HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Beauchemin to SJ

Old
01-02-2011, 07:21 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Well, he was an all-star before going to the black-hole that is Toronto
He was a servicable D-man who scored 34 points in 61 games, but other than that he's never really been anything special and has never been an all star, always a servicable but "nothing special" 3-4 D-Man.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
what is it most shark fans want here?

i know most will say top 4 defenseman, but unless wilson pulls off another thornton/boyle trade its just not happening.

to me the goal should be to upgrade the bottom pairings, with someone that is steady and can eat lots of minutes and someone that can also play the power play (which beauchemin can if asked to)

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:24 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

I'm not sure this guy is the answer for the Sharks - please let it be a rumor and No.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
what is it most shark fans want here?

i know most will say top 4 defenseman, but unless wilson pulls off another thornton/boyle trade its just not happening.

to me the goal should be to upgrade the bottom pairings, with someone that is steady and can eat lots of minutes and someone that can also play the power play (which beauchemin can if asked to)
Any two-way defenseman. Beauchemin is not that, especially not this season. It isn't going to take a Thornton or Boyle kind of offer to pry, say, Fedor Tyutin from the Blue Jackets or Ian White from the Canes.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Beauchemin is not much of a puck-mover and that is the area the Sharks need to improve upon on their blue line. Beauchemin can log the minutes, be physical, and block shots, but he's pretty much what Vlasic was the first 20-25 games of the season in terms of an offensive presence...which is none with two exceptions. He's got a good point shot on the power play and he jumps up four on four. Outside of that, he plays highly conservatively, never jumps up in the rush, and is not all that good head-manning the puck up the ice.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Beauchemin sucks but if it happens since i watch both leafs and sharks:

Beauchemin + Mike Brown would be what i want. Mike Brown is a great penalty killer this year, and even though beauchemin is pretty useless he does block a lot of shots

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Any two-way defenseman. Beauchemin is not that, especially not this season. It isn't going to take a Thornton or Boyle kind of offer to pry, say, Fedor Tyutin from the Blue Jackets or Ian White from the Canes.
Ian White is a #4-5 D man and this is coming from a big Ian White supporter. We wont win a cup with him as a top 4 D-man on the team.

Pitkanen is the type of D-man we need or a Timmonen

Old
01-02-2011, 07:49 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Not worth Seto, as the Trade Rumors Thread suggests.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:24 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
I'm sorry but Beauchemin just isn't as good as people think he is. I don't think he's what we want.
No need to apologize, but just how good do people think he is?

01-02-2011, 08:42 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
No need to apologize, but just how good do people think he is?
People think he's the same player that he was when he was with Anaheim. He was a competent defenseman who benefited from playing with two of the best defensemen EVER. He was a good #4 defenseman who was made to look like a top paring guy.

A very serious knee injury and no Pronger and Neidermeyer have left him playing poorly as a miscast 25 minute a night guy when he should probably be playing 17-18 a night. His offensive instincts are not very good, nor is he consistent enough game in and game out to really be what this team needs: a solid 3/4 two way guy.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:43 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Can he strip the puck from a forward 1 on 1?

Can he make a clean breakout pass?

Can he hold the zone and get a shot through to the net?

If the answer is yes to two or more of the above, then there's room for him in San Jose.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Artful_Dodger*

Artful_Dodger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:15 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post

If the answer is yes to two or more of the above, then there's room for him in San Jose.
1) sometimes

2) yes

3) not really.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
People think he's the same player that he was when he was with Anaheim. He was a competent defenseman who benefited from playing with two of the best defensemen EVER. He was a good #4 defenseman who was made to look like a top paring guy.

A very serious knee injury and no Pronger and Neidermeyer have left him playing poorly as a miscast 25 minute a night guy when he should probably be playing 17-18 a night. His offensive instincts are not very good, nor is he consistent enough game in and game out to really be what this team needs: a solid 3/4 two way guy.
I'm not advocating him as THE solution. He's not. And I agree he isn't as good as when he played on the Ducks. We really need a puck carrier; someone to pair with Vlasic. But as I said prior, its not as far-fetched as it might appear first take. It depends what we give in trade more than anything.

I understand that he's not playing to expectations this year and coming off a very long recovery for a knee problem. But he has played in every game for the Leafs both last year and so far this year, leading the team in ATOI, ATOI/60, and shifts per game. He can handle 23 minutes a game still. No, he's not going to convince anyone he is Duncan Keith skating and that is the type player (skating wise) we would all like. But a closer look at his his Behind the Net numbers show he is leading the team in many/most categories. He might still be a little better than a 17-18 minute guy in the right role.

Is it possible the frustration people in Toronto have with him this year have to do with the fatigue that a veteran feels when he's on a bad team with little direction for the second year? People here had all the same arguments over Blake coming .... injury prone, not the guy he was, old, slow, etc. But now everyone points Blake's presence on the team as one of the big off-season losses for the defense and leadership.

I'm not arguing for the trade and not arguing moving Seto in trade. But we also have to acknowledge there aren't many top pair guys we are going to be able to bid on at the deadline and what we have to give might make us all sick on a rental.

If this is the only thing we can come up with, that is a major improvement for the team if he can pair with Boyle and let Murray drop minutes and be more physical. It also allows a second pairing on the PP with Demers instead of Wallin/Vlasic.

All I am saying is there is some sense to the thought depending on who was sent the other way.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:46 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:
1) sometimes

2) yes

3) not really.

1.5 / 3 won't cut it... No deal!!

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:

1.) no
2.) no
3.) Yes

ive seen all the games this year trust me on this, he is the KING of giveaways this year. The best times are when the cameras zoom in on him to make it look like he's about to make a great play when he actually does skate with the puck out of the zone, and he makes a horrible pass leading to an odd man rush

Beauchemin is good if we want to be hemmed in our own zone because he throws weak pucks up the boards without looking everytime he gets it in the zone.

Old
01-02-2011, 09:50 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

1) Not a good enough skater.
2) He did in Anaheim but has been challenged in Toronto
3) Yes. He's an asset from the point.

Old
01-02-2011, 10:06 PM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
Beauchemin sucks but if it happens since i watch both leafs and sharks:

Beauchemin + Mike Brown would be what i want. Mike Brown is a great penalty killer this year, and even though beauchemin is pretty useless he does block a lot of shots
I actually like the Mike Brown idea. Beauchemin + Brown for Seto seems somewhat even although i would rather move Huskins and possibly Mitchell or Mcginn. Brown is a significant upgrade over Mayers. improvement in penalty kill, fighting and he is younger with more potential

ThorNton Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:12 PM
hockeyball

I would seriously rather have Braun on the ice than Beuachemin, not because he's better, but because his skillset fits our needs better.

Beauch is ALL wrong. If DW trades for him I will actually facepalm. We don't need another overpaid 1 dimensional 5-6 defensemen, and that is EXACTLY what Beauch is these days.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:19 PM
nbbyfan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
If DW really wanted Ian White, he would have made a huge push to acquire him from the flames.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:20 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I would seriously rather have Braun on the ice than Beuachemin, not because he's better, but because his skillset fits our needs better.

Beauch is ALL wrong. If DW trades for him I will actually facepalm. We don't need another overpaid 1 dimensional 5-6 defensemen, and that is EXACTLY what Beauch is these days.
I agree with the point re: skill set, but do you think Braun having never played more than 40 games in a season, is going to play 82 and the playoffs and not crack? He has some glaring defensive weaknesses.

I like his skill set, but Braun is going to be better for the team next season.

And again ... I am probably neutral on a trade for Beauchemin depending on what the package looks like. I guess I am more open-minded than most and since nobody has said HELL YA ! ...not even me .... I suppose by default that makes me the biggest supporter.

But he isn't a 5-6. He's a middle pair having a tough year making obvious bad plays. (... as was Rivet when we got him). Sometime moving a veteran player off a bad team can have very positive results.

Old
01-02-2011, 10:20 PM
sweHockeypunk21

It'd be nice if Huskins and Mitchell were packaged with a pick for him. Toronto must feel depleted in the draft. I'd rather trade our picks than give up on Seto, he has 10 points in the last 9 games from being injured (5G, 5A). He was on a slump but give him time. 1.8 million isn't too much to deal with. He still has tons of potential.

I'd be okay with Mitchell and a 2nd for Beach.

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Clowe-Couture-Mcginn
-Pavelski-Setoguchi

sweHockeypunk21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:27 PM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweHockeypunk21 View Post
It'd be nice if Huskins and Mitchell were packaged with a pick for him. Toronto must feel depleted in the draft. I'd rather trade our picks than give up on Seto, he has 10 points in the last 9 games from being injured (5G, 5A). He was on a slump but give him time. 1.8 million isn't too much to deal with. He still has tons of potential.

I'd be okay with Mitchell and a 2nd for Beach.

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Clowe-Couture-Ferriero
Mcginn-Pavelski-Setoguchi
Fixed. Would love to see a deal like Huskins + Mitchell + 3rd for Beauch + Brown

ThorNton Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
I agree with the point re: skill set, but do you think Braun having never played more than 40 games in a season, is going to play 82 and the playoffs and not crack? He has some glaring defensive weaknesses.

I like his skill set, but Braun is going to be better for the team next season.

And again ... I am probably neutral on a trade for Beauchemin depending on what the package looks like. I guess I am more open-minded than most and since nobody has said HELL YA ! ...not even me .... I suppose by default that makes me the biggest supporter.

But he isn't a 5-6. He's a middle pair having a tough year making obvious bad plays. (... as was Rivet when we got him). Sometime moving a veteran player off a bad team can have very positive results.
I sit where you do if it's for the right assets going the other way. I doubt this board will be happy with anyone that's actually available.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I sit where you do if it's for the right assets going the other way. I doubt this board will be happy with anyone that's actually available.
I'm in the same camp as you two.

While, yes, of course, I'd much rather land a Burns/Weber/Suter but that's just not going to happen. I think a decent, solid 4 like Beauch (for the right assets) would be just fine. Not outstanding but just fine and better than what we have.

Ideally, we deal Huskins, Mitchell and a pick (3rd or even a 2nd) or prospect like Joslin for Beauch + Brown.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote