HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lapierre traded to Anaheim for D-Brett Festerling & a 5th round pick

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
lol ya festerling is nothing...just like gorges was nothing and huet was nothing...just measly throw ins with no potential to succeed.

bottom line is whether you think lapierre was good or not..his role with this team has drastically decreased...there is nothing he did under martin that cannot be EASILY replaced. i loved max for the one year under carbo and the max we had during the playoffs...that max had the same role this year and still barely showed up. a 4th liner that is inconsistent and does not play important minutes does not get you more than a pick and a prospect in return. tbh im surprised we got more than a pick.

whether or not you think he could have been used better on thus team he was not under martin and that makes him a very replaceable player for montreal.
Gorges was behind Carle, Erhoff, McLaren, Vlasic, Hannan, Murray and then Rivet who was acquired for Gorges. Also note that the Sharks management didn't like to see Gorges going. But that he was the price to pay for a rugged vet like Rivet.

Please find me the statement where the Ducks are so sad to see Festerling go. Festerling who was behind d-men like....Visnovski (of course), Fowler, Lydman and Lilja, Syvret, Sutton, Mara, Mikkelson and Brookbank. Sorry but to me that's much weaker than what the Sharks had.

So Gorges was never nothing. He was something we didn't know too much about. Festerling is much close to nothing than Gorges ever was, by the way a Gorges who at that time was 22. A small difference but difference nonetheless.

Having said all of that, I will agree with you that we cannot call him a waste just yet. 24 is still young in D-men years. We will see later.

Old
01-01-2011, 05:53 PM
PacoXIII

The fact is it's a damn shame. Maxim Lapierre was one of those players that regardless of his clear lack of talent came to every game and worked his butt off. Granted, it didnt always produce much especially under the reign of Jacques Martin BUT let's not forget how much of a factor he was during the playoffs with his ***** talking and important 1 or 2 goals. He had speed, grit and every one in a while would take a good beating like a man from a superior fighter.

Too bad it didnt work out, he'll have success elsewhere book that.

Good news is, im really happy for Desharnais. Im just curious to see what kind of role he will be given.

GO HABS GO

Old
01-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Cross View Post
LINK: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eric-...-pick/82/32514

Read on a bit to find it Renaud Lavoie broke the trade stating that Max requested a trade earlier during the week BAM.
Okay so now it's time to believe this stupid media that are lying all the time? Or can we believe the guy himself, Lapierre, who mentions that while he didn't specifically ask for a trade, he just asked to see more confidence from the coach unless it had to mean there was no future for him.

And then some people will find that it's the same. Euh no. You go to your coach, you want to be more implicated in the game. And then what happens if....you are? Didn't you just get what you've asked for? If so, why would he still want to be traded? Let just pretend Martin makes a mistake and use him on the PK and Lapierre starts doing an incredible job...and then Martin use him again....and again....and again....Would Lapierre still want a trade? Players that request a trade would want to leave even if they'd be playing 6 positions at once. From Lapierre himself, it would not have been the case.

But I guess, now that it makes some people feel better, NOW it's the time to believe that great press of ours....

Old
01-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Bieber fever

Gauthier is know as a GM who is scared to trade in the same division/conference....I understand you have to try to trade player as far as possible but when you have better offers from teams in your conference , you have to put the trigger on it and stop being affraid.

I don't know if it was the case with Lapierre tho...

Old
01-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoXIII View Post
The fact is it's a damn shame. Maxim Lapierre was one of those players that regardless of his clear lack of talent came to every game and worked his butt off. Granted, it didnt always produce much especially under the reign of Jacques Martin BUT let's not forget how much of a factor he was during the playoffs with his ***** talking and important 1 or 2 goals. He had speed, grit and every one in a while would take a good beating like a man from a superior fighter.

Too bad it didnt work out, he'll have success elsewhere book that.

Good news is, im really happy for Desharnais. Im just curious to see what kind of role he will be given.

GO HABS GO
Role for Desharnais? Do people really envision Martin putting Gomez on the 3rd line. Close your eyes people and try to pretend it will be happening....sorry I don't see it. If he does it, I'll be the first to congratulate him. But I don't believe he will. If the idea is to have 3 possible offensive line, I don,t see David succeeding with Eller on his wings. I would definately go with MaxPac-Desharnais-Gionta. And Gomez centering the 3rd line with whoever they want. But I don't expect a lot as far as his role is concerned. I will admit being wrong if they do. I do see some PP time though on the 2nd wave.

Old
01-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Celtic Cross

either way hes gone. but ofcourse he is going to downplay it. and of course the media will make hype over ****, but buddy wanted the link and there the link is.

Old
01-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietReign View Post
I give up.....
You should watch the games then.

Old
01-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Newhabfan

Why is this thread not merged ?

Old
01-01-2011, 08:16 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
Oh look! its the draft police telling us that a 5th rounder is worth more than a proven NHLer. (jk)

in all seriousness... I'm all in for Desharnais... I'm happy to see him get the go, but I would have prefered players like Pyatt and Moen to be traded to create a spot. Desharnais is all I ask of a hockey player - just like Halak was. A fierce, serious competitor who's been consistently written off and makes it his life project to prove everybody wrong. He's not Martin st-louis...and never will be, but he certainly comes from the same state of mind.

Maxime Lapierre won't score 30 goals... but a consistent 15 to 20 without any powerplay time. On the PK , he used to play phenomenal for us, and hasn't got the chance to play on the PK and was left on the side for players such as moen. Down the road (~2 years) maxime lapierre will be significant upgrade over all our current (or prospects) bottom 6 players. Maxime lapierre has better hands and offensive flair than what he is given credit for. On top of that, a proven playoff performer.

White ? sure ... why not... he's already an upgrade over Pyatt ... but if that isn't so in martin's head, I'd prefer to leave him down in hamilton playing good minutes. And yeah ... he could end up better than lapierre, but that hardly makes lapierre ''more expandable'' . What about the two of them on a line?

the prospect we got in the trade is insignificant... we have plenty of bottom pairing minute players...and have the opportunity to sign hamrlik cheaper with less responsabilities ... what we need is a healthy top pairing Dman.

wiz, gorges , gill , hamrlik, spacek, picard, weber, subban ..... the pool of players capable of playing bottom line minutes is deep enough, but none of the above is a top pairing Dman in the NHL. (subban in a couple of years, if he improves steadily)

so yeah, it has the smell of a dumb ****ing trade ; just like Obyrne's trade, even prior to markov going down. ...and the desjardins trade.
don't agree with you most of the times, but this is a good post!

Old
01-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
You know, I was wondering why the Habs sucked big time this year on the PK ! Now I understand - it's because JM was not using Lapierre on, and preferred sticking with losers like Plekanec, Halpern and Pyatt.
You're a smart guy, right? Since you seem to have all the answers, tell me something... Is it remotely possible that by using Plekanec, Gomez, Gionta and recently Cammalleri to kill penalties, Martin is actually creating the fact that the Habs are 24th out of 30 teams in goals for per game?

Hear me out here... If he used his bottom 6 to kill penalties, wouldn't he be able to put his top 6 on the ice in an offensive role immediately after that PK? As right now, he needs to put his 3-4th line on the ice to rest his top offensive players as they just came off the ice DEFENDING! Afterall, Lapierre as shown that he can kill penalties, and so did others on the bottom 6.

Old
01-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Max Levine

I don't like this trade. I wasn't one of Lapierre's biggest fans but he has shown in the past he could be quite valuable. He formed one of the best third lines with Latendresse and Kostopoulos a couple years ago and one of the best checking lines with Pyatt and Moore after we acquired the latter. I didn't like the fact that he couldn't fight, yet he was the one who took revenge for one of his teammates earlier.

Subban mentioned that Laps was the one who took care of him when he came over. I think we saw Max taking care of Gomez when he first came to Montreal for the golf tournament. He obviously cared about that team and remained faithful and professional after his buddy Latendresse made some negative comments about the organization.

I was wondering why JM wouldn't keep Halpern with Pyatt and Lapierre. That seemed to be the best checking line he could come up with. But he kept switching players around, leaving Pyatt on the side. If it were my choice, I would have kept Lapierre and gotten rid of Moen. I cannot see how Travis will remain here at the end of his contract. And in the meantime, his cost is 50% more than the player we just traded. Of the two, I would have expected Moen to be much more physical. Especially since he doesn't bring much more of anything else.

I don't see a future for Festerling with the Habs and a 5th round pick isn't worth much, despite the fact that you could end up being lucky and find a jewel. So Lapierre was pretty much given to Anaheim.

I won't shed a tear over this trade but as much as I applauded Gauthier's transaction with the Islanders, I gotta give him thumbs down on this one.

Old
01-01-2011, 09:02 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
what makes u think hes gonna be an upgrade? what has he done to convince u of that? 4 preseason games?
Well for one, White will actually fight instead of just yapping and then embarrassing himself and his team.

Lappy reminded me a lot of Odie from the Garfield comic strip, he runs around full of energy but once he gets the puck(bone) he has no clue what to do with it. Combine the fact that he was a total puck hog with no hockey sense.... Well Lappy and Lats can have dinner four times a season... Good for them.

Old
01-01-2011, 09:08 PM
suprez

Old
01-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Well for one, White will actually fight instead of just yapping and then embarrassing himself and his team.
Fight? On a Jacques Martin team?

That'll be a sure way to get himself a nice warm spot in Martin's doghouse.

Old
01-01-2011, 09:13 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
Maxime Lapierre won't score 30 goals... but a consistent 15 to 20 without any powerplay time. On the PK , he used to play phenomenal for us, and hasn't got the chance to play on the PK and was left on the side for players such as moen. Down the road (~2 years) maxime lapierre will be significant upgrade over all our current (or prospects) bottom 6 players. Maxime lapierre has better hands and offensive flair than what he is given credit for. On top of that, a proven playoff performer.
Sorry but how do you get that Lapierre is a consistent 15-20 goal guy?

And I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Lapierre was never really that good on the PK, he was always out of position and only made up for it because of his speed. He was nothing special.

Stop pretending he was anymore more than a 4th liner. And the word "consistent" should never be used in describing him.

Old
01-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Sorry but how do you get that Lapierre is a consistent 15-20 goal guy?

And I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Lapierre was never really that good on the PK, he was always out of position and only made up for it because of his speed. He was nothing special.

Stop pretending he was anymore more than a 4th liner. And the word "consistent" should never be used in describing him.
There is no need to pretend since he did form the third line in the past few years. Are you a new fan? You can ask around if you don't know.

Old
01-01-2011, 09:51 PM
lotusland

Either way

Either Laps is out of here. Iliked watching him play at times and often was totally frustrated with him. We need the room for other kids, who are earning a spot. May Laps do well, but I think he skated himself out of a job here and his antics hurt the team too many times. As to what we got in return... considering that defensemen developslower than forwards...we may have another Gorges: hardly a bad thing and the 5th replaces the one lost to Get Wis. All In all ,thumbs up move.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:05 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Gauthier himself said yapierre didn't ask for the trade

Old
01-01-2011, 10:07 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
There is no need to pretend since he did form the third line in the past few years. Are you a new fan? You can ask around if you don't know.
Wow he had a good year two seasons ago and started to sulk like a baby after his friend got traded.

Who did he have to compete with for that spot? Kostopoulos? Begin? Dandenault?

You really convinced me he's a legit 3rd liner.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Gauthier himself said yapierre didn't ask for the trade
I listened to the interview Gauthier gave to cjad after the trade during an intermission during one of the recent games and Gauthier gave a very evasive answer, sort of like, "he(Lapierre) is too classy of a guy to ask for a trade but it was indicated by him he wanted out" or something to that effect.

I can't remember what was said verbatim but it was something close to that.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:32 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post

Lappy reminded me a lot of Odie from the Garfield comic strip, he runs around full of energy but once he gets the puck(bone) he has no clue what to do with it. Combine the fact that he was a total puck hog with no hockey sense.... Well Lappy and Lats can have dinner four times a season... Good for them.
Who cares about fighting? Once White scores 15 in this league, then we can debate hockey sense. Hell lets see if he can even play in the NHL. Greg Stewart was the greatest thing since sliced bread when they called him up, didnt last long.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:34 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Wow he had a good year two seasons ago and started to sulk like a baby after his friend got traded.

Probably was sulking cause dumbo made him useless like hus buddy Latendresse, who btw burried 25 in Minny.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Max Levine

Quote:

Yes, he had a good season two years ago. He also had a good end of season last year once he got to play with Moore and Pyatt. Add good playoffs. Not so bad after all.

You don't need to be convinced of anything. If you'd rather ignore certain facts and/or qualities, so be it. But don't judge those who have no problem being objective.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:37 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
He had one 15 goal season. That is more than the both his years before AND after that one season. Higgins scored 27 one year...are we missing him?

Old
01-01-2011, 10:44 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
He had one 15 goal season. That is more than the both his years before AND after that one season. Higgins scored 27 one year...are we missing him?
probably not but he was a good depth player, that brought some sandpaper in the playoffs. Those arent easy to find IMO

Closed Thread