HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Brian Boyle

Old
12-31-2010, 03:17 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
I am happy Boyle has worked out for the Rangers. Something has to make up for the atrocious drafting of that team. Glad we could help

Seriously though, I don't put much stock in any player doing anything for one year. I look at players like Cheechoo, Moulson, Myers, etc. who have good years and then, boom, what the hell happened. Let's see if Boyle can put together a few seasons of 20+ goals and become a fixture in New York. Then, we can discuss whether he is worth the time to discuss him further.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 07:25 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post
I remember Boyle scoring just about every type of goal while with Manchester in the AHL.
You may be remembering things a little differently than what really happened. The vast majority of Boyle's goals in Manchester came from parking himself in front of the net and tipping in everyone else's shots. He rarely skated the puck in and scored because he had neither the speed nor puck protection skills, and he rarely participated in any 2-on-1 break-ins because he couldn't keep up.

ReggieMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:10 PM
spudboy

As Gaborik pointed out, his big turnaround is mainly from going to a skating coach, along with him using his size better. A lot of us thought he should of been given more of chance in LA. Once, many started posting that, he was shipped out of town. Lombardi didn't want him, and that's his decision. We've been a lot more upset to see other players leave. Glad to see he's put it together.

spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Wasn't Boyle rumored to have an attitude problem down in the AHL as well?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Wasn't Boyle rumored to have an attitude problem down in the AHL as well?
The closest thing I can think of is when he got upset that the Kings kept bouncing him between forward and defense. I think they were just trying to get through to him that he'd need to adjust his game to be successful.

He was soft, slow, and tried to play a skill game that made no sense for a player of his build with no quickness. The Kings constantly tried to get him to play physical hockey but he would never do it, I think that's where he disappointed the organization the most.

Then he goes to New York and works on his skating immediately to reinvent himself. Maybe the trade was a kick in the pants for him, but I don't remember him showing that kind of commitment to improvement while with the Kings. Whatever the case, kudos to him for turning it around.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 03:28 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
The closest thing I can think of is when he got upset that the Kings kept bouncing him between forward and defense. I think they were just trying to get through to him that he'd need to adjust his game to be successful.

He was soft, slow, and tried to play a skill game that made no sense for a player of his build with no quickness. The Kings constantly tried to get him to play physical hockey but he would never do it, I think that's where he disappointed the organization the most.

Then he goes to New York and works on his skating immediately to reinvent himself. Maybe the trade was a kick in the pants for him, but I don't remember him showing that kind of commitment to improvement while with the Kings. Whatever the case, kudos to him for turning it around.
I don't remember if it was him or Tukonen who felt they "belonged" in the NHL.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 07:26 PM
MIDSHIPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I don't remember if it was him or Tukonen who felt they "belonged" in the NHL.
It was Tukonen.

As for Boyle - 3 years ago DL had him penciled in for the starting 4th line center along with MM I think but that was the year that both Simmonds and Moller made the team out of camp. At the end of the year DL was like - "we had a spot for him to take and he lost it to a rookie. What do you want us to do?" So he traded him. You can read it for yourself if you go back to Hammonds days at the Daily News. They have a good archive, just look up Brian Boyle or DL interview. He's (DL) is usually pretty straight forward with Hammond.

He played the same on NYR last year and only this year is he starting to realize what it takes. MM realized it as soon as he was traded to NYI.

MIDSHIPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:35 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post

I see.

Clifford-Boyle-Simmonds would've been a great line!

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 07:12 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDSHIPMAN View Post
It was Tukonen.

As for Boyle - 3 years ago DL had him penciled in for the starting 4th line center along with MM I think but that was the year that both Simmonds and Moller made the team out of camp. At the end of the year DL was like - "we had a spot for him to take and he lost it to a rookie. What do you want us to do?" So he traded him. You can read it for yourself if you go back to Hammonds days at the Daily News. They have a good archive, just look up Brian Boyle or DL interview. He's (DL) is usually pretty straight forward with Hammond.

He played the same on NYR last year and only this year is he starting to realize what it takes. MM realized it as soon as he was traded to NYI.
MM wasn't dealt to the Isles.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote