HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers waive Michael Leighton; cleared waivers, sent to Phantoms (AHL)

Old
01-03-2011, 12:52 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
What happens if he clears but isnt assigned anywhere? Is he still on the roster and does his cap hit count?

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:55 PM
MrHockey1982

vCash: 500
I am happy that he is gone and I believe part of the reason this was done was to help us sign Leino now. Just hope Bob can fight through the adversity and be the goalie we hope he is...

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:56 PM
JABEE

http://www.cinchcast.com/anthonysan37/149479

Anthony SanFillipo posted audio of the press conference call with Paul Holmgren.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
I agree. Why would they make this move now? Something is either going down or they are trying to free up some surplus cap space to accrue for the trade deadine. Although I'm not sure how prorated contracts work. They could be making a trade soon though.
I believe it may be done now to allow a two goalie practice schedule rather than taking time away from at least two of them... And if Bob and Boosh have not established an upper hand, a semi-starting goalie would have to give up practice time... And do they really want to rob regular practice from a young promising goalie who is probably the future of this team?

They have not had any practice over the last two days going into the Wings game as it was, due to travel... why take away even more due to an excess goalie?

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
What happens if he clears but isnt assigned anywhere? Is he still on the roster and does his cap hit count?
Yes and yes.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Jester

People still want to defend that signing? And, no, sending him down does not make it OK.

Next?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:13 PM
infidelappel*

Listening to that press conference audio, this doesn't sound good.

Holmgren said they just want Leighton to get playing games and get back up to speed, and the only way to do that is to get him playing for the Phantoms.

So basically, it sounds like this is to get him back in shape so they can recall him later.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post

Holmgren said they just want Leighton to get playing games and get back up to speed, and the only way to do that is to get him playing for the Phantoms.

So basically, it sounds like this is to get him back in shape so they can recall him later.
Maybe... but what's he supposed to say? Leighton sucks, has been hurt all year, is signed to a ridiculous contract (which I gave him, I know)... will someone please take him off our hands?

Old
01-03-2011, 01:16 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Thanks for the audio!

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:22 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Maybe... but what's he supposed to say? Leighton sucks, has been hurt all year, is signed to a ridiculous contract (which I gave him, I know)... will someone please take him off our hands?
He's obviously not gonna come out and say he's been terrible and we don't want him.

But given Holmgren's track record, which do you think is more likely? To me this has every indication of being another boneheaded move int he making.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:24 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun
Holmgren via conf call, on trying to trade Leighton, I talked around a little bit, but there was nothing there.''
6 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Leighton has zero trade value right now. we would probably have to give up a draft pick with him to acquire future consiterations.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
He's obviously not gonna come out and say he's been terrible and we don't want him.

But given Holmgren's track record, which do you think is more likely? To me this has every indication of being another boneheaded move int he making.
Maybe, but you have to figure he's learned the whole re-entry thing at this point... and saddling the team with two years of dead cap space would be awful.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

Homer was merely being polite and kind IMO... He wasn't going to say anything to rip the guy.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Maybe, but you have to figure he's learned the whole re-entry thing at this point... and saddling the team with two years of dead cap space would be awful.
See, one would hope that....but at this point, I really don't trust Holmgren.

He said in the press call that he talked around on maybe trading Leighton and there was nothing available. I absolutely wouldn't put it past him to try to call Leighton up in a few months thinking there'd be no interest there, and then losing him. I really, really wouldn't be surprised in the least. Hopefully he's learned, but I'm just not sure with him.

After all, he saddled us with three years of dead cap already:

Old
01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Viller

About time. Now just get Nodl off this team and we'll have an all NHL caliber roster.

edit: Why all this talk about a trade? The guy was picked up on waivers and was nothing special. Boucher did just as good as he did last year, they both suck. They just kept the cheapest option. Hopefully that means more playing time for Bobrovsky, the kid wont get back up to speed with 3 games played in a month.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:32 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Definitely a positive move for the team, though the celebrations of seeing the last of Leighton are way too premature. This just gives Holmgren options and another Jones muck-up is not entirely impossible. If Leighton goes to the Phantoms, he has to stay there.

While it's not "fair" to judge Leighton on a single game back from injury, nobody said that professional sports has to be fair. Leighton was the third option in a 2-goalie sport and his price tag is desperately needed elsewhere.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:32 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Lets not see another Jones **** up Homer.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
About time. Now just get Nodl off this team and we'll have an all NHL caliber roster.
Nodl has more than justified his roster spot. He's probably playing a bit over his head with Richards, but so it goes.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Ryker

Man, I hope this gets resolved and that someone picks him up. I'm not holding my hopes up, though. As far as the move itself, well, someone has to go, and being that Boosh is playing really good at the moment and we have a long-term prospect in Bobrovsky, Leighton is the obvious choice hands down, especially taking into account his contract.

How long is he going to be on waivers? I'm not too familiar with this, to be honest.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Definitely a positive move for the team, though the celebrations of seeing the last of Leighton are way too premature. This just gives Holmgren options and another Jones muck-up is not entirely impossible. If Leighton goes to the Phantoms, he has to stay there.

While it's not "fair" to judge Leighton on a single game back from injury, nobody said that professional sports has to be fair. Leighton was the third option in a 2-goalie sport and his price tag is desperately needed elsewhere.
They are also in zero rush (unless another move is imminent) to actually send Leighton down. However, this appears to be a clear sign that they intend for Bob/Boucher to be their tandem for the rest of the year.

Old
infidelappel*

Quote:
Not sure if serious...

Old
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Man, I hope this gets resolved and that someone picks him up. I'm not holding my hopes up, though. As far as the move itself, well, someone has to go, and being that Boosh is playing really good at the moment and we have a long-term prospect in Bobrovsky, Leighton is the obvious choice hands down, especially taking into account his contract.

How long is he going to be on waivers? I'm not too familiar with this, to be honest.
I believe it is 48 hours.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

On the upside, with so little need for a goalie of his ilk in the NHL at this point, if there were an emergency where the Flyers needed his services -- once he was back in full game shape -- there would be less chance of his being claimed on recall... BUT, there is always the chance that the reduced salary and Cap space PLUS the chance to stick it to the Flyers would make claiming him desirable to some team later on... Personally I wouldn't take a chance on recalling him ever.

Old
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
What is your problem with Nodl? He's a good young player who worked to develop his all around game, and now his offense is starting to come around too. He's big, fast, hits, forechecks, plays good D and used on the PK. He can play in the top 9 on any team in the league right now, as he is with the Flyers.

At least Laviolette can recognize his talent, effort and development, even if you are incapable of it.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Necessary.
Agreed. I appreciate Leighton for the run, but this was a necessary move.

It's amazing to me that both goalies from the SCF are no loner (in essence) with their respective teams.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote