HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who else...

Old
01-01-2011, 12:33 AM
cju1979
Radulov Convert

vCash: 500
Who else...

was so elated the day sandbagger Arnott and Hamhuis left? C'mon on now...

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 01-01-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Trying to avoid the word filter
cju1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 12:47 AM
jcupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cju1979 View Post
was so elated the day sandbagger Arnott and Hamhuis left? C'mon on now...
I have to admit that I miss saying "c' mon Hamhuis!"

jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:21 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I was freaking out

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 10:57 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
For all of Hammer's faults - and I'd list underachieving as the first - we all saw exactly what we were missing when #20 was out for a string of games; nobody to step up and play with Shea and no organisation/leadership among the other pairings. No, we couldn't pay Hammer what he got, and yes, he got "too much" - at least by Pred standards. But the rest of the league doesn't play with our budget and fiscal discipline, either, so they can take our solid guys like Zanon, our specialty guys like Zidlicky, and our really good guys like Hammer and overpay them and play them "up" where they wouldn't play for us.

That's why I'm convinced we will sign Weber and Suter both, even though Shea would bring us the forward we all think we need. There are very few true #1 pairings in the league - and 2 of the others are in our division. We're built that way so we'll bring good guys along like the Z's and Hammer and watch them go elsewhere for more minutes, bigger roles, and more money, and we'll keep feeding kids into the stream and supplementing them with low-risk experienced vets behind a franchise pair of D.

We miss Hammer; we'll work around it and be fine, but I believe it was a big loss.

deanwormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:49 PM
cju1979
Radulov Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
For all of Hammer's faults - and I'd list underachieving as the first - we all saw exactly what we were missing when #20 was out for a string of games; nobody to step up and play with Shea and no organisation/leadership among the other pairings. No, we couldn't pay Hammer what he got, and yes, he got "too much" - at least by Pred standards. But the rest of the league doesn't play with our budget and fiscal discipline, either, so they can take our solid guys like Zanon, our specialty guys like Zidlicky, and our really good guys like Hammer and overpay them and play them "up" where they wouldn't play for us.

That's why I'm convinced we will sign Weber and Suter both, even though Shea would bring us the forward we all think we need. There are very few true #1 pairings in the league - and 2 of the others are in our division. We're built that way so we'll bring good guys along like the Z's and Hammer and watch them go elsewhere for more minutes, bigger roles, and more money, and we'll keep feeding kids into the stream and supplementing them with low-risk experienced vets behind a franchise pair of D.

We miss Hammer; we'll work around it and be fine, but I believe it was a big loss.

I will give you that losing Zanon was a big hit but Hamhuis...what did we give up...losing pucks in our own zone? not playing physical (more like acting like a little biotch)? no offense? I like Bouillon and I think we need to bring Blum up now. Screw Dan....

(That comment above about "C'Mon Hamhuis" was genuis )

cju1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:34 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 0
Hamhuis wasnt bad, he was a solid, second pair defenseman.

But we couldnt afford him at 4.5 mil per, so, adios...

I was a fan of Arnotts and I still think we got a good deal the first two or three years he was here but he definitely had passed his "use by" date and I am very glad we got some assets for him instead of losing him for nothing.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Elated? Not really. Excited we were making some moves? Yeah.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:40 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

We were never going to pay Hamhuis the amount he wanted to be our #3. That doesn't mean he wasn't a quality #3 d-man while he was here.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:58 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
We were never going to pay Hamhuis the amount he wanted to be our #3. That doesn't mean he wasn't a quality #3 d-man while he was here.
actually we were, provided we got out of the first round

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 04:00 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
actually we were, provided we got out of the first round
Only if he was willing to give a hometown discount. A second round appearance wouldn't generate enough $$$ to give him his current payday and keep Weber and Suter.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:24 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I was more happy that there was finally something hockey related to talk about than elated those two were gone. I guess excitement over who we might get crept up, too.

Hamhuis didn't have the best season here last year, but at the end of the day his leaving had everything to do with money. Arnott wanted guarantees Poile wasn't going to give and quietly left. He seemed to get lazy, definitely played soft, but when he was on he could carry this team offensively. I have to say I don't miss them, but I wasn't elated to see them leave.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:10 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Only if he was willing to give a hometown discount. A second round appearance wouldn't generate enough $$$ to give him his current payday and keep Weber and Suter.
Don't forget the money the team will have to spend to get the (long sought after) dehumidifying system that is required by the NHL for a team that gets into the second round.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:13 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Don't forget the money the team will have to spend to get the (long sought after) dehumidifying system that is required by the NHL for a team that gets into the second round.
City responsibility under the lease as a major building improvement.

Old
01-03-2011, 10:16 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
City responsibility under the lease as a major building improvement.
I'll take your word for it. But, WOW, talk about people getting pissed.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:32 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I'll take your word for it. But, WOW, talk about people getting pissed.
It's in the same category as the needed HVAC improvements and roof repairs. The team can only make improvements to the building up to a certain dollar amount and even those usually require Authority approval. The dehumidification system and HVAC upgrades are both in the 7 figure range.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:45 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's in the same category as the needed HVAC improvements and roof repairs. The team can only make improvements to the building up to a certain dollar amount and even those usually require Authority approval. The dehumidification system and HVAC upgrades are both in the 7 figure range.
This is 100% correct.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:06 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
no, the org told him they would give him what he wanted if the preds got out of the first round. you are just gionna have to trust me on that one.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:21 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Not sure I understand this. There will have to be a dehumidifying system installed between the first and second rounds? Or by the following year?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:21 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
no, the org told him they would give him what he wanted if the preds got out of the first round. you are just gionna have to trust me on that one.
wow. I believe you because there is no reason for you to make that stuff up but I still dont understand the math that would have been involved. this team just flat out cannot afford to spend even 4 million on a second pair defenseman.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:58 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
wow. I believe you because there is no reason for you to make that stuff up but I still dont understand the math that would have been involved. this team just flat out cannot afford to spend even 4 million on a second pair defenseman.
I agree - seems our budget couldn't handle that, unless it was going to be a very short duration, like 2 years. Although - Poile and the organization do show loyalty, and reward it.

deanwormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:21 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Another reason to advance beyond the first round... To piss off all the sports-hating Nashvillians who love to whine about city dollars being spent for the likes of us sports-loving Nashvillians!!

Can't wait to see that article in the Tennessean.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:36 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
Another reason to advance beyond the first round... To piss off all the sports-hating Nashvillians who love to whine about city dollars being spent for the likes of us sports-loving Nashvillians!!

Can't wait to see that article in the Tennessean.
Those capital improvements require layers of Metro approval. They've been discussed and the city isn't willing to spend the money right now on improvements that aren't show stoppers. If the team were to advance to the second or third round they would have to contract temporary dehumidification systems to keep the arena playable.

Old
01-05-2011, 12:51 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Those capital improvements require layers of Metro approval. They've been discussed and the city isn't willing to spend the money right now on improvements that aren't show stoppers. If the team were to advance to the second or third round they would have to contract temporary dehumidification systems to keep the arena playable.
Who is the "they"? If it's the city then I'm all for it. Still more money spent on the Predators which will raise the ire of a select group of folks around town. I just enjoy thumbing my nose at those stodgy, anti-sports citizens.

Old
01-05-2011, 01:03 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
Who is the "they"? If it's the city then I'm all for it. Still more money spent on the Predators which will raise the ire of a select group of folks around town. I just enjoy thumbing my nose at those stodgy, anti-sports citizens.
Lobby the Metro Council to float a bond referendum to fund the improvements. The money isn't in the budget right now without finding an external funding source. When it comes to funding schools, sidewalks, streets, police, firefighters, or a new air conditioner for an arena the choice seems pretty obvious .... and it isn't the HVAC.

Old
01-05-2011, 01:25 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Lobby the Metro Council to float a bond referendum to fund the improvements. The money isn't in the budget right now without finding an external funding source. When it comes to funding schools, sidewalks, streets, police, firefighters, or a new air conditioner for an arena the choice seems pretty obvious .... and it isn't the HVAC.
You didn't answer my question. If the Preds advance to the second round and the NHL requires a dehumidifying system, temporary or permanent, who will pay for it? The Preds or the city?