat out Matt Smaby or Randy Jones for a job. Very nice guy and does a lot for the community. I'd say his value is about that of a late 2nd rounder which both fanbases seemed to like.

Just wish we could have done this trade before Roloson turned into Patrick Roy that last game against us.
very fair trade, We get a Solid mobile big defender who by all accounts has 1st pairing potential, plus Rolie gets to go play for something. I like the trade, not often you get a defender this big who is considered mobile and not have the qualifier "for his size" added.... Admiral fans I spoke to tell me We'll love this kid, That he really came into his own this year.

one fan I spoke to says he's great with the community and kids and that he's the Admirals most popular player and he told me he was sad to see him traded but that he's so glad he'll finally get a chance with the Isles......

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote