HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dwayne Roloson Traded To Tampa Bay

Old
01-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Logical that Dipi and Lawson will share net duties, prolly 65/35% in light of Dipi's regular woes.

The picture could get cloudy if Dipi has to spend a prolongued period of time on the IR. Surely we cannot count out Snow pulling a goalie off the waiver wire.

Dunno if Wishart will turn into a player, but his junior career was good and his size cannot be taught.

In his third year of AHL hockey, he seems to be NHL close.

He gives us an option and if he can play in this league, he'll be a big body on a team that has needed those on the blueline for a while now.

Timing:
Tend to agree that Snow simply didn't want to take the risk that the returns become worse as the deadline approaches and a Tampa perhaps decides on another goaltender, especially if Morrow and co. are simply fond of Wishart's upside.

Time will tell, but there are logical reasons for this move now. The 'throwing in the towel' thoughts are of course natural, especially in light of the Wisniewski trade, but after losing 20 of 22 games, it would have to have been a MIRACLE to see this team still make the playoffs, even with those two.

Don't be fooled by the current success - this team has far too many holes to make a run at things. If they do, it will be on the strength of the guys they have. And who knows... I can't help but think that MAYBE this group is better off in the locker room without Wiz and Rollie, even if one can't help but think Rollie was a generally good influence.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:59 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarbdamnit View Post
Phil Giubileo interviewed Ty Wishart during the 2nd intermission of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers game today. here's the interview below.

Good thing he is going to Bridgeport, our team looks rather small on ice and getting manhandled by those red guys

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

I like this trade. Some people might say the timing was wrong but I am glad that Garth pulled the trigger. Even if we had Rollie for the remainder of the season there is no guarantee that we make the playoffs. I like Rollie a lot but sooner or later he was going to go. Now my second favorite team will be the Lightning. (At least for this season)

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Van Halen View Post
I like this trade. Some people might say the timing was wrong but I am glad that Garth pulled the trigger. Even if we had Rollie for the remainder of the season there is no guarantee that we make the playoffs. I like Rollie a lot but sooner or later he was going to go. Now my second favorite team will be the Lightning. (At least for this season)
So since we can not reach the playoffs, we should just continue to make the team worse and let the culture of losing set it.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
So since we can not reach the playoffs, we should just continue to make the team worse and let the culture of losing set it.
For some here losing is the only option, after all we get more kiddies.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:36 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
but I feel that Lawson really is a dark horse that no one is giving any notice of and personally I feel he can possibly make some noise at the NHL level this year.
From watching Lawson last 3 years ...he somewhat reminds me a bit of Biron.

Wont wow you with reflexes...but plays a "safe" & sound game to keep the Tigers in most games.

If he can handle the NHL ...i figure he'll be a solid 1b goalie.

Back to the topic at hand...i totally understand the trade...
With our pipeline it was something needed.

Hopefully Ty Wishart develops into a true NHL dman...we need it.

01-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Islesny91

I like this trade. A lot of people are acting like our back up tenders are Joey Mac and Yann Danis. We still got Ricky, whose looked good of lately, even tho he had a brief stint on the DL, and Lawson whose a pretty good prospect in his own right. He looked pretty good in his one game, albeit one game. Im not of the belief that this is an attempt to throw away the rest of the season. Sure, they're most likely not gonna win as many games as with roli, but they still have a good chance on improving on last season. Its tough to really judge thvis team because of the losses of Streit and Okposo. Those two guys are truly important to this team as we've seen.

I think we'll be able to judge this team for next year once they return from injury.

Next year's lineup should be looked at like this:

Moulson-JT-Okposo
FA LW- Schremp- Comeau
Grabs-Neilsen-Bailey (not necessarily the 3rd line, but they'll play a third line shut down role
Martin- Konopka- Sim (if no better option available)

Streit-Eaton
Amac-Hamonic (work well together)
Wishart-Jurcina

DP
Lawson

Let Poulin and Koski develop, no reason to rush them. Garth needs to go out and get another winger, preferably a vet with some experience and one responsible in his own zone if playing with those two. This season should be about gaining experience as a team. I know a lot of people talk about bringing these kids up in a losing mentality but I dont buy that for a second. Anybody whose played sports knows that losing sucks. I feel theres two types of players, players who roll over and die when they're losing and players who work that much harder to keep from losing. From all accounts, our guys are the second. If they lose, so be it, as long as they learn from their losses and work hard to prevent them in the future. Losing could be just as good a teacher as winning.

Sry this went a little off topic, got started thinking bout next year which kinda sucks and went with it. Also, I'm not advocating losing. I'd love for us to play into a playoff spot but thats unlikely. We should use this season for what its worth and thats learning how to win for the future.

Islesny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:34 PM
center55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
Did you not notice where I credited him for having a few good games? Or were you just blinded by the fact that I still think he won't be a consistently good goaltender at this point?

Now, will he come "back" and prove me wrong? Maybe and then I'll take back what I said, but until that point, he's had about 4 good games. That's it. He's 5-6-4 (with 2 wins and 2 OTL's coming from when the team was on fire). Not spectacular and he's not putting up #1 stats either.

I'm sorry I don't think DiPietro is under consideration for the Vezina this year like you do. But, the fact remains, with him being anointed as our #1 goaltender, the New York Islanders are officially in tanking mode. They just traded away our capable, healthy goaltender (which I agree with, for once, but didn't think it'd happen now) for one who has never had a full season (and isn't ready for one) in 3 years.

Nah, it's ok though, let's just waste the season at this point. You can still root, root, root for the home team.

Hey just saying that 5-6-4 is a whole lot better than 6-12-2 which was Roloson's record in games he started. I understand that Rollie played better than DP however as TB will soon find out he is an average goaltender and not much of an upgrade from what they already have IMO. I love this trade for the Islanders, we get a young stud defenseman for a 42 tear old goalie, and we also give Rollie one last shot at the cup.

center55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:35 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
I really find this trade INSULTING after the Isles had a 6-1-1 run in the last 8. What is Wang doing here? I really think Wang's thrown in the towel after this one. It would really hurt to see this team tank until April.

After all that's gone on here in the last few years under Wang, trading a 41 year old goalie on the last year of his contract who won't be alive when we're contenders is insulting to you? Either you need to get some perspective or you just woke up from a coma.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:53 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Drive 4 5 View Post
THANK YOU..THANK YOU...SOMEBODY ELSE WHO GETS IT

same thing with Wiz....McCabe, Komosarik (sp) and others should be a available making it a buyers mkt...so he does it now beating people to the punch to insure the deal goes thru...plus Darth Snow/Wang know also they will be lucky to draw 5k to the games so in the same process they lower payroll.

I said on a few other threads and I'll say it again..this was a lost season b-4 the season even started with injuries so we might as well get the highest draft pick possible. After this season it will be 4 drafts/years of rebuilding and I strongly suspect that the Isles will be very aggressive, even overpaying for F/A this summer. Why am I this optimistic while the majority of Isles will be skeptical...is because of Money...wang finally got the favorable amendment to re negioate the terms of the lease which allows the isles/wang to profit on all the ancillary revenue stream..these are variable revenue streams meaning the more people that come to games the more money he makes...so basic logic dictates he's gonna have to go out and get quality F/A....along with a very low payroll to meet the cap floor to get 10k, 12k even 15k people back in the stands....he can't possibly be willing to stand pat this summer and have only crickets show up with the risk of losing his entire fan base even if they do go to queens, losing his players..every single player will want to get out of there, losing and leverage with the TOH/Nassau Politicians for a modified LHP. Plus I really don't think Darth Snow would actively participate in the destruction of a NHL franchise. Say what you want about him but he's a hockey player and loves the sport to much to that. wang didn't spend 180 mil to become the evil villian and in the process lose 180Mil in investment and lose another say 50 mil in operating losses.

So Isles Fans...put down the knife, step away from the ledge...this will be the last season of this and going forward starting next season we will see the fruits and progress of all this pain.

I love your post, but the problem is that you used phrases like "logic dictates" and "Wang can't possibly be willing to stand pat this summer and have only crickets."

I really think you're underestimating how pathetic Wang is as an owner. Since when does Wang EVER rely on logic? He doesn't...And there doesn't seem to be any limit to the insane/stupid moves he will make.

So I won't take myself away from the ledge until I see results ON THE ICE as in...Winning a playoff series.

Old
01-02-2011, 10:08 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
So, Roloson was finally given the respect he deserves. I can credit Snow for that.

DiPietro as our #1? Officially puts the New York Islanders into tank mode. And yes, to all the apologists, he's had the same amount of good games as I have fingers on one hand.

This season has officially become a "let's see what our prospects and injured players have" year, which is 100% an absolute disgrace to the franchise and fanbase.

Sorry to hear that. How'd you lose them? Car accident?

Old
01-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin of Bates View Post
This season has officially become a "let's see what our prospects and injured players have" year, which is 100% an absolute disgrace to the franchise and fanbase.
If I were a season ticket holder, I'd be pretty upset right now. It's one thing to suck or whatever, it's another to trade away any semblance of NHL talent on the team midway through the season.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Augscura

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Ahhh because we have 4 fingers on one hand plus a thumb and you're imply DP hasn't played 4 good games so therefore assuming GoB lost some fingers at some point in his life. I get it.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:45 PM
TheIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiedokie21 View Post
I like this trade. A lot of people are acting like our back up tenders are Joey Mac and Yann Danis. We still got Ricky, whose looked good of lately, even tho he had a brief stint on the DL, and Lawson whose a pretty good prospect in his own right. He looked pretty good in his one game, albeit one game. Im not of the belief that this is an attempt to throw away the rest of the season. Sure, they're most likely not gonna win as many games as with roli, but they still have a good chance on improving on last season. Its tough to really judge thvis team because of the losses of Streit and Okposo. Those two guys are truly important to this team as we've seen.

I think we'll be able to judge this team for next year once they return from injury.

Next year's lineup should be looked at like this:

Moulson-JT-Okposo
FA LW- Schremp- Comeau
Grabs-Neilsen-Bailey (not necessarily the 3rd line, but they'll play a third line shut down role
Martin- Konopka- Sim (if no better option available)

Streit-Eaton
Amac-Hamonic (work well together)
Wishart-Jurcina

DP
Lawson

Let Poulin and Koski develop, no reason to rush them. Garth needs to go out and get another winger, preferably a vet with some experience and one responsible in his own zone if playing with those two. This season should be about gaining experience as a team. I know a lot of people talk about bringing these kids up in a losing mentality but I dont buy that for a second. Anybody whose played sports knows that losing sucks. I feel theres two types of players, players who roll over and die when they're losing and players who work that much harder to keep from losing. From all accounts, our guys are the second. If they lose, so be it, as long as they learn from their losses and work hard to prevent them in the future. Losing could be just as good a teacher as winning.

Sry this went a little off topic, got started thinking bout next year which kinda sucks and went with it. Also, I'm not advocating losing. I'd love for us to play into a playoff spot but thats unlikely. We should use this season for what its worth and thats learning how to win for the future.
Thats assuming they resign moulson/jurcina/ whomever else is a fa on that list

I believe that squad there is one solid winger away from the playoffs

TheIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Devilman3030

Not trying to stir the Pot here. I know being a Devils fan my voice may not be entirely welcomed but I actually have a question. Why Trade your Top scoring Defense men James Wisniewski for draft picks. Then trade a Goalie for Another D-man? I feel like I'm missing something here

Devilman3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by center55 View Post
Hey just saying that 5-6-4 is a whole lot better than 6-12-2 which was Roloson's record in games he started. I understand that Rollie played better than DP however as TB will soon find out he is an average goaltender and not much of an upgrade from what they already have IMO. I love this trade for the Islanders, we get a young stud defenseman for a 42 tear old goalie, and we also give Rollie one last shot at the cup.
Roloson's record is not indicative of his play with this team. Just to note, out of his 14 losses, he's given up more than 3 goals 5 times. He's lost 5 games giving up 2 or less. Roloson has most certainly played better than DiPietro, as he should have, but he is definitely an upgrade over Dan Ellis and Mike Smith.

I don't mind the trade, as I'm not oblivious and knew (and expected) it to happen. I'm glad the Islanders showed the man some respect and traded him to a playoff team so he gets a shot at the Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles4lifeW00000 View Post

I believe that squad there is one solid winger away from the playoffs

Quote:

And, if I was a season ticket holder, I'd be more pissed at the extremely low ticket deals given out season after season when I'm locked in at a set rate. Coming from a guy who has seriously considered getting some type of plan, that has been the thing that always holds me back. I can go for a full 41 games at a much cheaper rate (in good seats) than a season ticket holder pays in half a season.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:22 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilman3030 View Post
Not trying to stir the Pot here. I know being a Devils fan my voice may not be entirely welcomed but I actually have a question. Why Trade your Top scoring Defense men James Wisniewski for draft picks. Then trade a Goalie for Another D-man? I feel like I'm missing something here
You make good points, but Wisniewski was a UFA who was probably not signing here. We were able to get a 2nd rounder when we paid a 3rd rounder to get him and he actually is pretty lousy defensively. The Wishart kid is a few years younger and at least we got "something" for our 41 year old goalie.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:34 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Wisniewski was a UFA to be...im betting that He told Garth he wasn't resigning...so instead of losing him for nothing...he moved him.

Rolo was also a UFA to be...with the Rick,Lawson,Poulin,Mikko Koskinen &Anders Nilsson waiting in the goalie pipeline...a move was needed to free up space.

Trust me i loved how Rolo played...but considering our weakness at D...getting a decent D prospect was absolutely necessary.

With all the goalies out there...im actually pleased we got something of substance for Rolo...besides Draft picks.

DaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Devilman3030

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
You make good points, but Wisniewski was a UFA who was probably not signing here. We were able to get a 2nd rounder when we paid a 3rd rounder to get him and he actually is pretty lousy defensively. The Wishart kid is a few years younger and at least we got "something" for our 41 year old goalie.

I didn't think he was that bad. However , those picks are only there worth if Montreal continues to sink. Since he joined there roster they do seem to be doing much better. I'm just wondering if they may have jumped the gun on him. The Rolli Trade makes sense if hes 41 and may call it quits after this year. I probably would to do the same, but, Idk. I wish you guys luck with it. Just let us Get the Adam Larrson pick lol

Old
01-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Devilman3030

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick View Post
Wisniewski was a UFA to be...im betting that He told Garth he wasn't resigning...so instead of losing him for nothing...he moved him.

Rolo was also a UFA to be...with the Rick,Lawson,Poulin,Mikko Koskinen &Anders Nilsson waiting in the goalie pipeline...a move was needed to free up space.

Trust me i loved how Rolo played...but considering our weakness at D...getting a decent D prospect was absolutely necessary.

With all the goalies out there...im actually pleased we got something of substance for Rolo...besides Draft picks.
I agree with that. Your weakness at D is with out question. Especially with the 3rd period.Seems to always happen. I also have to say Bridgeport does have a fine goalie factory out there. The Islanders are on there way. IF they can get at least 1 SCA(Stanley Cup Appearance) the Town of Hempstead and Wang may actually be able to keep the team in LI

Old
01-03-2011, 02:02 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Garth's parents were siblings. It's not something in the media guide, so no worries.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:05 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Bravo.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:19 AM
Isles Junkie

Where would you slot Wishart in the NYI top prospect list now? Sorry if it's been asked before.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 05:31 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Tampa Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
Don't even bother. Rick DiPietro is the second coming according to him.

28 games in the last 3 years, but he's the greatest....
Good one, because I've said all of those things.
Think before you post. And find out the definition of fan and get back to me.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 05:47 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Good one, because I've said all of those things.
Think before you post. And find out the definition of fan and get back to me.
fan is short for fanatic....so make fun of DP at your own risk