HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question from a Caps fan

Old
01-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
Hey guys I just had a question. Im just sick of Pens fans saying every time we beat them its a fluke but when they beat us its cuz they are better than us. IMHO we are a better team. But I wanted to know what you guys thought...Last year in the playoffs who was better? Pens or Caps?
I distinctly remember Cammalleri saying that the win against Pittsburgh was MORE satisfying because he honestly felt that the habs deserved to win that one.

Take that comment as you may, but it sounds to me like he feels the win against the caps had a bit more luck involved.

I'd take that as a compliment if I were a caps fan.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:22 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
If you're asking about last year teams, the caps lookes stronger and more explosive to my eye.

But this year, I love the changes Pit made to their D plus the maturation of Letang, face it : They are better than you !
Yeah they have a really strong D and Letang has really shined this year. Honestly I know most people will say I'm a homer but we are better than them. If you can shut down one of malkin or Crosby then you will beat them. They have 2 superstars and the rest are marginal second liners and 3rd/4th liners. They have no depth. And each time we played them this year we outplayed them. We forechecked the crap out of them and they had a lot of trouble getting it out of their zone.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

IMO the Pens are a better balanced team, I take the Pens over the Caps and they have what it takes to get it done, honestly I'm not scared of playing the Caps. Right now the Pens and Flyers are the 2 teams I would be worried about in the East

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:48 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
IMO the Pens are a better balanced team, I take the Pens over the Caps and they have what it takes to get it done, honestly I'm not scared of playing the Caps. Right now the Pens and Flyers are the 2 teams I would be worried about in the East
Having said that, you can clearly tell that the caps are changing their identity this season. Boudreau has made adjustments and is trying to make this team more defensively aware. They went through some major hardships during the transition but they finally seem to be reaping the benefits for sticking with it.

Based on this philosophical change and the players actually buying into it, I wouldn't be surprised to see the caps be the better team by april.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Yeah they have a really strong D and Letang has really shined this year. Honestly I know most people will say I'm a homer but we are better than them. If you can shut down one of malkin or Crosby then you will beat them. They have 2 superstars and the rest are marginal second liners and 3rd/4th liners. They have no depth. And each time we played them this year we outplayed them. We forechecked the crap out of them and they had a lot of trouble getting it out of their zone.
That seems to be easier said than done ; only the mighty Isles can shut down Sid...

Seriously though, I agree the depth at forward is clearly not a strong suit of them, but with Staal coming back and Kunitz finding his game, they are fine ; they'll probably add a rental winger at the deadline and be good to go. They made the wise choice investing their cap dollar on stronger D cause evidently Sid can carry a line on his own

In my view Pit is the big dog in the East, followed by Philly then you guys. Your D ain't at that level and I don't think Hannan is the answer

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:45 PM
tinyzombies

The Pens have a better team defense, but no wingers. And they know how to win, obviously. But I think they are a team in decline right now, overall.

The Caps have the potential to take the next step on D and in the net, if Varlamov can stay healthy and Carlson and Alzner are able to take on bigger roles. There have been rumors that Ovechkin is fat, and it's showing. But he has time before the playoffs to get fit. I think the ceiling for the Caps is much higher because of their depth. They'll take a run either this year or next.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:09 AM
habtastic

As "bad" as the Caps have been at the start of the season, IMO, last year, the Pens seemed tougher but only because
- defending champs
- I don't think we all (or many ftm) expected to come back 3-1 against the Caps and the way that it happened made it seem to me as though the Caps were lacking that extra gear (Ovi/Semin/Green couldn't find the back of the net despite how awesome Halak was when it counted)
- There was more pressure on us facing the Pens cuz we had just accomplished something pretty huge + there was already a rivalry with them, we knew they hated us (more now) and wanted to beat us badly

This year, from what I've seen in Pitt, the only thing that scares me is Crosby. I think he's still a bigger game changer than Ovechkin. Otherwise I think the Caps are figuring out ways to piece together a solid team and we all know you need everyone working together to get there. I'd be more afraid of the Caps this year. Also, screw Pens fans. They benefited more from drafts than you (marginally) and don't like to admit it. Congrats on the Classic win. No reason to think Pitt is > than Washington. It's way too close.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:00 AM
THE HOFF

The caps had it in their hands. Not going to comment any specific games but seems like the selfishness on the top 2 lines made it easier for our defence to block a lot of shots. It gave confidence to our defence and our goalie...and to me that was the turning point...

with the pens you know once you take crosby out you have a fair shot... it seemed ''easier'' to get passed the pens... much more confident heading into last game. We weren't getting outplayed as much.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:19 AM
Dont Poke Subban

Quote:
Hey guys I just had a question. Im just sick of Pens fans saying every time we beat them its a fluke but when they beat us its cuz they are better than us. IMHO we are a better team. But I wanted to know what you guys thought...Last year in the playoffs who was better? Pens or Caps?
hmmm i think for me, it's the same since both series went 7 games. but if we're going to talk about game 7s, i'd go with caps. they showed up with more heart, passion while pens didnt.. especially gonchar/fleury.. until now, i still couldnt believe how MOEN easily scored that sh goal.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:06 AM
neofury*

I actually like the caps and despise the pens so it pains me to say it but the pens are the better team especially this season. I think the pens have a solid all around team. Caps to me have always been a question mark defensively and often times in goaltending as well. I know the goalies you guys have now are pretty solid but not proven really. Even though I've never been a Fleury fan there's no denying even if it was on a really good team that he won the cup with them. I won't say he won them the cup but it was a team effort.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote