HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers waive Michael Leighton; cleared waivers, sent to Phantoms (AHL)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2011, 10:04 AM
  #201
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I get SOOOOO frustrated at the errors hockey "writers"/"analysts" make.
I just wish they could get the basics right... it's their *ing job to know how this crap works and explain it to people. CSN screws up cap related rules consistently.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:11 AM
  #202
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just wish they could get the basics right... it's their *ing job to know how this crap works and explain it to people. CSN screws up cap related rules consistently.
CSN could be interchanged with the word Holmgren in that sentence

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:12 AM
  #203
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
CSN could be interchanged with the word Holmgren in that sentence
Well, isn't Lisa Hilary like a hockey specific person... thought she came from one of the Canadian networks.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:15 AM
  #204
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
BTW... anyone else watch CSN and hear Lisa Hilary screw up the difference between waivers and re-entry waivers? She claimed that if he's claimed the team will be on the hook for half his salary...

It would be pretty awesome if people getting paid to cover the sport knew the rules of the sport.
my wife didnt appreciate the name i called her, as she is used to getting called it herself. The fact it was taped makes it even worse. Go back and chekc before you air it.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:19 AM
  #205
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, isn't Lisa Hilary like a hockey specific person... thought she came from one of the Canadian networks.
yeah I just meant Holmgren also screws up cap rules constantly

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:28 AM
  #206
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'm not convinced an emergency call-up would even be possible. Why would the NHL grant us the exception for Leighton who would need to clear re-entry waivers under normal circumstances, when we have other emergency call-up options that would not need to clear re-entry under normal circumstances such as Riopel.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=122

Just need league approval. If a goalie goes down due to injury, you argue that Backlund isn't an NHL goaltender or NHL ready, but Leighton is a proven NHL goalie. Then when our goalie returns, Leighton goes back to the AHL.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:32 AM
  #207
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=122

Just need league approval. If a goalie goes down due to injury, you argue that Backlund isn't an NHL goaltender or NHL ready, but Leighton is a proven NHL goalie. Then when our goalie returns, Leighton goes back to the AHL.
Well, Backlund has to go through waivers too.

Not sure why the NHL would care that the Flyers have goalies on their ledger that they don't deem "NHL ready". I mean, sure, maybe... but I think it would be perfectly justifiable for the league to tell them to recall the guy that doesn't need to go through waivers in an emergency situation.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:35 AM
  #208
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, Backlund has to go through waivers too.

Not sure why the NHL would care that the Flyers have goalies on their ledger that they don't deem "NHL ready". I mean, sure, maybe... but I think it would be perfectly justifiable for the league to tell them to recall the guy that doesn't need to go through waivers in an emergency situation.
Well if Backlund and Leighton have to go through waivers, and Riopel doesnt have an NHL contract, do we have to call up the ECHL guy Stewart or whatever his name was?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:40 AM
  #209
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, isn't Lisa Hilary like a hockey specific person... thought she came from one of the Canadian networks.
She came from Washington, I believe, which could explain her lack of hockey IQ. They didn't know the sport existed until 4 years ago.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:43 AM
  #210
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Well if Backlund and Leighton have to go through waivers, and Riopel doesnt have an NHL contract, do we have to call up the ECHL guy Stewart or whatever his name was?
Is Riopel on an AHL contract? Didn't know that... in that case, if you're under 50 you could buy the contract into a NHL contract (what SJ did with Boucher a couple years back).

It's just tough to argue that there is an "emergency" and Leighton is your only option.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:44 AM
  #211
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
She came from Washington, I believe, which could explain her lack of hockey IQ. They didn't know the sport existed until 4 years ago.
She may have been down with Comcast DC (they do a lot of inside hiring/moves), but she was with TSN previously.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:49 AM
  #212
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
She may have been down with Comcast DC (they do a lot of inside hiring/moves), but she was with TSN previously.
Oh, Idk about her long term career, but I remember the Orange Line making a big deal about her coming and how she cried when she left Washington because she had called it home for so long.

I have a really good long term memory.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:50 AM
  #213
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Is Riopel on an AHL contract? Didn't know that... in that case, if you're under 50 you could buy the contract into a NHL contract (what SJ did with Boucher a couple years back).

It's just tough to argue that there is an "emergency" and Leighton is your only option.
Yea.

The only "emergency" I could see, and I don't even know if this would be possible, is if somehow, on a road trip a goalie gets hurt, and last minute we need someone and Leighton happens to be in the area for something, and he's the only goalie in the organization that can make it in time. I can't see that happening though. Because Leighton would only be somewhere because of the Phantoms which means Riopel is there too, so the argument still stands.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:12 AM
  #214
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,812
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
She came from Washington, I believe, which could explain her lack of hockey IQ. They didn't know the sport existed until 4 years ago.
She came from Washington, but she grew up in Ottawa.


Regardless, yesterday she confirmed that she really is as stupid as she looks. She said Holmgren wouldn't trade him because he didn't want Leighton, which must be why he's exposed on waivers. Also said Yzerman should want Leighton over Roloson...um, remember what happened in 2006? Roloson had a good playoff with the Wild in 2003 also.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
  #215
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
BTW... anyone else watch CSN and hear Lisa Hilary screw up the difference between waivers and re-entry waivers? She claimed that if he's claimed the team will be on the hook for half his salary...

It would be pretty awesome if people getting paid to cover the sport knew the rules of the sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
CSN could be interchanged with the word Holmgren in that sentence
Which is proof that some of the more knowledgeable fans on here do actually know more then the people actually involved in the sport.

However, it is absolutely terrible that someone literally being paid to cover hockey, doesn't even know how waivers work. I can understand not knowing the details of the whole CBA considering how large and complicated the CBA is, but waivers are a really common, important, and easy thing to know. So to be paid to cover hockey and not know how they work is kind of shameful. If it were any normal job you would get hell for being around so long and not knowing how something so common and important works.

Also, she worked for the Caps before us IIRC. Have no clue why she came here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
She came from Washington, but she grew up in Ottawa.


Regardless, yesterday she confirmed that she really is as stupid as she looks. She said Holmgren wouldn't trade him because he didn't want Leighton, which must be why he's exposed on waivers. Also said Yzerman should want Leighton over Roloson...um, remember what happened in 2006? Roloson had a good playoff with the Wild in 2003 also.
I can't stand Lisa Hillary. She doesn't seem to know the sport all that well, she's not all that attractive, and she usually doesn't ever have anything of good substance to add to conversations.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
  #216
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I can't stand Lisa Hillary. She doesn't seem to know the sport all that well, she's not all that attractive, and she usually doesn't ever have anything of good substance to add to conversations.
You forgot that her voice is raspy and grates on your nerves.

You really hit the nail on the head, though, at least the other blond is something to look at.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:13 PM
  #217
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Leighton apparently cleared.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:16 PM
  #218
Murphy7
Drop the puck
 
Murphy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country:
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Leighton apparently cleared.
Was that on NHL Live? Still looking for a definitive answer, often comes out well after noon.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:18 PM
  #219
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Was that on NHL Live? Still looking for a definitive answer, often comes out well after noon.
Per DNFlyers.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:18 PM
  #220
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,656
vCash: 500
Damn you, NYI. I guess they're waiting for Homer to inexplicably call up Leighton when Shelley gets suspended again.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:29 PM
  #221
Murphy7
Drop the puck
 
Murphy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country:
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Per DNFlyers.
Thanks. Obviously they're sitting by the phone across the desk at Homer's fingertips.
Oh, well. Thanks Islanders, Oilers, Sabres, Habs and whoever else maybe could have used him.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:31 PM
  #222
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,237
vCash: 500
imagine that. Did anyone honestly expect him to be claimed? I still dont think Holmgren sends him to the AHL.

no one is going to take 1.5 million this year and next for a back up goalie. If some team thought it was a good deal he would of been claimed. see the Isles who just lost Dippy. again.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:31 PM
  #223
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
Snow didn't claim him?! Noooooooooooooo! That means homer will recall him for no reason and some team will pick him up just to screw us. Which means MFL and shelley will be eating almost 2 mil in cap space. Where's joe banner when you need him.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
  #224
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
imagine that. Did anyone honestly expect him to be claimed? I still dont think Holmgren sends him to the AHL.

no one is going to take 1.5 million this year and next for a back up goalie. If some team thought it was a good deal he would of been claimed. see the Isles who just lost Dippy. again.
Islanders would have made a certain amount of sense given the problems with Ricky D, and their never ending quest to reach the salary floor.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:37 PM
  #225
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,706
vCash: 500
Kinda feel bad for Stewart, gets AHL player of the week and now doesnt know if he even has a job.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.