HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Will I Feel a Noticable Difference? [Skates]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2011, 01:31 PM
  #1
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Will I Feel a Noticable Difference? [Skates]

Hey I'm hoping some of you equipment experts could lend a hand: I've been using Easton Synergy 555's now for a couple seasons (about 200 bucks canadian at the time), and was wondering if I would feel a noticable difference in my skating if I upgraded? I have been talking to a few people at the rink and the general response seems to be that the most noticable thing with a price increase will be the fit of the boot. My Easton's aren't a terrible fit right now, but compared to my last skates (a couple sizes too big), anything feels good. I'm not sure if I should splurge and upgrade? Would I even notice a difference between my 200 dollar skates and say, a 350 or 400 dollar pair?

Thanks for the insight.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:50 PM
  #2
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup
 
ThorNton Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cali
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
Main difference in high dollar skates is the stiffness. If you only play once or twice a week then you dont really need to buy high dollar skates. I am not too familiar with easton skates but any Mid-level skate is fine. Biggest diffrence you can make is just practicing your skating skills rather than spending more money on skates you may not like due to the stiffness

ThorNton Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:21 PM
  #3
bokchoy
Registered User
 
bokchoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
Hey I'm hoping some of you equipment experts could lend a hand: I've been using Easton Synergy 555's now for a couple seasons (about 200 bucks canadian at the time), and was wondering if I would feel a noticable difference in my skating if I upgraded? I have been talking to a few people at the rink and the general response seems to be that the most noticable thing with a price increase will be the fit of the boot. My Easton's aren't a terrible fit right now, but compared to my last skates (a couple sizes too big), anything feels good. I'm not sure if I should splurge and upgrade? Would I even notice a difference between my 200 dollar skates and say, a 350 or 400 dollar pair?

Thanks for the insight.
I made a similar upgrade very recently. I went from Bauer One55 (MSRP $230) to Graf 705 (MSRP $500). The difference was I went from a skate that was the right size for my foot to a skate that was made for my foot. It fits way better and it's way more comfortable. I feel that I skate much better on my new skates.

And as firegarrett said, expensive skates are stiffer. When a skate is stiffer, less energy is being absorbed by the skate and more energy is transferred to the edges.

I think the jump from a $200 skate to a $400 skate is a pretty substantial upgrade. If you're willing to spend the money, you'll definitely get some bang for your buck.

bokchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:24 PM
  #4
Dump and Chase
Hand of God
 
Dump and Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
High dollar skates are not really much stiffer than cheaper skates. The difference is that they don't break down like cheaper skates. Or to put it simply they stay stiffer for longer.


Also good skates are considerably lighter than cheaper skates.



If you want to splurge then splurge. You will like the new skates better I'm sure but don't expect them to change your game.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:17 PM
  #5
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 683
vCash: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
High dollar skates are not really much stiffer than cheaper skates. The difference is that they don't break down like cheaper skates. Or to put it simply they stay stiffer for longer.


Also good skates are considerably lighter than cheaper skates.



If you want to splurge then splurge. You will like the new skates better I'm sure but don't expect them to change your game.
That all I would say!

All I would add is that spending big money on skates could be the last skates you ever buy if all you are playing is rec league.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:07 PM
  #6
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
High dollar skates are not really much stiffer than cheaper skates. The difference is that they don't break down like cheaper skates. Or to put it simply they stay stiffer for longer.


Also good skates are considerably lighter than cheaper skates.



If you want to splurge then splurge. You will like the new skates better I'm sure but don't expect them to change your game.
Well put. If you are sure they are right and your feet have stopped growing they may well be worth the money.

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:18 PM
  #7
canuck44
Registered User
 
canuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
High dollar skates are not really much stiffer than cheaper skates.
Really now?

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:24 PM
  #8
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 7,135
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
3 pieces of equipment I believe you should spend the extra money on are skates, sticks and helmet. I went from Mission Flyweights $150 to the Synergys $500 when they first were launched and it was a noticeable difference.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 06:36 AM
  #9
Dump and Chase
Hand of God
 
Dump and Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
Really now?
A google search for "hockey skate stiffness" provided the following #1 result.

Article on buying skates


In the section on stiffness the author writes that there are different levels of boot stiffness. But, if you actually read the section he discusses that the determining factors in choosing level of boot are the players weight, ability, and how much the skates will be used on a weekly basis.


The reason these 3 factors are important is because they will effect how quickly the skates breakdown. Not their initial stiffness.


"Buying skates that are not stiff enough will cause premature breakdown. The boots will actually flex in areas that they should not. In a matter of months or even weeks a boot can degrade to the point where the skater is getting little or no support. Explosive skating is all but impossible in a boot that has broken down."

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 06:40 AM
  #10
canuck44
Registered User
 
canuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
I didn't question the part of your post about how lower end skates generally won't last as long because of premature breakdown, but rather the part where you said high dollar skates aren't much stiffer. Have you not noticed how stiff the EQ50/SE16/TO skates (just naming the top Easton & Bauer skates) are? The boots are practically solid with almost no give.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 07:08 AM
  #11
vinogradov8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 79
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vinogradov8
I upgraded from X:20's to One75's and I feel a pretty noticeable difference in the comfort and the way it molded to my foot. But the biggest difference for me so far is waxed laces.... best investment in the world.

vinogradov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 07:49 AM
  #12
pnewsom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
I went from low-mid level Eastons to Bauer X60's. I love the X60's and would never go back. They offer far more protection, better comfort, and are just overall a very nice skate.

The biggest difference was that with my old skates I could feel the sole of the skate flex with every stride, but not with the X60's. There are other improvements advantages too, such as a tongue that is very thick and protective, and much better padding around the ankles, etc. Better skate for sure, but then you get what you pay for.

Quality only hurts once!

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 08:54 AM
  #13
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,249
vCash: 500
Yes I think there is a difference until about the $300 USD range, above which the lines get blurred. Big improvements are usually skate stiffness, a much stronger outsole, higher quality holders and steel, better liner, and lighter weight overall. Now if you will tell a difference, I don't know, it depends on whether your skates are a great fit and if they're broken down at all. Just remember don't throw away money unless the skates are a perfect fit for you!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:45 AM
  #14
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
I have to laugh at all the responses on here. I realize that everyone has an opinion and they all think their's is correct, but bottom line is no one knows the answer to whether or not new and more expensive skates will do anything for you. If you spend more money, make sure you get what you pay for, get them molded and sharpened and enjoy.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 05:10 PM
  #15
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
I have to laugh at all the responses on here. I realize that everyone has an opinion and they all think their's is correct, but bottom line is no one knows the answer to whether or not new and more expensive skates will do anything for you. If you spend more money, make sure you get what you pay for, get them molded and sharpened and enjoy.
well obviously no one knows exactly how the skates are going to feel on me. Perhaps I would have worded the question differently if I knew you were going to knitpick the language like that

... but I think everyone caught my drift. Thanks for all the responses.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 06:06 AM
  #16
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
well obviously no one knows exactly how the skates are going to feel on me. Perhaps I would have worded the question differently if I knew you were going to knitpick the language like that

... but I think everyone caught my drift. Thanks for all the responses.
Bottom line, no, a new and better skate won't make you a better skater. Better?

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:03 AM
  #17
pnewsom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
Whether a pair of skates is too expensive or not depends entirely on how much money you have, not how good you play. The difference of a couple hundred bucks is not that much these days.

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:11 AM
  #18
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,249
vCash: 500
A better fitting skate WILL make you a better skater. And if you're skating on old, broken down skates, a stiffer and lighter skate COULD make you a better skater. And if you accidentally find a skate with a profile or pitch that works better for you style, that COULD make you a better skater.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:13 AM
  #19
canuck44
Registered User
 
canuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
I just want to add that when I got into my new skates, I could instantly feel how much stiffer and lighter they were first time I hit the ice. And this probably is making next to no difference but I feel like my feet are moving a bit faster because of the weight loss. Now with that all said, did new skates (I went from old top of the line grafs to top of the line Bauer, so not really going from crappy to awesome, just newer) make me a better skater? Not necessarily. But did I notice a difference, definitely.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:04 PM
  #20
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Bottom line, no, a new and better skate won't make you a better skater. Better?
I'm not trying to make a world of difference in my skating ability. I'm already a good skater and I feel it is time to invest in some skates that will last. I hear from teammates that when they made the switch to 150-200 buck skates to 400+, they noted added performance benefits to coincide with a more exact fitting skate.


There is no glaring flaw in my skating that I'm trying to magically fix with an expensive pair of skates. So, everyone else: I'm going to go out today to try on some skates, any suggestions? I should just find a pair in the 400-500 price range (cdn) that fit like a glove, or are some substantially better than others at that price point? I'm hoping the guy at the LHS will be knowledgable.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
  #21
A2HockeyDad
Registered User
 
A2HockeyDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 26
vCash: 500
mbeam,

I am in the exact situtation as you are. Though it sounds as though you have a bit more experience/sound technique, I am looking to upgrade my boots as well.

My son has gotten more into hockey as he's growing up, and some of his teammates Dad's have gotten me into a adult beer league starting tomorrow. During some of the Father/Son and pick-up games I've attended, it's been mentioned that my current skates may not be fitting as well as they might (lots of ankle-bending room). Now I'm sure most of this is due to my limited time logged on-ice, but I can't help thinking that one of the skate models in the same price range you are mentioning, the Bauer X50 or CCM U+12 might be nice skates to upgrade to for many of the benefits they would offer (stiffness, light-weight, bakeability to get superior fit, etc.) over my few year old Reebok 5K pumps.

I'm sure they aren't essential, but I can't help thinking they certainly couldn't hurt as well as being excellent models to grow into as I begin to get even more serious in the sport.

Cheers,
Kev

A2HockeyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:29 PM
  #22
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2HockeyDad View Post
mbeam,

I am in the exact situtation as you are. Though it sounds as though you have a bit more experience/sound technique, I am looking to upgrade my boots as well.

My son has gotten more into hockey as he's growing up, and some of his teammates Dad's have gotten me into a adult beer league starting tomorrow. During some of the Father/Son and pick-up games I've attended, it's been mentioned that my current skates may not be fitting as well as they might (lots of ankle-bending room). Now I'm sure most of this is due to my limited time logged on-ice, but I can't help thinking that one of the skate models in the same price range you are mentioning, the Bauer X50 or CCM U+12 might be nice skates to upgrade to for many of the benefits they would offer (stiffness, light-weight, bakeability to get superior fit, etc.) over my few year old Reebok 5K pumps.

I'm sure they aren't essential, but I can't help thinking they certainly couldn't hurt as well as being excellent models to grow into as I begin to get even more serious in the sport.

Cheers,
Kev
If you plan to play for a long time then I guess an upgrade into something comfortable and durable is a good idea. The more and more I look into it it seems as if when you spend $200 you get a year or two (More depending how often you play, but I play 2-4 times a week) out of your boot but if you go for a higher model you may use them for life. I'm hoping this is true and my one off purchase will save me money in the long run. Good luck to you, I'll have to let you know how my new skates feel after a few sessions.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:14 AM
  #23
pnewsom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
It might have been two weeks ago, but Valequette Source For Sports was selling Bauer X60's for $500 a pair. Pretty good price for these skates. They had lots of them.

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 09:49 AM
  #24
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 24,377
vCash: 500
Went from CCM Externo E50s (approx 250 at the time, I think) and just got a used pair of Bauer One95s.

Now THAT's a stiff boot. But I'm in love. Fit better, love the stiffness and everything about my skating has improved as a result. They feel like shoes that are bullet proof.

If your a good skater, chances are you will get more out of a more expensive/stiffer skate and they will last longer. If your a rec player and want high end skates....check out the used market, I got my one95s for 225.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:24 PM
  #25
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Well the hockey shop had a relocation sale and I ended up picking up Easton E17s for 499. My last skates were lower end eastons and the fit is real good. Had my first skate with them this morning and man do my feet hurt, but I guess that was to be expected. I'll give them a week or so, maybe 3-4 ice times before I begin to judge though. I did like the stiffness although it seems like it may be tough to get used to after being in floppy things for so long, seems like I have to relearn where the skating equilibrium is!

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.