HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gauthier at the Trade Deadline

Old
01-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Captain Saku

vCash: 500
I want Iginla but I'd settle for Langenbrunner.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:00 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Moving AK would be a lateral move, maybe we are lucky and it pans out, maybe not.
How is moving AK a lateral move? Who are you going to find to replace 20-24 goals for less than $4m?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:11 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
How is moving AK a lateral move? Who are you going to find to replace 20-24 goals for less than $4m?
Chicago - Brouwer(1.025mill)

Fairly cheap and probably could be had a for a 1st or send Pouliot and a pick maybe their way.

New Jersey - Langenbrunner(2.8mill)

The ideal offer that people tend to agree on, is a prospect + a pick.

Phoenix - Wolski(3.8mill)

In the dog house, they won't be low balled, but he could probably be had at this point.

Columbus - Umberger(3.75mill)

Don't know if he could be had but, he would be able to notch 20 for sure.

Toronto - Versteeg(3.833mill)

Wasn't suppose to be offered, but starting to get alot of attention from teams around the league, I don't know if a bidding war would begin, but he could be an option as well.

Those are 5 that come to mind to me. They have size, and they go to the net. There are a few out there, that I believe will be available at the deadline.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:17 AM
oberan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
No, it's call 15 years of mismanagement.
Gotta love these blanket statements...
Do you have any privileged information as to the inner workings of Canadiens' management? Do you know the variables at play that led to decisions that you are so conveniently labeling as "mismanagement"? And of course, do you have any expertise into the operations/management of an NHL franchise?

I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinion - we all are - but ignorance shouldn't give you carte blanche either. If you don't know/have any of the above information, statements like yours only serve to make you sound immature. Then again, maybe you are one of the many psudo-expert 15 year olds on these boards.

Jeez...

oberan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
What a sad, sad statement. "Whaaa, everybody hates the Habs except for us..."

Only HFboards members have hockey knowledge.
Everybody else is a hater.
Everybody else is a moron.

Have you looked at the forum you moderate lately?
1) Never said any of that, but awesome job putting words in my mouth
2) I'm not a mod

Never said everyone else is a hater just that around the city you get a lot of haters.

Never said everyone else is a moron just that the people who hate with no real reason to are. (People who just buy up everything they hear and read and can't form their own opinion base on facts and actually watching the game but rather what an RDS cast member has to say)

Never said only HF people are knowledgeable in fact the implication being made was that optimistic people are more likely to come to HF than pessimists because optimistic people enjoy watching their team and don't cry over every little detail like pessimists do. Thus it's common sense that a site based around love for a hockey team would have people who are optimistic about it. Most pessimists for one aren't going to waste their time talking on a forum about a team they think is going no where but for two are pessimists because they buy into most of the media crap. I'm not saying there aren't pessimists out there that have good reasons and good hockey knowledge to back it up, far from it. Just saying it isn't the case most times. In most cases it's little Johnny's friends told him the habs suck so they do.

If you want to put words in my mouth and interpret what I said differently go for it, but like I said the real sheep aren't the people who have faith in their team, those are the real fans. The real sheep are those that buy into everything they're told which for the most part around this city isn't much of anything good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberan1 View Post
Do you have any privileged information as to the inner workings of Canadiens' management? Do you know the variables at play that led to decisions that you are so conveniently labeling as "mismanagement"? And of course, do you have any expertise into the operations/management of an NHL franchise?

I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinion - we all are - but ignorance shouldn't give you carte blanche either. If you don't know/have any of the above information, statements like yours only serve to make you sound immature. Then again, maybe you are one of the many psudo-expert 15 year olds on these boards.

Jeez...
Because for the most part most haters around here are just trolls coming here to hate. They make statements like that to get a rise out of people like me but offer nothing to the discussion and really have nothing positive to say ever. They don't want to get banned by saying things too petty but instead use the statements like the one you quoted in order to get the rise out of people they hope to gain but also not get in trouble. Classic case of trolls being trolls.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:28 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberan1 View Post

Jeez...
Ok, so in 15 years we had like what... one conference finals... it's the same team year in, year out... too good to rebuild via the draft, too bad to ever consider winning the Stanley Cup...

You want to talk about trades and mismanagement ? How about Patrick Roy, John Leclair, Mike Ribeiro, etc.

I mean what the hell is wrong with people on this board ? The idea that the habs are nowhere near what they used to be is a FACT. It shouldn't even be discussed, unless you want to re-write history...

You can be optomistic about the future, it's your right, but to challenge the idea that this team achieved more or less nothing in the last 15 years (except in the market departement, thanks to the dreaded Pierre Boivin) is pretty far fetch, to be polite.

Like everyone here, I wish that we would get that famous star player or the guy that would bring this team to the next level. I'll watch the trade deadline hoping that this year will be different than the others. But chances are pretty low that it will happen, it sucks, but this is reality.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I want Iginla but I'd settle for Langenbrunner.
That's like saying "I want the prom queen, but I settle for the retarded, paraplegic chick"

Langenbrunner should be had for a peanut. That's if you can get him early. If you wait till the deadline, could be a bidding war increasing this tool's value.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Jigger77

I wouldn't be shocked to see Kostitsyn moved. Pretty sure everyone involved is tired of trying to figure out the enigma.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Roulin

I think the priority should be a winger who can score against tough opposition at even strength. Dustin Penner would be perfect, but I'm sure there will be another good option available. A Penner-14-13 line would give us a fighting chance against anyone else's top line in the playoffs.

I don't see an open spot on D, unless someone gets hurt. We don't have a real #1 with Markov out, but it won't make sense for us to pursue a #1 at the trade deadline. We have plenty of depth. We have 6 defencemen capable of playing top 4 minutes, and another 2 that can contribute on the bottom pairing if needed.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
That's like saying "I want the prom queen, but I settle for the retarded, paraplegic chick"

Langenbrunner should be had for a peanut. That's if you can get him early. If you wait till the deadline, could be a bidding war increasing this tool's value.
Wow. Someone has absolutely no clue. Have you ever watched Langenbrunner play? Weird comment.

He is 35 though I'll give you that. He won't have the impact he would have had 5 years ago when he was one of the best playoff warriors in the NHL.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
Chicago - Brouwer(1.025mill)

Fairly cheap and probably could be had a for a 1st or send Pouliot and a pick maybe their way.

New Jersey - Langenbrunner(2.8mill)

The ideal offer that people tend to agree on, is a prospect + a pick.

In the dog house, they won't be low balled, but he could probably be had at this point.

Columbus - Umberger(3.75mill)

Don't know if he could be had but, he would be able to notch 20 for sure.

Toronto - Versteeg(3.833mill)

Wasn't suppose to be offered, but starting to get alot of attention from teams around the league, I don't know if a bidding war would begin, but he could be an option as well.

Those are 5 that come to mind to me. They have size, and they go to the net. There are a few out there, that I believe will be available at the deadline.
Wolski-Kostitsyn, they're both struggling to live up to the expectations, Wolski being moved already once, i am not sure of the interest to pull the trigger on this one.

Umberger wont be moved.

Versteeg had his numbers on a well-oiled machine, we have to consider that. If Toronto want to move him, there is something wrong given their needs.
And if we compare him to Kostitsyn, again, its not a upgrade, especially about their gamestyle, because Versteeg is only 5'10.
For Brouwer, same thing, he is sure playing well in Chicago, but having him playing at this level outside of the team, thats not that sure.
He may be cheap, but he is not the safest bet for goalscoring issues.

I dont know what would be their cost, but guys like Miettinen or Booth could be interesting.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Wow. Someone has absolutely no clue. Have you ever watched Langenbrunner play? Weird comment.

He is 35 though I'll give you that. He won't have the impact he would have had 5 years ago when he was one of the best playoff warriors in the NHL.
True, but he said he wants Iginla, but he'll settle for Langs. I'd take Langs if it didn't cost too much, but I find it's odd to settle for him after wanting Iggy.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
True, but he said he wants Iginla, but he'll settle for Langs. I'd take Langs if it didn't cost too much, but I find it's odd to settle for him after wanting Iggy.
Gotchya. He's no Iginla that's for sure.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:57 AM
TankEller*

1. Trade Markov's rights for as much as you can get.
2. Get a decent top-9 forwards with good offensive abilities (Langenbrunner?)
3. Wait till the end of the season with a lineup like this:

Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Desharnais - Langenbrunner
Moen - Halpern - White

Hamrlik - Wisniewski
Spacek - Subban
Gill - Gorges

Price
Auld

4. Wait till the offseason
5. Sign:
Gorges: 2 years, 2,25M/year
Wisniewski: 4 years, 3,75M/year
Ehrhoff: 5 years, 5M/year
Weber: 1 year, 0,9M/year

Pouliot: 1 year, 1,5M/year
Justin Williams: 3 years, 4M/year
Upshall: 2 years, 1,5M/year
Pacioretty: 1 year, 1,1M/year

Lineup:
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Williams
Pouliot - Eller - Upshall
Moen - Pyatt - White

Ehrhoff - Wizniewski
Spacek - Subban
Gorges - Weber

Price
Ramo

salary cap: roughly 55M, + assets we got for Markov, likely quality draft picks. North American team with only 6 European players, players willing to sacrifice for their team, versatile d-core, and a very functionnal bottom-6 with players like White, Upshall and Moen. Guys capable of fighting (Wiz, Moen, White, Upshall from time to time, Subban from time to time). Support to the top-6 on forward if we lack of production.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post

Wolski is intriguing. A move to a much weaker division and conference could be good for him.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
If you want to put words in my mouth and interpret what I said differently go for it, but like I said the real sheep aren't the people who have faith in their team, those are the real fans. The real sheep are those that buy into everything they're told which for the most part around this city isn't much of anything good.
Sorry about the mod thing, I misread the colors. My bad.

But if you don't mean it, then don't write it:

Quote:
HF may be a habs cheerleading board but only for the fact that the rest of Montreal outside of the interwebs are such blatant haters who have no hockey knowledge and just regurgitate whatever they see or hear on TV/Radio
I'm more than a little tired of that kind of snobbish attitude around here. This fanbase is one of the most devoted and passionate in sports, and we pride ourselves in our glorious history. Refusing to accept mediocrity is not hate, it is LOVE. It is telling the people in charge that this team should never devolve and become solely a cash cow for billionaire owners like the Maple Leafs.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:43 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I agree that a little patience is required and Gauthier has made some nice moves to improve the team but we need one more year to really solidify the roster. If he can do that through free agent signings, prospects moving up, off season trades and addition by subtraction (Hal Gill) THEN he can look at picking up that last missing piece at NEXT YEAR's deadline (and maybe overpaying for it).

Overpaying this year would be a huge mistake. I think we have just a few too many holes to fill, and in trying to go for it all, we would fall short AND further jeopardize our chances next year.

I am long term optimistic and short term realistic if Gauthier pursues this route.
very solid post, probably the best in this thread. Props.

post more often.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
LastRide

I am hoping PG can move Spacek at the deadline. This guy brings nothing but agony to the team. Picard is better than this guy. Hamrlik comes off the books at the end of the year too. Both these chumps need to move on. Landing a solid forward and/or D-Man at the deadline would cool if possible. Otherwise things need to be addressed at the end of the season.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
piss off to people who want this to be HockeyCheerleadingboard.com and who want censorship of other fans who demand excellence and demand being part of something other than a herd of sheep.
I'm sorry but who are you to demand things ?

I love people who think they are so important that the Habs owe them something

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:48 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Gauthier on Dealing now rather than at trade deadline
Quote:
TheFourthPeriod.com
Earlier this week, the Montreal Canadiens acquired defenseman James Wisniewski from the New York Islanders, filling one of three voids in the roster.

Habs GM Pierre Gauthier told the Montreal Gazette he was involved in several trade discussions with different teams prior to landing Wisniewski.

Gauthier has been looking for a top-four defenseman since losing Andrei Markov for the season, but he's also been on the lookout for a first line goal-scorer and a third-line depth forward.

"We feel that it's better to make a deal at this point rather than at the deadline," Gauthier told the Gazette.

The Canadiens have been linked to Minnesota Wild right wing Martin Havlat, who is under contract for four more seasons beyond this year. He does not have a no-trade clause, however it's unclear, at this stage, if the Wild has any interest in moving him.

The addition of Wisniewski may also make a defenseman expendable.

Gauthier has approximately $2.2 million in available cap space to play with and could part with a roster player to get a deal done.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

he's right. no way you get wiz for a 2nd and conditional 5th at the deadline. too many teams willing to overpay for that 'last piece' at that point.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:57 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Gauthier on Dealing now rather than at trade deadline
good find yarf. Seems like something he may have inherited from gainey's thought process. I remember gainey one year saying how the team had it's trade deadline early on purpose.

Also seems that if he is targeting havlat, that gauthier truly is looking to deal for future and not only the present, which i love.

good stuff, although not sure how i feel about havlat.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
good find yarf. Seems like something he may have inherited from gainey's thought process. I remember gainey one year saying how the team had it's trade deadline early on purpose.

Also seems that if he is targeting havlat, that gauthier truly is looking to deal for future and not only the present, which i love.

good stuff, although not sure how i feel about havlat.
Me either. But he's better than Pouliot or Kostitsyn that's for sure.

Old
01-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Habruti!

No offence but PG is done with his trade dead line shoping. He just pulled Wiz and traded Lapierre. I would be surprised to see more. Forget about a tough winger this is not our style plus we just got a physical winger with Patch was brougth in.

So far we have added Wiz, Desharnais, Pacioretty this is enough for PG in one season. Next step I believe is that they will try Eller on the wing again ... perahps Desharnais, Pouliot, Eller could be an interesting line.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Miller Time

depends on how PG evaluates the depth of young talent in the organization imo.

if he thinks guys like Eller/MaxPac/Subban can & will be solid contributors (especially offensively) within the next 2 seasons, then staying the course makes sense.
Tweak here or there as needed, though it would be smarter to move guys that are not part of the longer term plan (pouliot? akost?) then picks or prospects, as i'd rather see the team continue to assemble quality organizational depth which can be used when the time is right to make a big splash.

Personally, I still think he needs to be working the phones to unload Gomez/Spacek. Although Gomez has been contributing well of late, he still is a contract albatross. that the team was winning more with him on pace for 25pts then it is now that he's popping in a ppg, tells me that moving him is fine even if we don't have an immediate upgrade at the 2nd line centre spot.
with him playing better of late, and the deadline approaching, we might just be able to find another sucker willing to give up quality assets in return.

Now is not the time to "buy", or at least not if one of Subban/Eller/MaxPac is going the other way WITHOUT Gomez.

we shouldn't be adding any salary up front as long as we already have 23M$ locked up in 4 players.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote