HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2010, 02:21 PM
PepsiFiend

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted by dezign View Post
Overeem has an underrated ground game. He did win the ADCC European Qualifiers in 2005 and most of his victories are by submission.
Agreed, of his 33 victories, 19 have come by submission. He has only lost twice to submission by Werdum and Arona, two world class grapplers.

Old
12-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Oilerdiehard

Remember earlier I mentioned the Prelim fights on Saturday will be on ION television instead of Spike. Well check out this link:

http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-125-video-d...ion-television

I find a few things about this strange and does it point to a strained relationship with Spike at all?

I say this as when the WEC merger press conference was on. White in response to questions from media about criticism that there would be less overall fight events and events on tv. He said I can pick up the phone any time I want and put a new show on Spike tv any time I want. Then this ION thing comes up with very short notice (as in days) before the broadcast.

Then in this video link he mentions there is a gap on Spike and no prelims. Then when questioned further he seems to hint that Spike turned these Prelims down and were offered it.

To make things even more weird on my dvr guide it has Spike running UFC programming (an hour long special on the greatest submission in UFC history) in the same time slot against the Prelims on ION television.

I mean I am just happy to get the prelims at all. But despite White saying there is nothing up. It all seems a tad weird to me. Maybe Spike is trying to get their next deal sweetened or something and the UFC is hard balling them a bit? Total speculation on my part. Maybe White is correct that too much is being read into this?

Old
12-31-2010, 12:13 PM
twisted by dezign

Overeem absolutely destroyed Duffee in a mere 19 seconds.

Old
12-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Mizral

I haven't watched all of Dynamite yet but so far the highlite of the night has to be the ending to the Aoki fight. Overeem on the other hand is the best heavyweight in the world right now. After the fight (about 4:37 in the video above) you could tell Duffee was just amazed with how good Alistair was and after the match you could see him tell him so. I don't know what Overeem said back to him but it looked like 'You were the only one who was filling to face me tonight'.

Old
12-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral View Post
I haven't watched all of Dynamite yet but so far the highlite of the night has to be the ending to the Aoki fight. Overeem on the other hand is the best heavyweight in the world right now. After the fight (about 4:37 in the video above) you could tell Duffee was just amazed with how good Alistair was and after the match you could see him tell him so. I don't know what Overeem said back to him but it looked like 'You were the only one who was filling to face me tonight'.
Overeem is not the best HW in the world. How does beating cans like James Thompson, Fujita, Goodridge, Duffee mean absolutely anything? He's only beaten 1 top 10 fighter in his last 10 fights (Rogers).

Velasquez and Lesnar are both unquestionably ranked higher. Arguably Big Nog, Junior Dos Santos, Fedor, Fabricio Werdum as well.

Overeem seems content to fight K-1 and endless meaningless MMA fights in Japan. He can't ever be number 1 unless he's in the UFC, based on the location of the current heavyweights.

Look at what happened to Fedor.... Dominates in Pride, then gets subbed by a guy that more or less flunked out of the UFC (Werdum). Beating Duffee means nothing, Overeem is not the best HW.

Old
12-31-2010, 04:35 PM
twisted by dezign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
Overeem is not the best HW in the world. How does beating cans like James Thompson, Fujita, Goodridge, Duffee mean absolutely anything? He's only beaten 1 top 10 fighter in his last 10 fights (Rogers).

Velasquez and Lesnar are both unquestionably ranked higher. Arguably Big Nog, Junior Dos Santos, Fedor, Fabricio Werdum as well.

Overeem seems content to fight K-1 and endless meaningless MMA fights in Japan. He can't ever be number 1 unless he's in the UFC, based on the location of the current heavyweights.

Look at what happened to Fedor.... Dominates in Pride, then gets subbed by a guy that more or less flunked out of the UFC (Werdum). Beating Duffee means nothing, Overeem is not the best HW.
UFC has some awesome fighters but you sound like a UFC fanboy.

You discredit Werdrum too much. He is the best submission artist in the HW division. There is no shame in getting submitted by Werdum.

Lesnar can take a punch in terms of not getting KOed/TKOed right off the bat and has excellent wrestling but he doesn't have much MMA experience compared to many other fighters. He also loses his composure when he gets hit - yes, most of us would too getting hit by heavyweights but he honestly looks scared of taking punches. How would this help against a man like Overeem who has the ability to destroy fighters with iron chins (Fujita, anyone?) with K-1 level striking?

I say Overeem can battle it out with the best of them. Sure, I would love to see him in the UFC to see how he fares against the HWs there. You can't deny that Overeem is the best heavyweight striker in MMA and has improved exponentially since his foray into the HW division. Sure, Duffee may not be an elite fighter but I don't see anybody in the UFC taking him out in 19 seconds. If Duffee won everybody would be exclaiming how amazing Duffee is but since Overeem won everybody thinks that Duffee is a can.

Old
12-31-2010, 08:04 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:

You discredit Werdrum too much. He is the best submission artist in the HW division. There is no shame in getting submitted by Werdum.

Lesnar can take a punch in terms of not getting KOed/TKOed right off the bat and has excellent wrestling but he doesn't have much MMA experience compared to many other fighters. He also loses his composure when he gets hit - yes, most of us would too getting hit by heavyweights but he honestly looks scared of taking punches. How would this help against a man like Overeem who has the ability to destroy fighters with iron chins (Fujita, anyone?) with K-1 level striking?

I say Overeem can battle it out with the best of them. Sure, I would love to see him in the UFC to see how he fares against the HWs there. You can't deny that Overeem is the best heavyweight striker in MMA and has improved exponentially since his foray into the HW division. Sure, Duffee may not be an elite fighter but I don't see anybody in the UFC taking him out in 19 seconds. If Duffee won everybody would be exclaiming how amazing Duffee is but since Overeem won everybody thinks that Duffee is a can.
The problem with ranking a guy like Overeem is that he spends as much, if not more time these days as a K1 fighter. I really like overeem and I think if he DID fight in the the UFC, he'd be top-5 easily in the HW division right off the bat with the strongest chance of becoming a long-term HW champion.

The issue is that he clearly loves K1 too much to sign with the UFC, which would NOT WANT HIM TO FIGHT K1. I'd love it if they could work something out to let him do both, because I don't think it'd be that hard to pull off, but Strikeforce just doesn't have the people to fight overeem to let himself prove he's as good as everyone thinks he is.

Old
12-31-2010, 08:45 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Overeem is a roid freak.

I guarantee it.

They dont test in Japan, which is why he spends so much time fighting over there.

Look at his head.

Old
12-31-2010, 09:23 PM
necrobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Overeem is a roid freak.

I guarantee it.

They dont test in Japan, which is why he spends so much time fighting over there.

Look at his head.
Diet and exercise are great things to make you that big as well...
He fought in the states last may and hasn't tested positive for HGH or any illegal substances. Overeem also has had a very clear complexion which makes me believe he isn't juicing(as it was easily noticeable on Sonnen and Barnett).

Old
12-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Oilerdiehard

I am no expert but I have my doubts Overeem is juicing. As mentioned he did fight in the States recently.

At any rate Overeem is a beast of a fighter IMO. He is very well rounded, powerful and pretty quick and agile for a man his size.

Old
12-31-2010, 09:52 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I am no expert but I have my doubts Overeem is juicing. As mentioned he did fight in the States recently.

At any rate Overeem is a beast of a fighter IMO. He is very well rounded, powerful and pretty quick and agile for a man his size.

I personally think he's just one of those guys that is a natural heavyweight.

I read some stories about him having a hell of a time fighting at 205.

Old
01-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Nic

Quote:

Actually, I'm not a UFC fanboy, I've been watching MMA back when UFC 1 was on VHS, I can assure you that I know more then you will ever know about the sport.

You're talking about potential and not results. I think Duffee is a can based on getting one punched by a grapplier. Let's be honest, if Mike Russow can knock you out like that, so can everybody else in the heavyweight division.

As for Werdum, I'm not discrediting him. Go watch his fights against Kharitonov and Arlovski. He can't take you down, he can't win. Fedor was stupid for letting it get to the ground, it is very well established that if you can sprawl and brawl with Werdum, you will win.

Fujita hasn't won since 2008, and he got KO'd by Travis Wiuff. Iron chin, he's barely better then Cabbage.

You may not remember this, but it wasn't too long ago that Overeem was gassing in the first round against every fighter he couldn't overwhelm. He moved up from a tougher division to one with less depth. There are definately more quality light heavyweights then there are heavyweights, I mean look at Tim Sylvia, AA, and guys like Paul Buentello and Justin Eilers getting title shots.

Anyways, I can assure you that nobody with real knowledge of the sport (see MMAweekly, Sherdog top 10's, etc) would agree that Overeem is the best HW, your comment was incorrect, get over it fanboy.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:15 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
Actually, I'm not a UFC fanboy, I've been watching MMA back when UFC 1 was on VHS, I can assure you that I know more then you will ever know about the sport.

You're talking about potential and not results. I think Duffee is a can based on getting one punched by a grapplier. Let's be honest, if Mike Russow can knock you out like that, so can everybody else in the heavyweight division.

As for Werdum, I'm not discrediting him. Go watch his fights against Kharitonov and Arlovski. He can't take you down, he can't win. Fedor was stupid for letting it get to the ground, it is very well established that if you can sprawl and brawl with Werdum, you will win.

Fujita hasn't won since 2008, and he got KO'd by Travis Wiuff. Iron chin, he's barely better then Cabbage.

You may not remember this, but it wasn't too long ago that Overeem was gassing in the first round against every fighter he couldn't overwhelm. He moved up from a tougher division to one with less depth. There are definately more quality light heavyweights then there are heavyweights, I mean look at Tim Sylvia, AA, and guys like Paul Buentello and Justin Eilers getting title shots.

Anyways, I can assure you that nobody with real knowledge of the sport (see MMAweekly, Sherdog top 10's, etc) would agree that Overeem is the best HW, your comment was incorrect, get over it fanboy.
Watching is different than actually doing

Overeem moved up because he is a natural heavyweight. Cutting was a ***** for him so he stuck with his natural weight. Why does Overeem fight in Japan instead of UFC? UFC allots a max of 3 [generally] fights per year. Unless his first contract is Lesnar value, he can make more fighting all year round.

I used to doubt Overeem. Having seen his approach-he can give most UFC HWs a run based on his fundamentals. The only HW in MMA that may potentially get him is Fedor but that's only if Fedor can either tag him or keep him on the ground.

Pfft just because you watched it for a long time doesn't mean you know better and can call people fanboys.

Old
01-01-2011, 01:56 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral View Post
Overeem has a lot to prove in the MMA world. This is a guy with 11 MMA losses over all, and only one borderline top 10 victory in MMA over the last few years. Does he have the tools to be the best? Absolutely, but he has to prove himself in actual MMA fights against real MMA competition.

Old
01-01-2011, 02:02 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrobot View Post
He fought in the states last may and hasn't tested positive for HGH or any illegal substances. Overeem also has had a very clear complexion which makes me believe he isn't juicing(as it was easily noticeable on Sonnen and Barnett).
Why have blood testing when you can just look at someone's skin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the liquor

Overeem is a roid freak.

I guarantee it.

Look at his head.
Steroid testing in U.S. MMA is a joke, barely better than Japan. No random tests and no blood tests? Only dumbasses get caught. I wouldn't be surprised if most MMA fighters are on steroids. Duffee actually was cleared to use TRT by the Nevada commission.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

I detest Thiago Silva. Slapping Brandon Vera. Over and over. Vera with a broken orbital and now a crooked nose. That guy seriously has to put some meat on. He is weak. Silva owned him. But was classless and pathetic in doing it.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrobot View Post
It's not detectable for the fact that he grew to that size overseas. Not while he fought in N.A. I've been around enough of the substance to know that you don't grow to a completely different muscular structure without the influence genetically altering substances. Or performance enhancing drugs of the uncontrolled variety.

Old
01-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Cam98

thats no draw imo.

Old
01-01-2011, 11:58 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
thats no draw imo.

Other than getting thrashed in the 1st, I thought Edgar won 3 rounds.

Old
01-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
Other than getting thrashed in the 1st, I thought Edgar won 3 rounds.
Edgar dominated outside of the 1st. He looked like a rabbit out there. Some exciting slams. Maynard did not push the pace like he seemed to think. Frankie was really impressive.

Old
01-02-2011, 12:14 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Edgar dominated outside of the 1st. He looked like a rabbit out there. Some exciting slams. Maynard did not push the pace like he seemed to think. Frankie was really impressive.

I really am okay with the fact that it was ruled a draw...but...I really thought that frankie did enough. But, if that 1st round got a 10-8 score, then even 3 clear winning rounds is often not enough.

It makes for great dramatics when they fight again, I suspect that, even though I think they'll unite the WEC and UFC titles before a rematch, there's still a strong possibility of the rubber match taking priority. If both guys are able to get their injury suspensions overturned quickly, perhaps as early as UFC 129?

Old
01-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I really am okay with the fact that it was ruled a draw...but...I really thought that frankie did enough. But, if that 1st round got a 10-8 score, then even 3 clear winning rounds is often not enough.

It makes for great dramatics when they fight again, I suspect that, even though I think they'll unite the WEC and UFC titles before a rematch, there's still a strong possibility of the rubber match taking priority. If both guys are able to get their injury suspensions overturned quickly, perhaps as early as UFC 129?
I agree fully. A rematch has to be the priority. I'm sure Dana will determine that in the post-fight interviews. Pettis is really getting hyped. I think the longer the wait the higher the audience they will draw in anticipation. But there has to be a clear UFC champ first I believe.

Old
01-02-2011, 12:29 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
I agree fully. A rematch has to be the priority. I'm sure Dana will determine that in the post-fight interviews. Pettis is really getting hyped. I think the longer the wait the higher the audience they will draw in anticipation. But there has to be a clear UFC champ first I believe.

That's the awkward situation Joe Silva and Dana White have themselves in...do they let the rubber match go forward because there is clearly unfinished business (and therefore no clear/undisputed UFC champion at this time) or do the unite the belts first?

Like I said, I'd love to see them get the rubber match over with quickly, as early as April, but that might be far too soon for proper camps. 130 or 131 though I wouldn't be totally shocked if they managed to work it in as a potential double-bill.

Old
01-02-2011, 01:17 AM
twisted by dezign

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Watching is different than actually doing

Overeem moved up because he is a natural heavyweight. Cutting was a ***** for him so he stuck with his natural weight. Why does Overeem fight in Japan instead of UFC? UFC allots a max of 3 [generally] fights per year. Unless his first contract is Lesnar value, he can make more fighting all year round.

I used to doubt Overeem. Having seen his approach-he can give most UFC HWs a run based on his fundamentals. The only HW in MMA that may potentially get him is Fedor but that's only if Fedor can either tag him or keep him on the ground.

Pfft just because you watched it for a long time doesn't mean you know better and can call people fanboys.
This. I've watched UFC ever since UFC 1 too and am an avid MMA (not just UFC) fan but I don't go around stating that I know better than people.

Old
01-02-2011, 01:22 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
I detest Thiago Silva. Slapping Brandon Vera. Over and over. Vera with a broken orbital and now a crooked nose. That guy seriously has to put some meat on. He is weak. Silva owned him. But was classless and pathetic in doing it.
Its hard to feel sorry for Vera. I cant remember what it was, but he (Vera) did something disrespectful before that. So he gets what he gets. I dont like to see people get hurt though.

Vera hasnt been the same since he was a heavyweight. He actually used to be exciting in those days. He hasnt had a good fight in at least two or three years. I hope he gets cut.

Closed Thread