HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Classic 2012

Old
01-02-2011, 11:00 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
In 2005 the NFL had a heavy Saturday schedule (12/24) and just 2 Sunday (12/25) games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule/_/year/2005

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
I'd love to see Flyers vs Canadiens at the Linc.
It's not going to happen. Montreal is a zero for NBC.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:17 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Out of curiosity, I wonder if they'd go for a Flyers-Canadiens Heritage game.

I know we're not Canadian, but that's a great rivalry right now (much better than Leafs-Habs tbh) and most of Canada hates us, so it'd probably get a rating.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

I know we're not Canadian, but that's a great rivalry right now (much better than Leafs-Habs tbh) and most of Canada hates us, so it'd probably get a rating.
You could do that with a bunch of teams though, they'd probably go Bruins/Habs first if they wanted an American team.

That wouldn't happen though until they got the Leafs and Canucks outdoors first.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:21 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You could do that with a bunch of teams though, they'd probably go Bruins/Habs first if they wanted an American team.

That wouldn't happen though until they got the Leafs and Canucks outdoors first.
Yeah I forgot about that, Bruins-Habs would be great.

Old
01-02-2011, 11:26 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

I think a Leafs-Flyers matchup would be good for that. Considering 80% of the Flyers are Canadian, it would make sense to have them too.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Jester

Quote:

I doubt they will, just cuz it would cause a ruckus in Canada since they're going to be locked out of the NBC Winter Classic setup (and everyone knows it).

Old
01-02-2011, 11:41 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I doubt they will, just cuz it would cause a ruckus in Canada since they're going to be locked out of the NBC Winter Classic setup (and everyone knows it).
Yeah, just too bad because there aren't any great Canadian rivalries right now.

I do think the Heritage Classic is a nice idea though, not sure why Burnside is disparaging it. Canada deserves to have something like that and realistically, nobody in the US is going to notice, so what's the problem?

Old
01-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, just too bad because there aren't any great Canadian rivalries right now.

I do think the Heritage Classic is a nice idea though, not sure why Burnside is disparaging it. Canada deserves to have something like that and realistically, nobody in the US is going to notice, so what's the problem?
That whole comment by Burnside is completely idiotic... God knows the game will draw huge ratings in Canada.

Old
01-02-2011, 12:00 PM
FlyerGuy18

If this happens then the Winter Classic becomes a gimmick & loses all of it's uniqueness IMO. I mean if the 2012 edition is indeed in Philadelphia it would be the 5th installment. That means that only one Winter Classic has been between teams that have been in it ONCE. Penguins in 08/11 & the Flyers in 10/12. It seems that NBC really controls this decision though & that's very sad.

I wouldn't doubt that when the Capitals host one within the next 2 or 3 years if it's against the Penguins or Flyers. The Capitals really have no strong rivalries with any other team.

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Philadelphia and Denver seem like logical spots for the next two Classics, with Detroit in the mix at the Big House. I don't know if the Avs have proven to be to the next level yet like the Kings appear to be heading (which is why I can see the Avs hosting in 2013). I think whichever team from the West reaches the Cup final this season has a great chance of being in the 2013 game in some way.
So that means I'm on board with thinking Philly is getting the '12 game. Bettman told Luukko two years ago he could see the game at the Linc, and the Flyers were a finalist to host 2010 before it was awarded to Fenway Park.
The Eagles may not want to share their toys, but the NFL seems like it would be happy to force the Eagles to do so. The Classic means the Eagles are on the road that week, and maybe one other around it (the Steelers played a Thursday night home game on the 23rd, then play on the road today). After the lengths the NFL went to in an effort to get Vick and Co. out of the snow, I can see the league saying, "we'll just ship the Eagles to Dallas that week."
They couldn't play an NFL game, but Disney on Ice had no problem inviting families to travel to the WFC for their scheduled shows during the day Sunday.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:09 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That whole comment by Burnside is completely idiotic... God knows the game will draw huge ratings in Canada.
And plus, Canada provides something like 40-50% of the NHL's revenue despite having 20% of its teams, so honestly, why not give them something to get excited about?

The only (slightly) valid point was about the temperature concerns, I probably would have moved this one to eastern Canada.

Old
01-02-2011, 12:40 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

What about Minnesota? With the weather that Boston almost had last year, and the weather Pittsburgh had last night, they would be one of the few American teams that would have good ice pretty much guaranteed

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:46 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Pierre LeBrun from ESPN.com is reporting that the Flyers and Philadelphia are the early favorites to host the next Winter Classic, and the Rangers are the early favorite for an opponent. Lincoln Financial Field would be the site.

Personally I'd still like to see Flyers - Penguins/Rangers at Happy Valley (Penn St. Stadium of 110,000 seats)

or

Wild - Wings at the Big House (Michigan Stadium of 110,000...Mich v. Mich St. hockey filled the Big house last month for an outdoor college game)

Also, I agree with earlier posts that the Eagles would scoff at this opportunity, the Eagles front of is incredibly stubborn and stingy, and would struggle to come with some agreement with the teams and NBC. I don't feel like 40,000 seats in Citizen Bank Park would do our fanbase justice, hence the reason I hold out for Happy Valley.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I'd be surprised if the Eagles opened up their stadium for a team they view as competition. I've heard from numerous people that the Sixers, Flyers, and Phillies all have a great relationship with each other, but the Eagles have a good relationship with none of those teams, especially the Phillies.
doesnt the city own the stadium?

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:06 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
What about Minnesota? With the weather that Boston almost had last year, and the weather Pittsburgh had last night, they would be one of the few American teams that would have good ice pretty much guaranteed
Minnesota has geography in its favor and a Detroit or Chicago would be an attractive draw. The issue is the national appeal of the Wild. I suppose a comparison can be made to the Sabres (as a prior host and team) but would a more attractive offering be Chicago/Detroit at Minnesota or Chicago/Detroit at the Rangers or Flyers? And the complex, would that be the University of Minnesota or the new baseball field? Maybe that is made difficult by the chance that the Vikings could be playing at the University next season depending on the recent Metrodome's roof issue (which ESPN speculated but was denied).

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:08 PM
FlyerGuy18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
They may but I think they let the Eagles operate it & make the decisions regarding it. Though it's different circumstances the Eagles balked until the last possible second when they were asked if the Phillies could use the Linc for part of the parade in 08

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:23 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
According to Wikipedia, the Eagles do. So they'd need to give permission to do it first. Honestly can't see that happening.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:31 PM
FlyHigh

Eagles kind of are a d-bag organization.

Old
01-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
According to Wikipedia, the Eagles do. So they'd need to give permission to do it first. Honestly can't see that happening.
The Eagles do, but the city/state have a LOT of leverage due to tax incentives and the like.

That being said, I do think there are legit reasons to not be thrilled about putting this event on during the NFL season. It cannot be good for the playing surface to have the rink setup on it for the week or whatever it is out there.

Old
01-02-2011, 01:44 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Not sure what gets the Eagles this rep. They let the Union play there, they often have soccer exhibitions, college football, etc. If the logistics can be worked out, I'm sure it'll be there.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Not sure what gets the Eagles this rep. They let the Union play there, they often have soccer exhibitions, college football, etc. If the logistics can be worked out, I'm sure it'll be there.
Most of that is during their off-season. They get it from little things like people not feeling they support the Phillies with jumbotron messages and such. Making the McNabb trade on top of Opening Day, etc.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Rumcajs

Islanders vs. Rangers could be huge, but as a secondary option. How about Colorado (In Denver) vs. Minnesota.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:56 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanuck619 View Post
Islanders vs. Rangers could be huge, but as a secondary option. How about Colorado (In Denver) vs. Minnesota.
NBC has a big say and stake involved. From their perspective, how do they promote that game on a similar level to recent games that featured Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Crosby vs. Ovechkin, etc.? It probably has limited appeal to them in that regard and would rather have a team such as Detroit or Chicago (bigger markets) play at Minnesota or Colorado.

Old
01-02-2011, 02:57 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

First issued reply (Sam at the Inq):
Quote:
BroadStBull: A #Flyers official said he knows nothing about rumor that Winter Classic will be at Linc next year.