HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan more valuable than we thought?

Old
01-05-2011, 12:22 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
If anyone needs a fire lit under their ass its Gaborik. The guy has no excuse for disappearig for stretches. He's supposed to be our "best player" and he's certainly being paid like it.

Gaborik is an enigma. He picks and choses when he feels like skating. He floats most of the time.

When Tortorella calls him out, you'd like to see some kind of effort on the ice, some kind of response, but there's nothing.

Elite players, winners, show up and elevate their game when there are key injuries and when games are close, and every point is important.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I expect a lot more effort and urgency every shift from a guy labeled as "elite" and someone being paid to be our "best player". And more guts, too. The guy sits out of games if he feels anything. He's a hypochondriac. Either that, or he really is that frail.

Lundqvist
Staal
Dubinsky
Callahan
Girardi
Boyle
Stepan
Prust
Anisimov
Sauer

Are all playing better, more consistent. And have more dignity in their game, and play at 100% every shift. Can't say the same for Gaborik. His stats are fine, but watching him play, he simply isn't putting forth an honest effort. It looks like he dogs a handful of shifts at a time.

I hope Gaborik makes me eat crow, I really do, because we are stuck with this guy at over a 7 mil cap hit for the next 3 1/2 seasons. And I'm assuming a no-trade clause, too.

Its pathetic when PRUST is playing more consistent then your 7+ mil "best player".

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:54 AM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
If anyone needs a fire lit under their ass its Gaborik. The guy has no excuse for disappearig for stretches. He's supposed to be our "best player" and he's certainly being paid like it.

Gaborik is an enigma. He picks and choses when he feels like skating. He floats most of the time.

When Tortorella calls him out, you'd like to see some kind of effort on the ice, some kind of response, but there's nothing.

Elite players, winners, show up and elevate their game when there are key injuries and when games are close, and every point is important.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I expect a lot more effort and urgency every shift from a guy labeled as "elite" and someone being paid to be our "best player". And more guts, too. The guy sits out of games if he feels anything. He's a hypochondriac. Either that, or he really is that frail.

Lundqvist
Staal
Dubinsky
Callahan
Girardi
Boyle
Stepan
Prust
Anisimov
Sauer

Are all playing better, more consistent. And have more dignity in their game, and play at 100% every shift. Can't say the same for Gaborik. His stats are fine, but watching him play, he simply isn't putting forth an honest effort. It looks like he dogs a handful of shifts at a time.

I hope Gaborik makes me eat crow, I really do, because we are stuck with this guy at over a 7 mil cap hit for the next 3 1/2 seasons. And I'm assuming a no-trade clause, too.

Its pathetic when PRUST is playing more consistent then your 7+ mil "best player".
So Gaborik is your punching bag these days, eh SSM? You always have on guy at the very least you need to berate in EVERY post.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:18 AM
mrhockey193195

I knew from day one that Callahan's injury was going to very badly effect this team. His value is underappreciated by a lot of people, mostly non-rangers fans, but even some blueshirt fans don't recognize how valuable he is to the team. Points aren't the whole picture, he's a guy that leads by example and makes others play better.

Reminds me of a quote by Messier regarding Mike Richter. I'm paraphrasing, but Messier said something along the lines of Richter being the only player he ever played with whose work ethic on and off the ice actually shamed him (and their teammates) into playing better every night. Something very similar can be said about Ryan. I hope this guy plays his whole career in the broadway blue, I'll be devastated if he doesn't.

mrhockey193195 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:31 AM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
hes my favorite ny ranger player

hes the most complete hockey player we have.

future team capt.

and hes from upstate ny
Not too get too sappy (I'm trashed out of my ****ing mind, so I better watch what I say), but this guy will sooner or later become my favorite hockey player of all time. Nothing will make me happier than the Rangers winning the Stanley Cup on home, MSG ice and Ryan Callahan receiving the trophy as captain.

mrhockey193195 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:39 AM
Pizza

I'm a little surprised by this thread. Cally is HUGE for us. You don't get a guy like Torts singing praises like that for just anybody. He would talk Cally up game after game.

Now, I'd love to see some guys step up and have some big games for us.

Again, the guy we spent all the money on and are relying on heavily to produce is having trouble gettin er done. Gaborik is just off. He does not look the same. Keep the money in house and spend it on home grown guys. They always seem to be the better value.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:56 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
No, its just that people didnt realize what a piece of garbage and cancer that Drury is to this team.

Heartless POS wearing the C is rubbing off on the entire team.
Seriously? Drury a cancer? And Heartless? Did you forget the ""?

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
This is a joke right? Please tell me you're not serious with this statement. The players should not block shots because they've been getting hurt? WTF? This might be one of the worst statements i've read in weeks. It is not a strategy it is simply they're nature to go down and block a shot to help win a game. How the hell could you ask your players to stop doing that and kick that habit?? Blocking a shot could be the difference between winning and losing a playoff game, killing a PP in a big game, etc. Injuries happen, they're part of the game. The last few seasons we haven't truly been bitten by the injury bug. Yeah we lost prospal last year for a stretch and gaborik for a little here and there but those arent big injuries. The devils losing Parise is a huge injury. This team should by no means "jettison" blocking shots from their game.
Sorry, don't like it. It's a crutch. We blocked a ton of shots last year, where'd that get us? Let the goalie block the shots, he's got the extra gear on for that. The five skaters need to do just that: skate, play hockey for chrissakes. Don't be a cone.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:13 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirts702 View Post
So Gaborik is your punching bag these days, eh SSM? You always have on guy at the very least you need to berate in EVERY post.
I do?

show me where I berate a player in ?every post?.

Gaborik is immune to well deserved criticism?

Old
01-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Seriously? Drury a cancer? And Heartless? Did you forget the ""?
Nope, I didnt forget it.

He is a disgrace to our uniform to be wearing that C.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:36 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'm a little surprised by this thread. Cally is HUGE for us. You don't get a guy like Torts singing praises like that for just anybody. He would talk Cally up game after game.
I'm surprised too - and thats kinda what I wanted to convey.

If you told me i wouldve posted that OP 3 weeks ago, i would've said you're nuts. Because If theres anyone who appreciates Callys leadership, effort and consistency I'd like to think its me. I'm surprised at myself for maybe thinking we could "get by" without him for a little while and its not just because the Rangers have had trouble scoring lately. Its more than that.

Im just trying to point out that I can see things getting hairy the next few weeks here and I keep going back to what this team lacks without Cally in the lineup - so i decided to offer up a bit of crow to myself and in the process credit Callahan's presence even more.

Not saying this team is going to fall off the map by any means. But the games have caught up to them. They are in 7th now, they have a bit of a trap game tonight against a team thats had their number lately. Tonights huge because the next 6 games after tonight the Rangers play 6 playoff teams, all of whom average 48 points on the season and then they still have the Thrashers and Caps AFTER that this month.

Very tough road ahead, and unfortunately I think this thread is going to become more appropriate for lack of a better word.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:06 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
I do?

show me where I berate a player in ?every post?.

Gaborik is immune to well deserved criticism?
The guy has had a shoulder (stick control) and groin (skating) injuries this year which he's been playing through. Might that earn him some slack?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:21 AM
eco's bones

Not sure whether Gaborik is 100% or not. He should be averaging somewhere between 4 and 5 shots per game not less than 3 which is where he is now. Have to wonder about the guys playing with him as well.

Drury in-Callahan out is not a good deal. Rangers have lost some forecheck and quite a bit of physical play. Chris can be a really streaky point (and goal) producer but I'm thinking that last year wasn't an aberration. He's on the decline. Have doubts that Drury is going to be bought out. I think there is some chance he'll be traded but more likely around next year's deadline. Wondering where some of Drury's supporters here are? Have they all gone?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Nope, I didnt forget it.

He is a disgrace to our uniform to be wearing that C.
That's a little different than calling him a cancer. There's no way the guy hurts the team just by being there as opposed to being injured.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:28 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Sorry, don't like it. It's a crutch. We blocked a ton of shots last year, where'd that get us? Let the goalie block the shots, he's got the extra gear on for that. The five skaters need to do just that: skate, play hockey for chrissakes. Don't be a cone.
Haha don't be a cone? Are you a girl? Or have you just never played any real physical sports at a highly competitive level? Like I said you dont think about it when it is happening, you just do it because it is your nature to do so. It does make a difference. Lets just let all shots get through? So when the puck is at the point the defending forward should move out of the way and let the clean shot go through in the hopes that his goalies isnt already being screened by an opposing forward? Wait wait your gona say no our defending forward should just stand in front of the shooting lane. Oh so hold on....soooo Henrik could have 2, maybe even 3 possible players screening him. Youre talking out of your ass. This whole theory of yours is asinine.

Fedotenko and Callahan took shots off the hand. They were unlucky. IT HAPPENS! Go ask callahan yourself what he's gonna do when he returns. I sure as hell bet he WON'T say that he'll stop going down to block shots. I bet you he'll say that he's going to start wearing the gloves that Boyle has been wearing for more protection.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'll venture to say that his team is hovering around .500 if they blocked half the shots they have.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:17 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
The guy has had a shoulder (stick control) and groin (skating) injuries this year which he's been playing through. Might that earn him some slack?
No.

Everyone is banged up mid-season.

That's no excuse for lack of consistent effort. And if he cant give the effort, he needs to sit out until he can.

That's my complaint, and Tortorella pretty much called him out on it, too. Lack of an honest effort every shift.

Old
01-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Haha don't be a cone? Are you a girl? Or have you just never played any real physical sports at a highly competitive level? Like I said you dont think about it when it is happening, you just do it because it is your nature to do so. It does make a difference. Lets just let all shots get through? So when the puck is at the point the defending forward should move out of the way and let the clean shot go through in the hopes that his goalies isnt already being screened by an opposing forward? Wait wait your gona say no our defending forward should just stand in front of the shooting lane. Oh so hold on....soooo Henrik could have 2, maybe even 3 possible players screening him. Youre talking out of your ass. This whole theory of yours is asinine.

Fedotenko and Callahan took shots off the hand. They were unlucky. IT HAPPENS! Go ask callahan yourself what he's gonna do when he returns. I sure as hell bet he WON'T say that he'll stop going down to block shots. I bet you he'll say that he's going to start wearing the gloves that Boyle has been wearing for more protection.
Are you a professional athlete? or a professional jackass?

NOT blocking shots means doing NOTHING? Is that what I said?

NO. What I want is agressive play. GO AND GET THE DAMN PUCK, don't just sit back and let them shoot. Is that being a girl? Are you 12yo?

Letting them shoot is a strategy?

You talk like you have NHL experience. I'll bet you're just a little twerp.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
No.

Everyone is banged up mid-season.

That's no excuse for lack of consistent effort. And if he cant give the effort, he needs to sit out until he can.

That's my complaint, and Tortorella pretty much called him out on it, too. Lack of an honest effort every shift.
Gaborik has been an stealthy kind of player his entire career. Not sure why you'd expect that to change.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:38 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Gaborik has been an stealthy kind of player his entire career. Not sure why you'd expect that to change.
Its one thing to be stealthy, its another to float.

And I know it isn't that he can't play hard. Because when he decides to, he has a hard working shift. But it isn't sustained. He's too inconsistent for an "elite" player.

Old
01-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Its one thing to be stealthy, its another to float.

