HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dang - Isles beat Pitt & Redwings back 2 back

Old
01-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Isles Drive 4 5

vCash: 500
Dang - Isles beat Pitt & Redwings back 2 back

How does a team that looked as bad as they have beat the 2 best teams back to back . They now won 7 out of there last 8 games...beating very good teams..Pitt, Detroit, TB, Ducks, Coyotes, Dev's and Canadiens. If we keep this up we will play ourselfs right out of the lottery. I know we just started to get healthy again..but still

Isles Drive 4 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Macch

lets just enjoy the ride

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Drive 4 5 View Post
How does a team that looked as bad as they have beat the 2 best teams back to back . They now won 7 out of there last 8 games...beating very good teams..Pitt, Detroit, TB, Ducks, Coyotes, Dev's and Canadiens. If we keep this up we will play ourselfs right out of the lottery. I know we just started to get healthy again..but still
I know the bolded isn't really the main point of your post, but I will never understand that kind of mentality from fans.

Maybe I'm misreading what you mean, but isn't it a positive sign that the Isles are in danger of moving out of a lottery pick and instead are moving up the NHL standings? The way you make it sound, this little winning streak is an inconvenience since it might cost the Isles another flashy high pick.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Grizzly

I think it's called sarcasm.

Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:37 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I know the bolded isn't really the main point of your post, but I will never understand that kind of mentality from fans.

Maybe I'm misreading what you mean, but isn't it a positive sign that the Isles are in danger of moving out of a lottery pick and instead are moving up the NHL standings? The way you make it sound, this little winning streak is an inconvenience since it might cost the Isles another flashy high pick.
Sid, with the magic egg (lottery ball) comes hope and some fans want either 30th place or 1st overall and are upset if we were to go from 30th to 23rd to 18th to 1st.

That's two years out of the lottery and thus wasted time and thus failure.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:57 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Drive 4 5 View Post

We're not making the playoffs,but it won't be a totally wasted season if several of our young players can continue developing,gain some consistency.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:59 PM
lacunacoil777

I see no point in winning games now. Even if they do, how will they become a top 8 team in the NHL while playing BELOW the cap FLOOR!! Its asking for a miracle...simply wont happen. The team traded WIZ to save a million dollars...26 years old. A much better player then Gerveis. These sort of step back moves will keep happening.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Isles Drive 4 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

First I was being a little sarcastic....but I also must confess....I 'am one of those Isles fans of the belief that this is a lost year so therefore lets get the highest draft pick possible. I know 70% of isles fans out there think this concept is unacceptable. They are losing their patients with the rebuild and are sick and tired of losing..and this is understandable..they are emotional charged with negativity and out of deperation take any win to be satisfying..again they're acting out of emotion , not logic. I listen to a Neil Smith interview the other day and he said when he was GM of the rags he felt as do many others that new yorkers won't be patient enough for a rebuild..similar as to what Toronto is going thru (trying to rebuild and win at the same time..very very diffulcult to do). I don't have to tell how leafs fans act.
Now to my way of thinking..which is logic based and also based off of proven major successes is like the Steel Curtain Dynasty, Isles and Edmonton Dynasties, Skankees of the past 15 years just to name a few was built 90% draft pix and 10% FA (exception of the skankees in the last 10 years.they just buy everyone but the core are draft pix none the less). You accumulate for 2-3 years as many high draft picks as possible realizing that winning a championchip, let alone making the playoff is a pipe dream. To many fans that are emotional nelly's they can't understand the logic to this..they rather just finish as a 500% team being knock out of the playoffs in the first round. Now after a few years of accumulating the best talent you sprinkle in quality FA..and well la you have a very competitive team that will not only make the playoffs but be very serious contenders to win the cup for many years to come. In the Isles case we may have an extra year of accumulating high round draft picks to to this years pre season injuries as well as mad mike setting this organization back at least 10 yrs by trading all our draft picks for get mediocre FA just to make the playoffs as 8th seeds. The analogy I will draw of this ..its like a gun fighter in the old west...you don't go to a gun fight unless your fully trained and your fully stocked and loaded. Thats were the Isles are at this point after this years draft they will be fully stocked with quality talent. This summer, contrary to many Isles fans with their skeptism..the Isles WILL HAVE TO GET QUALITY F/A EVEN IF IT MEANS GROSSLY OVERPAYING. Unlike any previous summers it will be time...they would have 4 yrs of drafting in high spots, the farm as well as the main team will have quality young talent to build around..and mostly because of the newly negioated lease the isles will be able to turn a profit. Wang and Garth have to know if they don't start spending, showing a committment to winning this summer they will not make any money cuz the only things that will be at the NMVC will be crickets. Remember as painfull as it is to Isles FANS of losing..it has to be at least $5million times harder for wang each year. Hes gonna want to start making money soon and I suspect if anybody wants this rebuild to be over it would be him.
One last point...a few weeks ago there was a thread comparing the Isles rebuild to Edmonton's rebuild. The major critiscism of the Isles rebuild was that they don't have any vets to help the kids unlike the oilers with Hemsky, Penner and a few others. Well the funny thing is that I was on the edmonton's thread researching something for my fantasy hocket team...and I was reading how alot of Oilers fans want to get rid of their vets aka hemsky and the Penners, Gagne etc cuz they want to get more draft pix and let the pix that they do have in the minors to come up and get NHL experience. And all you have to do to see if this is true is go on the trades and rumors thread and count how many trade proposals their are by oilers fans getting rid of these guys. But any way they have the vets but their fans want to get rid of them....we as Isles Fans have no Vets but were complaining we should have them. I just find it funny how 2 completely cities at the same stage of development have differnt views on how to rebuild...as the saying goes..the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

SO.. YES lets bite the bullet this one last year ..get a lottery pick..who knows it could be Larssons..aka Potvin or RNH aka Trots or SC ..aka the original JT thats puts us over the top. Get free agents and go from 30th to 12th to 5th to 1st...and stay in 1st for a much longer time. Moral or sensless victories don't get me excited..building a potential power house for years to come does. I think the Isles would have to play something like 700% winning percentage to even have a shot at the 8th seed. doesn't sound realislistic to me..so next best thing is getting Larssons or RNH.

Old
01-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Holy Mother of God, break up your post man. Just looking at that gives me a headache^^

This mentality of playing ourselves out out of the lottery is stupid. Darn, we don't get another number one overall pick. Have you ever considered the incredibly warped idea that winning is a GOOD THING? A sign that the team is developing? Guys are getting healthy? That we're doing things that work and headed in the right direction? Crazy thoughts, right?

Don't cheer the team to lose. We've had enough years of losing. Look at winning now as a preview of positive things to come next season. We really got screwed this year with injuries right out of the gate. Next season will be a great one for the Islanders.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:31 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyHockey View Post
Holy Mother of God, break up your post man. Just looking at that gives me a headache^^

This mentality of playing ourselves out out of the lottery is stupid. Darn, we don't get another number one overall pick. Have you ever considered the incredibly warped idea that winning is a GOOD THING? A sign that the team is developing? Guys are getting healthy? That we're doing things that work and headed in the right direction? Crazy thoughts, right?

Don't cheer the team to lose. We've had enough years of losing. Look at winning now as a preview of positive things to come next season. We really got screwed this year with injuries right out of the gate. Next season will be a great one for the Islanders.
Some just deserve this owner. Unfortunately, they root for (AGAINST) the same team I do. People this thirsty for kids should be behind bars for life......or in the New York Islander Booster Club.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:15 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyHockey View Post

This. Normally winning is a very good thing and presumes the players are developing, getting better, and the team wins because of that.
But to get wins/points as a result of teams not taking us seriously, or goalie stealing games does not mean we are any better. It is false points that do not benefit us in the end, we are still bad masked by breaks, goaltending etc, and revert to bad at some point at the cost of drafting higher and possibly missing who we want to take.

Last edited by BillD: 01-02-2011 at 08:59 AM.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:32 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
This. Normally winning is a very good thing and presumes the players are developing, getting better, and the team wins because of that.
But to get wins/points as a result of teams not taking us seriously, or goalie stealing games does not mean we are any better. It is false points that do not benefit us in the end, we are still bad masked by breaks, goaltending etc, and revert to bad at some point at the cost of drafting higher and possibly missing who we want to take.
The same can be true of just about any team that isn't Pitt, Philly, Detroit or Washington.

All teams get weird bounces, all teams have some nights where the win is due to a goalies standing on his head, all teams have the occasional brainfart; it's all in how a team limits them and their possible effect.

What matters is that this team is starting to believe in itself, winning one game at a time. Tanking doesn't work unless you're the '83 Pens. Don't get me wrong, I want high-yield players coming this way, too - just not at the expense of another season. All crossing your fingers for the Isles to take a big, wet **** on the ice from here on out is give players we wish to keep here a good reason to leave. You want Tavares to get disillusioned here and walk in a couple of years so you can pin the hopes of the franchise on ANOTHER 1st overall??? Spare me.

Now, Washington & Philly and co. we're not (obviously), but if you follow a "lose to win" mentality, other than a few exceptions to the rule, you usually don't get past the second word.

More losing = fanbase unraveling AGAIN = "the neverending story."

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Isles Drive 4 5

I know my post was lengthy but it also was pretty detailed with logic and evidence. As I stated 70% of Isles just won't get it this concept. To repeat..i guess you guys were dillussional in thinking that we were a playoff contender this year with or without the injuries....i wasn't. Were just not ready yet. I'm not interested in finishing in 10 god damm place for the next 37 yrs to be bounced out of the playoffs in the first round. Maybe you forget or actually enjoyed losing to Toronto and Ottawa or enjoyed Milbury giving away an all star team of young talent...I DON'T and if it means suffering thru 1 more year of losing....in a year where we weren't gonna win chit anyway so be it. THE NEXT BEST THING IS GET THE HIGHEST DRAFT PICK POSSIBE.....damm why don't you people get it..its not that hard to comprehend....sure lets sacrfice Larsson who could be a 15 yr stud for us just so we can say we won a few extra meaningless games...yes makes alot of sense..just not to me. Also to repeat this should be the last year of accumulating /tanking for draft picks. They have to go after FA this summer (oh i forgot u don't believe they will and consider the fact the owner likes losing 5 -10mil a yr). I need to get away some people on here makes as much sense as playing golf with a basketball....