HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryan McDonagh Up / Del Zotto Down

Old
01-03-2011, 03:24 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

vCash: 500
i'm looking for someone to step up big time. this team's going to need to dig down deep and find creative new ways to turn the puck over in MDZ's absence. maybe they'll all use opposite handed sticks in tribute

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
MDZ will be back either when Rozi is traded or Eminger falters; btw he's beginning to play poorly. By year's end our six D will be:

Staal
Girardi
Sauer
MCD
MDZ
Gilroy/Kundratek

Three lefties and three righties; the way it should be.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:33 PM
haveandare

I'm just glad that we can legitimately argue which of 3 D men in the AHL are best at this point even with Gilroy and Sauer up. Kinda crazy for a team that didn't have a 7th guy last season.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I'm just happy that we actually have a farm team that we can and do use to re-supply the big team. For so many years it was just wasted space in Hartford. The call ups were terrible and ill prepared for playing with the Rangers.
Not only do we have some talent down there, they are on the same page as well. Sauer has been a great addition this year. Weise doesn't look lost.

This will be good for Del Zotto. The staff obviously has certain issues they want him to work on. Now he can do it without the intense pressures of the NHL and the consequences of messing up.
So true...in fact, we never called anyone up...we would just sign a marginal dman trolling or trade a pick for a scrub on another team...hopefully, those days are gone forever!

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
MDZ will be back either when Rozi is traded or Eminger falters; btw he's beginning to play poorly. By year's end our six D will be:

Staal
Girardi
Sauer
MCD
MDZ
Gilroy/Kundratek

Three lefties and three righties; the way it should be.
That is why Rozy and Emminger should be traded at some point before their value falls.

I can live with the kids making mistakes on the backend...realistically, the Rangers will contend for the lower seeds without those those guys.

I can live with Gilroy's mistakes...I can't live with overpaid veterans playing half ass!

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:39 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

It wouldn't shock me in the least to see McDonagh come up and be rock solid like Girardi was when he was first called up years ago. It would be interesting to see who would sit if that becomes the case.

I'm not against this move on the whole. MDZ needs to get his confidence back, and he will playing 25 to 30 minutes a game with the Whale. I just hope he takes it as a humbling experience and as a chance to work on his weaknesses rather than as a punishment.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:41 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
I like this move. MDZ will be back, but he really could use the minutes down there to get over these growing pains, and maybe even get his offensive touch back. He hasn't scored a goal in ages. I'm also excited to see what MCD does. We shouldn't even have this guy I still think it's hilarious that Montreal gave up their 7th overall picked player for Gomez lol. I hope he's a beast.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:42 PM
AJRanger

AGrossRecord
Torts says McDonagh will NOT play Wednesday vs. #Hurricanes. Keeping Gilroy in, likes what he's seen from Gilroy.

thenyrangers
Torts also says there is no guarantee McDonagh will play while he is up with #NYR; says Matt Gilroy will be in lineup on Wednesday

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Blueblood 2

Beware....MCD may take somebody's spot permanently. The kid has the leadership, work ethic and muscle to play against most. Smart to give him a taste and let him know he isn't buried. May free up Slats to deal a D-man if he looks good.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
AGrossRecord
Torts says McDonagh will NOT play Wednesday vs. #Hurricanes. Keeping Gilroy in, likes what he's seen from Gilroy.

thenyrangers
Torts also says there is no guarantee McDonagh will play while he is up with #NYR; says Matt Gilroy will be in lineup on Wednesday
Do not want.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:53 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

lol, the reuniting of the MDZ & Redden D pairing?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:55 PM
MorrisWanchuk

torts says that Gilroy will get the start on Weds.

i may be in a minority on these boards, but i welcome this. Gilroy has looked more and more competent in the last few games. he may not be an offensive threat yet, but he is becoming reliable and safe in his own end. i think he deserves a stretch with the team now to see how much he has improved.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:57 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
That is why Rozy and Emminger should be traded at some point before their value falls.

I can live with the kids making mistakes on the backend...realistically, the Rangers will contend for the lower seeds without those those guys.

I can live with Gilroy's mistakes...I can't live with overpaid veterans playing half ass!

- i dont think gilory has made too many mistakes in the last few games. and way under the number made by MDZ

- also, not sure why people want to trade Emminger. I derided him as much as anyone at the start of the year, but he's super solid now and is probably our toughest Dman along with Sauer

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:59 PM
pwoz

Too many of our young players have awful sophomore slumps.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:05 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

This is all part of the process...

lol

Seriously though, DZ needs to get his confidence back. Its not the end of the world, though it would have been nice to build off of that hot start last year. Hes still 20 people.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:05 PM
morffin

whats the point of calling up McD if hes not going to play on weds?...shouldnt they have called up a forward instead?

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:06 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
This is all part of the process...

lol

Seriously though, DZ needs to get his confidence back. Its not the end of the world, though it would have been nice to build off of that hot start last year. Hes still 20 people.
and he went straight from jrs to the NHL...no time to dev. This is a good move...let Shonney straighten this kid out....20 years old...this will be a blip in a very long and good career.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Dissapointed that MDZ was sent down not becuase I don't think it was warranted. Dissapointed that he hasen't played better. In the offseason, Torts commented on Redden's game as being "predictable"...I think the same can be said for MDZ in his sophmore.

Every action creates reaction though. Very happy to see McDonough get his chance. I think everyone liked what they saw in the preseason. Hope he makes the most of the opportunity like so many before him.

I still hope for a complete homegrown defense. While I know McD wasen't drafted, he is being groomed into the system. The Rangers really do have a good chance to have a complete homegrown defense in the near future.

Also...This Rangers club is rapidly becoming "The New York Americans"...Is this the future of the NYR? Will they become America's team?

Dubi
Stepan
Cally
Boyle
Drury

Sauer
McDonough
Gilroy

Coming soon...
Kreider
Maybe Bourque?

Parise and Kessel next!!!!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I agree with the move. Hopefully he'll be back up soon and play well.

I don't agree with McD not playing though. Give him a shot.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:12 PM
msv957

MDZ was the Golden prospect on this team last year. How can he go from a star in the making to getting sent down to the minors? I guess we just can't get gushy about prospects. It's a process and all about consistency which makes a real good NHL player.

Hopefully, Stepan does not go through this sort of thing next year. I believe he wont as he will be playing first line minutes and power play minutes with Gaborik and etc.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:17 PM
NYR Viper

Callahan did the same thing a couple of years ago. Its not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:20 PM
beastly115

Good. MDZ hasn't looked good all season.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:42 PM
NYR957
Hagelin's pumped.

McDonagh will wear 27 according to the Rangers' site.

NYR957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:44 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Callahan did the same thing a couple of years ago. Its not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.
ditto...give this man a cigar

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:54 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
was just going to say the same thing. Sending Cally down that year might have been the best thing for his career.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote