HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

News & Notes 2010-2011

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Duke33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Friedman's column/30 thoughts this week (always) is pretty awesome. Focuses on the caps.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...-thoughts.html
Interesting to note/hear that BB essentially put in a trap defense overnight and it started paying results. That can't be right...the same BB that can't make changes or adjustments and according to many here needed to be fired a couple weeks ago?

Loved Theo's comments. Because he's been such a juggernaut backstop for the stingy Wild. I've seen some of his highlights with On the Fly. He's still letting in beachballs and his GA, save % etc is just as bad if not a little higher with Minnesota than it was here.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:34 AM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Interesting to note/hear that BB essentially put in a trap defense overnight and it started paying results. That can't be right...the same BB that can't make changes or adjustments and according to many here needed to be fired a couple weeks ago?

Loved Theo's comments. Because he's been such a juggernaut backstop for the stingy Wild. I've seen some of his highlights with On the Fly. He's still letting in beachballs and his GA, save % etc is just as bad if not a little higher with Minnesota than it was here.
Well good on him for finally adjusting. I guess the fact that this is the first time in his coaching career he's added it shows the severity of the situation. To me he saved his job with that move... Interesting of course that it also mentions that his defensemen were ill equipped to play his system properly but it took him 3+ years to adjust to it. Just playing devils advocate.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:53 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
Well good on him for finally adjusting. I guess the fact that this is the first time in his coaching career he's added it shows the severity of the situation. To me he saved his job with that move... Interesting of course that it also mentions that his defensemen were ill equipped to play his system properly but it took him 3+ years to adjust to it. Just playing devils advocate.
Great post. I couldnt agree more. Nice devils advocate disclaimer too, to keep the peace. If his job was never in doubt in his mind, that he and his systems were perfect, why did he implement the trap? Its great to see him adjusting, until a few weeks ago, all we really got a was a long overdue tweak to the PK.

So he made a tweak to the weakside of defensive coverage. Rest assured I think its simply a forward getting their ass back and playing defense. If anyone can express a bit more eloquently what is happening, go for it. I am curious.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:09 AM
andrewtabs

Ovechkin and Varly's sportscenter commercial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkJednDFJGA

Old
01-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

He had to do a 180 and implement a trap overnight because the players all but tuned out his system that wasn't working and he was about to be fired for it.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:15 AM
schwoogiejoe

hilarious!

Old
01-04-2011, 11:18 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
He had to do a 180 and implement a trap overnight because the players all but tuned out his system that wasn't working and he was about to be fired for it.
And he would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids!

Old
01-04-2011, 04:14 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtabs View Post
Ovechkin and Varly's sportscenter commercial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkJednDFJGA
Just saw it on real TV during Around the Horn. Hilarious

Old
01-04-2011, 04:51 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
And he would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids!
And truth be told, if the meddling kids knew anything about crime solving, they'd be in the police force.

Old
01-05-2011, 01:19 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

The WaPo quote generator is kind of cool.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...-pens-hbo.html

My favorite was Hannan talking to the ref...
Quote:
He slashes the goalie, I'll punch him. You can take us both, you can't take one, though.

Old
01-05-2011, 02:26 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The WaPo quote generator is kind of cool.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...-pens-hbo.html

My favorite was Hannan talking to the ref...
Thanks for the link.

The obvious best quote of the series:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Knuble
Today it's three-zero, and it will not [bleeping] be one of these laughers again. It will not [bleeping] turn into a five-zero, seven-zero [bleeping] laugher, where they're [bleeping] giggling, getting out of their [bleeping] mess here. We are [bleeping] down three-zero, and we are going to come back and we're gonna [bleeping] win this thing.

Old
01-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I wuv knuble. <3

I found this gem from none other than Sidney Crosby:
"You gonna [bleepin'] call that? [Bleep] off! [Bleep] you! [Bleepin'] [bleep]. [Bleep]. [Bleepin'] [bleep]. Right in the [bleepin'] face? That's a [bleepin'] joke."

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
I'm waiting for him to adjust again to try and find a happy medium between his old system and our offense-numbing trap. It was a lot easier to create turnovers and enter their zone with speed using his old system, which helped Ovechkin and the rest of our skill players shine. I love that BB made an adjustment and that we're now capable of containing even the best offenses (as evidenced by our last couple games), but I'm praying that he can make another to restore our offense without destroying our newfound defense and grit. I fear that he might not, though.

And to play devil's advocate against your devil's advocate, while the defense may be, as a whole, better than it was, you could definitely argue that it's less mobile than it used to be. Poti was more mobile prior to his recent string of injuries, and Pothier/Corvo are definitely more mobile than guys like Hannan, Erskine, and Schultz. Hell, even TFS is a decent skater (albeit he can't do anything else). Granted, there was ShaMo and Jurcina, so it really did depend on which members of our revolving cast of defense were playing on any given night.

Last edited by Mystlyfe: 01-05-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old
01-05-2011, 03:37 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
That quote wouldn't be nearly as badass if the Capitals didn't go out there and [bleeping] win that thing afterwards. But they [bleeping] won.
I wuv knuble. <3
Uh, no they didn't. That was the Boston game.

Old
01-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Uh, no they didn't. That was the Boston game.
That wasn't during the Senators game? Crap.

Old
01-06-2011, 09:40 AM

Alex Ovechkin is wearing a gold practice jersey, which usually signifies no contact. #Caps

Katie via Twitter

Old
01-06-2011, 10:06 AM
txpd

* Interesting that many in the league think Ovechkin is sandbagging.

* Agree...Loved the Hannan quote...Isn't what he said really the same as, "You hit the kid. I hit you." ??

* Love Hannan.

Old
01-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Vabeachblue

ovi is injured

it looks like something is actually wrong with his left hand/wrist
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=548607

Old
01-06-2011, 06:18 PM
txpd

this is not news

Old
01-06-2011, 06:27 PM
txpd

and corey has Ovechkin getting a cortisone shot in the left wrist today. i am pretty sure that i posted some time ago when we were talking about ovechkin being injured that we might would see something after the winter classic. and so here it is.

Old
01-06-2011, 06:45 PM
EroCaps

Well, it looks like Ovechkin is playing without arms so if it's been a simple matter of getting over an injury then I'm actually relieved.

There was a period where he wasn't skating as hard, though. Still odd.

Old
01-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Foy

Holy crap guys! The earth is ROUND!

Old
01-06-2011, 07:23 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
There was a period where he wasn't skating as hard, though. Still odd.
young guy, cant score like when body parts worked get frustrated. gets straightened out by coach sitting in the stands during practice. starts skating hard and learning what its like to be one of those character pluggers like matt bradley. all the heart in the world but limited by hands that dont work as well as others.
earns more respect from his mates for sucking it up.

odd? more normal maybe.

Old
01-06-2011, 08:00 PM
third man in

Well you're all wrong. Ovechkin isn't a leader, he's past his prime, lazy, fat (according to one Pens fan from Quebec), and stupid.

I'm being sarcastic of course, just digging up what I've read for the last week on the main boards.

Old
01-06-2011, 08:30 PM
txpd

i am not sure if the caps are the most hated and least respected team in the league, but they have to be close.

here's hoping they have it in them one way or the other to set the record straight.

Old
01-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

I messed my wrist up last year and it bothered me for a couple of months. Ended up getting a cortisone shot and had my wrist in a brace for a couple of days. And after a week I was able to use it again pain free. It's been a year now and it hasn't bothered me since.

Closed Thread