HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings-Canucks Rose Bowl Winter Classic 2012

Old
01-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Monarchist

vCash: 500
Kings-Canucks Rose Bowl Winter Classic 2012

2012, New Years Day is a Sunday so the Rose Bowl football game will be played on the 2nd. The NHL could swoop in and steal the spotlight. The Kings and Canucks are a great matchup, meeting often in the playoffs. Both teams are very likely to be good next year. L.A. is a huge market and Vancouver both has an NBA team and is conveniently located on the coast so some Americans know where it is. The NHL would get to involve the Western Conference and a Canadian team in the Winter Classic without killing ratings with Calgary or Edmonton.

L.A.-NYR is a terrible idea since it's just two points in the standings with no rivalry. LAK-VAN is a meaningful game that will have emotion no matter where it's played. The Ducks could work instead of Vancouver.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:48 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Their is something kind of important going on there that day.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
The Coliseum would be a better pick for a venue

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:53 PM
koncepts

Send a message via Yahoo to koncepts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
The Coliseum would be a better pick for a venue
I'd say the only venue

koncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:00 PM
SLang

The problem I have with having the winter classic here is that everywhere else they get huge numbers of fans....60,000, 70,000, etc. I have a strong feeling you wouldn't draw much beyond 20,000 for this in LA. Would look bad for LA and the league.

I hate to say it but if this were to go down and be successful it would be better to play the game in Vancouver.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:16 PM
onlyalad

The game will not be played at the Rose Bowl because it takes weeks to set up and take down. The Coliseum is too big. AEG would worry about a sell out. Dodgers stadium has the history and Anaheim has better site lines (it is taller so better shade) but the NHL likes football stadiums.

While I agree that a Winter Classic in LA would have to be in a year that the Rose Bowl is on Jan 2nd, AEG won't push for the Kings in a Winter Classic until they know what is going on with the downtown football stadium. They are hoping to have a stadium built by 2016. The next date for the Rose bowl on Jan 2 is 2017.

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:25 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
The problem I have with having the winter classic here is that everywhere else they get huge numbers of fans....60,000, 70,000, etc. I have a strong feeling you wouldn't draw much beyond 20,000 for this in LA. Would look bad for LA and the league.

I hate to say it but if this were to go down and be successful it would be better to play the game in Vancouver.
Canadian teams are getting their own outdoor game so Vancouver is not an option. I would guess that the spectical of it all the game would help the numbers. If the Ducks were the other team and were doing well plus the people in town to see the Rose Bowl (on Jan 2nd) may get tickets. I think they could sell 60-70K

Old
01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I'd love to see Kings vs Avs at Mile High. Get both these teams into the 2nd round of the playoffs this year and maybe, just maybe, the league would consider something like that. Even then, I think Colorado has fallen off a bit in terms of attendence. I don't think we'll see a Winter Classic on the West Coast any time soon.

On a side note, I was thinking about the Winter Classic and how they could keep it "fresh" every year. That would be cool if they did something like having a rematch of the previous season's Stanley Cup Final at a neutral site. That way it gives EVERY team a chance to participate and they get to keep it in more of a hockey market. Maybe include that with All Star weekend and do the skill competition or something? I don't know.. just thinking of ways to not see the same old thing every year.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

It'll never happen in Pasadena. The Rose Bowl cannot be adequately prepared for the football game only one day after taking down the ice rink. Look at that football field and the grooming they do to prepare it. Those groundskeepers want it to be the prettiest looking field in football every year. It is prepared with extraordinary care.

For the Winter Classic ever to come here, maybe it would be the Coliseum, maybe Dodger Stadium, but those are giant, giant maybes. Basically I think a new ice age will have to hit our planet first before that game ever comes to any so-called warm-weather NHL city.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:35 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
Canadian teams are getting their own outdoor game so Vancouver is not an option. I would guess that the spectical of it all the game would help the numbers. If the Ducks were the other team and were doing well plus the people in town to see the Rose Bowl (on Jan 2nd) may get tickets. I think they could sell 60-70K
Yeah, people don't seem to understand this is a game meant to push the game in AMERICA and make the NHL money. If you've never been to Vancouver then you must know it rains constantly, it's the Pacific Northwest. Not going to happen. The factor in nobody in America cares about a Kings-Canucks game other than the fans of those teams. Kings-Ducks? Again, nobody cares. Kings-Avs? Nobody cares. You need to remove yourself from being a fan of the team and think about what NBC wants if you want a valid opinion on the Winter Classic. There is a reason Crosby and Ovechkin were picked for this game, showcasing 2 of the greatest players in the game=ratings. And all of us know Duck fans aren't exactly known for filling up the seats. Kings fans do a great job of selling out even when the team was God awful but once the Ducks aren't in first place the khaki wearing wing tipped fans stop showing up.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post

They should make it Kings/Ducks then

The way I see it, if 18k can make it to a average/ random Kings game, then there is easily a pool of 50,000. (If not more)

Add in the Ducks and you'll get another pool of 30K-50K

Not to mention the transplants from Philly, Pitt, etc who attend their former home teams in large numbers when they play here and will likely show up for something like a winter classic

Old
01-03-2011, 01:37 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I'd love to see Kings vs Avs at Mile High. Get both these teams into the 2nd round of the playoffs this year and maybe, just maybe, the league would consider something like that. Even then, I think Colorado has fallen off a bit in terms of attendence. I don't think we'll see a Winter Classic on the West Coast any time soon.

On a side note, I was thinking about the Winter Classic and how they could keep it "fresh" every year. That would be cool if they did something like having a rematch of the previous season's Stanley Cup Final at a neutral site. That way it gives EVERY team a chance to participate and they get to keep it in more of a hockey market. Maybe include that with All Star weekend and do the skill competition or something? I don't know.. just thinking of ways to not see the same old thing every year.
I'd like to see a super game between the winner of the KHL and the defending Stanley Cup Champions.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I'd like to see a super game between the winner of the KHL and the defending Stanley Cup Champions.
That would be awesome. Would they just ice over the entire football field to accomodate the international sized rink? They could play bandy or whatever the hell that game is called!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Any Winter Classic in California would be a fail . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:59 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
They should make it Kings/Ducks then

The way I see it, if 18k can make it to a average/ random Kings game, then there is easily a pool of 50,000. (If not more)

Add in the Ducks and you'll get another pool of 30K-50K

Not to mention the transplants from Philly, Pitt, etc who attend their former home teams in large numbers when they play here and will likely show up for something like a winter classic
I agree that getting 60-70k won't be the problem. The issue is NBC (or whoever has the TV rights) wants a game that will get ratings. Pens have gone twice because of Sid. The fact that the ratings were higher this year just told NBC that they were right putting Sid and OV in a game together. They would put the same two team next year if they could.

Doughty and Fowler are getting some national interest, but not enough for NBC to move the game west of the Mississippi River.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Any Winter Classic in California would be a fail . .
This about sums it up.

Just to many huge things going against it, the biggest being that hardly anyone in SoCal gives a crap about hockey, nevermind the fact that there isn't a venue to play it at.

Plus this thing just wouldn't look cool being played in 70 degree weather with fans in the stands wearing shorts, the weather element plays a large part in making the game so special.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
That would be awesome. Would they just ice over the entire football field to accomodate the international sized rink? They could play bandy or whatever the hell that game is called!
I think that game would have to be indoors, those Russian superstars are prima donnas.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:22 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
I agree that getting 60-70k won't be the problem. The issue is NBC (or whoever has the TV rights) wants a game that will get ratings. Pens have gone twice because of Sid. The fact that the ratings were higher this year just told NBC that they were right putting Sid and OV in a game together. They would put the same two team next year if they could.

Doughty and Fowler are getting some national interest, but not enough for NBC to move the game west of the Mississippi River.
Doughty vs Fowler would be a pretty big step down from Ovechkin vs Crosby. Why not make it a challenge game where the winning team gets about 5 teams and 5 different venues to pick from? Televise the conference where it's announced. A little far fetched but it's an idea. My guess is the next Winter Classic will be Rangers-Canadians at Yankee Stadium. Looking at the standings and the teams that have already participated I'm struggling to find another great matchup so I'll throw in the Canadian team despite everything I've heard that NBC wants American teams only.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:46 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Doughty vs Fowler would be a pretty big step down from Ovechkin vs Crosby. Why not make it a challenge game where the winning team gets about 5 teams and 5 different venues to pick from? Televise the conference where it's announced. A little far fetched but it's an idea. My guess is the next Winter Classic will be Rangers-Canadians at Yankee Stadium. Looking at the standings and the teams that have already participated I'm struggling to find another great matchup so I'll throw in the Canadian team despite everything I've heard that NBC wants American teams only.
I agree that Doughty and Fowler are not Sid and Ov by a mile, but maybe by 2017. You can forget about any Canadian teams being in this game, they will have their own game and get to play every 2-4 years (only 6 Canadian teams for now). Rangers may be the Kings best chance to get in one of these soon. They will hype the Vegas game and try and bring Wayne back into the spotlight. However, I think the next "Western" game will have Detroit vs St Louis or some other fairly close team

Old
01-03-2011, 02:58 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
They can't even agree on Maxim Kitsyns contract let alone a super series between the two champs.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:00 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmondsFan View Post
They can't even agree on Maxim Kitsyns contract let alone a super series between the two champs.
They must have agreed on something, he is joining Missusaga (Sp?) next week.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:22 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Really? That would be awesome! Do you have a link to this. Everything I heave heard has had it up in the air. KHL saying no way... Miss-whatever begging!

Old
01-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Didn't he pretty much say he wasn't going to come back from the World Juniors and just stay in Canada?

Old
01-03-2011, 03:34 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Didn't he pretty much say he wasn't going to come back from the World Juniors and just stay in Canada?
He said that originally but then the official KHL tweet came out that it wasn't happening and Kitsyn backed down on that statement.

I have searched the net for a bit and the only things I am finding from people like Hammond, TSN and the Mississauga beat writer (people in the know, not having "inside sources" on twitter) say it is 50/50.

Here are the links:
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../16692771.html

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/01/02...to-semifinals/

Old
01-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
The Russian Mafia, also known as the KHL made him an offer he couldn't refuse

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote