HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Quarterfinal • Jan. 2 • Finland 3, Russia 4 (OT)

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Finland in regulation 46 47.42%
Finland in OT/shootout 14 14.43%
Russia in regulation 20 20.62%
Russia in OT/shootout 17 17.53%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2011, 05:45 AM
Peter25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra View Post
Nah, up to 1809 the Finns had the best time of their history. From 1809 to 1917 the Finns were living under the terror rule of Russia before they revolted and gained their Freedom. Then Russia tried to invade Finland during WW2 but were denied by sisu. However, the commies still managed to steal 10 percent of Finland in the treaty after the war.

After that, they have continued to own Finland in hockey as well. I was hoping yesterday would be a turning point but no...

Sweden will revenge their former subjects tonight!
LOL.

Finland was a lot better off in the Russian Empire than with Sweden.

Old
01-03-2011, 06:14 AM
pouskin74*

[QUOTE=Alessandro Seren Rosso;29941686]- Vatanen.
- Isn't him the one who said in an interview that Russia would have no chances against Finland? Well, tell him "hi"![/QUOTE]

just under the skin!

Old
01-03-2011, 07:04 AM
tatzka90
The Universe

Watched veetle stream, from tsn with good quality from my friend's 38'' tv.
Game was so entertaining that I wasn't even tired after 5.30 am, too bad that Finns couldn't handle the last 5 minutes. Kuznetzov was a beast, his individual skills were only reason Russians could beat that 5-men(and of course at OT 4-men) -barrier.

Old
01-03-2011, 07:58 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatzka90 View Post
Watched veetle stream, from tsn with good quality from my friend's 38'' tv.
Game was so entertaining that I wasn't even tired after 5.30 am, too bad that Finns couldn't handle the last 5 minutes. Kuznetzov was a beast, his individual skills were only reason Russians could beat that 5-men(and of course at OT 4-men) -barrier.
I agree overall Finnland is a better TEAM as Russia. The only thing I have to say - your boys are DIRTYYYYYYYYYYY, crosschecking, spearing behind the scene...

Old
01-03-2011, 08:20 AM
bebl

Quote:
The only thing I have to say - your boys are DIRTYYYYYYYYYYY, crosschecking, spearing behind the scene...
crosscheching>diving

Old
01-03-2011, 08:22 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
Great interview with Kuzya after the game:

Поздравляем! Вы сегодня спасли команду!
Спасибо за поздравление. Мы проигрывали со счётом 1:3, и надо было как можно скорее забивать вторую шайбу, чтобы потом отыграть ещё одну и сравнять счёт. Так и вышло забросили ещё две шайбы. А не помните, кто был тем защитником, кого я обыграл?

- Congrats, you saved the team today!
- Thanks. We were losing 3-1, we needed to sore quickly so that we could score another one and tie the game up. And that happened - we scored other two times. By the way, who was the defenseman that I outplayed?

Ватанен.
Это же тот, кто сказал в интервью, что у сборной России нет шансов против финнов? Ну, вы ему привет тогда передайте.

- Vatanen.
- Isn't him the one who said in an interview that Russia would have no chances against Finland? Well, tell him "hi"!
Love it. Obviously he knew who it was and just wanted it to get mentioned again

I feel bad for Finland though, it always sucks to lose like that. A bit sad I missed the game..

Old
01-03-2011, 08:24 AM
bebl

We don't deserve to win if we let goals like russian 2 and 3 goals .

Old
01-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Make

I thought we played two periods very well. Third was also in our control, but damn I hated Pulkkinen's dumb hooking penalty. Wasn't even his first in the tournament. The Russians got a huge boost from the first goal, and I knew we'd be in trouble. Then Kuznetsov pretty much took over the game and destroyed us. He made Vatanen look like a fool on Kitsyn's goal. Vatanen needs to learn to defend 1 on 1-situations.

I think this wasn't the typical Finnish meltdown. Two individual errors just cost us the game (Pulkkinen's penalty & Kuznetsov's solo). Kuznetsov was a beast in the last 10 minutes. After the 2-3 goal Finns looked really nervous and lost all composure. They rebounded a bit in OT but couldn't bury their chances. Ortio was really good.

Old
01-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Fortheloveofthegame

What an incredible last 5 minutes! Feel bad for the Finns, but with nothing really "invested" in the game, as a fan........very entertaining.

Old
01-03-2011, 10:18 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Saw 2 different Russian teams this tournament...

1) The Russian team that played in a) the first 2 periods of the Canadian game AND b) the last 12 minutes of tonight's game.

2) The Russian team that played the rest of the time.

If Team # 1 would just stick around the Russians could do some damage.
Why so many highs and lows with the Russian team?

Why no consistancy?

Old
01-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make View Post
I thought we played two periods very well. Third was also in our control, but damn I hated Pulkkinen's dumb hooking penalty. Wasn't even his first in the tournament.
Other than the penalty against the USA, I don't think he's taken much penalties in the entire tournament. What if Pulkkinen had let Tarasenko(?) go unimpeeded, and he had doen the same to the dman as Kuznetsov? Would people then blame him for not backchecking?

Old
01-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Make

Yes I meant the similar penalty against USA. It wasn't just about the hook but he also gave the puck away on the blueline and had to recover with a penalty. Some hooking was allowed in the tournament but those were obvious calls. I would have liked him to take the risk and not hook so blatantly.

Obviously our D was also weak on the pk. Can't let a player bulldoze to the net and just whack the puck in like that.

Other than that Pulkkinen was pretty good in the tournament. I was impressed with his playmaking. He should use his wristshot more though, it's quicker in many situations. Many of his slapshots hit the D-man or deflected past the net.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:29 PM
ThinMcWhistle

IMO this was once again a completely "typical and garden variety" Finnish collapse in the last minutes of a game that should have been in the bag.

Finland dominated and controlled the game up to the last period. This is when Russia increased the pressure, and Finland became nervous. They acted in a typical fashion that I have seen time and time again in games that matter. Losing focus, making mistakes (giveaways), and taking dumb penalties.

I was not shocked to see them blow it with 5 minutes left, it was to be expected.

Finland has to learn how to shut it down when the game is practically won. STAY FOCUSED, STAY OUT OF THE BLOODY PENALTY BOX.

Cudos to Russia, they found their game at the end and didn't give up.

Last edited by ThinMcWhistle: 01-03-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old
01-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Fulcrum

Could someone who reads Finnish news tell me how this game was approached. Did the finnish media/experts expect to win this game before it started?

I just want to know, it looked to me like the Fins understimated the Russians and what they are known for in the last 5-10 mins of the game?

Old
01-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Juzmo
dont google me

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Could someone who reads Finnish news tell me how this game was approached. Did the finnish media/experts expect to win this game before it started?

I just want to know, it looked to me like the Fins understimated the Russians and what they are known for in the last 5-10 mins of the game?
It was very possible having the best team in years and with a solid goalie.

They are Finnish athletes, they couldn't handle the pressure when it mattered.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:24 PM
pr92

What a comeback. Great game, sad to see Finland lost at the end though.

This is a real shot in the dark, but was anyone else at the game? Anyone know why they kicked those Canadians out of the lower bowl? I didn't see them do anything wrong. The "Let Him Stay!" chant was the loudest one of the night.

Closed Thread