HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CLB@NSH 1-2-2011 The "Suter. Drink. Weber. Drink." Edition

Old
01-02-2011, 09:32 PM
token grinder

vCash: 500
i think alot depends on erat.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:36 PM
deanwormer

Good grief - it is not a good year to be a C in Smashville!

I like Nick with Wardo and Stonehands - with all the ice-time they get as our "stopper" line it's good they can contribute a little on O.

Don't want to see Wilson C a line, though. Whoever was clamoring for Lundmark - I think (hope) this is the time we see him.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Jonesey
KCCO

Just want to post that at the 10 minute mark of the first, I asked my buddy when we would score. He said "sometime this period." I said, "17 Minutes in the 2nd." Shea Weber scores with 17:01 to play.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:45 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

I didn't see any white between the puck and the goal line on the Wilson shot, SK rebound goal.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:09 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Ohio network gives Ward 3rd star? Are you kidding? Give it to Spaling for GW or Wilson for an excellent game
i would put him up there as well. he single handedly killed a minute of powerplay time at one point. he had a great game as well!

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:28 PM
jcupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I didn't see any white between the puck and the goal line on the Wilson shot, SK rebound goal.
I' ve seen it a couple times on replay and to me it looks like it went in. Looked like it hit the back sdie of the cross bar and just over the goal line then back out.

jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:29 PM
jcupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
i would put him up there as well. he single handedly killed a minute of powerplay time at one point. he had a great game as well!
Ward did a lot, but Legwand killed off just about as much too.

jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Thoughts about the game tonight.....

1. Wilson is becoming an offensive force. He made a ton of plays tonight that blew me away. He is single-handedly creating chances out of nothing, and I am pumped to see what he can do in the future.

2. It is truly incredible that we are actually paying Kevin Klien. At this point, I would pay him to stay away from the ice. He made some truly boneheaded plays tonight.

3. I feel bad saying this in light of his injury, but Cally O had a couple plays tonight where he simply gave up and stopped skating. I couldn't believe he didn't give it his all.

4. About the injury, does anyone know for sure if Cal is still alive? Trotz usually calls a broken leg "nothing major" after the game, but he said Cal looked bad and that he would miss time. I'm thinking he either dead or in a coma.....

5. Rinne stood on his head tonight. He made a few incredible saves, and was solid all night.

6. I brought a first-time fan to the game tonight and she is 100% hooked!

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:38 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
4. About the injury, does anyone know for sure if Cal is still alive? Trotz usually calls a broken leg "nothing major" after the game, but he said Cal looked bad and that he would miss time. I'm thinking he either dead or in a coma.....
Per Pred303guy's recon, the injury might be from a Boll knee on knee hit which means not just when the ankle moves but also the knee moves the fracture opens up....

Another center done. Wilson to C? Lundmark call upMilwaukee to raid Cincy of everything they got?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Per Pred303guy's recon, the injury might be from a Boll knee on knee hit which means not just when the ankle moves but also the knee moves the fracture opens up....

Another center done. Wilson to C? Lundmark call upMilwaukee to raid Cincy of everything they got?
Injury occured on an awkward hip check from Dorsett. Contact was to the side of his upper leg. Cal's leg was moving forward, then you saw his lower leg just give out as he fell.

It was not a knee on knee hit, nor was it Boll.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:

I'm torn on this. Wilson has finally figured out how to be a great winger, and is producing there. If it isn't broke, don't mess with it. Yet, that means Smithson and Spailing both center a line instead. I don't want any more offensively inept centers that absolutely necessary. I think we have enough AHLers up here right now. If we scratch Belak, Mueller and Klasen can both play now. The lines I'm hoping for:

Svatos-Goc-Kostitsyn
Hornqvist-Legwand- Wilson
Klasen-Spailing-Dumont
Ward-Smithson-Mueller

Old
01-02-2011, 10:48 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Injury occured on an awkward hip check from Dorsett. Contact was to the side of his upper leg. Cal's leg was moving forward, then you saw his lower leg just give out as he fell.

It was not a knee on knee hit, nor was it Boll.
OK bad info

Old
01-02-2011, 11:01 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Thoughts about the game tonight.....

1. Wilson is becoming an offensive force. He made a ton of plays tonight that blew me away. He is single-handedly creating chances out of nothing, and I am pumped to see what he can do in the future.

2. It is truly incredible that we are actually paying Kevin Klien. At this point, I would pay him to stay away from the ice. He made some truly boneheaded plays tonight.

3. I feel bad saying this in light of his injury, but Cally O had a couple plays tonight where he simply gave up and stopped skating. I couldn't believe he didn't give it his all.

5. Rinne stood on his head tonight. He made a few incredible saves, and was solid all night.

6. I brought a first-time fan to the game tonight and she is 100% hooked!
One, if you're going to insult the guy, at least spell his name right. It's Klein.

Two, Franson is a bigger train wreck for this team. He and O'Brien kept giving the puck away to Columbus the first two periods. While Klein has his moments, Cody is atrocious comparatively.

I think a lot of people who watch this team hold onto grudges for way too long a time period. Klein was a lot of people's whipping boy last year yet people still see a bad play or two and it's Klein still sucks or why do we play him. I hate to tell people, he's been our third best defender behind Weber and Suter this year.

I remember the same thing happened with Suter and that people bashed him for a long time after his first two seasons yet here he is our best player. Go figure. Not saying Klein is a genius or the best player we have but his game has taken a major turn and we forget that he's on our top PK unit these days and last time I checked, we're looking pretty good on the PK. Even with the losses of Hamhuis and Zanon over the last few years, the PK continues to roll and even better these days with those two gone and Klein leading the way out there. Look at the PK minutes and he's getting the most minutes of the D men out there on the PK.

Franson will hopefully turn the corner in the next year or so as well and if he does, we'll have 4 solid guys back there on the blue line that are still quite young. Franson has some very good tools on the offensive side. If he learns to play on the defensive side a little bit better he could be a very valuable player.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:02 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I would rather see Lundmark and keep Wilson and Spaling at wing.

Goc
Lundmark
Legwand
Smithson

Old
01-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:

Goc
Lundmark
Legwand
Smithson
Send Mueller down?

Old
01-02-2011, 11:04 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Send Mueller down?
If O'Reilly goes IR that's an open spot for the team.

Old
01-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:

Goc
Lundmark
Legwand
Smithson
I like the Smithson - Spaling -Ward line as our third. I'd go with...

Legwand
Goc
Spaling
Mueller

Mueller reminds me of Spaling defensively and Peverley offensively. He was centering the Ads top line prior to his recall and I think he'll get the first shot before they bring up Lundmark or make a trade...

Old
01-02-2011, 11:16 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I like the Smithson - Spaling -Ward line as our third. I'd go with...

Legwand
Goc
Spaling
Mueller

Mueller reminds me of Spaling defensively and Peverley offensively. He was centering the Ads top line prior to his recall and I think he'll get the first shot before they bring up Lundmark or make a trade...
If we do this and insert Klasen back into the lineup and sit Belak does the 4th line look like Dumont/Mueller/Klasen with the other 3 lines pretty much staying the same?

Legwand ended up between SK and Svatos with Goc centering Wilson and Hornqvist as the game went on or does it go back to Legwand centering Wilson and Hornqvist with Goc between SK and Svatos or do we somehow move Klasen up to one of the top two lines and drop someone else down?

Old
01-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
One, if you're going to insult the guy, at least spell his name right. It's Klein.

Two, Franson is a bigger train wreck for this team. He and O'Brien kept giving the puck away to Columbus the first two periods. While Klein has his moments, Cody is atrocious comparatively.

I think a lot of people who watch this team hold onto grudges for way too long a time period. Klein was a lot of people's whipping boy last year yet people still see a bad play or two and it's Klein still sucks or why do we play him. I hate to tell people, he's been our third best defender behind Weber and Suter this year.

I remember the same thing happened with Suter and that people bashed him for a long time after his first two seasons yet here he is our best player. Go figure. Not saying Klein is a genius or the best player we have but his game has taken a major turn and we forget that he's on our top PK unit these days and last time I checked, we're looking pretty good on the PK. Even with the losses of Hamhuis and Zanon over the last few years, the PK continues to roll and even better these days with those two gone and Klein leading the way out there. Look at the PK minutes and he's getting the most minutes of the D men out there on the PK.

Franson will hopefully turn the corner in the next year or so as well and if he does, we'll have 4 solid guys back there on the blue line that are still quite young. Franson has some very good tools on the offensive side. If he learns to play on the defensive side a little bit better he could be a very valuable player.
First off, I apologize for the typo.

Secondly, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. In my opinion, no defenseman has truly distanced them self from the rest of the pack as our #3 man. I feel that Klien makes a horrid amount of mistakes in almost every game. I understand that I may be biased against him because of my belief that he is bad, but he makes it too easy for me sometimes.

I think Franson is better at playing D than most people give him credit for. He refuses to hit, which frustrates me, but he is sound positionally and is rarely caught up-ice. He is nowhere near Suter or Weber, but I think he is not too far behind Klein defensively, if at all. He still has some work to do, but he is getting much better at limiting his big mistakes.

Perhaps I am looking through anti-Klein tinted glasses, but I just see him make too many mistakes to make me comfortable giving him a large amount of minutes.

Old
01-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
If we do this and insert Klasen back into the lineup and sit Belak does the 4th line look like Dumont/Mueller/Klasen with the other 3 lines pretty much staying the same?

Legwand ended up between SK and Svatos with Goc centering Wilson and Hornqvist as the game went on or does it go back to Legwand centering Wilson and Hornqvist with Goc between SK and Svatos or do we somehow move Klasen up to one of the top two lines and drop someone else down?
Yeah, I'd likely stick with...

Kostitsyn - Legwand - Svatos
Wilson - Goc - Hornqvist
Smithson - Spaling - Ward
Dumont - Mueller - Klasen

Could switch back Legwand and Goc, but we'll see what Trotz does. Anaheim will likely keep Belak in the lineup...

Old
01-02-2011, 11:25 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
First off, I apologize for the typo.

Secondly, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. In my opinion, no defenseman has truly distanced them self from the rest of the pack as our #3 man. I feel that Klien makes a horrid amount of mistakes in almost every game. I understand that I may be biased against him because of my belief that he is bad, but he makes it too easy for me sometimes.

I think Franson is better at playing D than most people give him credit for. He refuses to hit, which frustrates me, but he is sound positionally and is rarely caught up-ice. He is nowhere near Suter or Weber, but I think he is not too far behind Klein defensively, if at all. He still has some work to do, but he is getting much better at limiting his big mistakes.

Perhaps I am looking through anti-Klein tinted glasses, but I just see him make too many mistakes to make me comfortable giving him a large amount of minutes.
Fair enough. I'm more scared with Franson when he's handling the puck in the defensive zone. That's just me. Guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Old
01-03-2011, 12:03 AM
predfan24

[QUOTE=glenngineer;29939445

Franson will hopefully turn the corner in the next year or so as well and if he does, we'll have 4 solid guys back there on the blue line that are still quite young. Franson has some very good tools on the offensive side. If he learns to play on the defensive side a little bit better he could be a very valuable player.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with your assessment on Klein I continued to be baffled with people's overreactions to Franson's play. Is his play perfect and does it have plenty of room to improve? Sure, but all in all I'd say he is doing damn well. Let's list the reasons people said he will never be a good NHL player.

1. He is a terrible skater.

While he will never be a burner or super agile I think he has proved his skating doesn't constantly get him beat.

2. He can't play Defense.

He isn't now or will never be a shut down D man. But compared to the way some have talked about him for years he is playing much better than I anticipated defensively. He still has room for improvement as he gains more experience.

People also fail to realize guys has different roles. Boullion for example plays a straight ahead simple game. Chip pucks in and chip pucks out. That's why you don't see a guy like him make passes that get picked off like Franson's did tonight. He doesn't make those passes that's not his role. Franson is an offensive puck moving D-man. One of his jobs is to make that great pass on the breakout to get forwards some space and get them the puck in favorable situations. That job is obviously way more high risk than say Boullion's job.

Obviously Franson is young and he has to learn to pick his spots and not force it like he did a few times tonight but considering his age and experience at the NHL level I don't understand why he isn't more highly valued to Preds fans.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:34 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I love Franson. Im done trying to stick up for the guy...Klein is much scarier with the puck. and not in a good way

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:24 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
I' ve seen it a couple times on replay and to me it looks like it went in. Looked like it hit the back sdie of the cross bar and just over the goal line then back out.
There has to be white between the goal line and the puck for it to be clear evidence that the puck crossed into the net completely .... after watching a few times I haven't seen that conclusive evidence. If the officials on the ice would have called it Wilson's goal, it probably would have stayed his. Bottom line, the PREDS scored.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:43 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Bottom line, the PREDS scored.
yeah, but the name on the back means more than the name on the front...in fantasy pools

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote