HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks could be involved in 2012 Winter Classic

Old
01-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Jesus Toews*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_zero94 View Post
i think a New York vs Toronto game would work.
No chance in hell NBC agrees to a Canadian team.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:29 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
So if the game is in Denver, watch for the Rangers or Detroit to be the opponent.
It would never be Rangers @ Avalanche. If there ever is an east vs. west in the Winter Classic, this definitely wouldn't be it.

And I agree that a Canadian team will never be in the Winter Classic.

rangerssharks414 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Mafoofoo
Custom User Title

Sharks will never be in a Winter Classic. LA has the best chance of any California team to be in one and even then it's almost a zero percent chance. NBC loves least coast teams, Detroit and Chicago. Feels bad man.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:43 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
NBC loves least coast teams, Detroit and Chicago.
As does every other sports outlet that cares about hockey.

The Blackhawks and the Red Wings are the only Western Conference teams the media cares about because their technically not in the west. Columbus, St. Louis and Nashville really aren't in the west either.

Old
01-02-2011, 03:40 PM
TheNeutral

Send a message via AIM to TheNeutral
is ABC west coast based? if ESPN/ABC were to get back into the fold next year when the VS/NBC deal is up, i could see this increasing chances of some western conference teams getting a WC.

TheNeutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:23 PM
StalockSuperfan

Sharks in Detroit could be good.

StalockSuperfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Kitten Mittons

It'll be Detroit-Colorado

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:13 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
The Winter Classic won't ever have a Canadian team in it and it will always have a team from a large TV market involved.

So if the game is in Denver, watch for the Rangers or Detroit to be the opponent.
The Sharks have an overall top 10 TV market in the league. They are closing in on the benchmark (very, very close) that would preclude revenue sharing. That said, the Sharks' ratings are not top end like Detroit. But, neither do the Avs have high ratings. The Sharks are creeping up the list for local ratings, far outdistancing their California counterparts in raw audience and percent of audience. Last I looked, they were neck and neck with Boston for raw audience. IIRC, they are near or in the top ten for percent of local audience for US teams.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
The Sharks have an overall top 10 TV market in the league. They are closing in on the benchmark (very, very close) that would preclude revenue sharing. That said, the Sharks' ratings are not top end like Detroit. But, neither do the Avs have high ratings. The Sharks are creeping up the list for local ratings, far outdistancing their California counterparts in raw audience and percent of audience. Last I looked, they were neck and neck with Boston for raw audience. IIRC, they are near or in the top ten for percent of local audience for US teams.
What is San Jose ranking for market size in the US?

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:28 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
They may have very good local ratings, but they don't have much of a fanbase outside of California. At least I don't think they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
It'll be Detroit-Colorado
I think the Red Wings would get a chance to host a game first. They already played on the road once.

Old
01-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Kitten Mittons

I personally think it will be New York hosting. NY - Philly. Ratings up the wazoo.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:56 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
What is San Jose ranking for market size in the US?
kdb probably has really good numbers.

When they wrote the CBA, there were 4 markets (7 teams, because of 3 NY metro teams, 2 LA teams) that were precluded from rev. share, NY, Chi, LA and ?. Dallas and Philly are right on the cusp of that CBA benchmark as well as SJ. That would put SJ between 5 and 7.

In terms of the Sharks, I don't know how much transplant (out of area) viewers a game would draw. I know the Wings win that one hands down. Detroit and Buffalo are small markets but their percent of audience is absolutely huge. The local ratings are interesting. I suspect the Sharks do well in part because of the lack of competitiveness of their other professional winter sports teams. I look at the Sharks as the most likely Pac Div. team to sneak in for a national audience.

(PS, I wasn't knocking Boston for being near equal with the Sharks. Their percent of audience is far higher. I was just trying to give you an idea of numbers.)

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:28 PM
triplea112

2012 winter classic: pens vs caps at fedex field

triplea112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Artful_Dodger*

Seriously?

Artful_Dodger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:06 PM
MrGajman

As much as I would love for the Sharks to be involved in the 2012 Winter Classic, I highly doubt they'll give them a shot just yet. If the Avs are picked for next year, their most likely opponent would probably be Detroit.

I would however love to see the HBO special 24/7 on the Sharks so I definitely hope they are picked.

MrGajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:34 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplea112 View Post
2012 winter classic: pens vs caps at fedex field
That would not shock me one bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGajman View Post
I would however love to see the HBO special 24/7 on the Sharks so I definitely hope they are picked.
I'm not sure how the ratings were for the 24/7 thing, but I highly doubt they have another one. They only did this one because it was Crosby vs. Ovechkin.

Old
01-02-2011, 10:54 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
we cant even get in a regular season game on NBC, what makes you think they'd put us in the WC?

no chance of this happening. we're behind LA on the depth chart, and they're not getting in it either.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 10:58 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I personally think it will be New York hosting. NY - Philly. Ratings up the wazoo.
they've already discussed NY, but too much other stuff going on in New York State (at that time) so its not happening. They would have done NY - WAS, if it could be done.

New Years Eve (cleanup), Christmas takes up too much attention annually. not enough police would be available either.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:34 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

I know the process isn't fair by any means, but I think if a Pacific or Northwest team isn't involved, even as the road team, there will be a lot of media ruckus.

I also personally think it's overdue for a inter-conference matchup. That's why I say Kings at Rangers.

BUT I can't really disagree with the possibilities of Rangers at Detroit or DET/COL (either U of M or Mile High), at least in terms of likelihood.

In a perfect world, this is what happens: NHL announces 2012 Winter Classic, but it's really in 2011: December 31, 2011, Sharks at Rangers. Not Jan 1 since Jan 1, 2012 is a Sunday and they want to avoid competing with the NFL, who barely avoids a lockout. The NHL also announces Rangers at Sharks for a week before the Classic to get juices flowing. The "2012" WC is a Saturday mid-afternoon affair, but with far less competition than this one from other sports, 10 million people watch the classic West v. East battle in the US blowing away all previous Winter Classics and showing the NHL and NBC that West Coast teams should get air time on NBC so that the hockey world can get a full view of the NHL.

A hockey fan can dream, right?

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 02:31 AM
MrGajman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
I'm not sure how the ratings were for the 24/7 thing, but I highly doubt they have another one. They only did this one because it was Crosby vs. Ovechkin.
You're probably right, but I'm hoping the ratings were good since I'd love to see the 24/7 on other teams (Sharks included). It'd be nice if they do it again so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
In a perfect world, this is what happens: NHL announces 2012 Winter Classic, but it's really in 2011: December 31, 2011, Sharks at Rangers. Not Jan 1 since Jan 1, 2012 is a Sunday and they want to avoid competing with the NFL, who barely avoids a lockout. The NHL also announces Rangers at Sharks for a week before the Classic to get juices flowing. The "2012" WC is a Saturday mid-afternoon affair, but with far less competition than this one from other sports, 10 million people watch the classic West v. East battle in the US blowing away all previous Winter Classics and showing the NHL and NBC that West Coast teams should get air time on NBC so that the hockey world can get a full view of the NHL.

A hockey fan can dream, right?
I would love to see that matchup, although after this year's crazy epic Flyers/Sharks match, I wouldn't mind seeing these 2 teams go at it at the Winter Classic. But since the Flyers did play in one WC already, they're not likely to be an opponent, so Sharks/Rangers is fine by me.

MrGajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:43 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGajman View Post
I would love to see that matchup, although after this year's crazy epic Flyers/Sharks match, I wouldn't mind seeing these 2 teams go at it at the Winter Classic. But since the Flyers did play in one WC already, they're not likely to be an opponent, so Sharks/Rangers is fine by me.
What makes you think they wouldn't pick the Flyers (again!? ) Just like the Pens were picked again! (UGH!)

I'm all for it but as we know NBC doesn't think west past the Missippi!

HOOCH2173 is online now   Reply With Quote