HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Cal O'Reilly

Old
01-03-2011, 06:11 PM
WartracePred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
There isn't that much more revenue. The increase in attendance is offset by a reduced average ticket price so the net gain is about $7,000 at the gate per game. Over the course of a season, that doesn't add up to enough to pay for a player.
Don't forget about an increase in revenue from souvenir and concession sales that accompany higher attendance. All in all I know it's not tons more dollars, but it is an increase. Enough to justify adding 800k with Svatos

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 06:30 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
Don't forget about an increase in revenue from souvenir and concession sales that accompany higher attendance. All in all I know it's not tons more dollars, but it is an increase. Enough to justify adding 800k with Svatos
The team is only averaging about 1000 more butts in the building even with the dramatic increase in paid.

Closer to $440k for Svatos. At most, he'll be on the roster for 103 of 186 possible days on a $800k contract. Even with him, we're still $750k below the cap midpoint with over $1.3mil in possible bonuses which come off the cap as soon as the player can no longer reach those plateaus. Last season, the team finished about $12.5mil below the cap ceiling .... we'll probably finish in the $10mil below the ceiling range.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 07:02 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

What is Trotz's problem with Lundmark? He would fit the bill and if you have depth, use it.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 07:26 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
What is Trotz's problem with Lundmark? He would fit the bill and if you have depth, use it.
Lundmark fits Goc's role better than anyone else's on the current roster. Able to play center and wing, primarily a 3rd line type guy for most teams but capable of short term play on higher lines. (yeah, there was that stretch where he centered Iginla, but, that is more the exception than the rule for his career). With O'Reilly's faltering performance of late and Legwand's return there really isn't much harm in giving Mueller a shot. Mueller has better numbers in Milwaukee and there are no waiver concerns.

Old
01-03-2011, 07:41 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Still there is a point where you have to risk return waivers. Lombardi, In my mind, Aint coming back this year so why not make a move to get Lundmark on the roster. Why pay the guy if you aren't using the guy?

Old
01-03-2011, 08:13 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Still there is a point where you have to risk return waivers. Lombardi, In my mind, Aint coming back this year so why not make a move to get Lundmark on the roster. Why pay the guy if you aren't using the guy?
Lundmark is a guy who spends a lot of time in the AHL no matter what organization he's with. Right now we have Mueller up. If Mueller doesn't perform, we look at the possibility of Lundmark.

Old
01-03-2011, 08:26 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Lundmark is a guy who spends a lot of time in the AHL no matter what organization he's with. Right now we have Mueller up. If Mueller doesn't perform, we look at the possibility of Lundmark.
True

Old
01-03-2011, 08:38 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the fibula is a non-weight bearing bone. it will be healed in 4-6 weeks. he should be back mid to late february at the latest.

this is the same bone that Weber broke in Erats leg a couple of years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
I assume you spend most days peering up folks noses, but it's darn nice to have a Doc on our message boards. Even better when you put a positive spin on such a nasty injury. They way he was crawling to the bench coupled with Trotz's post game comments led me to think he was done for the year. Might still be the case, but your comment gives us all hope he'll be back AND in game shape for a playoff run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgie View Post
Yahoo agrees with you FWIW:

C Cal O'Reilly broke his right fibula when he went down midway through the third period. "Sometimes you get hit and you have your toe dug in," coach Barry Trotz said. "All your weight, plus any force that is on you at that point, goes on that very small area of your leg." O'Reilly figures to be out until at least mid-February.
Sorry if this is redundant but I had this same injury on the ice and in my non-professional and completely non-humble opinion Cal will be out 12 weeks MINIMUM.

The worst part of his injury wasn't the breaking of the fibula as his toe was stuck in the ice and his knee was collapsing to the side it was the energy that was released at the point of breaking which tore the ligament that connects the fibula and the tibia as well as the ligament that connects the tibia to the heel.

I believe, that at best the spiral fracture to Cal's fibula doesn't require screws and plates and the dr's only have to place a screw in the ankle to hold the tib and fib together to allow the ligaments to heal. Or....in addition to the screw in the ankle he will need a plate and screws on his fibula to allow the spiral fracture to heal.

Neither option is good for Cal and unfortunately it brings back many painful memories.

Last edited by nine_inch_fang: 01-03-2011 at 09:00 PM.
nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:47 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

3rd week of March leaving about 15-20 games left. Would he do a conditioning assignment in Milwaukee? Oh and let's say Lundmark DOES come up and out play O'Reilly? O'Reilly would be in Milwaukee 'rehabing'.

With O'Reilly's recent play, would that be a bad thing?

Old
01-03-2011, 08:58 PM
nine_inch_fang

At that point he would be getting cleared to bear weight and start his skating....he'd 'have' to do a conditioning stint I would think.

Old
01-03-2011, 09:25 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
The worst part of his injury wasn't the breaking of the fibula as his toe was stuck in the ice and his knee was collapsing to the side it was the energy that was released at the point of breaking which tore the ligament that connects the fibula and the tibia as well as the ligament that connects the tibia to the heel.

I believe, that at best the spiral fracture to Cal's fibula doesn't require screws and plates and the dr's only have to place a screw in the ankle to hold the tib and fib together to allow the ligaments to heal. Or....in addition to the screw in the ankle he will need a plate and screws on his fibula to allow the spiral fracture to heal.
Do you have some information that has been released that it's a spiral fracture? Along with all those ligaments torn? Or are you speculating based just on the appearance of the incident?

Last edited by OpenWheel: 01-03-2011 at 09:34 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:33 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

There are many complicating factors with a fibula fracture.

1) Walking causes the bone to move no matter what.

2) The bone is slender and fragile.

3) The fibula DOES take some force in walking.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6705357

4) There is webbing of a ligament that binds the fibula to the tibia and can cause the fracture to open.

5) Depending on how much force and where the force applies that fracture can be complicated and will need surgery. We have no clue as to the extent of the fracture just speculation.

Old
01-03-2011, 09:45 PM
token grinder

Quote:
maybe mueller outplayed him in milwaukee?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:50 PM
OpenWheel

Maybe Mueller showed detail and jump.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:12 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Do you have some information that has been released that it's a spiral fracture? Along with all those ligaments torn? Or are you speculating based just on the appearance of the incident?
It's all based on watching the replay many times and seeing his leg do the exact same thing as mine did.

His toe was stuck in the ice, his heel was straight over his toe, and his knee was almost on the ice off to his side. His knee hit the ice right after you could see a 'funny twist' in his lower leg and his toe release from the ice. I very well could be wrong here as I've been many times but I don't think this is one of them.
Quote:
There are many complicating factors with a fibula fracture.

1) Walking causes the bone to move no matter what.

2) The bone is slender and fragile.

3) The fibula DOES take some force in walking.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6705357

4) There is webbing of a ligament that binds the fibula to the tibia and can cause the fracture to open.

5) Depending on how much force and where the force applies that fracture can be complicated and will need surgery. We have no clue as to the extent of the fracture just speculation.
To add one other thing...When Cal tried to push himself up onto his good leg he couldn't because he couldn't control the twisting of his foot and therefore couldn't push off with his toe as is normal when trying to stand on the ice.

Old
01-04-2011, 07:32 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Right now all we know is broken fibula. If it snapped relatively cleanly or is a splintered mess from a spiral fracture is pure conjecture on our parts. We don't know how much soft tissue damage occurred with the break. Best case 4-6 weeks .... worst case at least 12 weeks. Until then, the game goes on with him on IR.

Old
01-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Right now all we know is broken fibula. If it snapped relatively cleanly or is a splintered mess from a spiral fracture is pure conjecture on our parts. We don't know how much soft tissue damage occurred with the break. Best case 4-6 weeks .... worst case at least 12 weeks. Until then, the game goes on with him on IR.
Exactly right. Until we get the update about the length of recovery time, there's no point debating how to fill his spot. That's why the Preds are 100% correct in trying to work in Mueller/slide guys around in the very short term until they get a more firm diagnosis.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:21 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Trotz said today that Chris Mueller will get the first two games of the road trip as Cal's replacement as the 4th center, then he'll evaluate the need for a further callup. However, instead of recalling Lundmark, Trotz mentioned specifically moving Spaling back to center and recalling either Halischuk or Thuresson to play wing...
wow. sounds like Lundmark is not highly thought of, for whatever reason

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Is Lundmark subject to re-entry waivers?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:44 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Sorry if this is redundant but I had this same injury on the ice and in my non-professional and completely non-humble opinion Cal will be out 12 weeks MINIMUM.

Neither option is good for Cal and unfortunately it brings back many painful memories.

when I made my prediction I was not aware of the ligament damage you mention. I was talking about a simple break of the fibula. If he had all that other stuff and had or will be having surgery, I'd guess late march to early april would be more on the mark. Obviously at that point if we are in the playoffs he probably will be scratched because we will have played well without him and wont want to disrupt the chemistry and if we are out of the playoffs there would be no need to hurry him back so he may indeed end up missing the rest of the season.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Is Lundmark subject to re-entry waivers?
No, he is on a two-way contract paying him $105k in the AHL which makes him exempt from recall waivers.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:44 AM
jlsg

I thought 2 way was just about salary. His experience/age would mean he would have to go through waivers, wouldn't it?

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:58 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
I thought 2 way was just about salary. His experience/age would mean he would have to go through waivers, wouldn't it?
not coming up. he would have to clear to go back down.

whcih is why they may be waiting to see if Oreilly is done for the season or not before deciding what to do.

this would be a better alternate explanation of why Lundmark hasnt been called up yet than him just not being impressive... it may be that hes playing so well they know he wouldnt clear going back down and they dont want to risk losing him for a short callup

Old
01-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
I seem to get this question as a follow up everytime I answer this question. Having a one-way contract vs. a two-way deal IS only about salary and doesn't in theory play into waiver status, however the reason I mention that he is on a two-way contract is because his AHL salary at the $105k threshold to be exempt from recall waivers. If Lundmark made $1 more or if he was on a one-way deal making $600k regardless of where he is, he'd be subject to recall waivers.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Seth Lake

Lundmark has unfortunately been wildly inconsistent this season. He has four points in his last three games, but that came as a result of a pair of two assist games. Prior to that, Lundmark had been ice cold...