HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, NCAA, International, Other) *Part 3*

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Fasth just got absolutely blown up by Foligno.

This CAN-SWE game has been really great so far. The teams look pretty evenly matched, but the Canadians are much more physical and I can see the Swedes wearing down as the game progresses.

Old
12-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Fasth played a VERY good game.

Old
12-31-2010, 06:15 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Fasth played a VERY good game.
Sweden is the best team in this tournament right now, even if they had lost that game.

They could easily win it.

12-31-2010, 10:08 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
Sweden is the best team in this tournament right now, even if they had lost that game.

if Canada has a goalie, they probably win it in regulation. Sweden is still very good, but if Visentin steps in next game and plays like he's capable than I'd take Canada > Sweden in a rematch

Old
01-01-2011, 12:32 AM
mti79

I'm excited for Fasth... No idea if he'll ever do anything for the NYR, but the fact that I picked him as my favorite prospect back in the summer and now he's scoring for Sweden in the WJC's makes me happy. Yay!!!!

Old
01-01-2011, 03:11 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

im not sure i agree with that. Sweden has the best offense. Id say USA has the best defense and the best goaltending, and Canada has by far the most physical team and has overall a very good team. USA to me probably has the best chance to win it all over these 3 teams because of how disciplined they are (they just dont seem to take penalties) and because of how frikkin amazing Jack Campbell is. He's really an awesome goalie.

Old
01-01-2011, 10:51 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Werek did not play again last night for Kingston.

Old
01-01-2011, 11:12 AM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
im not sure i agree with that. Sweden has the best offense. Id say USA has the best defense and the best goaltending, and Canada has by far the most physical team and has overall a very good team. USA to me probably has the best chance to win it all over these 3 teams because of how disciplined they are (they just dont seem to take penalties) and because of how frikkin amazing Jack Campbell is. He's really an awesome goalie.
Lehner wasn't great, but he also had some bad bounces that may have affected his play in the Canada game. Campbell has been the most consistent, but I wouldn't say U.S.A. has the best.

Sweden outworked Canada the majority of that game, however I do agree with you about discipline. That will heavily affect who takes this one home. All the top-team's PP units have been moving the puck pretty well, and are dangerous.

I can't really decide whom I like for their defense. All of the teams have had some gaffes by their d-core that ended up in goals against. Good offenses score goals in spite of good defenses not because of them.

We'll see what happens I guess, but if I had to bet on a team right now, I think I would be most confident in Sweden. I hope I am wrong and the U.S. destroys them and/or Canada.

Old
01-01-2011, 11:41 AM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Lehner wasn't great, but he also had some bad bounces that may have affected his play in the Canada game. Campbell has been the most consistent, but I wouldn't say U.S.A. has the best.

Sweden outworked Canada the majority of that game, however I do agree with you about discipline. That will heavily affect who takes this one home. All the top-team's PP units have been moving the puck pretty well, and are dangerous.

I can't really decide whom I like for their defense. All of the teams have had some gaffes by their d-core that ended up in goals against. Good offenses score goals in spite of good defenses not because of them.

We'll see what happens I guess, but if I had to bet on a team right now, I think I would be most confident in Sweden. I hope I am wrong and the U.S. destroys them and/or Canada.
Sweden i think dominated most of that game and was lucky they went to a shootout. Canada scored some fluky goals

Old
01-01-2011, 11:48 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Sweden totally dominated and controlled game play. From memory, Canada's first 4 goals were extremely fluky. The first Canada goal was scored from behind the next off a defensemans leg, the second goal was one Lehner easily should have had, the third goal came with .5 seconds left off a ridiculous bounce off the glass, and the 4th (short handed) goal went off a players skate. Canada was lucky to get out of that game with 1 point.

Old
01-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Christian Thomas had 1 assist and was -1 in a win over Kitchener today.

Old
01-02-2011, 07:10 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Updated the stats.

I'll be back in California tomorrow night, so I'll be back to posting updates at 4AM.

It's just pain.
Old
01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
IfYouCantEtemJoinEm
so hot right now

vCash: 983
Fasth very noticeable every shift against Russia. Had a really nice strong move to the net around the defenseman but couldn't stuff it in.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:35 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Yeah, Fasth is really impressing me in this game.

So is Tarasenko.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:05 PM
msv957

Not sure why it is being mentioned in the prospect section of HF that Kreider is listed as some of the disapointments at this year's WJC. Isn't he at a PPG? The tournament is not over yet.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:20 PM
NYR Viper

Fasth is very impressive. This is his first game I have been able to watch and he is all over the place. His skating is superb.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:23 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Not sure why it is being mentioned in the prospect section of HF that Kreider is listed as some of the disapointments at this year's WJC. Isn't he at a PPG? The tournament is not over yet.
These are the type of guys who think Palmieri's been a great player, I believe.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:39 PM
John Torturella

Why did Fasth fall to the 6th round? Anyone?

Old
01-03-2011, 04:45 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Why did Fasth fall to the 6th round? Anyone?
Unknown quantity in Sweden. Small, underdeveloped(physically) forward. Defensively not the best(but he has improved).

Old
01-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Unknown quantity in Sweden. Small, underdeveloped(physically) forward. Defensively not the best(but he has improved).
Im not entirely sure he was even projected to go in the draft. There are a ton of kids like him in the junior Swedish league, it just takes good scouting and a bit of luck to get Fasth, who has immediately stepped in and taken a decent role in the SEL, a much better and better scouted league.

Its a low risk pick and just a good bit of scouting and projecting if this kid turns out to become NHL caliber.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:47 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
He is listed at 6 feet, 176. I guess he has grown since the draft?

Old
01-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Well 176 isnt much, and you consider the fact he gets shoved around quite a bit even at this level.

I'll give it to the kid though, he does try and occasionally throws his weight around, but I dont know how much that'll help him.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:52 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
He is listed at 6 feet, 176. I guess he has grown since the draft?
I think he has put on some weight. I believe he was about 6' when he was drafted but I could be wrong. He was described as "skinny" when he was drafted and he would get knocked off the puck too often.

He still has some problems with his strength and has some work to do in that department but his speed and his hockey IQ seem to be pretty good.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:52 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Well 176 isnt much, and you consider the fact he gets shoved around quite a bit even at this level.

I'll give it to the kid though, he does try and occasionally throws his weight around, but I dont know how much that'll help him.
176 is not terrible for a kid that just turned 19. Its also not unheard of to add a couple of inches before turning 21. Stepan is 6 feet, 182 lbs. I dont think you can really consider Fasth under sized for his age.

edit- at least at this point in his development.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:59 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
176 is not terrible for a kid that just turned 19. Its also not unheard of to add a couple of inches before turning 21. Stepan is 6 feet, 182 lbs. I dont think you can really consider Fasth under sized for his age.

edit- at least at this point in his development.
It has to do with playing style as well. Fasth isn't a purely skilled player like Stepan. He will need to get stronger in order to play in the NHL. However, saying that he has taken a few steps in the right direction to making it.

Closed Thread