HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers waive Michael Leighton; cleared waivers, sent to Phantoms (AHL)

Old
01-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I get SOOOOO frustrated at the errors hockey "writers"/"analysts" make.
I just wish they could get the basics right... it's their *ing job to know how this crap works and explain it to people. CSN screws up cap related rules consistently.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:11 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just wish they could get the basics right... it's their *ing job to know how this crap works and explain it to people. CSN screws up cap related rules consistently.
CSN could be interchanged with the word Holmgren in that sentence

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Well, isn't Lisa Hilary like a hockey specific person... thought she came from one of the Canadian networks.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:15 AM
jb**

Quote:
BTW... anyone else watch CSN and hear Lisa Hilary screw up the difference between waivers and re-entry waivers? She claimed that if he's claimed the team will be on the hook for half his salary...

It would be pretty awesome if people getting paid to cover the sport knew the rules of the sport.
my wife didnt appreciate the name i called her, as she is used to getting called it herself. The fact it was taped makes it even worse. Go back and chekc before you air it.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:19 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Well, isn't Lisa Hilary like a hockey specific person... thought she came from one of the Canadian networks.
yeah I just meant Holmgren also screws up cap rules constantly

Old
01-04-2011, 10:28 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'm not convinced an emergency call-up would even be possible. Why would the NHL grant us the exception for Leighton who would need to clear re-entry waivers under normal circumstances, when we have other emergency call-up options that would not need to clear re-entry under normal circumstances such as Riopel.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=122

Just need league approval. If a goalie goes down due to injury, you argue that Backlund isn't an NHL goaltender or NHL ready, but Leighton is a proven NHL goalie. Then when our goalie returns, Leighton goes back to the AHL.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=122

Just need league approval. If a goalie goes down due to injury, you argue that Backlund isn't an NHL goaltender or NHL ready, but Leighton is a proven NHL goalie. Then when our goalie returns, Leighton goes back to the AHL.
Well, Backlund has to go through waivers too.

Not sure why the NHL would care that the Flyers have goalies on their ledger that they don't deem "NHL ready". I mean, sure, maybe... but I think it would be perfectly justifiable for the league to tell them to recall the guy that doesn't need to go through waivers in an emergency situation.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:35 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Well, Backlund has to go through waivers too.

Not sure why the NHL would care that the Flyers have goalies on their ledger that they don't deem "NHL ready". I mean, sure, maybe... but I think it would be perfectly justifiable for the league to tell them to recall the guy that doesn't need to go through waivers in an emergency situation.
Well if Backlund and Leighton have to go through waivers, and Riopel doesnt have an NHL contract, do we have to call up the ECHL guy Stewart or whatever his name was?

Old
01-04-2011, 10:40 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
She came from Washington, I believe, which could explain her lack of hockey IQ. They didn't know the sport existed until 4 years ago.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Jester

Quote:
Well if Backlund and Leighton have to go through waivers, and Riopel doesnt have an NHL contract, do we have to call up the ECHL guy Stewart or whatever his name was?
Is Riopel on an AHL contract? Didn't know that... in that case, if you're under 50 you could buy the contract into a NHL contract (what SJ did with Boucher a couple years back).

It's just tough to argue that there is an "emergency" and Leighton is your only option.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
She came from Washington, I believe, which could explain her lack of hockey IQ. They didn't know the sport existed until 4 years ago.
She may have been down with Comcast DC (they do a lot of inside hiring/moves), but she was with TSN previously.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:49 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
She may have been down with Comcast DC (they do a lot of inside hiring/moves), but she was with TSN previously.
Oh, Idk about her long term career, but I remember the Orange Line making a big deal about her coming and how she cried when she left Washington because she had called it home for so long.

I have a really good long term memory.

Old
01-04-2011, 10:50 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Is Riopel on an AHL contract? Didn't know that... in that case, if you're under 50 you could buy the contract into a NHL contract (what SJ did with Boucher a couple years back).

It's just tough to argue that there is an "emergency" and Leighton is your only option.
Yea.

The only "emergency" I could see, and I don't even know if this would be possible, is if somehow, on a road trip a goalie gets hurt, and last minute we need someone and Leighton happens to be in the area for something, and he's the only goalie in the organization that can make it in time. I can't see that happening though. Because Leighton would only be somewhere because of the Phantoms which means Riopel is there too, so the argument still stands.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:12 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
She came from Washington, but she grew up in Ottawa.

Regardless, yesterday she confirmed that she really is as stupid as she looks. She said Holmgren wouldn't trade him because he didn't want Leighton, which must be why he's exposed on waivers. Also said Yzerman should want Leighton over Roloson...um, remember what happened in 2006? Roloson had a good playoff with the Wild in 2003 also.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
BTW... anyone else watch CSN and hear Lisa Hilary screw up the difference between waivers and re-entry waivers? She claimed that if he's claimed the team will be on the hook for half his salary...

It would be pretty awesome if people getting paid to cover the sport knew the rules of the sport.
Quote:
Which is proof that some of the more knowledgeable fans on here do actually know more then the people actually involved in the sport.

However, it is absolutely terrible that someone literally being paid to cover hockey, doesn't even know how waivers work. I can understand not knowing the details of the whole CBA considering how large and complicated the CBA is, but waivers are a really common, important, and easy thing to know. So to be paid to cover hockey and not know how they work is kind of shameful. If it were any normal job you would get hell for being around so long and not knowing how something so common and important works.

Also, she worked for the Caps before us IIRC. Have no clue why she came here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
She came from Washington, but she grew up in Ottawa.

Regardless, yesterday she confirmed that she really is as stupid as she looks. She said Holmgren wouldn't trade him because he didn't want Leighton, which must be why he's exposed on waivers. Also said Yzerman should want Leighton over Roloson...um, remember what happened in 2006? Roloson had a good playoff with the Wild in 2003 also.
I can't stand Lisa Hillary. She doesn't seem to know the sport all that well, she's not all that attractive, and she usually doesn't ever have anything of good substance to add to conversations.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I can't stand Lisa Hillary. She doesn't seem to know the sport all that well, she's not all that attractive, and she usually doesn't ever have anything of good substance to add to conversations.
You forgot that her voice is raspy and grates on your nerves.

You really hit the nail on the head, though, at least the other blond is something to look at.

Old
01-04-2011, 12:13 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Leighton apparently cleared.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Leighton apparently cleared.
Was that on NHL Live? Still looking for a definitive answer, often comes out well after noon.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:18 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Was that on NHL Live? Still looking for a definitive answer, often comes out well after noon.
Per DNFlyers.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Damn you, NYI. I guess they're waiting for Homer to inexplicably call up Leighton when Shelley gets suspended again.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Per DNFlyers.
Thanks. Obviously they're sitting by the phone across the desk at Homer's fingertips.
Oh, well. Thanks Islanders, Oilers, Sabres, Habs and whoever else maybe could have used him.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:31 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

imagine that. Did anyone honestly expect him to be claimed? I still dont think Holmgren sends him to the AHL.

no one is going to take 1.5 million this year and next for a back up goalie. If some team thought it was a good deal he would of been claimed. see the Isles who just lost Dippy. again.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:31 PM
kicksave27

Snow didn't claim him?! Noooooooooooooo! That means homer will recall him for no reason and some team will pick him up just to screw us. Which means MFL and shelley will be eating almost 2 mil in cap space. Where's joe banner when you need him.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
imagine that. Did anyone honestly expect him to be claimed? I still dont think Holmgren sends him to the AHL.

no one is going to take 1.5 million this year and next for a back up goalie. If some team thought it was a good deal he would of been claimed. see the Isles who just lost Dippy. again.
Islanders would have made a certain amount of sense given the problems with Ricky D, and their never ending quest to reach the salary floor.

Old
01-04-2011, 12:37 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Kinda feel bad for Stewart, gets AHL player of the week and now doesnt know if he even has a job.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote