HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2011, 02:52 AM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
I detest Thiago Silva. Slapping Brandon Vera. Over and over. Vera with a broken orbital and now a crooked nose. That guy seriously has to put some meat on. He is weak. Silva owned him. But was classless and pathetic in doing it.
The thing about it is those palm strikes (not the drum beat on the back) probably hurt an awful lot. Still a lot of power behind that kind of a punch even if it looks like a slap.

I thought draw was the right call for the main event.

10-8 very clearly the first round Maynord
10-9 Edgar round 2
10-9 Maynord round 3
10-9 Edgar round 4
10-9 Edgar round 5

But holy hell what heart and detrimination from Edgar to come back in the 2nd and on rounds after being absolutely knocked silly in the 1st round. He was on the verge of being KO'd about 6 times it seemed in that first round. Even when it looked like he was composing himself he looked completely out of it on his feet. What a great recovery in between rounds.

Old
01-02-2011, 03:37 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The thing about it is those palm strikes (not the drum beat on the back) probably hurt an awful lot. Still a lot of power behind that kind of a punch even if it looks like a slap.

I thought draw was the right call for the main event.

10-8 very clearly the first round Maynord
10-9 Edgar round 2
10-9 Maynord round 3
10-9 Edgar round 4
10-9 Edgar round 5

But holy hell what heart and detrimination from Edgar to come back in the 2nd and on rounds after being absolutely knocked silly in the 1st round. He was on the verge of being KO'd about 6 times it seemed in that first round. Even when it looked like he was composing himself he looked completely out of it on his feet. What a great recovery in between rounds.
He was intentionally slapping him to humiliate and demean him. It was all part of a show. He was goading him from the end of the 1st. Painful I'm sure but they were more of a slapping technique than a palm strike. Fairly pointless when his objective was to finish him at that stage.

Yeah I was really impressed by Edgar's heart and willpower. Stann laid a serious licken on Leben. He invited it and got the worst of the exchanges for once.

Old
01-02-2011, 04:49 AM
Spawn

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21941/rand...in-toronto.mma

Possibility of Randy vs Machida in Toronto? Wow... gotta give Couture some credit for facing Machida, but holy cow that is a tough match up for him.

Old
01-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
http://mmajunkie.com/news/21941/rand...in-toronto.mma

Possibility of Randy vs Machida in Toronto? Wow... gotta give Couture some credit for facing Machida, but holy cow that is a tough match up for him.
It's confirmed. I'm shocked. Machida will have his hands full that is for sure. It was almost a given that Randy wouldn't full retire after his last announcement. He's turning into the Brett Favre of UFC.

Old
01-02-2011, 07:54 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
It's confirmed. I'm shocked. Machida will have his hands full that is for sure. It was almost a given that Randy wouldn't full retire after his last announcement. He's turning into the Brett Favre of UFC.
Randy will get his ass handed to him.

We can make a little wager if you like.

Old
01-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Machida will likely win, but I don't think it's as sure fire as you make it seem.

The guy can still keep pretty much anyone up against the cage. Hell, he was able to keep Lesnar pressed up against the cage for a round+ before getting clipped in the back of the head.

Old
01-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:

Being the Brett Favre of the UFC he doesn't know when to hang it up. Machida will dominate him. I think Randy's relentless pressure will require a lot of preparation. At the same time just because Randy isn't easy he is a big underdog here. Machida is an assassin and just because of his last two losses doesn't mean that he isn't the same fighter that went 16-0 with an exclamation mark. I won't bet against him nevermind bet on Randy to beat him. Randy is still a threat on the scoreboard. But I see Machida giving him to the same tactful precision in striking that Liddell did. Never count Randy out.

Old
01-02-2011, 08:16 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Machida will likely win, but I don't think it's as sure fire as you make it seem.

The guy can still keep pretty much anyone up against the cage. Hell, he was able to keep Lesnar pressed up against the cage for a round+ before getting clipped in the back of the head.
Not sure if Randy will be able to catch Machida.

Quote:
Being the Brett Favre of the UFC he doesn't know when to hang it up. Machida will dominate him. I think Randy's relentless pressure will require a lot of preparation. At the same time just because Randy isn't easy he is a big underdog here. Machida is an assassin and just because of his last two losses doesn't mean that he isn't the same fighter that went 16-0 with an exclamation mark. I won't bet against him nevermind bet on Randy to beat him. Randy is still a threat on the scoreboard. But I see Machida giving him to the same tactful precision in striking that Liddell did. Never count Randy out.
Machida got KO'd pretty badly. Its not easy to recover from that. Some fighters never do. I think this is Randy doing a favour for Dana. If Machida loses, look for him to be cut from the UFC. I dont think they appreciate his "elusive" style. Machida has everything to lose and nothing to gain from this fight imo.

Old
01-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Spawn

Quote:
I don't either, but I feel that he shouldn't be counted out. I definitely wouldn't be betting on Randy, but to be completely honest I wouldn't be shocked if Randy won a decision over Machida.

Old
01-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:

Machida got KO'd pretty badly. Its not easy to recover from that. Some fighters never do. I think this is Randy doing a favour for Dana. If Machida loses, look for him to be cut from the UFC. I dont think they appreciate his "elusive" style. Machida has everything to lose and nothing to gain from this fight imo.
His style is growing tiresome with impatient spectators. I am every bit a fan of a style that succeeds. He is a counter-striker. He makes aggressive opponents pay. At least he did up until the KO Rua handed him. You're right in saying he lost something when he got knocked out. I don't see this holding a fighter of such an elite level of discipline and focus. He is floating right now that his invisible force-field of invincibility has been broken. I think Randy wants to win and believes he actually can. He's a fierce competitor that takes these types of challenges with pride and the idea that he can win. I don't see it being a favour as much as he can't quit and wants to win. It's his lifelong passion. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Quote:
I don't either, but I feel that he shouldn't be counted out. I definitely wouldn't be betting on Randy, but to be completely honest I wouldn't be shocked if Randy won a decision over Machida.
No fighter should ever be counted out. Otherwise it would never be interesting. But there are cases such as this that we can almost see the probable outcome. Not a punchers chance in this case but a grinders hope in winning on the cards. He will have difficulty getting a hold of Machida. Or even pinning him for that matter. I see it ending Couture's career by TKO.

Old
01-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Ghostbuster

Yikes.

I like Couture, but the dude needs to stop. I don't need to see 15 minutes of him hugging up against the fence. But then again he could very likely get KTFO in the first 30 seconds for being overly aggressive.

I haven't been following UFC as much over the last year or so because every card seems weak, but I'm stoked for 126, Jones vs. Bader. Jones is awesome.

Old
01-03-2011, 06:48 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
thats no draw imo.
Fighmetric had it a draw as well, as did the Sherdog judges. It was a fair result.

Old
01-03-2011, 06:59 AM
The Rage

Quote:

For whatever reason, it was reported after the twitter "retirement" that Randy was willing to only do one of two fights--a title fight (fat chance) or a fight against Machida. I have no idea why he wants to fight Machida so badly, maybe he feels that he has his style figured out. Great fight for Machida to get an easy win over a big name, imo. The Machida era will rise again!

Old
01-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Oilerdiehard

Strikeforce announces Heavyweight Tourney:

Quote:
Expected Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix quarterfinal match-ups:

-Fedor Emelianenko vs. Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva
-Andrei Arlovski vs. Sergei Kharitonov
-Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum
-Josh Barnett vs. Brett Rogers

The first two match-ups pitting Fedor vs. Silva and Arlovski vs. Kharitonov will take place on Feb. 12 at the IZOD Center in New Jersey. The other two pairings – Overeem vs. Werdum and Barnett vs. Rogers – do not yet have a definitive date or location despite Strikeforce’s plans to hold an event March 5 in Columbus, Ohio.
I am looking forward to this should be some interesting fights and I like the tournament set up. Been waiting for Kharitonov to make his Strikeforce debut. Not mentioned above but obviously Fedor has a new deal in place with Strikeforce.

Mauro Ranallo also just tweeted these items on the tournament:

mauroranallo
Strikeforce has confirmed that Alistair Overeem will be defending the Heavyweight title against Fabricio Werdum as part of the tournament.

mauroranallo
Strikeforce has confirmed ESPN report Shane Del Rosario will meet Lavar Johnson in a Heavyweight tournament reserve bout on February 12.

mauroranallo
Strikeforce confirms the Heavyweight title will be defended throughout the tournament.Title tilts will be 5 rounds, other bouts 3 rounds.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 01-05-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old
01-05-2011, 11:34 AM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Strikeforce announces Heavyweight Tourney:

I am looking forward to this should be some interesting fights and I like the tournament set up. Been waiting for Kharitonov to make his Strikeforce debut. Not mentioned above but obviously Fedor has a new deal in place with Strikeforce.

Mauro Ranallo also just tweeted these items on the tournament:

mauroranallo
Strikeforce has confirmed that Alistair Overeem will be defending the Heavyweight title against Fabricio Werdum as part of the tournament.

mauroranallo
Strikeforce has confirmed ESPN report Shane Del Rosario will meet Lavar Johnson in a Heavyweight tournament reserve bout on February 12.

mauroranallo
Strikeforce confirms the Heavyweight title will be defended throughout the tournament.Title tilts will be 5 rounds, other bouts 3 rounds.
That is great news if it pans out. Although Overeem and Werdum are arguably the top two seeds, so it's a bit strange that they'd fight in the first round.

Old
01-05-2011, 01:06 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
That is great news if it pans out. Although Overeem and Werdum are arguably the top two seeds, so it's a bit strange that they'd fight in the first round.
My understanding is is that overeem is defending his belt at every stage of the tourney (as long as he wins of course) so that the tourney winner is also the strikeforce champ. I was reading on another site that they want all the matches to be 5 round fights to be fair for everyone, but they needed clearance because the rules are pretty clear that only championship bouts are 5 rounds.

This tournament is a very bold and very risky move for strikeforce. They probably have a heavyweight division that is competitive with the ufc's. Having a grand prix style format with their top 8 heavyweights could steal some of the ufc's considerable spotlight. On that note, I really wish I had access to strikeforce's broadcasts, particularly to watch this tournament.

2011 is a great year for mma fans regardless.

Old
01-06-2011, 12:07 AM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
Its hard to feel sorry for Vera. I cant remember what it was, but he (Vera) did something disrespectful before that. So he gets what he gets. I dont like to see people get hurt though.

Vera hasnt been the same since he was a heavyweight. He actually used to be exciting in those days. He hasnt had a good fight in at least two or three years. I hope he gets cut.
I gotta agree with this, Vera is actually a pretty good **** talker... Not to mention it was no more "disrespectful" than Couture spanking Tito. I am super pumped for the Strikeforce tourney... I am hoping to see two fights I've been waiting for, for years, Overeem/Fedor, and hopefully Fedor/Kharitonov.... But Overeem better not look past Werdum as he already has a W over him... As for Overeem and steroids, until it is proven that he has done it, I believe him... Realistically he has only gained about 30lbs of muscle over the past 4 years... If you are gonna base guys taking steroids on their body, many people will be surpised to know Barnett has been busted 3 times.

Old
01-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
I made a similar post on the MMA board (on page 2) in regards to the brackets. someone made an interesting post potentially explaining this.

Overeem vs Werdum is Champ vs #1 contender
Fedor vs Big Foot is to determine the next #1 contender

So when those fights play out then you've got the Champ vs the #1 Contender again.

And on the other side of the bracket you've got the guys fighting out to determine who will be the #2 contender and the eventual winner for that side will rightfully fight for the belt (after the #1 contenders have been dealt with).

Old
01-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Oilerdiehard

Another thing that will be interesting about the February 12th Strikeforce event is that the entire card is all heavyweight fights.

Has that ever been done before?

Also as I mentioned previous there is a reserve bout between Shane Del Rosario and Lavar Johnson.

Now they have now added a second reserve fight.

It will be Alistair Overeem's brother Valentijn against K-1 fighter Ray Sefo.

Edit - Brandon Vera released from the UFC.

http://mmaweekly.com/brandon-vera-re...o-thiago-silva

I still remember Vera making his debut on one of the first Fight Nights. He was proclaiming something to the effect before even having his first UFC fight that he would be the champ in two different weight classes in the UFC. If I recall correctly he said within two years or something like that it would happen. Things do not always go to plan I guess.

I wonder if he lands in Strikeforce or somewhere? Maybe he tries the whole independent thing like Keith Jardine and figure he will fight his way back into the UFC. Then loses his first fight after that.

Edit #2 - Marcus "The Irish Handgrenade" Davis has also been released by the UFC.

I guess he will no longer be on every English/Irish UFC card any longer. My memory says he won a few fight of the night honours in his time. Also be interesting to see where he turns up as well.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 01-06-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old
01-06-2011, 11:15 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
For whatever reason, it was reported after the twitter "retirement" that Randy was willing to only do one of two fights--a title fight (fat chance) or a fight against Machida. I have no idea why he wants to fight Machida so badly, maybe he feels that he has his style figured out. Great fight for Machida to get an easy win over a big name, imo. The Machida era will rise again!
My only guess is that Randy wants to beat Machida worse than Machida has ever been beat. I think like you say he knows his style and really wants to expose him.

Randy has talked about only taking intriguing fights, so it really has to be that. Doesn't it?

Old
01-06-2011, 12:45 PM
twisted by dezign

I really hope this Strikeforce HW tournament takes off. I'm a huge fan of the Grand Prix format in the Asian MMA promotions. I especially would like to see Alistair Overeem and Fedor Emelianenko fight.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:11 AM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
I made a similar post on the MMA board (on page 2) in regards to the brackets. someone made an interesting post potentially explaining this.

Overeem vs Werdum is Champ vs #1 contender
Fedor vs Big Foot is to determine the next #1 contender

So when those fights play out then you've got the Champ vs the #1 Contender again.

And on the other side of the bracket you've got the guys fighting out to determine who will be the #2 contender and the eventual winner for that side will rightfully fight for the belt (after the #1 contenders have been dealt with).
I agree, there are always upsets that happen in Tournaments, the finals never work out with what they want. So this way, You can possibly see a Fedor/Overeem matchup, or Fedor/Werdum rematch in the 2nd round, with a possibility of a Fedor/Kharitonov or Fedor/Barnett matchup in the finals, mind you none of that happens if Big Foot beats Fedor...But I love this tournament.

Old
01-07-2011, 02:43 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Couture will defeat Machida.

next question.

Old
01-07-2011, 01:05 PM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Couture will defeat Machida.

next question.
I just do not see how, Machida feasts on slow wrestlers with little striking ability. Outside of Shogun, there are few guys that can beat Machida in my opinion (Rampage fight was razor thin)

Old
01-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Oilerdiehard

A few comments and news notes.

For me my cable company took HDNet out of a small and mostly lame group of HD pay channels package (HDNet was the only channel in it I liked) and put it into the mid-level package I have (which already has plenty of excellent HD channels included). So my tv mma level just rose a nice notch. Happy about that.

Secondly as usual I thought the Strikeforce Challengers show was good and entertaining. Love Joe Rogan, but IMO the announcing team of Stephen Quadros, Maura Ranallo and Pat Militich is easily the best out there.

Some News items:

http://mmaweekly.com/alistair-overee...ght-grand-prix

- There were some questions on by some on why Overeem is included in the awesome (IMO ) upcoming Heavyweight Tourney. The reason is Alistair Overeem as soon as he found out about it wanted in the tournament with his belt on the line and wanted to start off by fighting Werdum to avenge his loss to him in the past. So I am guessing he hopes to fight Kharitonov in this tourney as he is the last person to beat Alistair I believe. Kharitonov also holds a win over Fabricio Werdum.

- Strikeforce is working with Athletic commissions to make every fight in the heavyweight tournament 5 rounds. Not just the title fights as is the usual policy.

- UFC fighter Pat Berry recently said he thinks Overeem is unstoppable.

Quote:
“The dude is a monster. That’s what I think,” he said. “Not only is he humongous, (but) he’s extremely experienced. That’s what makes him the most dangerous. Not just the size, but he has so much experience in MMA and in kickboxing, and he’s a Dutch trained kickboxer. I was in Amsterdam for five years. I know what the Dutch train like out there. The dude is a monster. I don’t know how anyone is going to stop him any time soon.

“He doesn’t seem to get tired. All he needs to do is hit you one time. He’s fast, he’s athletic, and he’s strong as hell. He’s everything you need all in one body.”
- Brock Lesnar and Junior Dos Santos Named Coaches for The Ultimate Fighter 13

- Strikeforce January 29th card tv line up:
Nick Diaz vs. Evangelista Cyborg for Welterweight Title
Jacare Souza vs. “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler for Middleweight Title
Roger Gracie vs. Trevor Prangley
Hershel Walker vs. Scott Carson

- Joe "Diesel" Riggs signs with Bellator. I am a fan of his, was a little disappointed Strikeforce let him go. But I am happy he landed somewhere where I will be able to easily watch his fights.

- Local Alberta boy Jason MacDonald has been added to UFC 129. He will face Ryan Jensen.

- New announcement that Leonard Garcia vs. Nam Phan 2 slated for UFC Fight Night 24 March 26th.

- Shane Carwin will fight on UFC 131 and his opponent may be Roy "Big Country" Nelson.

- Mark Hominick Will Face Jose Aldo at UFC 129 If He Wins at UFC Fight for the Troops.

- Fights slated for the MFC 28 show in Edmonton Feb. 25 at River Cree Resort & Casino:
Ryan Jimmo vs. Dwayne Lewis for the heavyweight title, Tyrone Glover vs. Robert Washington, Kajan Johnson vs. Richie Whitson, Razak Al-Hassan vs. Rodney Wallace, Thomas Denny vs. Sheldon Westcott, and one more bout still to be announced.

Closed Thread