HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFC vs Dream (Pride)

Old
01-02-2011, 12:54 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

vCash: 500
That was a GREAT event again tonight. I wasn't really excited about the main event, but that was a hell of a fight! I can't complain about the draw because I think it's pretty accurate.

Stann will be a fighter to watch in the future. Very few fighters have been able to knock out Leben! And Thiago Silva showed again tonight why I said earlier in this thread that he's in the top 5 in light heavyweight in the world.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Doc McKenna

Pride and its not even close. For one the fighters didn't trash talk. It was a lot more about trying to defeat your opponent in a martial skill than the WWE style dana white has in UFC.

I don't even watch UFC events half the time because its not worth it. Pride was great, we would all get together do up some food. Bigger parties than superbowl. Even UFC fighters tend to be more respectful than most of the jackhole fans in nevada.

Pride was a lot classier and no damn cage to lean on. The whole thing was very different.

My favourite card was watching both hammerhouse guys get their ***** handed to them. Shogun rolled out the knee on Randleman and Fedor just wrecking Coleman who was too dumb to leave his kids at home.
Also liked Josh Barnett. After he got his face mangled he made the comment "I am not an animal" a ref to the elephant man who he had a resemblance to after the fight.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
That was a GREAT event again tonight. I wasn't really excited about the main event, but that was a hell of a fight! I can't complain about the draw because I think it's pretty accurate.

Stann will be a fighter to watch in the future. Very few fighters have been able to knock out Leben! And Thiago Silva showed again tonight why I said earlier in this thread that he's in the top 5 in light heavyweight in the world.

Agreed. Gomi vs Guida was a bit of a letdown... I didn't really enjoy Guida's jumping around but he finished well.

All 3 prelims at 9 were great. It was nice to see Brad Tavares get a KO; I liked the kid on TUF last year.

Dustin Poirier vs Josh Grispi was an eyeopener too. Poirier was a lot of fun to watch and he absolutely dominated Grispy... which makes you wonder what Jose Aldo would've done to him had that co-main event went on as planned.

Jeremy Stephens was losing to Marcus Davies before that ridiculous haymaker in the 3rd. Awesome KO.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Moklok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I can't complain about the draw because I think it's pretty accurate.
A 47-47 tie is fine by me, what bothered me is one judge had it 48-46 Edgar. That is just ridiculous. That means he has Edgar winning round 3. That guy needs new glasses.

Moklok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:47 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue_meanie View Post
Did Dana White **** your mom or something?

You're a sherdog style Pride nuthugger 5 years after it means something.

Your opinions on this topic are asinine. You are clearly saying anything to get a reaction and appear learned on the topic. You aren't. Ignorance is bliss and I guess that's why you're so happy to talk about something you clearly know very little about.

Pride is the home of the freakshow. You mention Chuck Liddell losing to Rampage as PROOF that it was somehow better. How about the fight against Allistair Overeeem that he won in Pride. Oh right, that doesn't fit into your narrative. And your issue with names on a card. Excuse me. Todd Duffee was in the main event for DREAM. TODD FREAKING DUFFEE. Spare me the nonsense about stars. Or your competeive matches bull. 18 seconds he lasted. Josh Koscheck may not have had a chance to beat GSP (beat that horse some more) but he lasted a hell of a lot longer then 18 seconds.

You clearly thinks it's cool to hate on UFC and I'm sure when you spit this crap out to people who don't know what you're talking about they are impressed. But you're just the loud mouth guy that repeats things he's heard other places without actually giving it some critical thinking.
Easy now, although I mostly agree.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Did Dana White **** your mom or something?

You're a sherdog style Pride nuthugger 5 years after it means something.

Your opinions on this topic are asinine. You are clearly saying anything to get a reaction and appear learned on the topic. You aren't. Ignorance is bliss and I guess that's why you're so happy to talk about something you clearly know very little about.

Pride is the home of the freakshow. You mention Chuck Liddell losing to Rampage as PROOF that it was somehow better. How about the fight against Allistair Overeeem that he won in Pride. Oh right, that doesn't fit into your narrative. And your issue with names on a card. Excuse me. Todd Duffee was in the main event for DREAM. TODD FREAKING DUFFEE. Spare me the nonsense about stars. Or your competeive matches bull. 18 seconds he lasted. Josh Koscheck may not have had a chance to beat GSP (beat that horse some more) but he lasted a hell of a lot longer then 18 seconds.

You clearly thinks it's cool to hate on UFC and I'm sure when you spit this crap out to people who don't know what you're talking about they are impressed. But you're just the loud mouth guy that repeats things he's heard other places without actually giving it some critical thinking.
Yes..Dana White ****** my mom...and then my granman in her grave..my sisters as well and down the line he'll do my eventual daughters...
How old are you??

I never joined sherdog because I felt it was a bunch of classless morons that try to insult each other when they have different opinions. Dana White did what to my mom again??..

Who has more talent, Dream or UFC??..Does it even come close??..Yes, there is mismatches in both organization, there are mismatches in every fighting organization.
STILL, Pride (and dream) put their big names in to make their events, grander.
They had events like in 06 with such fights as:
Aoki vs Hansen
Rua vs Nakamura
Kawajiri vs Melendez
Gomi vs Ishida
Nog vs Barnett
Fedor vs Hunt

When did you ever see a UFC event that can compare to this?..Those are all big fights and none of them were mismatches at the time. The only one you can possibly argue is the Rua vs Nakamura fight.

I don't HATE on the Ufc and never said Dream has more competitive or even matches. I said I'm disappointed by some of their lackluster PPVs. Maybe you get excited at the thought of seeing Silva vs Vera or even Edgar vs Maynard, but I don't. With all the talent there is, he could make the greatest PPVs in MMA, ever. And it being a Jan 1st card, I would have enjoyed a very deep card for a change. Say White would have made Silva fight Belfort on that card as well, then it starts getting interesting. But no, he can't do that, he needs to have his monthly UFCs and sometimes make two per month instead of making less but of better quality (UFC 127 has me salivating already!). That's just crazy talk from me...How dare I demand better quality of entertainment when the possibility is there!
His UFC 126 is already a little more interesting, although I need someone to explain why Yamamoto is fighting in the Prelim.

Pride was more entertaining to me, as I said, I feel they put on more interesting fights, had most of the top fighters at the time, preferred the ring as opposed to a cage, preferred the rules (penalties given for lack of action was an important one) and enjoyed the different concepts they presented.
Now, apparently that means I'm mad because White ****** my girlfriend..or her mom..or was it my mom??..It also mean I cannot be disappointed by the UFC's PPVs, that I don't know what I'm talking about, that Pride was a freakshow and that I'm a sherdog nuthugger (what does that even mean..??..seriously..) ...

Last edited by Kriss E: 01-03-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:00 PM
GlobalNews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yes..Dana White ****** my mom...and then my granman in her grave..my sisters as well and down the line he'll do my eventual daughters...
How old are you??

I never joined sherdog because I felt it was a bunch of classless morons that try to insult each other when they have different opinions. Dana White did what to my mom again??..

Who has more talent, Dream or UFC??..Does it even come close??..Yes, there is mismatches in both organization, there are mismatches in every fighting organization.
STILL, Pride (and dream) put their big names in to make their events, grander.
They had events like in 06 with such fights as:
Aoki vs Hansen
Rua vs Nakamura
Kawajiri vs Melendez
Gomi vs Ishida
Nog vs Barnett
Fedor vs Hunt

When did you ever see a UFC event that can compare to this?..Those are all big fights and none of them were mismatches at the time. The only one you can possibly argue is the Rua vs Nakamura fight.

I don't HATE on the Ufc and never said Dream has more competitive or even matches. I said I'm disappointed by some of their lackluster PPVs. Maybe you get excited at the thought of seeing Silva vs Vera or even Edgar vs Maynard, but I don't. With all the talent there is, he could make the greatest PPVs in MMA, ever. And it being a Jan 1st card, I would have enjoyed a very deep card for a change. Say White would have made Silva fight Belfort on that card as well, then it starts getting interesting. But no, he can't do that, he needs to have his monthly UFCs and sometimes make two per month instead of making less but of better quality (UFC 127 has me salivating already!). That's just crazy talk from me...How dare I demand better quality of entertainment when the possibility is there!
His UFC 126 is already a little more interesting, although I need someone to explain why Yamamoto is fighting in the Prelim.

Pride was more entertaining to me, as I said, I feel they put on more interesting fights, had most of the top fighters at the time, preferred the ring as opposed to a cage, preferred the rules (penalties given for lack of action was an important one) and enjoyed the different concepts they presented.
Now, apparently that means I'm mad because White ****** my girlfriend..or her mom..or was it my mom??..It also mean I cannot be disappointed by the UFC's PPVs, that I don't know what I'm talking about, that Pride was a freakshow and that I'm a sherdog nuthugger (what does that even mean..??..seriously..) ...
Ellipsis is three...dots...in...a...row.

GlobalNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Ellipsis is three...dots...in...a...row.
And it indicates a slight pause in speech, or some type of longing when used at the end of a sentence...

Old
01-04-2011, 10:17 AM
GlobalNews

Quote:
And it indicates a slight pause in speech, or some type of longing when used at the end of a sentence...
You're the student in the ESL classes. Not the teacher.

GlobalNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Habs

lol @ the Vera beatdown and the immediate rematch between Edgar and Maynard. UFC = WWE , these immediate rematches are pathetic.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Sizemore24*

Pride was so much better than UFC back in the days. Pride open-weight tourney or LHW tourney was awesome. Bushido was very good too. At the moment Dream is decent but nothing exceptionnal...The production is still very good but the fight are lackluster. I just love to see HW fight against each other and Pride provided that while UFC had no HW except Couture..

Sizemore24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
You're the student in the ESL classes. Not the teacher.
Okay, great.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:34 AM
icerocket

Sorry but the best fighters in the world are in the UFC. Sure there are exceptions like Fedor and Overeem but for the most part they are all in the UFC.

Now that the UFC has merged with the WEC it got that much better.

PRIDE was fun when it existed but DREAM is just a shell of its predecessor.

Time to move on.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Sorry but the best fighters in the world are in the UFC. Sure there are exceptions like Fedor and Overeem but for the most part they are all in the UFC.

Now that the UFC has merged with the WEC it got that much better.

PRIDE was fun when it existed but DREAM is just a shell of its predecessor.

Time to move on.
That is precisely why I am disappointed. UFC has pretty much all the talent in the world. They have the potential of making insanely deep PPVs, but they never do it.

Pride used to do it when they were on, Dream does it with the limited talent they have.

UFC keeps putting forth rather lacklucker PPVs considering their depth. I thought we'd start seeing some crazy PPVs after they acquired Pride and pretty much took most of their fighters, but no. What we do end up seeing more is Ultimate fighting shows and their fighters.

Old
01-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:
UFC keeps putting forth rather lacklucker PPVs considering their depth. I thought we'd start seeing some crazy PPVs after they acquired Pride and pretty much took most of their fighters, but no. What we do end up seeing more is Ultimate fighting shows and their fighters.
I think that injuries play a major factor in the way they book fights. Shogun didn't fight since May because of his knee injury so it kinda put the extremely deep LHW division in a standstill. Anderson Silva had to recover from a rib injury before his fight against Belfort. Count in the fact that the middleweight division isn't really deep and that GSP is practically invincible, it's hard to find decent matchups in those divisions.

The heavyweight division is in even more trouble with Velasquez, Carwin and Nelson injured, Brock Lesnar being MIA and JDS being inactive because he's waiting for his title shot. It doesn't leave much for the most marketable division in fighting.

I don't think it's the number of big names that factor in a good event, it's the matchups and the UFC does a great job in making even matches. Might not result in a lot of highlight reel knockouts like in the last Strikeforce event but I feel like it displays a lot more mixed martial arts. A lot of people counted UFC 125 out due to the lack of marketable names, and a lot of people believed that the main event would be boring, but I feel like it was Edgar and Maynard put on one hell of a fight and could already be a FOTY candidate.

If you look for a stacked event, UFC 126 looks pretty good with Silva vs Belfort, Griffin vs Franklin and Jon Jones vs Ryan Bader.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
I think that injuries play a major factor in the way they book fights. Shogun didn't fight since May because of his knee injury so it kinda put the extremely deep LHW division in a standstill. Anderson Silva had to recover from a rib injury before his fight against Belfort. Count in the fact that the middleweight division isn't really deep and that GSP is practically invincible, it's hard to find decent matchups in those divisions.

The heavyweight division is in even more trouble with Velasquez, Carwin and Nelson injured, Brock Lesnar being MIA and JDS being inactive because he's waiting for his title shot. It doesn't leave much for the most marketable division in fighting.

I don't think it's the number of big names that factor in a good event, it's the matchups and the UFC does a great job in making even matches. Might not result in a lot of highlight reel knockouts like in the last Strikeforce event but I feel like it displays a lot more mixed martial arts. A lot of people counted UFC 125 out due to the lack of marketable names, and a lot of people believed that the main event would be boring, but I feel like it was Edgar and Maynard put on one hell of a fight and could already be a FOTY candidate.

If you look for a stacked event, UFC 126 looks pretty good with Silva vs Belfort, Griffin vs Franklin and Jon Jones vs Ryan Bader.
I believe it is both. Not just matchups, or just names, but both.

I didn't have much of an interest on watching Leben fighting Stann even though everybody knew it was going to be a stand up fight resulting in a KO. But that's just me, others might be ecstatic over it.
I'm not talking about what makes the event good, I'm more talking about what makes it interesting (before it happens). Big names attract more attention, even if it is big mismatches like GSP vs Koscheck, people are still very interested by it.

I have mentioned UFC 126 as a better PPV, but then he follows it up with a super card for 127..He could have eliminated the 127 seeing as Penn vs Fitch is the only interesting fight of that night and added it to the 126 card or to a 128 card.

I don't need to see two UFC PPvs per month, or one PPV + Fight night, or one PPV + Fight night + Ultimate fighter shows.
Not blaming him for trying to make the most money, it's all good. I'd just rather there be less events with a higher quality, than a poorer quality with an abundance of them.
But that's just me. I have friends that get excited over fight nights as much as Habs fan do over a Toronto vs Habs game.