HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Classic 2012

Old
01-03-2011, 04:03 PM
2fast4u2*

vCash: 500
Well,i would think that IF those 2 teams are THAT far in the playoffs there WILL be A$$e$ in the seats

2fast4u2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:08 PM
jb**

Remember next year news years falls on a Sunday. The nfl will destroy the nhl in ratings. That being said they will have the game in philly and say it was such a failure they wont get another one for 20 years. It would be funny if snider then gace shooter and lavi a mandate to goon it up and have a fight filled brawl to then show the nhl what they are missing by not marketing fighting!

They only had 800k more viewers than last year. All things considered that is a failure in my book. Last year both teams were struggling. This year they marketed the **** out of the game like no other. They had hbo helping. They put everything they have into it and only 800k more people? They only went up against 1 college bowl game with one team that has no fan base.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Remember next year news years falls on a Sunday. The nfl will destroy the nhl in ratings. That being said they will have the game in philly and say it was such a failure they wont get another one for 20 years. It would be funny if snider then gace shooter and lavi a mandate to goon it up and have a fight filled brawl to then show the nhl what they are missing by not marketing fighting!

They only had 800k more viewers than last year. All things considered that is a failure in my book. Last year both teams were struggling. This year they marketed the **** out of the game like no other. They had hbo helping. They put everything they have into it and only 800k more people? They only went up against 1 college bowl game with one team that has no fan base.
And they were in prime time.

When they first came up with the idea a lot of analysts wondered why they didn't just have it the Sunday before the Super Bowl.

No NFL, no NCAA and the weather is colder in the borderline areas that wouldn't do well on Jan 1st.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:31 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
And they were in prime time.

When they first came up with the idea a lot of analysts wondered why they didn't just have it the Sunday before the Super Bowl.

No NFL, no NCAA and the weather is colder in the borderline areas that wouldn't do well on Jan 1st.
I missed the first one in Buffalo because I was hung over.

So stupid to have it the day after New Years.

They should carve out a week in mid to later January to have the skills comp, rookie game, all-star game and Winter Classic all, preferably, outdoors.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I missed the first one in Buffalo because I was hung over.

So stupid to have it the day after New Years.

They should carve out a week in mid to later January to have the skills comp, rookie game, all-star game and Winter Classic all, preferably, outdoors.
They should just do away with the ASG.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:59 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
They should just do away with the ASG.
Yes, but, we both know that will never happen.

ASG's have a tendency to be sponsored = money.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Yes, but, we both know that will never happen.

ASG's have a tendency to be sponsored = money.
Well, it's not even that they're sponsored... it's that the NHL uses them as a convention of sorts to kiss ass with all the folks that are sponsors normally. However, it is such a waste of time... I couldn't tell you the last time I watched the game.

Old
01-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Well, it's not even that they're sponsored... it's that the NHL uses them as a convention of sorts to kiss ass with all the folks that are sponsors normally. However, it is such a waste of time... I couldn't tell you the last time I watched the game.
If it were possible to have a friendly pond hockey game without heavy pads or helmets, then there would be some interest. It would bring players closer to the fans. But, obviously, the skill level and physical abilities of the players make that impossible.

Basketball is really the only sport that caters to having an ASG. Baseball's has long been very popular but I wouldn't want a 100M+ pitcher throwing in a (mostly) meaningless game.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:14 AM
WolfHound

Penguins vs Flyers at Beaver Stadium. It would be awesome.

WolfHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
If it were possible to have a friendly pond hockey game without heavy pads or helmets, then there would be some interest. It would bring players closer to the fans. But, obviously, the skill level and physical abilities of the players make that impossible.

Basketball is really the only sport that caters to having an ASG. Baseball's has long been very popular but I wouldn't want a 100M+ pitcher throwing in a (mostly) meaningless game.
The fact that they've made the ASG in baseball have relevance to the playoffs remains a travesty. It's really remarkable that they are incapable of accepting that it is (was) a meaningless game and people don't really care.

Old
01-04-2011, 09:44 AM
mm6492

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...lassic-hosting

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:25 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
Quote:
The fact that they've made the ASG in baseball have relevance to the playoffs remains a travesty. It's really remarkable that they are incapable of accepting that it is (was) a meaningless game and people don't really care.
The AL and NL in years and decades past were confrontational and disdain existed between the two. The heated rivalry existed but became watered down over time through events such as free agency and secondarily interleague play.

What made the baseball All-Star game unique and appealing in the distant past was the sight of NL legends in an AL city or watching star pitchers faceoff against the other league's best hitters. Though the Leagues maintain differences (DH for example), the excitement that existed in the ASG has dissipated and offers little more than casual entertainment by comparison.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The AL and NL in years and decades past were confrontational and disdain existed between the two. The heated rivalry existed but became watered down over time through events such as free agency and interleague play.

What made the baseball All-Star game unique and appealing in the distant past was the sight of NL legends in an AL city or watching star pitchers faceoff against the other league's best hitters. Though the Leagues maintain differences (DH for example), the excitement that existed in the ASG has dissipated and offers little more than casual entertainment by comparison.
Some guys wouldn't even go unless they were starting because most of them played the whole game. I think it was someone on the Reds who said "if I ain't startin', I ain't departin'"

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The AL and NL in years and decades past were confrontational and disdain existed between the two. The heated rivalry existed but became watered down over time through events such as free agency and secondarily interleague play.

Oh, I understand that there was competitiveness between the two leagues... but the game was meaningless other than bragging rights.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:48 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Some guys wouldn't even go unless they were starting because most of them played the whole game. I think it was someone on the Reds who said "if I ain't startin', I ain't departin'"
I think that was Gary Templeton a shortstop who played, in my memory, for the Cards and Padres. He was teed off because the Reds and Phillies had popular SSs at the time.

Quote:
Oh, I understand that there was competitiveness between the two leagues... but the game was meaningless other than bragging rights.
Yes. Bragging rights were huge.

I should add, too, that before cable and dishes, from the fan's perspective there was limited opportunity to see the other league's star in any capacity. If you lived in an AL city like Detroit, other than a World Series, your opportunities to see Johnny Bench or Hank Aaron or Bob Gibson were limited to a weekly game of the week on TV and there was no guarantee that those teams would be aired.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:16 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
The **** you bringing baseball into my hockey for? GTFO, nao.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
The **** you bringing baseball into my hockey for? GTFO, nao.
The merit of ASG is universal to sports.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:51 AM
2fast4u2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfHound View Post
Penguins vs Flyers at Beaver Stadium. It would be awesome.
are you on crack? I dont think that the Pens should get another Winter classic for at LEAST 7-10 years........they had 2 in a row and didnt even deserve THOSE

2fast4u2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u2 View Post
are you on crack? I dont think that the Pens should get another Winter classic for at LEAST 7-10 years........they had 2 in a row and didnt even deserve THOSE
They will be in another one in at most the next 3 years. It's the reality of the matter. The NHL is a business and NBC is in it to make money and the Pens are what sells right now so they will be in another in the very near future.

The Pens had one in 2008 and one in 2011. Not exactly in a row.

2008: Pens v. Sabres
2009: Wings v. Hawks
2010: Flyers v. Bruins
2011: Caps v. Pens

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:12 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

wouldn't it be cool if they rang the bell when the flyers scored at citizens bank park?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:09 PM
joc111

If it's gonna be in Phila., I'd rather see it at Franklin Field rather than the Linc or CBP.

joc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Hollywood Couturier

If it is ever going to be in Philly it will be at the Linc. It's been stated several times that the NHL likes the whole NFL scene.

Old
01-04-2011, 01:54 PM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
If it is ever going to be in Philly it will be at the Linc. It's been stated several times that the NHL likes the whole NFL scene.
Yeah but Franklin Field would be awesome though, and is a football stadium. They could probably fit the rink sideways in the U-Bend of the stadium which would put spectators right on top of the rink. It fits 50k+ and is loaded with history. It is also in the midst of a gorgeous IVY league campus (Although being a Drexel Grad, I hate Penn kids because I picture them all as stuck up trust-fund babies).

It is also easy to access, parking would be an issue, but I don't see that as an issue because its a similar situation to Boston and Chicago.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Yeah but Franklin Field would be awesome though, and is a football stadium. They could probably fit the rink sideways in the U-Bend of the stadium which would put spectators right on top of the rink. It fits 50k+ and is loaded with history. It is also in the midst of a gorgeous IVY league campus (Although being a Drexel Grad, I hate Penn kids because I picture them all as stuck up trust-fund babies).

It is also easy to access, parking would be an issue, but I don't see that as an issue because its a similar situation to Boston and Chicago.
Haha I go to Drexel so I have the same thought process as you.

EDIT: Sitting in history class as we speak actually.

It would be cool to have it there but I don't see the NHL going for that.

Old
01-04-2011, 02:02 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post

this was my original idea as well. it would be AMAZING do to Rangers vs. Flyers at franklin feild, with all that rich philadelphia history in there. the only problems are the lack of updated facilities that the NHL would most likely require. But the biggest problem is the lack of sufficient parking and mass transportation to franklin feild, with the huge amounts of people that come along with it.

also, do you think upenn would be OK with the idea?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote