HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Sutter Steps Down!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2011, 03:32 AM
  #101
landfill
Registered User
 
landfill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 868
vCash: 500
Sutter seemed like one of the better GM's made the playoffs 5 of the 6 years he was gm, from an outsider it seemed like the first Olli Jokinen trade seemed like his demise.

landfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 07:28 PM
  #102
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,808
vCash: 500
Interesting tidbit from Elliotte Friedman's blog.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...-thoughts.html

Quote:
14. Okay, let's do some non-Winter Classic stuff: The aftermath in Calgary is really ugly. Sounds like Darryl Sutter wanted to fire brother Brent as head coach, but ownership decided to remove him instead. Scott Oake reported that, as of Saturday, Darryl had refused to talk to Brent or replacement Jay Feaster. Jarome Iginla did have a brief conversation with the former GM.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 07:58 PM
  #103
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Interesting tidbit from Elliotte Friedman's blog.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...-thoughts.html
This doesn't surprise me at all, there were lots of reports of tension between Darryl and Brent, saying that they had numerous disagreements regarding how the team should be coached or who should be scratched. This does not confirm any of that, however it does show more truth to that there may of been tension between them. I think any tension between them would of been a huge part of the negativity that surrounds this team. IMO, Darryl was a large part of this teams problems, I'm very interested to see how they respond with him no longer being in charge of the day to day operations.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:28 PM
  #104
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landfill View Post
Sutter seemed like one of the better GM's made the playoffs 5 of the 6 years he was gm, from an outsider it seemed like the first Olli Jokinen trade seemed like his demise.
True, and the re-signing of Olli was the nail in the coffin (along with the team losing of course)

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:38 PM
  #105
King In The North
Sean Bennett
 
King In The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,326
vCash: 500
Honestly though, the Jokinen re-signing makes sense. Calgary's top 2 would have been Stajan and Backlund, with Langkow out long term. Last offseason was not the greatest for centers. He rarely plays like a top 2 centerman but he does get overrated.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:38 PM
  #106
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0591 View Post
Honestly though, the Jokinen re-signing makes sense. Calgary's top 2 would have been Stajan and Backlund, with Langkow out long term. Last offseason was not the greatest for centers. He rarely plays like a top 2 centerman but he does get overrated.
it really does... if anyone looked into it they would hav enoticed that there was only 2 centermen able to play the top 6 on the free agent market... Jokinen and Lombardi... and since we lacked size down the middle it only made sense to go for Jokinen

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:13 AM
  #107
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,340
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
to get any job in the NHL you have to earn it... to assume he got a job because someone needed a buddy is nothing short of asinine
I know I got here late, but here's proof you are wrong.

and

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:56 AM
  #108
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I know I got here late, but here's proof you are wrong.

and
and how is that proof of anything?

Houle was a member of the Canadiens teams for 11 seasons then when he retired he started working as an exec for Molson... Molson then hired him as GM because of his ties to the team and his business abilities... he may have sucked but its not proof he was friends with anyone... he's was just as qualified as Nieuwendyk, Yzerman or Snow are for their current jobs

again Tremblay was a Hab for 12 years... perhaps friendship played a part but its not like Houle hadn't seen Tremblay with with various players before while teammates... but 12 years in the NHL isn't exactly nothing

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:28 AM
  #109
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,340
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
and how is that proof of anything?

Houle was a member of the Canadiens teams for 11 seasons then when he retired he started working as an exec for Molson... Molson then hired him as GM because of his ties to the team and his business abilities... he may have sucked but its not proof he was friends with anyone... he's was just as qualified as Nieuwendyk, Yzerman or Snow are for their current jobs

again Tremblay was a Hab for 12 years... perhaps friendship played a part but its not like Houle hadn't seen Tremblay with with various players before while teammates... but 12 years in the NHL isn't exactly nothing
Houle was selling beer when he worked for Molson's. He was very well liked by everyone because he was a nice man. Not qualified by any means to be a GM. Tremblay had never coached a day in his life.

Snow is another example. However at least he has Masterís Degree in Administration and Bachelorís Degree in Business Administration to give him some credibility. Although the Isles haven't done very well.


The other two guys you mentioned at least apprenticed for a while before taking over.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:35 PM
  #110
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Houle was selling beer when he worked for Molson's. He was very well liked by everyone because he was a nice man. Not qualified by any means to be a GM. Tremblay had never coached a day in his life.

Snow is another example. However at least he has Masterís Degree in Administration and Bachelorís Degree in Business Administration to give him some credibility. Although the Isles haven't done very well.


The other two guys you mentioned at least apprenticed for a while before taking over.
Houle was an executive for Molson, thats more than merely selling beer... they were unhappy with how the Habs were playing and thought with his ties to the team and his exec experience he would be good for the job... he never got it because 'he was a nice man'... and like I said you don't know the thought process of Houle's when hiring Tremblay so to say he only got the job because they were friends is unfair and is no more than an assumption

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:16 PM
  #111
Grannys
Registered User
 
Grannys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London, UK
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,037
vCash: 500
Crazy, I go on vacation (from everything including hockey) for 2.5 weeks and I get back and Sutter is gone. Nice little xmas gift... but this team is far from being in the clear. A few dark frankenstein re-building years ahead.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.