HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would you give up for Versteeg? (or other Leafs)

Old
01-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
What would you give up for Versteeg? (or other Leafs)

Just out of curiosity. Been seeing his name on the main board, assuming he's available would you offer anything for him?

I think he can be a nice long-term option on the left-side. Obviously not as important a position as a legit top-pairing dmen or top-line center, but I don't think this organization would pass up on a player that improves their team.

I'd offer picks. 2nd+. Sather should have just traded for him instead of signing Frolov, imo.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Not interested. Undersized wingers are hardly an organizational weakness for us.

At least not for the likely price.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Nothing.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:30 AM
nyrleetch

Redden?

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:31 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Frolov + 3rd.

01-02-2011, 12:32 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Pass. Christian Thomas will be ready in 2-3 years and will be a cheaper and possibly better option

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:39 AM
trilobyte

It's hard to say how much of a factor it is being on the awful Leafs, but he is a peripheral player, a plugger. If it was a case of Frolov going and Versteeg arriving with a stroke of the pen and a snap of the fingers, then I would definitely say yes, but he doesn't look to me like anybody to count on, ala Frolov.

trilobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Not interested. Undersized wingers are hardly an organizational weakness for us.
Talent though, is something our organization is lacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Pass. Christian Thomas will be ready in 2-3 years and will be a cheaper and possibly better option
Pass on Versteeg because Thomas might be ready in a couple of years? Where have a heard that one before . . . . ?

Last edited by Boom Boom Geoffrion*: 01-02-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old
01-02-2011, 12:47 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

I don't mind him, but I don't think we should go after him. They only way I take him is if they overpay to give him to us, other than that, why give up assets for him?

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:55 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Versteeg is undersized but works hard. He's young, and his best hockey is ahead of him. He also has a reasonable cap hit at just over $3MM. For those reasons, I'd image the price to acquire him would be quite high.

We need a center. Maybe an upgrade on the back end. That's it, IMO.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Versteeg plays all forward positions which is a plus... however..

We have Dubinsky, Frolov, Prospal, Avery, Fedotenko currently who all play LW

We have Hagelin, Kreider, Bourque, Grachev as LW prospects.

As of right now, LW is the position we least need to be worried about.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:04 AM
SML

Nothing. This team has been going along just fine of late. I would wait a few months, if not right up to the deadline, to see what needs emerge before I give up anything for anyone.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:03 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Versteeg is undersized but works hard. He's young, and his best hockey is ahead of him. He also has a reasonable cap hit at just over $3MM. For those reasons, I'd image the price to acquire him would be quite high.
What do you think Toronto will settle for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
We need a center. Maybe an upgrade on the back end. That's it, IMO.
Center is definitely the biggest need, but you don't see 1C's shopped around often. I'd welcome a top-4 LD with open arms, despite how well Emingers played. Assuming we can't obtain a top-line center+top-4 LD, would you pass up on Versteeg for say, a 2nd+ (+ being another pick, Frolov, Gilroy, or prospect)?

Quote:
We have Dubinsky, Frolov, Prospal, Avery, Fedotenko currently who all play LW
Frolov won't finish the year on this team, imo. Fedetenko+Prospal might not be here next season, both are free-agents, and on the downside of their careers. Avery is nowhere near as talented as Versteeg. He's a goner after next season too (maybe earlier).

Quote:
We have Hagelin, Kreider, Bourque, Grachev as LW prospects.
Like you said, Versteeg is capable of playing any forward position. He can potentially grow with this team.

Quote:
As of right now, LW is the position we least need to be worried about.
Agreed, but would you pass on Versteeg for the right price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Nothing. This team has been going along just fine of late. I would wait a few months, if not right up to the deadline, to see what needs emerge before I give up anything for anyone.
I don't see guys like Christensen, Frolov, Prospal, and Fedotenko as long-term options. Drury and Avery might not be back when their contracts are up after next year.

We're not talking about a talented 'dummy' like Lisin. Or a KHL threat like Zherdev. Kid works hard, and understands the game. 24 years old, cup on his resume, versatile, right-handed shot, can DEFINITELY play in Torts' system. He's still improving his game too. Getting about 20min a night now in Toronto which is only going to help him in the long-run.

Old
01-02-2011, 02:32 AM
NY Ranger86

Frolov + 2nd for Versteeg?

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:40 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I'm meh about versteeg. I'm not completely sold on him. He had a slight decline last season recording 9 less points then the year before that one. And with pretty much half the season gone he has 24 points. So I'm thinking he finishes with 45-50 points. That would be consistent with what he's done over the last two seasons.

Now is that enough of a reason to acquire him? I dont know. What I do know is that he is only 24 years old. He is flashy but at the same time some people have seen that as a negative because he tries to be too flashy. He is 3rd on the Leafs in SOG and points. He has just 10 goals. We need more scoring. Would he provide that? Maybe. But will what Toronto is asking for be worth it? We have enough 3rd liners/border line 2nd liners on the team as it is. I do like that Versteeg is 2nd on the team in average ice time out of all the forwards on the team. He's averaging 20:01 ATOI, just 1 second behind Kessel. So at just 24 he is used to playing a lot of minutes. He's been playing on the PP and taking a lot of shots.

I think when you weigh all the pluses and minuses, what it comes down to, like most times when you're interested in a player, is what would Toronto want in return. There havent been many names mentioned in the rumor mill this season. I havent heard versteeg. But if he is out there, he might be the guy to get. Sather and Burke are friends. They've worked out deals in the past. I believe Burke was there when Antropov was traded to us for a 2nd round pick at the deadline two years ago.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:06 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post

Stepan is big and smart and he's barely ready at 20, so how do you figure Chris Thomas will be ready by the same age?

I think Thomas may be ready in 3.5 years minimum, maybe 5 years, maybe never due to his size.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:22 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Frolov + 2nd for Versteeg?
I wouldn't pay a 2nd period for Versteeg.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers can't really take on money for 2011-12 without shedding money. Versteeg has a $3M cap hit. $42M in commitments for next season. 6 group II free agents. 5 of them are arbitration eligible. No bonus cushion. People really need to understand the cap ramifications with this team going forward instead of taking on more money.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:47 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers can't really take on money for 2011-12 without shedding money. Versteeg has a $3M cap hit. $42M in commitments for next season. 6 group II free agents. 5 of them are arbitration eligible. No bonus cushion. People really need to understand the cap ramifications with this team going forward instead of taking on more money.
The cap will slightly increase. Two massive contracts expire in 2012. If Sather wants to acquire a versatile forward like Versteeg, he can bite a bullet for one season until cap flexibility arrives in July 2012.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:50 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
The cap will slightly increase. Two massive contracts expire in 2012. If Sather wants to acquire a versatile forward like Versteeg, he can bite a bullet for one season until cap flexibility arrives in July 2012.
Yeah, I don't think fitting Versteeg for that one year would be a big problem, but I still wouldn't give up anything to get him. There's just no real need for him, so the only way I'd do it would be Frolov for Versteeg + 3rd or something similiar. But why would the Leafs want do to that?

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:51 AM
pld459666

Versteeg for the right price is a player that could help this team alot.

Having another callahan type player fthis team can never be viewed as a bad thing.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:31 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

He is a solid player, but at this point, not someone this team really needs. We don't need more decent options at center. We need an ace. I would not be interested in trading for Versteeg at this point, especially because they'll want more for him than we should be willing to pay based on his value to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Having another callahan type player fthis team can never be viewed as a bad thing.
Versteeg is not really a Callahan type player. He's more of a one-dimensional offensive forward with better hands and skills than Callahan, but he leaves a lot to be desired in most of the areas where Callahan excels (decision making, play away from the puck, etc.).

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
do not want

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Ail
k.

Steeger for Frolov?

I think that's a decent move. Although the Frolov-Arty-Zucc line was one of the best last night, at least at keeping the pressure up in the offensive zone.

Edit: I doubt Toronto would make this move though.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Feds+Prospal+Frolov+White are off the books after the season. Gilroy and Eminger could be goners as well.

EC, Avery, Drury, and Rozy come off after next season.

Assuming Versteeg is available, we'd most likely be sending some type of salary back. I'm not proposing Anisimov for Richards here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Yeah, I don't think fitting Versteeg for that one year would be a big problem, but I still wouldn't give up anything to get him. There's just no real need for him, so the only way I'd do it would be Frolov for Versteeg + 3rd or something similiar. But why would the Leafs want do to that?
Again, we have some vets on this team who might not be part of the club next year. We also have our share of scrubs who aren't producing much. There is definitely room for someone like Versteeg in the long-run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Agreed.