HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers waive Michael Leighton; cleared waivers, sent to Phantoms (AHL)

Old
01-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

vCash: 500
That would be a surefire way to get eliminated in playoffs. I'd rather stick with Boosh, who has more playoff experience than Leighton.

edit: well, that's a depressing sentence to re-read. What a goalie situation.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:25 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You don't just throw people into a MRI because you feel like it.... and a routine physical isn't going to turn up the problem he had.

There's a point where it's on the players to be honest about how their bodies feel. Leighton wasn't.
Yeah, but this isn't a routine thing though. When you're talking about giving a player a multi-million dollar contract, then it just makes sense to ensure that said player is healthy. That's just bad business to sign a player to that kind of money and not have something routine in place to ensure that they are healthy.

I mean, even baseball GMs ensure that before any player gets their money, physicals and MRIs are performed. The only time I remember a team didn't give a player an MRI was when the Toronto Blue Jays traded for Mike Sirotka and it turned out he had a torn labrum. Major League Baseball held up the trade because Toronto did not perform due diligence.

The point is, even if a player says they are healthy, it is the organization's responsibility to check to ensure the player is healthy. And once again, if it means ordering an MRI, then hell yeah, you order an MRI before you give anyone a multi million dollar contract.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 07:13 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Yeah, but this isn't a routine thing though. When you're talking about giving a player a multi-million dollar contract, then it just makes sense to ensure that said player is healthy. That's just bad business to sign a player to that kind of money and not have something routine in place to ensure that they are healthy.

I mean, even baseball GMs ensure that before any player gets their money, physicals and MRIs are performed. The only time I remember a team didn't give a player an MRI was when the Toronto Blue Jays traded for Mike Sirotka and it turned out he had a torn labrum. Major League Baseball held up the trade because Toronto did not perform due diligence.

The point is, even if a player says they are healthy, it is the organization's responsibility to check to ensure the player is healthy. And once again, if it means ordering an MRI, then hell yeah, you order an MRI before you give anyone a multi million dollar contract.
He finished the year healthy and played in the Stanley Cup Final. Why would they assume he wasn't healthy? They signed him for 2 years 1.55M - if you are talking about dotting your eyes and crossing your tees, then you look at guys like Pronger, Briere, Richards and Carter. Guys with long contracts for big money. This was a short term contract for low money. And since he is now in the minors, that is how easy it was to correct.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 07:19 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
He finished the year healthy and played in the Stanley Cup Final. Why would they assume he wasn't healthy?
He finished the reg season injured, hence Boucher playing against New Jersey and Boston and played hurt against Chicago

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 07:39 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
During the stretch run he would need to clear re-entry waivers... But there are no waivers in the postseason (CBA 13.2)
You sure about this? I have read this section and I am not clear that Leighton will be OK to come up in the playoffs. But like everything in that document, it seems vague.

Old
01-05-2011, 07:48 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
You sure about this? I have read this section and I am not clear that Leighton will be OK to come up in the playoffs. But like everything in that document, it seems vague.
Players don't get paid in the playoffs.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 08:02 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Players don't get paid in the playoffs.
I thought they get paid, but not by the team

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 08:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 580
Leighton would still have to clear re-entry waivers in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

That's a different sport. Leighton wasn't visibly hurt, and he wasn't telling anyone he was hurt. You can't just say "well, let's just give you an MRI anyways." The player has a right to not be subjected to medical treatment if he's telling everyone he isn't hurt.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:03 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Leighton would still have to clear re-entry waivers in the playoffs.
I agree. From what I have read in the CBA, players in Leighton's status (previous NHL experience) always fall into re-entry waivers. I don't think there is any scenerio where he can be called up and slip past this rule. Either way - I consider him a part of last years team - not this years. As of today, Michael Leighton is no longer a Flyer and he is not coming back to the NHL this year.

Old
01-05-2011, 09:06 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
I agree. From what I have read in the CBA, players in Leighton's status (previous NHL experience) always fall into re-entry waivers. I don't think there is any scenerio where he can be called up and slip past this rule. Either way - I consider him a part of last years team - not this years. As of today, Michael Leighton is no longer a Flyer and he is not coming back to the NHL this year.
That's what SHOULD happen. We will see if that's actually the case. I have a growing fear that Homer is going to royally F this one up.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:12 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
With a questionable injury history, a spotty performance in his first game back last week with four goals against, and an unproven track record, few teams would be willing to take a stab at $1.55 million per season.

The New York Islanders, who dealt starter Dwayne Roloson to Tampa Bay on Saturday, are second in the waiver pecking order to New Jersey. Oft-injured Rick DiPietro went down with an injury last night in Calgary, which could pique the interest of Isles general manager Garth Snow in Leighton.

Where it gets tricky for the Flyers, who wouldn't mind having Leighton stashed in Adirondack as an insurance policy against Brian Boucher and Sergei Bobrovsky, is that Leighton would be unlikely to make it back through re-entry waivers if he was recalled.

A team in the playoff hunt or with a goaltending injury could claim Leighton for half the price, with the Flyers taking on the other half. With valuable playoff experience, Leighton would be an attractive asset at $775,000 - much closer to his actual value.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...112849509.html

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:37 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
That's what SHOULD happen. We will see if that's actually the case. I have a growing fear that Homer is going to royally F this one up.
I hear you......but I just can't see it. Not after Jones and knowing we would be on the hook for 750,000 next year and likely lose Leino as a result. I just can't fathom that kind of mistake.

Old
01-05-2011, 09:54 AM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
I hear you......but I just can't see it. Not after Jones and knowing we would be on the hook for 750,000 next year and likely lose Leino as a result. I just can't fathom that kind of mistake.
It's a legitimate fear. Pretty much every poster here feared that Homer would eff up the Jones situation, hoped he wouldn't be that stupid, and found out that he genuinely is that clueless. I hold out very little hope for him handling Leighton any better.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:23 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
What's funny is that all the Holmgren fans who give him props for signing Leighton, over Turco, Mason, or Ellis fail to realize that at least these guys are in the NHL

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:28 AM
mirimon

Quote:
A few seasons ago when we got all those defenders injured during the playoffs we had Gauthier in the AHL and there were some rumblings about him being called up I believe, but that didn't happen because he'd have to clear re-entry waivers.

Of course, that off season we sent him and the obligatory 2nd rounder for two of the Kings ECHL players. He was a good player on and off the ice during his season with the Phantoms from what I've understood though, so maybe it's the right thing to do to reward that by giving him another chance in the NHL. After all, we don't wanna be perceived as a classless organization...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:38 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
What's funny is that all the Holmgren fans who give him props for signing Leighton, over Turco, Mason, or Ellis fail to realize that at least these guys are in the NHL
Those other guys would have cost less, as well.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:48 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
And that means we should have signed them? Leighton has his injury as the reason he hasn't played well (since he HASN'T PLAYED). The other guys on your list can all be found in the bottom of every statistical category for goalies. If Bobrovsky and Boucher was combined with any of those goalies and how they are playing now - they would all be in the same situation.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:53 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Those other guys would have cost less, as well.
Mason is more but otherwise, yea.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Garbage Goal

@phillyfanatic: I can't quote your post for whatever reason (the quote doesn't shot up), but yes, it does mean we should have signed one of them over Leighton.

I find it humorous that you still defend Leighton even when he's sent to the AHL and when the popular opinion is vastly different then yours.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:10 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
And that means we should have signed them? Leighton has his injury as the reason he hasn't played well (since he HASN'T PLAYED). The other guys on your list can all be found in the bottom of every statistical category for goalies. If Bobrovsky and Boucher was combined with any of those goalies and how they are playing now - they would all be in the same situation.
and these guys are all in the NHL playing on teams with subpar defenses. in some cases less money. So you think Turco for example would be on his way to Adirondack? Come on man, I know you are smarter then that.
Ill give Holmgren credit for one thing, he realized he effed up in giving Leighton that money and put him on waivers. Now if he tries to put Leighton on re-entry waivers it will be even more indefensible then the Jones situation.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:02 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
and these guys are all in the NHL playing on teams with subpar defenses. in some cases less money. So you think Turco for example would be on his way to Adirondack? Come on man, I know you are smarter then that.
Ill give Holmgren credit for one thing, he realized he effed up in giving Leighton that money and put him on waivers. Now if he tries to put Leighton on re-entry waivers it will be even more indefensible then the Jones situation.
Agreed. In the Jones case, as much as the majority could see it a mile away, it was a "fool me once" situation. Holmgren making the same mistake, at a greater cost?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:12 PM
dookie88

Quote:
They wouldn't be on this team.
In fact, they probably would've found themself in the same situation as Leighton. Both Bobrovsky and Boucher have been better than any of these guys.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:19 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
They wouldn't be on this team.
In fact, they probably would've found themself in the same situation as Leighton. Both Bobrovsky and Boucher have been better than any of these guys.
But Bob got his chance partly because Leighton was out with an injury. If Leighton were healthy or if Turco/Mason/Ellis had been signed instead, Bob may not have had the same opportunity to play.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:25 PM
xifentoozlerix

How many games has Leighton been on an NHL roster for each of the previous two seasons?

Quote:
The Re-Entry Waiver procedure will not, however, be applicable to
Veteran Minor League Players defined as follows: (i) for goaltenders, Players who
have: (A) played in 180 or more professional games in North America (NHL, AHL
and ECHL), and (B) not spent more than 80 NHL games on NHL roster over the
prior two (2) seasons or more than 40 NHL games on NHL roster in the
immediately prior season;
Leighton falls under A, but I am not so sure about B. It would appear he doesn't qualify for this given that Holmgren talked about re-entry, but it has to be pretty close. If playoffs count, then I think he has over 40 last season. Would be awesome if he actually didn't, though, since then Holmgren would have no way to easily screw this up.

Last edited by xifentoozlerix: 01-05-2011 at 12:35 PM.
xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:27 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

No sense getting wrapped around all the hypotheticals. The fact remains that the Leighton signing was ill-advised b/c he is a pedestrian goalie who caught lightening in a bottle, got his payout, and is now back to being a waiver retread. There was no reason to give this guy a substantial raise given his unproven track record. There was also no reason to not allow the market to determine his value. Sadly now we are seeing what his market value is. Holmgren just outright crapped the bed with Leighton and as people were saying it would have made more logical sense to sign one of those goalies with a more proven track record at a fair price given how the market was saturated in the offseason with goalies. I mean Holmgren seemed to have a Business 101 brain fart with Leighton and he didn't learn from the Jones debacle. But "it is what it is" I suppose...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote