HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Cal O'Reilly

Old
01-02-2011, 11:07 PM
MattPreds37

vCash: 500
Cal O'Reilly

NHL:On the Fly reports that Cal has a broken fibula and will be out indefinitely.... This is really getting to be awful for our boys.

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Poor Cal. His season started off so well and gradually got worse, now this. I think to stand a chance on making any noise this year in the playoffs, we'll need to acquire a capable center. Dropping like flies here.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:47 PM
predfan24

Be interesting what the Preds do at Center. I'm hoping they don't split the 4th line and have Spaling and Smithson center different lines. That is the worst thing that could happen IMO. For one the Spaling-Smithson-Ward line is going good and I don't want to see an offensive center replaced with a defensive center.

So what are the options?

1. Move Willy to C
2. Call up somebody? Begin(Please no), Geoferrion(Unlikely), Lundmark(Possible)
3. Trade?

Any other possibilities?

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Be interesting what the Preds do at Center. I'm hoping they don't split the 4th line and have Spaling and Smithson center different lines. That is the worst thing that could happen IMO. For one the Spaling-Smithson-Ward line is going good and I don't want to see an offensive center replaced with a defensive center.

So what are the options?

1. Move Willy to C
3. Trade?

Any other possibilities?
Apparently Mueller plays some center too. No idea how effective he would be.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post

So what are the options?

1. Move Willy to C
3. Trade?

Any other possibilities?
I'd give Mueller a chance to see what he can do at center. I've watched lundmark play and he's more of a plug than any long term solution. I'd rather give a guy like Mueller the chance to shine. I've seen what lundmark can do, nothing impressive.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:31 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
I'd give Mueller a chance to see what he can do at center. I've watched lundmark play and he's more of a plug than any long term solution. I'd rather give a guy like Mueller the chance to shine. I've seen what lundmark can do, nothing impressive.
No offense to Mueller but he's a guy that didn't even have an NHL contract until a few days ago. I understand Lundmark is nothing special but he's a guy who's been a decent pro for along time. You know what your getting from him. Mueller seems more like an experiment. We are to far into the season and the race in the West is too tight for experiments. Then again what the hell do I know? Just glad I'm not making the choices.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:09 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

If there is a long term issue then make a trade for a center. Nashville has an extra 2nd.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 06:49 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
If there is a long term issue then make a trade for a center. Nashville has an extra 2nd.
we also have 3 dmen at Milw, plus we're carrying a 7th, all that could probably play 3rd pair right now if we had to use one of them. at least 2 of them have some serious upside. Tampa picks up a goalie - surely there's a centerman out there for us?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 07:26 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
the fibula is a non-weight bearing bone. it will be healed in 4-6 weeks. he should be back mid to late february at the latest.

this is the same bone that Weber broke in Erats leg a couple of years ago.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 07:27 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
problem with this is the standings are so tight only a couple of teams would be selling atthis point...

now, im sure we could probably get Arnott back from Jersey..

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 07:37 AM
MattPreds37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
problem with this is the standings are so tight only a couple of teams would be selling atthis point...

now, im sure we could probably get Arnott back from Jersey..
Id take him back for a 5th.

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
Does this mean that Klasen will play again this week?

thanks!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:16 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Last night's lines:

Wilson - Legwand - Hornqvist
Kostitsyn - Goc - Svatos
Smithson - Spaling - Ward
Belak - O'Reilly - Dumont

I say call up Lundmark and insert him for O'Reilly and leave the rest of the lineup alone. That's unless Erat or Sully are healthy again, but doubt it.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:26 AM
jlsg

Blak does not need to be on the ice for the west coast trip. He was in last night because Columbus gets chippy sometimes. I think the best answer is Smithson back to center and then you plug in wings as needed. I'd keep Wilson at wing, he seems to be doing well there and I really don't want to mess with his head right now.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:35 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

With all of the injuries at center, it will be interesting if we make a move on Reinprecht if he gets put through re-entry waivers. He becomes a cheap veteran presence for this season and next at half price. Calling up Lundmark makes more sense, but, this definitely hasn't been the season of typical personnel moves by the Preds.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
I think we should use Mueller at center and switch Belak and Klasen, such as Belak against Anaheim, Klasen against LA. That Belak - O'Reilly - Dumont line got time in the first and not again until the 3rd when Columbus gave up and thats how we should use them for the next week until either Erat or Sullivan come back.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:39 AM
token grinder

I think you call up lundmark. we have to keep an eye to the future here as well. granted not all these guys have 1 way deals but

goc-sk-erat
horn-leggy-wilson
sully-lombardi-dumont
smithson-ward-spaling
belak-tootoo-svatos
klasen-mueller-o'reilly

weber suter
klein-cube
franson-sob
sulzer

rinne-lindback

that is 27 guys, meaning 4 guys minimum go back down. 5 if you make a deal with someone. 6 if you make a deal and have another call up up. klasen and mueller are the quickest to go down. that leaves you at 25. spaling, sk, and svatos have 2 way deals, but i don't know if they have to clear waives yet. at least in spalings case i don't know. i don't think you send him down though, nor sk. svatos could bust, no big deal there. so we send svatos packing. still have 1 more cut to make.

now this all is moot if sullivan is day to day for 2 years again, or lombardi can't remember who he is still for a while. but you have to keep an eye to the future as we can't afford to be pissing away nhl money in milwaukee.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:15 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
the fibula is a non-weight bearing bone. it will be healed in 4-6 weeks. he should be back mid to late february at the latest.

I assume you spend most days peering up folks noses, but it's darn nice to have a Doc on our message boards. Even better when you put a positive spin on such a nasty injury. They way he was crawling to the bench coupled with Trotz's post game comments led me to think he was done for the year. Might still be the case, but your comment gives us all hope he'll be back AND in game shape for a playoff run.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
I'd put Smithson centering the 4th line and then replace Smithson with Dumont and put Mueller, or Klasen in Dumont's spot.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
With all of the injuries at center, it will be interesting if we make a move on Reinprecht if he gets put through re-entry waivers. He becomes a cheap veteran presence for this season and next at half price. Calling up Lundmark makes more sense, but, this definitely hasn't been the season of typical personnel moves by the Preds.
The move to pick up Svatos was atypical wasn't it!! Different owner controlling the purse and a lot fewer empty seats at the Bridge this season. So is there a bit more revenue to make additional moves as we get closer to April? I don't expect anything earth shattering, but I am cautiously optimistic about similar "Svatos-type" acquisitions.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:04 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
The move to pick up Svatos was atypical wasn't it!! Different owner controlling the purse and a lot fewer empty seats at the Bridge this season. So is there a bit more revenue to make additional moves as we get closer to April? I don't expect anything earth shattering, but I am cautiously optimistic about similar "Svatos-type" acquisitions.
There isn't that much more revenue. The increase in attendance is offset by a reduced average ticket price so the net gain is about $7,000 at the gate per game. Over the course of a season, that doesn't add up to enough to pay for a player.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Dodgie

Quote:

Yahoo agrees with you FWIW:

C Cal O'Reilly broke his right fibula when he went down midway through the third period. "Sometimes you get hit and you have your toe dug in," coach Barry Trotz said. "All your weight, plus any force that is on you at that point, goes on that very small area of your leg." O'Reilly figures to be out until at least mid-February.

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Paying $1M in 2011-12 to replace O'Reilly for eight weeks is probably an ill-advised decision. Having a few openings to fill up front next year won't necessarily be a bad thing.

We need to look for a short-term solution. Lundmark might work, but I'd like someone who has been able to hold down a roster spot in the NHL, even if it's someone like Andrew Cogliano.

Of course, we could also just give the expanded playing time to Spaling and give Mueller a regular shift, but when we're right in the middle of the pack, in a situation where every point is crucial, I'm not sure I want to turn the reigns over to him on third line center duties.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Trotz said today that Chris Mueller will get the first two games of the road trip as Cal's replacement as the 4th center, then he'll evaluate the need for a further callup. However, instead of recalling Lundmark, Trotz mentioned specifically moving Spaling back to center and recalling either Halischuk or Thuresson to play wing...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 06:08 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
I don't expect anything earth shattering, but I am cautiously optimistic about similar "Svatos-type" acquisitions.
Hard to be optimistic on a guy that 30 teams didn't want to sign this offseason.

But given our current state of affairs (26th in goals per game) it was a we-gotta-atleast-try-it move.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote