HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Ellis/Mike Smith...any interest?

Old
01-02-2011, 11:48 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Now that the team with arguably the crappiest goaltending in the league has found an adequate replacement. I see this, not as an opportunity to get one of Smith/Ellis, but as an open opportunity to waive Leighton/Bob/Boosh with confidence that they won't be poached.
Very good point. I'm at the point where I'd think about giving Leighton and Bob a game each, and whoever performs worse goes to the Phantoms.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
But what isn't being overlooked is that 90% of the people that post on here were naming Dan Ellis as someone they would like on this team. Whether or not they thought he was the savior in net is irrelevant. Every time there was mention of a free agent goalie this offseason it was the same names, Mason, Turco, Ellis, or Nabby.
And they are ALL playing like garbage this year. Great non-signings by Homer.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:05 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Of all of these, the only one who would have upset me was Nabokov, due to the high price tag. The others were, arguably, as good a gamble as resigning Leighton, and one never knows how well they would have performed behind the Flyers D.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
No need to pretend that Leighton or Boucher wouldn't be getting lit up behind that defense. They're only 2 points behind the Flyers with 2 wins in our building.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
No need to pretend that Leighton or Boucher wouldn't be getting lit up behind that defense. They're only 2 points behind the Flyers with 2 wins in our building.
And they have scored 121 while giving up 122 for a minus one differential... an odd stat for a team so high up in the league standings... Must be winning close and losing big.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
And they have scored 121 while giving up 122 for a minus one differential... an odd stat for a team so high up in the league standings... Must be winning close and losing big.
There's usually one team that manages to make some noise while having a relatively big minus differential. Ottawa was that team last year. It's always the sign of a pretender though.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:11 AM
BringBackStevens

Yeah that goal differential is a definite red flag

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:16 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It's a sign of a pretender, yes. I don't believe I picked the Lightning to make the playoffs, because their defense is not going to hold up. But to say that passing on Ellis for Leighton (which isn't what happened, we signed Leighton first and Ellis' rights had been traded) as if it was some stroke of genius is just people stroking their own egos. Had Leighton went to the Sharks as he was rumored to 2 days before the Flyers signed him, Ellis may have been here, and probably not looking as bad as he does on Tampa. After all, the philosophy here is that any idiot can be a goaltender and win a Stanley Cup. In fact, as we all know, maybe some choose to ignore, Holmgren's preference was previously Nabokov. And if rumors are of any value, we're supposedly in on him.

Old
01-03-2011, 11:17 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Yes but their D consists of Randy Jones. I don't want those goalies, but still their D sucks

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I know our goalies have struggled the last couple of weeks but good God no. I will take my chances with what we have over those 2, and I dont like Leighton.
Smith is enigmatic.

The reality is that we need to be giving Bob games and developing him into an actual front line goalie at this point. He's shown the talent level and the ability to compete at this level, now you need to give him the games to continue on that path.

Additionally... Leighton shouldn't be getting in games right now over Boucher or Bob. They've played too well the first half of the year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:45 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
It's a sign of a pretender, yes. I don't believe I picked the Lightning to make the playoffs, because their defense is not going to hold up. But to say that passing on Ellis for Leighton (which isn't what happened, we signed Leighton first and Ellis' rights had been traded) as if it was some stroke of genius is just people stroking their own egos. Had Leighton went to the Sharks as he was rumored to 2 days before the Flyers signed him, Ellis may have been here, and probably not looking as bad as he does on Tampa. After all, the philosophy here is that any idiot can be a goaltender and win a Stanley Cup. In fact, as we all know, maybe some choose to ignore, Holmgren's preference was previously Nabokov. And if rumors are of any value, we're supposedly in on him.
What do you think the odds are of Nabokov reaching us? I'd be all for acquiring him for the right cap hit and length, but we could sign him to the perfect deal and he'd likely get snatched on waivers.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Jester

Quote:
Mason has been fine given the limited opportunities he's had since October (when he played well). He has just been supplanted by a guy playing lights out.

Turco has been Turco. An .899 SVPCT isn't great, but neither is it "garbage." However, Turco is a volatile guy as far as production, and has been for some time.

Ellis... TB is where goalies go to die apparently.

Nabokov... hasn't played a puck in the NHL.

Old
01-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Yeah that goal differential is a definite red flag
Eh, their team SVPCT is .888... if Roloson can get 'em over .900 that will help the differential considerably. Their D is not great, but it isn't as bad as some make it out to be... and comparable to us a couple years back, they can outscore their shortcomings back there. However, Hedman is just going to get better with time.

They have killer special teams, however (which is dangerous for us given how we like to take penalties). They also have a scary top 6 if they can ever get 'em healthy and playing well.

Old
01-03-2011, 11:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
What do you think the odds are of Nabokov reaching us? I'd be all for acquiring him for the right cap hit and length, but we could sign him to the perfect deal and he'd likely get snatched on waivers.
Depends what his number is going to be. I'd rather be the team trying to claim him off waivers.

Old
01-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Jester

Quote:
Depends what his number is going to be. I'd rather be the team trying to claim him off waivers.
Well, given that we have potentially the final shot at claiming him... wouldn't count on it.

Old
01-03-2011, 12:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, given that we have potentially the final shot at claiming him... wouldn't count on it.
Probably wouldn't make a difference anyways, because if we signed him he'd have to pass through everyone anyways on waivers.

Old
01-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
Probably wouldn't make a difference anyways, because if we signed him he'd have to pass through everyone anyways on waivers.
Yeah, I don't see how we can wind up with him. Given that he'd have to be on a quite modest salary (you figure around 1M), someone would grab him just to deny us.

Old
01-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Eh, their team SVPCT is .888... if Roloson can get 'em over .900 that will help the differential considerably. Their D is not great, but it isn't as bad as some make it out to be... and comparable to us a couple years back, they can outscore their shortcomings back there. However, Hedman is just going to get better with time.

They have killer special teams, however (which is dangerous for us given how we like to take penalties). They also have a scary top 6 if they can ever get 'em healthy and playing well.
I definitely agree that people underrate Tampa's defense (I'm guessing because it lacks a true number one and big names), but it still can't hold a candle to the defense of some of the top playoff teams.

They're definitely a team that can cause some noise in the playoffs and I wouldn't want to face 'em in the first round, but I can't see them being a legitimate threat for the Cup. Negative goal differential and they don't stand out in any area except their top six and PP. Their goaltending is pretty mediocre even assuming that a 41 year old Roloson can handle a true starter's workload, that defense isn't anything special and can't hold up to the defenses of the better playoff teams out there, and I can't remember anything that makes their forward depth beyond their top six special.

They're a scary team to face, but they just seem like pretenders to me. A team capable of making some noise, but not winning it all.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:14 PM
jb**

Quote:

This is another thing people don’t consider when looking at the goalie “stats”. The pk is middle of the road. They take a lot of penalties and I dont see that changing that much. Having a better goalie would also help out that area as well. Part of the reason for the bad pk is that the goalies dont come up as big as they should imo.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:16 PM
IrishSniper87

Nabakov/Bobrovski

solid combo

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see how we can wind up with him. Given that he'd have to be on a quite modest salary (you figure around 1M), someone would grab him just to deny us.
Depends if others have the cap space. I'm sure someone has some, but others in direct competition with us don't have the cap room to snag a goalie for the hell of it.

Old
01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
kicksave27

I liked Mike Smith alot when he first got his shot with the bolts, but he's had the concussion problems, and just the evils of playing behind the tampa D along with torts shredding his confidence. I think he could still be a decent backup someplace with a good team.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:10 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Same, but as Jester said, that's not likely. I think the Flyers might as well try signing him. If it works, woot, if it doesn't, it's not a huge deal. Unless of course he transforms into some goaltending god and ends up beating us in the playoffs. Actually, maybe we should just stand pat.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I definitely agree that people underrate Tampa's defense (I'm guessing because it lacks a true number one and big names), but it still can't hold a candle to the defense of some of the top playoff teams.

They're definitely a team that can cause some noise in the playoffs and I wouldn't want to face 'em in the first round, but I can't see them being a legitimate threat for the Cup. Negative goal differential and they don't stand out in any area except their top six and PP. Their goaltending is pretty mediocre even assuming that a 41 year old Roloson can handle a true starter's workload, that defense isn't anything special and can't hold up to the defenses of the better playoff teams out there, and I can't remember anything that makes their forward depth beyond their top six special.

They're a scary team to face, but they just seem like pretenders to me. A team capable of making some noise, but not winning it all.
They're not a real contender in the East just because they'll give up too many goals against the better offensive teams (us, WSH, PIT most notably) to survive three rounds most likely... but they definitely have the offense to take down a big boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
This is another thing people don’t consider when looking at the goalie “stats”. The pk is middle of the road. They take a lot of penalties and I dont see that changing that much. Having a better goalie would also help out that area as well. Part of the reason for the bad pk is that the goalies dont come up as big as they should imo.
Are you talking about the Bolts? They have the 7th ranked PK in the league... combined special teams down there have to be among the best in the NHL. Amongst their forwards they have some great PKers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I liked Mike Smith alot when he first got his shot with the bolts, but he's had the concussion problems, and just the evils of playing behind the tampa D along with torts shredding his confidence. I think he could still be a decent backup someplace with a good team.
Well, I think Smith also suffers (similar to Ricky D) from trying to do a bit too much out of the net at times... who knows though, he's shown the ability to play in this league. This year has been an absolute disaster, however.

Old
01-03-2011, 06:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Same, but as Jester said, that's not likely. I think the Flyers might as well try signing him. If it works, woot, if it doesn't, it's not a huge deal. Unless of course he transforms into some goaltending god and ends up beating us in the playoffs. Actually, maybe we should just stand pat.

I wonder if there is some loophole or bonus they can stick in there as a poison pill where someone would be stuck giving him some sort of lump sum. That's one reason Jason Spezza keeps not being traded from the Senators.