HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Winter Classic 2012

Old
01-02-2011, 03:14 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Since the NHL loves to make-up rivalries it'll probably be some **** like the Flyers vs. Modo hockey.

I'd like to see it in Detroit, not sure who it would be against.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:47 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1064
http://www.csnphilly.com/01/02/11/Fl...514&feedID=695

Quote:
DETROIT -- ESPN.com says the Flyers are a possibility for the 2012 Winter Classic, but it’s a real long shot.

The St. Louis Blues are pushing hard for the game, and the San Jose Sharks want to be part of it too, although they’d have to play somewhere else since it’s simply not cold enough in Northern California.

Also, there a number of general managers that would like to see more representation from other clubs around the league, even if it means a neutral site in the U.S.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:57 PM
flountown

As long as the WC is controlled by a US based broadcasting company, it will contain only US teams. Also, let's get real, nothing about the selection of opponents will ever be fair. I think NYC would get the next one, but do you really think the NHL wants to showcase the train wreck that is the Islanders or the total unsureness and lacking of a fan base Devils?

If the Flyers get it, it will most likely be a home game, but hey, a bike ride from the Spectrum to the Linc, or CBP would sure as hell be easier than the one to Boston.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Keith Jones (intermission guest on WIP) was at the game last night and though he said the players didn't complain, there was an issue for some (especially those with visors) for playing under the lights. Reflections, I assume.

Old
01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Mosetter27

HAHA FLOUTOWN!

i was just thinking

to all my philly natives

IMAGINE THIS!

New Years Day... Mummers Parade on Broad Street starting at 9 am

Flyers vs Rangers Winter Classic @ the Linc starting @ 2 pm

Satan would move into Broad Street as a vacation house cause that street would be HELL!

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:59 PM
PhillyFlying

the rangers are long overdue to be a part of a winter classic. i think our chances are very high to be their opponent seeing as NBC salivates over flyers-rags games and the devils/islanders are low national-interest teams at this point.

edit: a game at a neutral site would be a disaster. unless you pick from the high-interest teams already in discussion, good luck filling up a stadium in a neutral location for a game worth only two points.

Last edited by PhillyFlying: 01-02-2011 at 06:07 PM.
PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:36 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Anyone not realize that Comcast owns NBC now. . . All Comcast teams all the time for the WC! Flyers, San Jose, Blackhawks. . . etc.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 06:58 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
Anyone not realize that Comcast owns NBC now. . . All Comcast teams all the time for the WC! Flyers, San Jose, Blackhawks. . . etc.
Not approved yet...

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:19 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Not approved yet...
it is pretty much a certain at this point

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Flyerfan808

Dallas will host in Cowboy Stadium.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 07:25 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

FWIW, Luukko's statement:

Quote:
Contrary to a published report, the Flyers have not been asked to play in the 2012 Winter Classic at Lincoln Financial Field. "We have not been contacted by the league but certainly would like to play a game in Philly at some point," said Peter Luukko, president of Comcast-Spectacor, the Flyers' parent company.
Read more: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/break...king/20110102_

Old
01-02-2011, 07:27 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
it is pretty much a certain at this point
Never discount the ability of GE or Comcast to **** up at the last minute.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 08:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Dallas will host in Cowboy Stadium.
Jerry Jones will buy anything.

Although it would seem crazy, but if it was feasible, I wouldn't mind seeing one at the Cotton Bowl. Might be too warm because the average temp. is already 54 or so degrees.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:55 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

What fans and analysts around the NHL forget is that this game is broadcast on NBC.
As long as the winter classic is aired on NBC we are going to see big market teams, and only big market teams. That means the almost guaranteed inclusion of the dreaded NBC teams. (Flyers, Rangers, Penguins, Bruins, Red Wings, Blackhawks)
It's not about getting every team a game, this isn't kindergarten. This game takes A LOT of money to make happen. Think of it what you want, but the NHL and NBC are both busniesses. The point of the Winter Classic is not only to bring the game closer to its roots. It's mostly about ratings, as is any nationally broadcast sporting event. It's also largely about giving people who might not be hockey fans a good game/big market game to watch, in order to promote the NHL throughout the US.

My bet would be either Bruins vs. Rangers in NYC or Rangers vs. Flyers in Philly.

Blues vs. Rangers/Red Wings/Blackhawks/Flyers/Bruins might also be a possibility

Last edited by orange is better: 01-03-2011 at 12:05 AM.
orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:27 AM
2fast4u2*

Here is a good idea....Who ever wins the Stanley cup gets to Host the Winter classic.....OR the Winter classic is played by the 2 teams in the cup finals.

2fast4u2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u2 View Post
Here is a good idea....Who ever wins the Stanley cup gets to Host the Winter classic.....OR the Winter classic is played by the 2 teams in the cup finals.
Winter Classic in Tampa Bay would be epic.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:51 AM
McNasty

Quote:
I think there is a better chance of it being dubbed the Crosby Classic and featuring Pittsburgh every year.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Not a good idea. The stadiums have to be available, and NBC will walk away if they're stuck having to show the Panthers and Coyotes.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:23 AM
PhillyFlying

minnesota would be a great place to hold a WC. you'd likely see a new world record for attendance at a hockey game if you can find a stadium big enough. the wild are one of the "dreaded NBC teams" but i doubt they'd be picked to participate in a WC until they can be consistent playoff-contenders.

Old
01-03-2011, 11:50 AM
kicksave27

Flyers-Rangers would be great ratings wise. Though somehow their will still be an entire intermission about Crosby.

There have been rumors of Pens-Flyers @ penn state. Which would be perfect really. No conflicts with anything since it's winter break, cold weather, 100,000 +fans, easy for fans to find hotels and NBC gets a Penn State tie in, which will lure the largest dues paying alumni in the country to at least watch it. Epic tailgating. Seriously great weekend for the fans, you basically get the run of a college town while the kids are on break and relive the college years bar hoping.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:58 AM
PhillyFlying

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Flyers-Rangers would be great ratings wise. Though somehow their will still be an entire intermission about Crosby.

There have been rumors of Pens-Flyers @ penn state. Which would be perfect really. No conflicts with anything since it's winter break, cold weather, 100,000 +fans, easy for fans to find hotels and NBC gets a Penn State tie in, which will lure the largest dues paying alumni in the country to at least watch it. Epic tailgating. Seriously great weekend for the fans, you basically get the run of a college town while the kids are on break and relive the college years bar hoping.
in the past i remember hearing paterno was vehemently against a hockey game being played on his football field, so until he's gone don't count on it.

don't be surprised if we get a flyers-penguins winter classic in philly next year. i would prefer the rangers as they rightfully deserve to participate in the classic, but this is the NHL/NBC and he is crosby so...

Old
01-03-2011, 12:08 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
in the past i remember hearing paterno was vehemently against a hockey game being played on his football field, so until he's gone don't count on it.

don't be surprised if we get a flyers-penguins winter classic in philly next year. i would prefer the rangers as they rightfully deserve to participate in the classic, but this is the NHL/NBC and he is crosby so...
I've heard the same about Paterno. Apparently he's absolutely against all that construction on the field, and nothing gets done on that field without his approval.

As for Flyers-Penguins, I'm sure it can happen, but it won't be next year. The NHL may love touting Crosby and the Pens, but I don't think they'll get back to back Winter Classics. There'll be at least a year or two in between. But I'm sure that, at least during Crosby's career, the Pens will be in the Classic more than anyone else.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:16 PM
PhillyFlying

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I've heard the same about Paterno. Apparently he's absolutely against all that construction on the field, and nothing gets done on that field without his approval.

As for Flyers-Penguins, I'm sure it can happen, but it won't be next year. The NHL may love touting Crosby and the Pens, but I don't think they'll get back to back Winter Classics. There'll be at least a year or two in between. But I'm sure that, at least during Crosby's career, the Pens will be in the Classic more than anyone else.
NBC has to find another rivalry to exploit that will garner the same interest as the penguins and capitals. i think flyers-pens is their best option, with the flyers-rags coming at a close second. all the western rivalries are great, but is it really logical to expect to see san jose or LA in a winter classic? the east is heavy with elite teams with great followings. i know it's unfair and unjust that the penguins might get to play in ANOTHER winter classic, but as flyers fans we should be happy that our loyalty is going to grant us the same thing. i love the winter classic and i hope the flyers participate in it as often as possible, even if that means sid the kid will get another outdoor game.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:35 PM
2fast4u2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Not a good idea. The stadiums have to be available, and NBC will walk away if they're stuck having to show the Panthers and Coyotes.
well IF the Panthers and Coyotes ever meet in the cup final that means that they have done some good shopping and MUST be better then the rest of the teams in the NHL so let em play

2fast4u2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:51 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
well IF the Panthers and Coyotes ever meet in the cup final that means that they have done some good shopping and MUST be better then the rest of the teams in the NHL so let em play
Pssst... he said that because Florida and Phoneix are two of the worst fanbases in any of the four major sports and they both couldn't give a **** less about hockey.

As with all things, the Winter Classic is about MONEY, especially since the league has to shell out so much to produce it in the first place.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote