HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryan McDonagh Up / Del Zotto Down

Old
01-04-2011, 06:26 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Bergeron's legacy will always be that he let Leetch do whatever he wanted.
Bergeron would scream at Leetch "We need you Brian" encouraging him to join the rush and carry the puck looking to create offense. Don't worry about playing defense. Just go.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:27 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
I believe Schoenfeld called him a smaller Marc Staal.
Gordie Clark called McDonagh a smaller Staal.

Old
01-04-2011, 06:30 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by goknights45 View Post
another case of an underager being rushed up too early. would've been much simpler to keep him back in london last year.
Really good point. Unless the young player is a Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos talent, it seems a teenager is going to struggle tremendously with some flashes of brilliance.

I have no idea how teams who are re-building just throw multiple teenagers to the wolves and expect them to succeed. Confidence seems to be a fine line in the NHL. MDZ had it last year and so far he does not have it this year.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Vitto79

I think a move for a lefty Dman is close. They obviously have issues with the 2nd pairing DZ who is down for now and Rozy.

I would be pretty good if they can somehow move Rozy in a deal for a equally good UFA dman

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I think a move for a lefty Dman is close. They obviously have issues with the 2nd pairing DZ who is down for now and Rozy.

I would be pretty good if they can somehow move Rozy in a deal for a equally good UFA dman
So we need a second-pairing dmen and you want to move Rozsival now that MDZ has been demoted? Dou you ever make sense when you post?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

1) You've thought move for a lefty d-man has been close since the end of training camp.

2) Why would any team trade for Rozsival and give back an equally good defenseman with an expiring contract?

01-04-2011, 10:51 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Really good point. Unless the young player is a Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos talent, it seems a teenager is going to struggle tremendously with some flashes of brilliance.

I have no idea how teams who are re-building just throw multiple teenagers to the wolves and expect them to succeed. Confidence seems to be a fine line in the NHL. MDZ had it last year and so far he does not have it this year.
So then how does keeping him in London last year, when you're telling me he had confidence at an NHL level, change anything?

MDZ will be fine, and if he isn't he didn't have the psyche to make it in the NHL.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Bringing MDZ to the NHL last season was the right move, he's NHL-quality right now, even at 20.

The problem was that the organization expected him to keep working on his game and fix the errors within it that were shown last year, and he didn't.

Hopefully the wakeup call demotion works.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:29 AM
howztheglass

I would rather see him play then just practice with the team.Even if Gilroy has played well in the last few games(except for O.T in T.B)why not see what McD brings to the table--it worked with Sauer.I say let me play in 5 games or so get his feet wet then bring MDZ back(if his game turns around)maybe McD stays or goes back to the Whale or maybe Sather see's what we got and looks to deal Gilroy or Rosi.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:32 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
torts says that Gilroy will get the start on Weds.

i may be in a minority on these boards, but i welcome this. Gilroy has looked more and more competent in the last few games. he may not be an offensive threat yet, but he is becoming reliable and safe in his own end. i think he deserves a stretch with the team now to see how much he has improved.
Gilroy looks like he's actually 6'2" out there this year, and not 5'10". He's playing a lot more sound game all around. If he didn't have the shot of a pee-wee hockey player I'd feel a lot better about him.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:43 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Gilroy looks like he's actually 6'2" out there this year, and not 5'10". He's playing a lot more sound game all around. If he didn't have the shot of a pee-wee hockey player I'd feel a lot better about him.
I will say he playing better but 6'2"---he doesn't hit and I agree has no shot--still looks like the 5'10" guy to me.

quick question would you rather have Gilroy or Vtank(he has a shot that Gilroy would be jealous of).

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:02 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
I will say he playing better but 6'2"---he doesn't hit and I agree has no shot--still looks like the 5'10" guy to me.

quick question would you rather have Gilroy or Vtank(he has a shot that Gilroy would be jealous of).
Right now, I'd still rather have Gilroy. Give Vtank a year in the A.

The difference to me is he looks like he's trying to engage opponents and isn't shying away from the rough spots on the ice. He's standing guys up more than he is collapsing around the blue line as well.

Old
01-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Bringing MDZ to the NHL last season was the right move, he's NHL-quality right now, even at 20.

The problem was that the organization expected him to keep working on his game and fix the errors within it that were shown last year, and he didn't.

Hopefully the wakeup call demotion works.
What exactly do you consider to be his "errors"?

Coming into the year all we heard from the coaching staff is how they want MDZ to be free to try to create offense, and not worry so much about the defensive side of the game...like they did with Leetch when he was younger. Now we are hearing that he needs to learn how to make the simple play and not worry too much about what's going on up ice.

In my opinion, the real problem is that he's no longer much of an offensive force. I think everyone, including the coaching staff, would be OK with his spotty defense if it was somewhat offset by creating offensive opportunities. It isn't and so he's going down to the minors to try to find it again.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:34 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
JimCerny Jim Cerny
Spoke for a while with Ryan McDonagh who could not praise Wade Redden more if he tried! Redden was his road roommate and defense partner

JimCerny Jim Cerny
McDonagh: "Redds has unbelievable attitude...he helped me a lot, on the ice & with the mental things...great leader & tremendous guy"

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:56 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
JimCerny Jim Cerny
Spoke for a while with Ryan McDonagh who could not praise Wade Redden more if he tried! Redden was his road roommate and defense partner

JimCerny Jim Cerny
McDonagh: "Redds has unbelievable attitude...he helped me a lot, on the ice & with the mental things...great leader & tremendous guy"
Never though Redden was a bad guy. His game was diminished.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:57 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Never though Redden was a bad guy. His game was diminished.
I agree fully. I was just putting that there so people realize he isn't a money-grubbing *****.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:46 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

I think its the best way for MDZ. I think he will gain more confidence there and find the way back to his game and get consitent. But i had prefered VTank instead of McD as a Callup. Im curious about wednesdays game and hope we grind out a w. Lets see what McD has to offer.

Btw nice quote of him about Redden...

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
MDZ will be back either when Rozi is traded or Eminger falters; btw he's beginning to play poorly. By year's end our six D will be:

Staal
Girardi
Sauer
MCD
MDZ
Gilroy/Kundratek

Three lefties and three righties; the way it should be.
I like the idea of giving the kids a shot. However, teams looking to push for the playoffs usually add vets rather than dropping them and I don't know if the Rangers want a bunch of kids on the blueline going into the POs, although I don't necessarily have a problem with it so long as they're pushing the vets out of the way.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:48 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I like the idea of giving the kids a shot. However, teams looking to push for the playoffs usually add vets rather than dropping them and I don't know if the Rangers want a bunch of kids on the blueline going into the POs, although I don't necessarily have a problem with it so long as they're pushing the vets out of the way.
Staal and Girardi would have to play 35+ minutes a night each in order for the team to have any chance of winning.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:19 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
I think its the best way for MDZ. I think he will gain more confidence there and find the way back to his game and get consitent. But i had prefered VTank instead of McD as a Callup. Im curious about wednesdays game and hope we grind out a w. Lets see what McD has to offer.

Btw nice quote of him about Redden...
He's not playing.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
brfeldman

Thought this was intresting

Torts on youthful squad: "I couldn't be happier with our youth...I'm not afraid to put them in...couldn't be more excited"-NYR Website

Just reassuring that the coach feels just as confident even though we have the injury bug at this time.

brfeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:52 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Delly speaks

Quote:
The biggest thing for me is to get some games under me, play some minutes and try to get my game back to where it used to be, the 6-foot-1, 195-pound Del Zotto said after a 90-minute practice and workout in preparation for his Whale debut Wednesday night in Worcester, Mass. I think confidence is the biggest thing. Things havent gone as smoothly or come as easily as they maybe came last year, especially offensively, so I just want to get my confidence back.

When Im playing with confidence, I know I belong. Its a lot easier said than done in most cases, but its a matter of making plays, simplifying my game and letting the game come to me. When that happens, the rest falls into place.
Quote:
Its amazing how it works when youre making a few of those simple, 10-15-foot passes rather than the home-run passes, Del Zotto said. It opens things up when youre not forcing it and not always looking for that. Youre not going to be able to make the perfect play or perfect pass every single shift. You have to take what the game presents and just move on from there.

So basically its just simplifying, and taking what the game offers. Last year it came pretty easy for me for whatever reason, but this year has been a bit tougher. Last year I just came in with a swagger and confidence that I belonged and just kind of ran with it. I didnt know what to expect. I was 19 years old, and you just come in so enthused with a smile on your face learning new things every day. Im still young and just trying to get better and better every day.
http://howlings.net/2011/01/04/from-...uce-berlet-37/

Old
01-04-2011, 04:33 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I like this move. MDZ has no confidence, while MacD deserves a shot. I thought MacD had a much better camp than Del Zotto anyway.

Still, MDZ is a cornerstone of this franchise. I can definitely see him being a 50-point a year guy for us.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 04:38 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
JimCerny Jim Cerny

JimCerny Jim Cerny

I wouldn't talk **** either if I had to live with the guy on the road. Hell, Redden probably buys him lots of stuff, too. I suck up to my rich friends too!

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 05:58 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Bergeron would scream at Leetch "We need you Brian" encouraging him to join the rush and carry the puck looking to create offense. Don't worry about playing defense. Just go.
I cringe at the fact that bringing Bergeron over probably cost us Roenick or Selanne or Brindamour, but I think he never got enough credit letting Granato and Leetch (and later Turcotte and Miller) be themselves for one season.

Even though they were 1st round casualties, the 1988-89 rangers were young and a lot of fun to watch

As for Del Zotto, I see a lot of the early 90s Scott Niedermayer in him. Nidermayer was a thoroughbred but he made a lot of mistakes. He finally opened peoples eyes with the goal in the 1995 Finals. But before that, his defensive shortcomings were overlooked because a) he played in a defensive system and b) had three of the best defensive defensemen of the era playing alongside him.

Poor Del Zotto. There is nobody there to mentor this kid. Must have been nice for Niedermayer to come up with a team with two hall of fame defensemen in the locker stalls next to his.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote