HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers waive Michael Leighton; cleared waivers, sent to Phantoms (AHL)

Old
01-04-2011, 11:41 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Islanders would have made a certain amount of sense given the problems with Ricky D, and their never ending quest to reach the salary floor.
I think the Isles take a shot at him if this was a 1 year deal for Leighton. They probably dont want to commit to any salary beyond this season.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:53 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

vCash: 500
This is what happens when you overpay for a career backup goalie with back and foot issues...not to mention just lack of technical goaltending skills.... oh and a lack of honesty/integrity! I mean c'mon the guy had to be REMINDED between periods by Reese during the LA game to actually seek out the puck through traffic...LOL! This guy is supposed to be a professional adult and he has to be reminded of basic fundamentals. You can be rusty physically but obviously the dude is brain dead mentally as the last goal of the finals proved. Then he goes on record after the LA game saying the team saved his lousy/sad @ss....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:59 AM
jb**

what is th eove runder before someone get shurt and he is recalled? they best hope his back gives out before an injury to the rushkie or boucher.

this is all part of the shooter master plan. he goes to the ahl to get back into the flow of things, then boom playoff time he is the starter. relax people.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:03 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Kinda feel bad for Stewart, gets AHL player of the week and now doesnt know if he even has a job.
Leighton hasn't been assigned yet though, Holmgren might still keep 3 goalies

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:06 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Leighton hasn't been assigned yet though, Holmgren might still keep 3 goalies
From what Sam Car wrote, I understood that he was assigned...

Quote:
Leighton: "It's going to be good for me to go down and get some games
Quote:
Leighton, appearing upset, is literally packing his bags in locker room to go to Phantoms.
Quote:
Leighton will be sent to #Phantoms. His #Flyers career is likely over becz it's doubtful he'd clear re-entry waivers.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Jester

I'm sure the 3M will comfort him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:09 PM
jb**

how much cap space does shooter have now? you know he wants to spend it asap.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:16 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

so if this the end for Leighton here, is this a admittance of guilt by Holmgren for the bad deal he gave Leighton?

Old
01-04-2011, 12:29 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Is Riopel on an AHL contract? Didn't know that... in that case, if you're under 50 you could buy the contract into a NHL contract (what SJ did with Boucher a couple years back).

It's just tough to argue that there is an "emergency" and Leighton is your only option.
This whole situation is pretty iffy in my mind. I can see your and DU's point about the NHL front office questioning calling up Leighton in the case of an emergency, but should it be their call to force player movement? Leighton is obviously the next G in the depth chart; that cannot be contested. The stopgap for circumventing salary against the cap is that he has to pass through waivers on the way down. What rule / spirit of the CBA would be violated if Leighton was recalled after, for example, Boucher broke his leg?

As well, what would Fehr and the PA say if Bettman required that an established NHL player stop snickering at this definition of Leighton! be passed over for a player with zero NHL pedigree? Were I Fehr, I'd see this as a dangerous precedent. If he's doing his job, he should be pushing for the bigger-contract NHLers to be on NHL rosters as much as possible.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:33 PM
FlyerEra2010

Okay, stupid ****ing question time. That last twitter quote that sa cyred posted has me confused. If Leighton stays with the Phantoms for the rest of the season, he wouldn't have to clear any waivers to rejoin the team for next year, right? Or would he?

Anyway, paycheck aside, I do feel kinda bad for Leighton, but it's pretty clear he's just not a legit NHL goalie.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:37 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
Okay, stupid ****ing question time. That last twitter quote that sa cyred posted has me confused. If Leighton stays with the Phantoms for the rest of the season, he wouldn't have to clear any waivers to rejoin the team for next year, right? Or would he?

Anyway, paycheck aside, I do feel kinda bad for Leighton, but it's pretty clear he's just not a legit NHL goalie.
he can be recalled in the offseason without having to clear waivers.

Old
01-04-2011, 12:38 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:

No, what Sam Carchidi is saying that Leighton would probably be claimed off re-entry waivers if he's recalled. So either he's going to finish out in the AHL, or some other team in the NHL. Thus his career with the Flyers is over.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:38 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:

No he wouldn't need to clear next year to play with us. He would have to clear regular waivers again to play in the AHL though.

Old
01-04-2011, 12:41 PM
FlyerEra2010

K, thanks, fellas.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

One thing I believe we must keep in mind is that Leighton still has a fairly hefty Cap... If the LTI is at least partially cleared up -- Walker? -- and some other Cap space is used up... such as Trade Deadline or other acquisition... limited Cap space may not allow Leights to be recalled even in an emergency basis as I see it.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:53 PM
MrHockey1982

You all know already but here's a link confirming he cleared waivers:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...s_waivers.html

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

LOL....shows what they think of Leighton

Quote:
The Islanders, despite the fact that Rick DiPietro went down on Monday night in Calgary, refused to take a stab at claiming Leighton on waivers.

Instead, the Islanders re-called 20-year-old Kevin Poulin as an emergency backup for Thursday night’s game in Edmonton in DiPietro isn’t healthy enough to dress.

Old
01-04-2011, 01:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
LOL....shows what they think of Leighton
they arent making the playoffs so I am not suprised. if the roles were reversed I would want to do the same thing and would rather see what we had in the minors before picking up a backup goalie on the hook for 1.5 this year and next.

Old
01-04-2011, 01:05 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
they arent making the playoffs so I am not suprised. if the roles were reversed I would want to do the same thing and would rather see what we had in the minors before picking up a backup goalie on the hook for 1.5 this year and next.
C'mon man I'm trying to have fun with this travesty named Leighton and you go interject sound reasoning ...

Old
01-04-2011, 01:23 PM
BringBackStevens

If holmgren pissed away capspace recalling him I am going to be an official homer hater.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:36 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
We picked up Leighton in 06-07 when we sucked, but his cap hit was much lower

Old
01-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
so if this the end for Leighton here, is this a admittance of guilt by Holmgren for the bad deal he gave Leighton?
Probably not entirely. If Bobrovsky still hadn't emerged as he has, Leighton's got a job. This is one of the easiest moves Holmgren's ever had to make....except this time, he's actually making it.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

I don't see Leighton back during the regular season, even as an emergency goalie. There's no way Homer doesn't use his cap space for some other move ... it is what it is.

But ... I wouldn't say his Flyers career is over just yet. He could be Bobs' backup next season, as he is already under contract. And he could even be in the mix as a call up if a goalie is hurt in the playoffs.
I doubt he's back in Philly, but he's a long way from gone for good.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:57 PM
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
how much cap space does shooter have now? you know he wants to spend it asap.
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...nd-depth-chart

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
This whole situation is pretty iffy in my mind. I can see your and DU's point about the NHL front office questioning calling up Leighton in the case of an emergency, but should it be their call to force player movement? Leighton is obviously the next G in the depth chart; that cannot be contested. The stopgap for circumventing salary against the cap is that he has to pass through waivers on the way down. What rule / spirit of the CBA would be violated if Leighton was recalled after, for example, Boucher broke his leg?

As well, what would Fehr and the PA say if Bettman required that an established NHL player stop snickering at this definition of Leighton! be passed over for a player with zero NHL pedigree? Were I Fehr, I'd see this as a dangerous precedent. If he's doing his job, he should be pushing for the bigger-contract NHLers to be on NHL rosters as much as possible.
Fehr and the NHLPA don't really care, as Leighton is signed and getting paid.

I don't see why the NHL should allow the Flyers to circumvent the rules in order to get an advantage (you want Leighton over options D, E, and F) just because that's what they want to do.

Leighton is subject to re-entry waivers -- specifically so teams do not circumvent the cap by hiding players in the AHL only to use them later -- which is essentially what allowing him to be the emergency call up would allow the Flyers to do.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote