HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gauthier at the Trade Deadline

Old
01-04-2011, 08:23 AM
BigHabs

vCash: 500
Gauthier at the Trade Deadline

I believe we will be pushing for a playoff spot.

The Habs have been very quite the past few years at the deadline. Moore last year was acquired before so.... I guess we can count him sort of as a move.

I think Gautheir is trying to make this a very hard working team with no loose ends, from first line right through to the backup goalie.

I think from last years playoffs, running into a big team like Philadelphia, we saw the need for some size. Pacioretty has added to the department, but I believe we are lacking one more big guy up front. Possibly one big tough guy for the bottom 6.

We also kind of need a defensive dman 4-6 role.

I think Gauthier is capable of getting us pieces. I find he has done a good job so far with the team. Looking forward to deadline, hopefully we can make a decent pickup while not crippling our team in a specfic area.

Just simple question Busy or Not? You can put up names of interest if you like. He has been busy so far half way through the year, but I don't know if he is trying to get his shopping done before the big rush at the deadline. I just want to know if it is going to be a different year, compared to the last couple of years, us staying status quo at the deadline and it costing/not costing us.

Costing us - not acquiring pieces to go deep
Not Costing us - not giving up good prospects and youth to make a run.

"Sometimes the best moves you make, are the ones you dont make"

Last edited by BigHabs: 01-04-2011 at 08:30 AM.
BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:54 AM
neofury*

I think we'll go after Langenbrunner as the Devils will be doing a mass sale At least I personally think they will.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:55 AM
GoHomez

I wouldn't mind Gauthier picking up a player or two, I just dont know what could be sent the other way that would bring anything valuable back and not creating another hole in the line-up.

1st rounder, AK, Leblanc, Tinordi?

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:56 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
I believe we will be pushing for a playoff spot.

The Habs have been very quite the past few years at the deadline. Moore last year was acquired before so.... I guess we can count him sort of as a move.

I think Gautheir is trying to make this a very hard working team with no loose ends, from first line right through to the backup goalie.

I think from last years playoffs, running into a big team like Philadelphia, we saw the need for some size. Pacioretty has added to the department, but I believe we are lacking one more big guy up front. Possibly one big tough guy for the bottom 6.

We also kind of need a defensive dman 4-6 role.

I think Gauthier is capable of getting us pieces. I find he has done a good job so far with the team. Looking forward to deadline, hopefully we can make a decent pickup while not crippling our team in a specfic area.

Just simple question Busy or Not? You can put up names of interest if you like. He has been busy so far half way through the year, but I don't know if he is trying to get his shopping done before the big rush at the deadline. I just want to know if it is going to be a different year, compared to the last couple of years, us staying status quo at the deadline and it costing/not costing us.

Costing us - not acquiring pieces to go deep
Not Costing us - not giving up good prospects and youth to make a run.

"Sometimes the best moves you make, are the ones you dont make"
Goons are useless come playoffs time (and most of the time).

We need Markov back (which won't happen) and a great offensive player (which we won't get)...

They'll barely make or miss the playoffs just like last year... if Price pulls a Halak, we might be able to reach second round, but that's it.

So, yeah, Gauthier will do the usual small trade that will help the team compete for a playoffs spot, but that will never make this team a cup contender.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:59 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

We need Markov back (which won't happen) and a great offensive player (which we won't get)...

They'll barely make or miss the playoffs just like last year... if Price pulls a Halak, we might be able to reach second round, but that's it.

So, yeah, Gauthier will do the usual small trade that will help the team compete for a playoffs spot, but that will never make this team a cup contender.
Love the optimism

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Whatever happens I hope we don't make any panic deals, given that it's a weak draft and we really needed a PMD, I really like the Wisniewski trade, but I don't want to trade any of our top young players(Kristo LeBlanc Weber Pacioretty Subban Eller Tinordi 2011 1st) to plug a hole.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving Pouliot in the right deal but hopefully not a rental.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:08 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Love the optimism
No, it's call 15 years of mismanagement.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:19 AM
BigHabs

Quote:

I was thinking of someone like a Moen when I meant tough sorry. I am in the same boat, I don't think we need goons like others say we do, to stick up for others.

I think if we could get a player like a Clark or Moreau out of Columbus. I know they have a big hit to the cap, but they are RFA's and they have playoff experience and Moreau made it to the cup finals with Edmonton a few years back.

Last edited by BigHabs: 01-04-2011 at 09:24 AM.
BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I think a guy like Eager that can play would fit, a guy who can keep up with the play and bang bodies, maybe chip in 4-5 goals.

Old
01-04-2011, 09:35 AM
PinchedNerve

Quote:
I understand that based on history you're probably going to be right, but why are you a fan if you're so bitter about it? If you feel there's no reason to be optimistic, then piss off some place.

PinchedNerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:37 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
I wouldn't mind Gauthier picking up a player or two, I just dont know what could be sent the other way that would bring anything valuable back and not creating another hole in the line-up.

1st rounder, AK, Leblanc, Tinordi?
You'd really give up valuable assets to go for the gold this year?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
For a team so mismanaged they have had a lot of success the last few years and drafted/traded for some pretty good young players.

Old
01-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchedNerve View Post
I understand that based on history you're probably going to be right, but why are you a fan if you're so bitter about it? If you feel there's no reason to be optimistic, then piss off some place.
piss off to people who want this to be HockeyCheerleadingboard.com and who want censorship of other fans who demand excellence and demand being part of something other than a herd of sheep.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:52 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
No. I have a pretty long list of assets I wouldn't move to make a push this year, including most of our prospects.

A 3rd or a 4th maybe, but would that net a solid return?
Moving AK would be a lateral move, maybe we are lucky and it pans out, maybe not.

EDIT: In short, yes I'd like the upgrade, but I dont want to pay the price.
Don't we all?!

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:53 AM
PinchedNerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
piss off to people who want this to be HockeyCheerleadingboard.com and who want censorship of other fans who demand excellence and demand being part of something other than a herd of sheep.
I want excellence, but I try to hope for excellence rather than mope about how awful the past 17 years have been.

PinchedNerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:04 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I agree that a little patience is required and Gauthier has made some nice moves to improve the team but we need one more year to really solidify the roster. If he can do that through free agent signings, prospects moving up, off season trades and addition by subtraction (Hal Gill) THEN he can look at picking up that last missing piece at NEXT YEAR's deadline (and maybe overpaying for it).

Overpaying this year would be a huge mistake. I think we have just a few too many holes to fill, and in trying to go for it all, we would fall short AND further jeopardize our chances next year.

I am long term optimistic and short term realistic if Gauthier pursues this route.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:06 AM
skipp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I think we'll go after Langenbrunner as the Devils will be doing a mass sale At least I personally think they will.
I can see the Penguins going hard after Langenbrunner.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
I have said it before and will say it again. I want Gauthier to go after Iginla if he is available. No, it would not necessarily for a cup run this year. It would be for the next two, when we have Markov back and a full season of a consistent top six instead of moronic line juggling that shows Moen on the first line.

Following that I would love to acquire a solid bottom sixer, preferably for the third line. A real work horse with talent to sub into the second line on those rare occasions. Hansen (Vancouver), Versteeg (Toronto.) Those types but obviously not those players in particular. Someone like Kaleta would be fantastic.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:19 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
If you ask me it's people like you who are the sheep. If anything being optimistic about the habs in Montreal is borderline frowned upon.

Maybe not on HF because I guess HF is a site for people that actually care about hockey not just bash the team they probably don't even watch play.

And I'm not saying you don't watch the games but I've seen so many haters in my day who have zero hockey knowledge and are just bandwagon haters that it amazes me that people like you often come on here and make comments like this.

HF may be a habs cheerleading board but only for the fact that the rest of Montreal outside of the interwebs are such blatant haters who have no hockey knowledge and just regurgitate whatever they see or hear on TV/Radio.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:21 AM
WestIslander

All Gauthier is going to do at the dealine is pick up a spare part like a 3rd or 4th line grinder and/or another defenseman.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Goons are useless come playoffs time (and most of the time).We need Markov back (which won't happen) and a great offensive player (which we won't get)...

He's not talking about goons, his talking about guys like Eager, Neil, Prust, etc.

Don't tell me those guys are useless come playoff time 'cause you'll make me die of laughing!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:23 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I agree that a little patience is required and Gauthier has made some nice moves to improve the team but we need one more year to really solidify the roster. If he can do that through free agent signings, prospects moving up, off season trades and addition by subtraction (Hal Gill) THEN he can look at picking up that last missing piece at NEXT YEAR's deadline (and maybe overpaying for it).

Overpaying this year would be a huge mistake. I think we have just a few too many holes to fill, and in trying to go for it all, we would fall short AND further jeopardize our chances next year.

I am long term optimistic and short term realistic if Gauthier pursues this route.
I agree with the people saying this isn't our year and that we shouldn't get a rental. But where I find a lot of people go wrong is their assumption that a deadline deal can't be one made for the future of the team.

What if Calgary trades us Iginla at the deadline and he rocks on our team? Maybe it won't help us this year but we can plug the holes in July and then have one hell of a team. You can't just assume a deal done this year or at deadline is done purely for this year. Wis will be re-signed and was nabbed for a reason. If we make a trade make no mistake it won't be because we're making a push for the cup, don't get me wrong every playoff team is trying to win, but it will be more of a future move than anything.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
HF may be a habs cheerleading board but only for the fact that the rest of Montreal outside of the interwebs are such blatant haters who have no hockey knowledge and just regurgitate whatever they see or hear on TV/Radio.
What a sad, sad statement. "Whaaa, everybody hates the Habs except for us..."

Only HFboards members have hockey knowledge.
Everybody else is a hater.
Everybody else is a moron.

Have you looked at the forum you moderate lately?

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:42 AM
ruski17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
He's not talking about goons, his talking about guys like Eager, Neil, Prust, etc.

Don't tell me those guys are useless come playoff time 'cause you'll make me die of laughing!
Trust me, Martin will find a way to make them useless.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:43 AM
JayBee*

Too many holes to make a run, IMO.

I'm not confident in any area on this team.

forwards
defensemen
goaltending

Free agency will give us the ability to plug a lot of those holes.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote