Old
01-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Colby Cohen
Back on the ice tomorrow. Supposed to fully participate in practice all week than to play in some games finally, here we go
As per his twitter, Cohen finally to get in some game action

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:20 PM
brewins09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
Thanks for the info. How is Colbourne looking these days?
Today - Okay, nothing major positive or negative.

brewins09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 07:51 AM
BruinsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
Thanks for the info. How is Colbourne looking these days?
Colborne right now first year is a poor man's Lee Goren. He doesn't use his size for any type of hitting, scared of going to the boards and getting into battles, and will always pass first.

BruinsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Went to the Monarchs game and I was shocked they left Schaef in for all 7 goals.

I echo another poster's sentiment, I have had enough of Yury Alexandrov and the pedestal some put him on. He was awful and looked lost and confused. I know some of their guys are fast, but at least do something rather than stand there like a pylon marking the end zone. He was not strong on the puck which was apparent when he coughed up the puck on another play that Moller grabbed and scored.

I thought Arniel was good. Colborne played well and initiated a lot of body contact. Roussel needs to pick his battles because he got killed by Justin Johnson. Jordan Caron was invisible to me. I only noticed him because I was looking for him.

It is really disappointing that Providence is this bad. They have the talent. I really think it's time for a coaching change.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat4537 View Post
Went to the Monarchs game and I was shocked they left Schaef in for all 7 goals.

I echo another poster's sentiment, I have had enough of Yury Alexandrov and the pedestal some put him on. He was awful and looked lost and confused. I know some of their guys are fast, but at least do something rather than stand there like a pylon marking the end zone. He was not strong on the puck which was apparent when he coughed up the puck on another play that Moller grabbed and scored.

I thought Arniel was good. Colborne played well and initiated a lot of body contact. Roussel needs to pick his battles because he got killed by Justin Johnson. Jordan Caron was invisible to me. I only noticed him because I was looking for him.

It is really disappointing that Providence is this bad. They have the talent. I really think it's time for a coaching change.
Even for an AHL team, Providence is very young, dominated by first- and second-year players. I had a feeling they were going to struggle for at the very least half a year.

After watching Alexandrov at development and training camp it was pretty obvious to me that he has talent but that it was going to take him a long time to adjust to the North American game; it drove me nuts when so many expected him to make the leap to the NHL right away. I recall Rask saying it took him a couple of years to really adjust not only to the game, but to all that goes with it, and Tuukka is a pretty sophisicated western European with a fantastic grasp of the English language. Alexandrov spoke next to no English when he arrived and I'm sure is still feeling very much a fish out of water. (I've lived in Europe and I can attest to what a strain on your system it is.)

At this stage, it's all about growing and learning. Of course, the P-Bruins followed up the Monarchs game with a solid win at Bridgeport. Typical. Two steps backward, one forward, and back and forth they go.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Marc Savard
06/15/2011. x3

Ugh, doesn't sound too good what our boys produce down there. So is it really the coach? Or aren't the players as good as one supposed?

Marc Savard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Savard View Post
Ugh, doesn't sound too good what our boys produce down there. So is it really the coach? Or aren't the players as good as one supposed?
Both, but a better coach would get more out of these guys

Saxon Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:21 AM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsHockey View Post
Colborne right now first year is a poor man's Lee Goren. He doesn't use his size for any type of hitting, scared of going to the boards and getting into battles, and will always pass first.
Didn't see yesterday's game but saw in the box score that he went the full Thornton again (0-0-0-0-0) ...

Good to see Hamill kicking it into gear a bit this weekend ... Caron too.

Looking forward to seeing Cohen ...

MillerTime 86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
Both, but a better coach would get more out of these guys
Agree. The talent is way overrated IMO, but the right coaching match would definitely help some of these guys to be more productive ...

MillerTime 86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Warbucks View Post
Agree. The talent is way overrated IMO, but the right coaching match would definitely help some of these guys to be more productive ...
Their last coach is looking for work.

Ratty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
The thing with Flash is a. Would he go back to the AHL to coach? and b. Would he come back in with the Bruins?

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:45 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat4537 View Post
The thing with Flash is a. Would he go back to the AHL to coach? and b. Would he come back in with the Bruins?
Pretty sure he is still officially employed by the Isles in some capacity? I thought he was removed as coach, but not fired from the organization?

I was also pretty sure that Gordon left on relatively good terms? He got a shot to be a head coach, and the B's already had Julien. I could see him coming back to the B's, depending on what he is doing in the New York organization (if he is still employed by them).

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:46 AM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Pretty sure he is still officially employed by the Isles in some capacity? I thought he was removed as coach, but not fired from the organization?

I was also pretty sure that Gordon left on relatively good terms? He got a shot to be a head coach, and the B's already had Julien. I could see him coming back to the B's, depending on what he is doing in the New York organization (if he is still employed by them).
The prospect guru of our board told me he is still an Isles employee.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Ratty

Quote:

You're probably right, GD. He obviously had a contract for services through the end of the season. Snow would have to consent to Gordon signing with another organization. And I doubt he'd be interested at this point in the PRO job. Maybe next year if he's not under contract elsewhere.

Ratty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 05:31 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I'm not a big Rob Murray fan (I'd rather see Cassidy as the head man), but the people putting it all on the coaching are ignoring a bigger and more disturbing picture. Remember that story (maybe by KPD?) about scouts not being impressed by what they saw here?

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Beesfan

A couple points:

1) I don't think the talent in Providence is bad, people just have to remember that no league is dominated by rookies. Good teams in the AHL employ good career minor league players, like Jason Krog or Trent Whitfield (injured for Bruins). I never expected Colborne and Sauve to carry us to a championship. They are there to get their feet wet.

2) Hamill continues to cling to life as a prospect. He now has a higher ppg than last year, without as much opportunity. That means he is still managing to make forward progress, in which case there is always the proverbial chance.

3) I personally would not jump on a coaching change yet; I don't think the players are good enough (yet) to expect a winning season.

4) Next year, Caron, Sauve, Colborne, and Arniel should all be back in Providence. They should also have Cunningham, and perhaps Hamill and Knackstedt back. Expectations will be much much higher.

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
A couple points:

1) I don't think the talent in Providence is bad, people just have to remember that no league is dominated by rookies. Good teams in the AHL employ good career minor league players, like Jason Krog or Trent Whitfield (injured for Bruins). I never expected Colborne and Sauve to carry us to a championship. They are there to get their feet wet.

2) Hamill continues to cling to life as a prospect. He now has a higher ppg than last year, without as much opportunity. That means he is still managing to make forward progress, in which case there is always the proverbial chance.

3) I personally would not jump on a coaching change yet; I don't think the players are good enough (yet) to expect a winning season.

4) Next year, Caron, Sauve, Colborne, and Arniel should all be back in Providence. They should also have Cunningham, and perhaps Hamill and Knackstedt back. Expectations will be much much higher.

I was expecting/hoping Providence would be better this year, but you are correct. It is tough for rookies and Providence has a lot of them.

Minor point--Knackstedt was traded to Florida in early December.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
. They have the talent. I really think it's time for a coaching change.
Aly...all due respect, but no they dont. The problem is people's expectations.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:39 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
I'm not a big Rob Murray fan (I'd rather see Cassidy as the head man), but the people putting it all on the coaching are ignoring a bigger and more disturbing picture. Remember that story (maybe by KPD?) about scouts not being impressed by what they saw here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Aly...all due respect, but no they dont. The problem is people's expectations.
Agreed.

Other than Caron, Sauve, and maybe Colborne (big question mark), where is the high end talent? I like Arniel and think that Bartkowski and Alexandrov have a chance to be good, but other than that the pickings are slim. Also, the goaltending is not great. When it is, you can hide a lot of things.

Next year, if Button, and possibly Knight or Spooner joined the talent already in PRO (along with guys like Cunningham and Randell), they would have a decent base.

Old
01-03-2011, 10:46 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Agreed.

Other than Caron, Sauve, and maybe Colborne (big question mark), where is the high end talent? I like Arniel and think that Bartkowski and Alexandrov have a chance to be good, but other than that the pickings are slim. Also, the goaltending is not great. When it is, you can hide a lot of things.

Next year, if Button, and possibly Knight or Spooner joined the talent already in PRO (along with guys like Cunningham and Randell), they would have a decent base.
even the "high-end" guys in providence aren't high-end. caron is a solid 2-way forward with a "thick" frame. maybe 25 goals in his best year. sauve may possibly be another marco sturm. colborne has serious skills but he plays like someone put weed in his meals. some good players mixed in with a lot of "meh" players. youthful enthusiasm aside, this isn't a playoff team.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
Meh, I just can't call his one goal in 28 games progression. What makes it worse is seeing that Logan Couture was taken right after him.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:12 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Agreed.

Unfortunately Knight and Spooner will have to return to junior hockey if they don't make the Boston roster. They were both born in January 1992 and will be too young for the AHL next year.

Forwards
Cunningham and Randell could have a shot at playing in Providence. That's it for the forward prospects unless the Bruins find other players in the trade market.

Defense
Ryan Button and Colby Cohen could be good additions on defense. Perhaps David Warsofsky or Tommy Cross will leave college early and play in Providence.

Ironically, after a whole lot of concern about the glut of forwards and lack of defensemen in the prospect ranks, the defense in Providence next season could end up better than the forwards.

Goaltenders
Unless one of Hutchinson, Dalton, etc. has a breakthrough, or a trade brings a good prospect in, the goaltending could still be a problem.

Old
01-04-2011, 02:19 AM
Alan Ryan

Question: is this P-Bruins sticky thread primarily for replacing GDT's/game discussions, or is it to be used for all discussions related to the farm team?

If it is for all things related to Providence (not my preference), then the thread title should be changed.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:17 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Question: is this P-Bruins sticky thread primarily for replacing GDT's/game discussions, or is it to be used for all discussions related to the farm team?

If it is for all things related to Providence (not my preference), then the thread title should be changed.
Who knows? I didn't see the original problem as to why it came to this......you know someone else will create threads asking questions about the P-Bruins in the non-sticky forum eventually anyway.....and GDT's are a natural place to go off on things.

Getting back to the players themselves, Arniel is a good example........he's my favorite player, but so was Nate Thompson, and I think their career paths will be the same.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:21 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Unfortunately Knight and Spooner will have to return to junior hockey if they don't make the Boston roster. They were both born in January 1992 and will be too young for the AHL next year.

Forwards
Cunningham and Randell could have a shot at playing in Providence. That's it for the forward prospects unless the Bruins find other players in the trade market.

Defense
Ryan Button and Colby Cohen could be good additions on defense. Perhaps David Warsofsky or Tommy Cross will leave college early and play in Providence.

Ironically, after a whole lot of concern about the glut of forwards and lack of defensemen in the prospect ranks, the defense in Providence next season could end up better than the forwards.

Goaltenders
Unless one of Hutchinson, Dalton, etc. has a breakthrough, or a trade brings a good prospect in, the goaltending could still be a problem.
My bad...I thought they both had the requisite age and years in Jrs to go to the AHL.