HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers waive Michael Leighton; cleared waivers, sent to Phantoms (AHL)

Old
01-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
On the upside, with so little need for a goalie of his ilk in the NHL at this point, if there were an emergency where the Flyers needed his services -- once he was back in full game shape -- there would be less chance of his being claimed on recall... BUT, there is always the chance that the reduced salary and Cap space PLUS the chance to stick it to the Flyers would make claiming him desirable to some team later on... Personally I wouldn't take a chance on recalling him ever.
He will float back to the surface after the season is over (pretty sure)... so they could theoretically have him as the backup next year.

However, calling him up this season if they send him down would be even dumber than the Randy Jones debacle (that was only one season).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:38 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
What is your problem with Nodl? He's a good young player who worked to develop his all around game, and now his offense is starting to come around too. He's big, fast, hits, forechecks, plays good D and used on the PK. He can play in the top 9 on any team in the league right now, as he is with the Flyers.

At least Laviolette can recognize his talent, effort and development, even if you are incapable of it.
Yeah, the ****? Nodl is developing nicely and doing some great work for basically his first real season here. I'm incredibly impressed by him.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Luuuuuuu

This was bound to happen sooner or later. The Flyers couldn't have kept 3 goalies on the roster and they way Bobrosky and Boucher were playing earlier in the season Leighton was the odd man out.

Luuuuuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Nodl has more than justified his roster spot. He's probably playing a bit over his head with Richards, but so it goes.
anyone that plays with Richards and JVR/Giroux, will put up points eventually. Those guys are some of the most talented players in the league. The team has better options internally.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
They are also in zero rush (unless another move is imminent) to actually send Leighton down. However, this appears to be a clear sign that they intend for Bob/Boucher to be their tandem for the rest of the year.
In the press conference when asked Homer did say that they would be sending him down after he clears tomorrow.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:41 PM
JABEE

Would he have to be recalled in order to trade him?

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:42 PM
medicman

sweet!

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
It's about time. Thanks for last season, but who really wants to bet that it happens again with Leighton? It's time to move on. If he clears, does he just chill in Philly? We don't really have room in Adirondack.
I think Leighton will clear waivers. If he does, he can go to Adirondack. Except for Backlund, there aren't any real NHL prospects there. Riopel is the longest of longshots.

Let Leighton play in the AHL and get back in shape. Then he can be a Black Ace in the playoffs, with Walker and Syvret.

IIRC, he can be recalled to the Flyers on an emergency basis without clearing waivers, if Bob or Boosh get hurt, so there's no risk of losing him on recall waivers.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Yeah, the ****? Nodl is developing nicely and doing some great work for basically his first real season here. I'm incredibly impressed by him.
I don't know why some people fail to realize that every player develops in their own way and on their own schedule. Mike Knuble was lousy until he turned 28.... Nodl has earned a job and credit to Lavy for sticking by him in camp when there was a chance Guerin would be signed to take his spot.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
In the press conference when asked Homer did say that they would be sending him down after he clears tomorrow.
Yeah, was just reading that... curious if Holmgren has thought this whole thing through entirely after reading that thing. If they send him down, it limits them considerably... and they need to resolve themselves to him being gone for the year and not making the Jones mistake again.

Old
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
anyone that plays with Richards and JVR/Giroux, will put up points eventually. Those guys are some of the most talented players in the league. The team has better options internally.
Yea, just ask Mika Pyorala! Sorry but Nodl has exceeded his expectations. Before the season I looked at him as a Powe type player, a guy who can forecheck and play a responsible shift. He's chipped in goals 9 goals in 30 games, which puts him on a 20 goal pace. He doesn't take too many penalties, he is reliable, and most nights he gives the effort you need to succeed in the league. You can see his confidence continuing to grow and hopefully he continues to play well, we need cheap 3rd line wingers who can produce.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SolidSnakeUS

Amazing ****ing news.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Nodl's points are a bit bloated for his talent, but he's been opportunistic and contributed and justified his spot on the roster. He can skate and has improved defensively. He's certainly better suited to a 3rd line (really, 4th line on this club) role, but he's not hurting the team as is.

Quote:
I don't know why some people fail to realize that every player develops in their own way and on their own schedule. Mike Knuble was lousy until he turned 28.... Nodl has earned a job and credit to Lavy for sticking by him in camp when there was a chance Guerin would be signed to take his spot.
No he wasn't. He was a solid checker/grinder, and then got a chance to play with one of the best setup men in the NHL and proved that he could contribute as a cog with elite players doing the dirty work.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:52 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Yeah, was just reading that... curious if Holmgren has thought this whole thing through entirely after reading that thing. If they send him down, it limits them considerably... and they need to resolve themselves to him being gone for the year and not making the Jones mistake again.
I told you, the more you listen to/read what he says in that conference call, the more Jones 2.0 seems possible.

