HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would you give up for Versteeg? (or other Leafs)

Old
01-02-2011, 11:29 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
we don't need just a 1C. We need a center that can win faceoffs.

Versteeg isn't that guy, however.

Not a good fit.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
we don't need just a 1C. We need a center that can win faceoffs.

Versteeg isn't that guy, however.

Not a good fit.
Who is that guy? Is he available? What kind of compensation would he require?

The nature of this proposal is based around a simple, easy to understand concept. If Versteeg is being shopped, what would offer for him? If it's nothing, fine. Doesn't bother me.

But hearing people suggest we need a top-4 dmen, or 1C ultimately shows they didn't bother actually reading this thread. Neither might be available, and if they are, they probably have a good amount of baggage (See: Scott Gomez).

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I'd like to have him but there's no way that I want the Rangers to overpay for him and you know some team will be willing to overpay for him.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:39 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Versteeg for Frolov

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I was advocating him as an alternative to Frolov last season and into the summer, but I think Burke has a hefty price-tag put on him at this point. Probably more than he's worth. If he deals Versteeg, he's going to want to fleece someone in the deal and walk away with a 1st rounder. Not something he's worth.

Also, we're not in a position to commit more salary to next year. We need the cap room.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:57 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

well why not Frolov for Versteeg straight up?

Old
01-02-2011, 01:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
well why not Frolov for Versteeg straight up?
Why would Toronto even entertain that offer? They'd be giving us the better, younger player under contract for 2 more years for an older underachiever about to hit UFA.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

The only player on our current squad with more points than Versteeg, is Dubinsky.

Frolov/Versteeg swap wouldn't happen. But I think Kris could be had for picks+, assuming he is being shopped.

Old
01-02-2011, 01:18 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Why would Toronto even entertain that offer? They'd be giving us the better, younger player under contract for 2 more years for an older underachiever about to hit UFA.
Good answer.

Old
01-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Talent though, is something our organization is lacks.

Pass on Versteeg because Thomas might be ready in a couple of years? Where have a heard that one before . . . . ?
To be fair we've also heard "lets get that guy because he's talented" many times before as well.

Sorry if some one already pointed out the obvious.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
The only player on our current squad with more points than Versteeg, is Dubinsky.

Frolov/Versteeg swap wouldn't happen. But I think Kris could be had for picks+, assuming he is being shopped.
ehhh...if cally wasnt injured he may be right there as well...also Stepan aint too far off, and same goes with gabby despite considerably fewer games played. Rangers have 5 forwards who are within 4 points of his numbers, and all 5 of em play fewer minutes per game than him (granted 3 of em have played more games)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:35 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Who is that guy? Is he available? What kind of compensation would he require?

The nature of this proposal is based around a simple, easy to understand concept. If Versteeg is being shopped, what would offer for him? If it's nothing, fine. Doesn't bother me.

But hearing people suggest we need a top-4 dmen, or 1C ultimately shows they didn't bother actually reading this thread. Neither might be available, and if they are, they probably have a good amount of baggage (See: Scott Gomez).
I was just responding to other posts in this thread saying we needed a 1C. Your guess is as good as mine as to who that person is.

I would probably offer nothing more than a 3rd rounder, or a mid-level prospect like Weise at best. The Leafs can get better for him, or it would just serve them better to keep him at that price.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hmmm...rangers send rozsival for gomez, and 2 first rounders.

DO IT. :-P

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
To be fair we've also heard "lets get that guy because he's talented" many times before as well.

Sorry if some one already pointed out the obvious.
Talent aside, he's a young, good hockey player. Good speed, creative, can play a possession type game. Can move the puck. Plays well in all three zones. Like I said before, we're not talking about an Enver Lisin here, or someone with massive voids in his game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I was just responding to other posts in this thread saying we needed a 1C. Your guess is as good as mine as to who that person is.

I would probably offer nothing more than a 3rd rounder, or a mid-level prospect like Weise at best. The Leafs can get better for him, or it would just serve them better to keep him at that price.
Fair enough. I think a 3rd rounder is a little insulting for a 24 year old who's good for 20+.

I don't see us obtaining that center anytime soon. Maybe a second-rate guy like Weiss if we get impatient, but I don't see that happening.

GM's are always looking to improve their roster. If the opportunity was there, and the price was right, I certainly would pull the trigger.

Old
01-02-2011, 05:36 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Versteeg is starting to sound good as half of the roster is doing their best to get on the IR.

01-02-2011, 05:37 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

While I still say we don't need another second line, 50-55 point offensive threat, this thread has made me start to reconsider trying to land Bergfors. Not a center, but will probably be the statistical equivalent of Versteeg, while costing a lot less to acquire.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:44 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
Steeger for Frolov?

I think that's a decent move. Although the Frolov-Arty-Zucc line was one of the best last night, at least at keeping the pressure up in the offensive zone.

Edit: I doubt Toronto would make this move though.
For Frolov or Rozy, sure. Otherwise, forget it.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Versteeg isn't being shopped. The rumor is that Burke says he's had a tempting offer for Versteeg but wasn't shopping him before he received that offer. If that's the case, the offer must be pretty good to make him consider moving a player he wasn't interested in moving and WE would have to beat that offer to make a move for Versteeg since any offer we made would be competing with the one Toronto already received. All of that considered, I have no interest in Versteeg at all. He's not the answer, nor part of an answer, for the Rangers anyways.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
While I still say we don't need another second line, 50-55 point offensive threat, this thread has made me start to reconsider trying to land Bergfors. Not a center, but will probably be the statistical equivalent of Versteeg, while costing a lot less to acquire.
Considering Bergfors is being actively shopped and Versteeg isn't (Toronto received an offer that Burke says he's considering, but that he wasn't looking to move Versteeg before receiving it) I'd have to agree. I'd rather have Bergfors considering the probable price for Versteeg and I don't really love Versteeg's game.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:30 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

After watching this team struggle to score the last two nights, I kinda wish we were trying to trade for versteeg or somebody.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:42 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Considering Bergfors is being actively shopped and Versteeg isn't (Toronto received an offer that Burke says he's considering, but that he wasn't looking to move Versteeg before receiving it) I'd have to agree. I'd rather have Bergfors considering the probable price for Versteeg and I don't really love Versteeg's game.
I don't think Bergfors would be a fit with the way this team has played this year. If the price wasn't anything silly, I guess it's worth a try, but I don't see him making an impact here to be honest.

DMPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

LOL at all the Versteeg for Frolov stuff.

Kris isn't on the market. Teams have been making offers, with Phoenix's rumoured to be a pretty crazy overpayment, but the Leafs are in no want to get rid of him. From what I read here, the same can't be said about Frolov...

Old
01-02-2011, 06:50 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffler View Post
LOL at all the Versteeg for Frolov stuff.

Kris isn't on the market. Teams have been making offers, with Phoenix's rumoured to be a pretty crazy overpayment, but the Leafs are in no want to get rid of him. From what I read here, the same can't be said about Frolov...
You would be correct, but most of the people saying they would swap Frolov realize it's not happening, so your comment is a bit redundant thanks.

DMPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:30 PM
satrabyk

NOOOOOOOOOO! Not a team guy, i live in Toronto and watch him many nights. This guy has a funny attitude and is not a guy we would want long term or even short term. To the Leaf guy on this board, you can lol all u want, Versteeg had done nothing but score a couple meaningless goals for the Leafs. He provides no grit, and stands and watches way too much. I would take Frolov on my team over him and i am a fan of both teams. The only reason Burke does not want to move him is because he just got aquired him for a couple quality players and it would make him look bad.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
NOOOOOOOOOO! Not a team guy, i live in Toronto and watch him many nights. This guy has a funny attitude and is not a guy we would want long term or even short term. To the Leaf guy on this board, you can lol all u want, Versteeg had done nothing but score a couple meaningless goals for the Leafs. He provides no grit, and stands and watches way too much. I would take Frolov on my team over him and i am a fan of both teams. The only reason Burke does not want to move him is because he just got aquired him for a couple quality players and it would make him look bad.
Doesn't seem to standing around during the games I watch.

You would take Frolov over Versteeg, AND you think MZA looks completely out of place in the NHL? You've got to be kidding me...