And I know it isn't that he can't play hard. Because when he decides to, he has a hard working shift. But it isn't sustained. He's too inconsistent for an "elite" player.
If you're looking for Gaborik to start taking on the identity the majority of the rest of this team has developed, then you're flat out of luck. Hes not going to get out there and start banging/getting into the dirty areas of the ice - but he does have one thing this team severely lacks - skill...we cant field a team entirely composed of plumbers just because they "try hard." Hes also had shoulder and groin problems this year with directly effect his two most potent weapons, his shot and his speed...but thats an entirely different and redundant issue when it comes to Gaborik.

Hes also over 25 years old and not a home grown Ranger so its no surprise to me that hes the guy you're bashing.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 04:39 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Are you a professional athlete? or a professional jackass?

NOT blocking shots means doing NOTHING? Is that what I said?

NO. What I want is agressive play. GO AND GET THE DAMN PUCK, don't just sit back and let them shoot. Is that being a girl? Are you 12yo?

Letting them shoot is a strategy?

You talk like you have NHL experience. I'll bet you're just a little twerp.
Little twerp? You sound like the 12 year old talking.

And i love your clever professional jackass comment, real intelligent thought behind that one.

No I am not a professional athlete but I've played at every level up until that status and its just as competitive maybe even more considering you don't get paid in college to play a game. I know what it is like.

Did you ever think that maybe they dont have enough time to "go and get the damn puck." Maybe, just maybe they are on the PK and they are sliding over to defend the other point man and dont have enough time to skate up to him to get right in his face before a Bryan McCabe lets a big slap shot go. And you know what it could be even strength too. Blocking shots is important, every team does it. No one team has any strategy where they emphasize to their players that they should not go down and block shots if possible. I've seen ovechkin go down and block shots. I guess he's an idiot too. Maybe you should go tell him that. You continue to talk out of your ass. You provide no response to anything said. You ignore the part where callahan would tell you he will continue to block shots because its part of his game which got him to the NHL because ultimately you most likely agree with it. You sound like a disgruntled rangers fan frustrated with injuries that are part of the game and this just happened to be our year to be bit by the injury bug. And yet the team is still competing. Stop crying, thats life, thats the game. Get over it.

Old
01-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Notice we've blocked many more shots than last year and thus have let in significantly less goals? What do u want guys to get out of the way of the puck to avoid injury? No, this is a blue-collar,hard working team blocking shots is a huge facet of this teams success. You said the 5 skaters need to just play hockey, blocking shots is a part of the game. Weve got hit by the injury bug yes, we've been very lucky over thelast few years not having many injuries but you can't just up and stop blocking shots because your afraid of injuries, that's not how it works.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 05:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If you're looking for Gaborik to start taking on the identity the majority of the rest of this team has developed, then you're flat out of luck. Hes not going to get out there and start banging/getting into the dirty areas of the ice - but he does have one thing this team severely lacks - skill...we cant field a team entirely composed of plumbers just because they "try hard." Hes also had shoulder and groin problems this year with directly effect his two most potent weapons, his shot and his speed...but thats an entirely different and redundant issue when it comes to Gaborik.

Hes also over 25 years old and not a home grown Ranger so its no surprise to me that hes the guy you're bashing.

Gaborik has to show up to important games, and put out an acceptable compete level, just like everyone else. He's relied upon to be a game breaker. There needs to be a consistent compete level for that to happen.

Your comment out of left field is false. Even so, 12 homegrown players on the NHL roster, with more on the way.

Old
01-05-2011, 05:44 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Notice we've blocked many more shots than last year and thus have let in significantly less goals? What do u want guys to get out of the way of the puck to avoid injury? No, this is a blue-collar,hard working team blocking shots is a huge facet of this teams success. You said the 5 skaters need to just play hockey, blocking shots is a part of the game. Weve got hit by the injury bug yes, we've been very lucky over thelast few years not having many injuries but you can't just up and stop blocking shots because your afraid of injuries, that's not how it works.
Thank you. Thank you. And thank you.

Old
01-05-2011, 05:50 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Expecting an EFFORT from your team's "elite" player, is not asking too much.

I'm not asking for a goal per game.