HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan more valuable than we thought?

Old
01-04-2011, 03:19 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Callahan more valuable than we thought?

There's no denying how valuable Callahan is to this team.

The way the last few games have gone it's becoming more apparent to me how much he means to this team and system - and it's not about the points really. It's about the work ethic he brings to the table every night, the style of game he plays and the roles he so aptly fills.

The Rangers have had trouble keeping possession for long stretches and Cally's tenacious forecheck and neutral zone play is contagious. Sometimes you don't realize just how valuable someone is to the team until they are out. That certainly wasn't the case when he went down, because we all knew there would be a huge hole left in this roster, but to credit him - it's almost more than I expected in respect to how this team has to get points. 3-2-2 since Dec 15th.

We have a very tough January ahead. Tomorrow will be three weeks since he's sustained the injury. It was a week ago when Gross said the swelling still hadn't subsided. So if it's 8 weeks we are looking at the second week in February. Yikes.

When he got hurt I wanted to stay positive and said a rested Cally for the stretch-run and playoffs is a huge bonus. But with Prospal having trouble and some other lingering injuries this team is going to have to really bear down.

Quote:
As for Ryan Callahan (broken left hand), he’s still not able to skate and Tortorella estimated he might still be three to four weeks away.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:21 PM
broadwayblue

No doubt he's a big loss for the team. But we need to get more from others, like Gabby, regardless of whether he's playing or not.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Regular Salad

vCash: 50
most of us knew as soon as he got hurt we were gunna lack a lot that he brought and miss the **** piss outta him. no excuse for the other players who don't step up and be bigger players for us.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:25 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
most of us knew as soon as he got hurt we were gunna lack a lot that he brought and miss the **** piss outta him. no excuse for the other players who don't step up and be bigger players for us.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
No doubt he's a big loss for the team. But we need to get more from others, like Gabby, regardless of whether he's playing or not.
Agree. I think i was a little guilty of minimizing how valuable Cally is to this team though, because we were rolling at the time and had overcome a lot of other injuries with Prospal on the brink of returning. I'm having trouble seeing Boyle continue his torrid goal pace, and while I'd love to say Gabby is the answer hes got to show it. Somethings definitely not right with him.

But like i said - its the attitude that the teams misses too...

Old
01-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i also think we overstated Drurys leadership/etc. the team didnt miss a beat without him, and hes made no difference whatsoever when he finally came back.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:34 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i also think we overstated Drurys leadership/etc. the team didnt miss a beat without him, and hes made no difference whatsoever when he finally came back.
I was just going to post the same thing, but i didnt want to go off-subject. Then again, this thread isnt just about Cally, its about finding solutions in a sense.

Drurys been extremely MEH at best. Nothing in the way of offense at all. Hes still doing the same things - giving up the puck at center ice. Not making hard passes. Not taking it to the net. No moves to speak of. Its like hes scared to get hit, he wont skate with the puck in open ice. He'll only do it if hes got daylight and an odd-man rush. Otherwise its the standard off-the-glass, chip-out, pass-off, dump-in, back-to-D, defer to someone else, scared, non-decisive play and its hurting the way this team wants to play imo.

Own blueline and back hes been fine as usual, hes fine with being the aggressor on the puck - its just the other way around hes having major problems with.

Old
01-04-2011, 03:36 PM
ogie

yes callahan is very valuable , we should trade him while his stock is high.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:43 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

hes my favorite ny ranger player

hes the most complete hockey player we have.

future team capt.

and hes from upstate ny

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Vitto79

Going to the game in Detroit first week of Feb. I really hope he is back by then

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I was just going to post the same thing, but i didnt want to go off-subject. Then again, this thread isnt just about Cally, its about finding solutions in a sense.

Drurys been extremely MEH at best. Nothing in the way of offense at all. Hes still doing the same things - giving up the puck at center ice. Not making hard passes. Not taking it to the net. No moves to speak of. Its like hes scared to get hit, he wont skate with the puck in open ice. He'll only do it if hes got daylight and an odd-man rush. Otherwise its the standard off-the-glass, chip-out, pass-off, dump-in, back-to-D, defer to someone else, scared, non-decisive play and its hurting the way this team wants to play imo.

Own blueline and back hes been fine as usual, hes fine with being the aggressor on the puck - its just the other way around hes having major problems with.
i love you and i love what you wrote here. keep spreading the word.

here are some talking points you can use:

- he plays all situations like its a penalty kill
- he has possession of the puck for maybe 10 seconds a game, which is good because....
- he gets flustered with the puck

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 04:58 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I agree. It has become very aparent how valuable Callahan is to this hockey club.

This has been the time for Gaborik to show up and carry the team like the 7+ million dollar player he's supposed to be...unfortunately he lacks the heart and soul needed to take himself and the team to the next level.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
hes my favorite ny ranger player

hes the most complete hockey player we have.

future team capt.

and hes from upstate ny
Does he live within 30 miles of you? If so shoe in HHOFer as well.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:37 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Kinda what I was thinking too. I really think they've moved past him and he's a total null factor to this team.

Besides that I was kinda miffed at MSG when they ran the tidbit on Gabby and how the club needed more from him yet since Drury has returned he's done really nothing but slide down the lineup to the 4th line and yet they say nothing and ask nothing of him. Gabby we know has been playing through a sore shoulder and groin this season. Who knows he may still have something nagging.

Dubinsky - AA - Cally Carried the Rangers for part of the season.
Dubinsky - AA- Drury was tried and didn't have nearly the same spunk. It didn't make anything happen at all.

Callahan's leadership and on ice presence is sorely missed. He has true intangibles that are hard to replace.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:44 PM
XLJ

Rangers have turned into Dubinsky, Callahan and Staal's team. Including Hank that is the real core of the team. You lose one of them of course its going to hurt.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The only thing I hope is that Callahan is very well rested when he comes back and leads us to domination.

Seriously though, of course losing Callahan is going to hurt. Him and Dubinsky lead this offense.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:49 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Agreed, I think most Rangers fans realized that Cally's injury was a huge blow to the team. But if Gaborik was producing like we know he is capable of, the loss of Cally wouldn't hurt as much. Gaborik should have dominated against a team like the Panthers.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:55 PM
TheRedressor

This thread is BS.

What the team wasn't gonna lose back to back with Ryan Callahan in the lineup?

Injuries are part of the game and you move on. Look at the St. Louis Blues, they aren't using their injuries as an excuse win or lose.

Let's not turn into the Islanders (Streit & Okposo) and pretend that this team lost because it's missing key guys.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:05 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

This team is having trouble scoring. It is not like the work ethic isnt there because Callahan is out of the lineup. This team has a lot of homegrown players who have the characteristic of hard working players. Callahan is definitely a big loss and its possible that with him in the lineup maybe there would be a little more energy but I dont think that much more that would make a difference in the outcome of games. The team needs to score to win. I think sather makes a move for a scorer before cally comes back in february (if that is the timetable for his return).

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

HBNYC you are spot on.

Hopefully the rest of team steps up enough to keep us from falling too far behind, and Cally returms in good health for a playoff push/run.

Drury cannot fill Cally's skates.

On another note: I would like to see the Rangers jettison the "Blocked shots as a strategy". Too injury prone as an idea. I've never liked it. It might win you a game, or prevent some goals from time to time, but as a strategy it sucks. Does nothing to increase puck possession, just creates extended rebounds and causes injuries. I don't recall the Detroit Red Wings blocking this many shots.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

Exactly. And this is why the best thing for the Rangers is the buy him out this offseason. To try to bear through another season with his 7 million dollar cap-hit and completely redundant and inconsistent at best contributions is only going to hold this team back from taking the necessary step forward. This is Cally / Dubi / Staal / Girardi / Lundqvist's team. Drury is not the captain. Cally and Dubi are. It's clear as day and has been for a while. I'd much rather have the 3.4 million dollar dead space next year and 1+ million dead space the following year to cut ties with the Drury era. Especially when we still have Redden's 6.5 on the summer hit for eternity. We need to have a fresh break from Drury's Rangers. We're a better team when he's not playing. We're a better team when he's not around the team. The players still respect him a ton, and that's part of the problem. He's not what this team's identity is growing into, and the longer he's around, the more indecisive and hesitant this team's growing identity will continue to be. Putting aside the fact that we pretty much need to trade Rozy for a draft pick at the draft and buy out Drury to be able to fit Richards and still re-sign all of our RFA's, this team is just headed in the right direction sooner with Drury far away from this team. He's a good guy I'm sure, and he wants to be a positive part of this team's winning identity. But he just isn't. He slows every line that he is put on down. He kills possession. He kills zone time. All he does, like HBNYC said is chip the puck out of the zone off the glass and play patty cake in the neutral zone passing it to the other team's D. It's time for this to stop. He's had more than enough chances. And anyone who makes the excuse that Tortorella hasn't used Drury the right way (putting him in front on the PP) or putting him with skilled players in a role to succeed, you just haven't been watching. And I'm certainly not only talking about this season either. Drury has had chance after chance since he got here to succeed. He was given every chance. He is not the hockey player a lot of us hoped he would be. Those Buffalo teams were overachievers and Drury was exhibit A, right in the middle of it, looking a hell of a lot better than he was, in a contract year. Go figure. But enough is enough.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:37 PM
msv957

Not sure if this was mentioned already or not but does anyone know what this team's record is after the Callahan injury?

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:41 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
HBNYC you are spot on.

Hopefully the rest of team steps up enough to keep us from falling too far behind, and Cally returms in good health for a playoff push/run.

Drury cannot fill Cally's skates.

On another note: I would like to see the Rangers jettison the "Blocked shots as a strategy". Too injury prone as an idea. I've never liked it. It might win you a game, or prevent some goals from time to time, but as a strategy it sucks. Does nothing to increase puck possession, just creates extended rebounds and causes injuries. I don't recall the Detroit Red Wings blocking this many shots.
This is a joke right? Please tell me you're not serious with this statement. The players should not block shots because they've been getting hurt? WTF? This might be one of the worst statements i've read in weeks. It is not a strategy it is simply they're nature to go down and block a shot to help win a game. How the hell could you ask your players to stop doing that and kick that habit?? Blocking a shot could be the difference between winning and losing a playoff game, killing a PP in a big game, etc. Injuries happen, they're part of the game. The last few seasons we haven't truly been bitten by the injury bug. Yeah we lost prospal last year for a stretch and gaborik for a little here and there but those arent big injuries. The devils losing Parise is a huge injury. This team should by no means "jettison" blocking shots from their game.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:22 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Exactly. And this is why the best thing for the Rangers is the buy him out this offseason. To try to bear through another season with his 7 million dollar cap-hit and completely redundant and inconsistent at best contributions is only going to hold this team back from taking the necessary step forward. This is Cally / Dubi / Staal / Girardi / Lundqvist's team. Drury is not the captain. Cally and Dubi are. It's clear as day and has been for a while. I'd much rather have the 3.4 million dollar dead space next year and 1+ million dead space the following year to cut ties with the Drury era. Especially when we still have Redden's 6.5 on the summer hit for eternity. We need to have a fresh break from Drury's Rangers. We're a better team when he's not playing. We're a better team when he's not around the team. The players still respect him a ton, and that's part of the problem. He's not what this team's identity is growing into, and the longer he's around, the more indecisive and hesitant this team's growing identity will continue to be. Putting aside the fact that we pretty much need to trade Rozy for a draft pick at the draft and buy out Drury to be able to fit Richards and still re-sign all of our RFA's, this team is just headed in the right direction sooner with Drury far away from this team. He's a good guy I'm sure, and he wants to be a positive part of this team's winning identity. But he just isn't. He slows every line that he is put on down. He kills possession. He kills zone time. All he does, like HBNYC said is chip the puck out of the zone off the glass and play patty cake in the neutral zone passing it to the other team's D. It's time for this to stop. He's had more than enough chances. And anyone who makes the excuse that Tortorella hasn't used Drury the right way (putting him in front on the PP) or putting him with skilled players in a role to succeed, you just haven't been watching. And I'm certainly not only talking about this season either. Drury has had chance after chance since he got here to succeed. He was given every chance. He is not the hockey player a lot of us hoped he would be. Those Buffalo teams were overachievers and Drury was exhibit A, right in the middle of it, looking a hell of a lot better than he was, in a contract year. Go figure. But enough is enough.
Get Em!

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

No, its just that people didnt realize what a piece of garbage and cancer that Drury is to this team.

Heartless POS wearing the C is rubbing off on the entire team.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote