HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Winter Classic 2012

Old
01-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Mgkibbles

vCash: 500
I'd be surprised if the Eagles opened up their stadium for a team they view as competition. I've heard from numerous people that the Sixers, Flyers, and Phillies all have a great relationship with each other, but the Eagles have a good relationship with none of those teams, especially the Phillies.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:36 AM
2fast4u2*

I have already gotten sick of this "winter classic" BS.Just wait and watch,Bettman is gonna make the Flyers play against the Pens LOL....just so that Sidney is in it AGAIN.

2fast4u2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
If it is here, there is only one team under consideration as the opponent, and that is the New York Rangers. In fact, whoever hosts it next year is going to get the Rangers. They're not going to have 5 of these and leave New York completely shut out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I'd be surprised if the Eagles opened up their stadium for a team they view as competition. I've heard from numerous people that the Sixers, Flyers, and Phillies all have a great relationship with each other, but the Eagles have a good relationship with none of those teams, especially the Phillies.
That's the other thing. To Jeff Lurie and the Eagles, there is only one professional sports team in this town. Don't think that the fact the Phillies beat them to a Championship and grew a fan base overnight hasn't kept some of those guys up at night.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:20 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 597
If the Flyers host a game, the natural opponent would be the Rangers. History. Familiarity. Rivalry. Big Markets. The question becomes does this decrease or eliminate the Rangers as the next potential host since having them in consecutive years could be unlikely.

A substantial purpose of this event was to promote the game in a unique way. It isn't to placate all thirty teams with an equal opportunity to play. It is not dissimilar to host cities in All-Star Games in all sports. Some teams have hosted that event a second time before another gets one chance and there are reasons, past and present, for that.

Minnesota or Colorado would be a good choice based on geography but not without drawbacks. Do you schedule an Eastern team and how does the unbalanced nature of the scheduling format play into an East-West game? Since the Rangers have yet to appear in one of these games and if New York has a feasible option for a facility, a matchup against an Original Six rival (probably a U.S. team Boston, Chicago, Detroit) would be attractive, too.

There is always the unknown candidate which may seem like a risky proposition today. A team such as Atlanta (as the visiting team) could be appealing if the Thrashers have playoff success in the immediate future. The question with some markets, however, becomes timing. Does the NHL have a 10:00 a.m. start on the west coast? And in some markets, a possibility exists that the hockey game could be scheduled opposite a major Bowl Game (Columbus and Ohio State on at the same time? Los Angeles and USC?) Each market is different in that capacity, too.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-02-2011 at 09:30 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

That's the other thing: this thing is NBC's show, not the NHL. NBC proved that last year when they demanded the Flyers get into Fenway over the Capitals. You'll never see the Panthers or Predators playing in this. The Wild also want to host it, but they've been told no.

Old
01-02-2011, 09:28 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That's the other thing: this thing is NBC's show, not the NHL. NBC proved that last year when they demanded the Flyers get into Fenway over the Capitals. You'll never see the Panthers or Predators playing in this. The Wild also want to host it, but they've been told no.
The big unknown in all of this, is if ESPN does end up getting Hockey back. I know they love their bowl games, so it probably won't really be an issue, but they've got some huge leverage if they wanted to take this thing over and change some things up.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:38 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
The big unknown in all of this, is if ESPN does end up getting Hockey back. I know they love their bowl games, so it probably won't really be an issue, but they've got some huge leverage if they wanted to take this thing over and change some things up.
ESPN may get it back, but they're going to stay on NBC as well just like they were going to before the lockout.

Old
01-02-2011, 09:44 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I was talking about this with a co-worker last week about the potential Rangers-Devils talks from months ago. Apparently in NYC Yankee Stadium is out due to the Pinstripe Bowl for college football. This would really leave open two options on their end...Citi Field or the New Meadowlands Stadium (technically NJ). Citi Field sucks so I can't see it going there, pain to get to too (so is Yankee Stadium but it's YANKEE STADIUM). New Meadowlands would have to coordinate with the NFL as the Jets/Giants generally alternate weekends, but this can be fixed by having a home game on the same weekend, do a Thursday/Sunday matchup, as they can change the stadium around in a day.

Honestly I go onto this topic because I think NYC and the Rags will be the next team to get one. If not, they should. Of the 4 American original six they're the only one who hasn't played one yet.

I'd like to see the Flyers hold off for a few years and do a Pitt-Flyers matchup (which, let's not argue, Pitt will likely get another one soon), but I'm fine with playing the Rags too. I think NYC would be more likely than the Linc.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The NHL wants to keep it in football stadiums because it's set up better. Baseball has a unique stadium set-up, the only reason they went to Fenway and Wrigley was because of the history involved.

Old
01-02-2011, 09:51 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
If the Flyers host a game, the natural opponent would be the Rangers. History. Familiarity. Rivalry. Big Markets. The question becomes does this decrease or eliminate the Rangers as the next potential host since having them in consecutive years could be unlikely.

A substantial purpose of this event was to promote the game in a unique way. It isn't to placate all thirty teams with an equal opportunity to play. It is not dissimilar to host cities in All-Star Games in all sports. Some teams have hosted that event a second time before another gets one chance and there are reasons, past and present, for that.

Minnesota or Colorado would be a good choice based on geography but not without drawbacks. Do you schedule an Eastern team and how does the unbalanced nature of the scheduling format play into an East-West game? Since the Rangers have yet to appear in one of these games and if New York has a feasible option for a facility, a matchup against an Original Six rival (probably a U.S. team Boston, Chicago, Detroit) would be attractive, too.

There is always the unknown candidate which may seem like a risky proposition today. A team such as Atlanta (as the visiting team) could be appealing if the Thrashers have playoff success in the immediate future. The question with some markets, however, becomes timing. Does the NHL have a 10:00 a.m. start on the west coast? And in some markets, a possibility exists that the hockey game could be scheduled opposite a major Bowl Game (Columbus and Ohio State on at the same time? Los Angeles and USC?) Each market is different in that capacity, too.
Exactly, maybe it's easy for us to say since we'll probably be in a Classic again in the near future, but it's about ratings and attention and if that means Crosby/Ovechkin play in the game every couple years, I have zero problem with that.

I mean, I doubt that 76ers have been on national TV at all for the last 5 years, but the Sixers suck and have no fanbase, so that makes sense.

Sure, in a perfect world, the Wild would be allowed to host it, but unfortunately, the Wild have a history of mediocrity and no national profile.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:54 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
The NHL wants to keep it in football stadiums because it's set up better. Baseball has a unique stadium set-up, the only reason they went to Fenway and Wrigley was because of the history involved.
My co-worker mentioned that too, which is one more reason why I think New Meadowlands will get it next.

A new stadium for two popular teams in a high density population area with the Rangers, one of the most popular teams in the league who are actually playing well.

Old
01-02-2011, 10:16 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Just scouring Kuklas site and there is an article by Larry Brooks on the subject at hand:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...WgMKtKHtxpuzSL

Quote:
And how many of these decisions will the league have to cede to the U.S. television network that gets its rights in the postseason negotiations?

All those devoted hockey fans out there who have been clamoring for the NHL to strengthen its television presence should understand this without confusion — the greater the rights fees, the greater control a network assumes over a league.

The partnership between a television network and a pro sports league is very much like the one the NHL claims to have with the NHLPA, except that the league would be the position of the union, which means limited partnership.

There are no more iconic ballparks for the NHL to winterize. Every marquee U.S. team except the Rangers already has been in the event, the Penguins now twice. If this event is about promoting attention and generating ratings, it is about big-time teams, big-name players, and big markets.

It is not about an egalitarian approach to satisfy the small markets and the southern tier. That’s what the salary cap is for.

The Lakers play on Christmas every year, and no one (other than Phil Jackson) seems to have much trouble with that, so it’s reasonable to believe the league and its network — there is an assumption that NBC will retain the rights — will ride the Penguins as often as possible. Maybe next year, Pittsburgh will play in the event for the third time in five years and face Detroit in its second appearance.

There can’t be a game at Yankee Stadium because of the Pinstripe Bowl, and there won’t be a game at Citi Field. Let’s face it, it’s just not a sexy enough venue. Beyond that, even with the bitter fallout of the Ilya Kovalchuk affair, it is difficult to imagine the NHL having the Rangers as the home team at the Meadowlands while the Devils twiddle their thumbs.

If the event is about gate receipts, it won’t be coming to New York for some time. But if it’s as much about finding the perfect backdrop for television, if it is about the setting as much as it is about marquee teams, then Central Park would be the perfect venue.

Old
01-02-2011, 10:21 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Just scouring Kuklas site and there is an article by Larry Brooks on the subject at hand:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...WgMKtKHtxpuzSL
The Devils have been in one of the most populated markets for over 20 years and still can't sell out their arena. That's their problem that the Giants/Jets play in NJ. It sucks, and I never liked them being called the New York Jets or Giants, but it's the truth, and the most ideal place for a NY location. Hell, when Live 8 came by last year and had it at the Meadowlands, it was titled "New York City." I'd stick with the Rangers...against who, not sure.

Old
01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Honestly (and from hopefully an unbiased standpoint), I'd go Rangers v. Flyers.

1) The Rangers need to get a Classic.

2) Rangers/Isles = no buzz, Devs have no fans and stink now, Pens have already been in it twice.

3) Rangers-Flyers is a legit rivalry with a lot of history, even just 8 months ago, they played that game to get into the postseason.

4) Like it or not, the Flyers are 1 of about 6 US teams with a national profile. People suggested the Kings, but with the Rose Bowl going on that day plus SC's attitude towards hockey in general, how much buzz do you think a game across the country would generate?

I mean, in my mind, it's a pretty clear choice.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:26 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
The Devils have been in one of the most populated markets for over 20 years and still can't sell out their arena. That's their problem that the Giants/Jets play in NJ. It sucks, and I never liked them being called the New York Jets or Giants, but it's the truth, and the most ideal place for a NY location. Hell, when Live 8 came by last year and had it at the Meadowlands, it was titled "New York City." I'd stick with the Rangers...against who, not sure.
If the topic is the Rangers, and removing the Flyers from the possibilities for a moment, a game against Chicago or Detroit would be attractive. The question becomes the difficulties related to the unbalanced schedule format (has Chicago made trips to NY, at the Rangers, for three straight years?) comes into the debate. Another interesting one? Los Angeles at New York but that reverts to my prior post about having the Kings play at 10:00 a.m. in the West or possibly opposite USC in a major bowl game (Rose Bowl). I assume ESPN carries the rights to future Rose Bowls as they did yesterday.

Old
01-02-2011, 10:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
My co-worker mentioned that too, which is one more reason why I think New Meadowlands will get it next.

A new stadium for two popular teams in a high density population area with the Rangers, one of the most popular teams in the league who are actually playing well.
NMS would be next on the list, problem is there is no way the Devils will let the Rangers play a home game in the state of New Jersey.

Old
01-02-2011, 10:31 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Honestly (and from hopefully an unbiased standpoint), I'd go Rangers v. Flyers.

1) The Rangers need to get a Classic.

2) Rangers/Isles = no buzz, Devs have no fans and stink now, Pens have already been in it twice.

3) Rangers-Flyers is a legit rivalry with a lot of history, even just 8 months ago, they played that game to get into the postseason.

4) Like it or not, the Flyers are 1 of about 6 US teams with a national profile. People suggested the Kings, but with the Rose Bowl going on that day plus SC's attitude towards hockey in general, how much buzz do you think a game across the country would generate?

I mean, in my mind, it's a pretty clear choice.
The Kings generate more buzz than people think in LA. They've just been bad for a number of years, and you don't generate buzz when you're bad. People thought it would happen with the Ducks, but Anaheim is not LA, and most games between the two in Anaheim many times is a split crowd.

The other problem is that next year, New Year's Day is on Sunday. Which means if the NHL wants to keep it on January 1, they're going head-to-head with the NFL. Much different than going up against the Capital One Bowl, or even the Fiesta Bowl as they did last night.

Old
01-02-2011, 10:39 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
The Kings generate more buzz than people think in LA. They've just been bad for a number of years, and you don't generate buzz when you're bad. People thought it would happen with the Ducks, but Anaheim is not LA, and most games between the two in Anaheim many times is a split crowd.

The other problem is that next year, New Year's Day is on Sunday. Which means if the NHL wants to keep it on January 1, they're going head-to-head with the NFL. Much different than going up against the Capital One Bowl, or even the Fiesta Bowl as they did last night.
I didn't watch much of the Winter Classic game last night. Was there any discussion regarding night time compared to the day games of the past? I ask because if the NHL did go opposite the NFL in 2012, granted not a suggested possibility, then maybe a move to night would be in the NHL's better interests by going head-to-head against the one schedule night game.

Old
01-02-2011, 10:48 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
I didn't watch much of the Winter Classic game last night. Was there any discussion regarding night time compared to the day games of the past? I ask because if the NHL did go opposite the NFL in 2012, granted not a suggested possibility, then maybe a move to night would be in the NHL's better interests by going head-to-head against the one schedule night game.
Unless the networks change, Sunday Night Football and the Winter Classic are on the same channel, so hard for them to go head to head.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:54 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
NMS would be next on the list, problem is there is no way the Devils will let the Rangers play a home game in the state of New Jersey.
Is there any legal move that NJ could do to stop this, or could the NHL be like "**** off" and just do it anyway?

Old
01-02-2011, 10:56 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Is there any legal move that NJ could do to stop this, or could the NHL be like "**** off" and just do it anyway?
They probably could try to get some territorial compensation, but LOL at the idea that the Devils would have the influence to stop it.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Unless the networks change, Sunday Night Football and the Winter Classic are on the same channel, so hard for them to go head to head.
Not to change the subject, but I was wondering this a week or so ago and this seems like a fitting time to ponder the question. But with New Years being on a sunday and the NFL playing that weekend, it also means that Christmas is on the sunday before, anyone have any word if the NFL is going to change its games (if there is a season ) because of that on christmas?

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:58 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
If the topic is the Rangers, and removing the Flyers from the possibilities for a moment, a game against Chicago or Detroit would be attractive. The question becomes the difficulties related to the unbalanced schedule format (has Chicago made trips to NY, at the Rangers, for three straight years?) comes into the debate. Another interesting one? Los Angeles at New York but that reverts to my prior post about having the Kings play at 10:00 a.m. in the West or possibly opposite USC in a major bowl game (Rose Bowl). I assume ESPN carries the rights to future Rose Bowls as they did yesterday.
I would be fine with LA vs. NY. It's always a big rivalry just with the cities, LA being the big city on the West Coast. I think that would be a good matchup.

Old
01-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Nuclear

I'd love to see Flyers vs Canadiens at the Linc.

Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:59 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Valid point. And even with the expiration of the NFL's CBA in March, the likelihood of that impacting the Winter Classic is probably minimal.