He genuinely sounds like he wants Leighton to get back into form so they can bring him back up.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:58 PM
jb**

Quote:
Maybe, but you have to figure he's learned the whole re-entry thing at this point... and saddling the team with two years of dead cap space would be awful.
of all poeple you should know that he probably hasnt learned. he will give the usual speech how he doesnt deserve to be in the ahl and they wanted to give him a chance. would you really be surprised if they called him up?

I would also guess that they coach had some inoput on this as well or maybe he didnt. What do you think?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Yea, just ask Mika Pyorala! Sorry but Nodl has exceeded his expectations. Before the season I looked at him as a Powe type player, a guy who can forecheck and play a responsible shift. He's chipped in goals 9 goals in 30 games, which puts him on a 20 goal pace. He doesn't take too many penalties, he is reliable, and most nights he gives the effort you need to succeed in the league. You can see his confidence continuing to grow and hopefully he continues to play well, we need cheap 3rd line wingers who can produce.
I usually never hate on any players but Nodl has to be one of the first.

Hes the ultimate leech to me, like Ive said before, my biggest problem is that he never creates and can't pass worth a ****. And when he tries, its on the opposition's stick 100% of the time. Skate down the boards near the faceoff circle and force a pass in the slot or crease area, thats beer league **** right there. I know alot of players do this but it NEVER works for Nodl and he just keeps doing it... I can think of at least 3 or 4 times he did this in the Detroit game and neutered an oddman rush or good offensive chance. Why has he stopped being physical too? Oh yeah, he thinks hes a first line player now! Might as well give him 4mill right away!

Old
01-03-2011, 02:01 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:01 PM
DrHamburg

This is pretty terrible news imo. Jones 2.0 is about to happen again. Why not wait until it was absolutely needed? He would cost what? 775K for 2 years to be a backup if claimed on re-entry?

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Viller

Quote:
No he wasn't. He was a solid checker/grinder, and then got a chance to play with one of the best setup men in the NHL and proved that he could contribute as a cog with elite players doing the dirty work.
Nodl doesn't do this. He does not hit, he does go to the front of net though, can't take that away from him.

He used to win alot of board battles but that was against 3rd and 4th liners...

Old
01-03-2011, 02:03 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Even if he isn't claimed his cap hit is gone, right? That's all I care about.

Best of luck in your future endeavors (not here), Michael.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:05 PM
wildjack27ca

Glad to see Homer woke up and saw the light in 2011!!!!!!!!

wildjack27ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:06 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
I think Leighton will clear waivers. If he does, he can go to Adirondack. Except for Backlund, there aren't any real NHL prospects there. Riopel is the longest of longshots.

Let Leighton play in the AHL and get back in shape. Then he can be a Black Ace in the playoffs, with Walker and Syvret.

IIRC, he can be recalled to the Flyers on an emergency basis without clearing waivers, if Bob or Boosh get hurt, so there's no risk of losing him on recall waivers.
Thanks for mentioning the emergency recall, Larry. Under Emergency Recall, though, the CBA stipulates a player who is "loaned" to an affiliate organization. Would this be the case with Leighton?

Quote:
13.10.1 Emergency Recall.

(i) A player on loan to a Club of any league affiliated with the League may be recalled from such loan under emergency conditions at any time for the duration of the emergency only following which he must be returned promptly to the club from which he was recalled.

(ii) Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of the loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by League suspension to its players is reduced below the level of two (2) goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the existence of the emergency conditions including the incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of the League upon request made by him.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Thanks for mentioning the emergency recall, Larry. Under Emergency Recall, though, the CBA stipulates a player who is "loaned" to an affiliate organization. Would this be the case with Leighton?
I doubt they'd let the Flyers make Leighton waiver-exempt in an emergency situation. They'd have 'em call up Riopel or whomever.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Even if he isn't claimed his cap hit is gone, right? That's all I care about.

Best of luck in your future endeavors (not here), Michael.
If he clears waivers AND the Flyers send him down his cap hit is gone completely.

However, he can clear waivers and not get sent down, in which case he is still ours. Or, he can get claimed and we dont have to worry about him anymore.

If we send him down and recall him, we pay half. However, we would have to recall him, which is stupid. But, Homer did it with Randy Jones, so you never know.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I told you, the more you listen to/read what he says in that conference call, the more Jones 2.0 seems possible.

He genuinely sounds like he wants Leighton to get back into form so they can bring him back up.
What I heard was reporters trying to make Homer say what they wanted him to... and Homer trying not to damn a player. He had to say that there was little interest in trading him, but he didn't have to say that he was in the AHL for the season.

In reality IMO a GM can never give the appearance to a player... to all his players... that being demoted is a permanent thing. They must have the feeling/hope that hard work and circumstances can allow them to return... But in all reality, Homer understands the situation and I'm sure it would take a dire circumstance to have him recall Leighton at the risks involved... Does Homer have to say that just because the reporters want him to do so? No, he doesn't.

At least that is what I got from it... and what I hope.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote